Rainbow Brigade Ep. 3, April 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Holden's Orders -

1.) Move off the road in skirmishing formation to south-east toward the open space between the forest to east and coastline.
    2.) Send a rider to Major Bird to coordinate the movements of both units in an orderly fashion. Major Holden suggests that his unit take the lead as his is the lightest and can open fire at 1200 yards, giving Green Jackets an ample opportunity to engage the enemy's flanks with its position under fire or fixed. Dee's Hussars should be at forefront of Hammer 2's marching formation.
    3.) Send a rider to Dee's Hussars to coordinate the guarding of both Green Jackets and Badgers' flanks, and to screen the enemy movement.
    4.) Major Holden is to continuously scan the forest to see if any enemy force is located there, as Badgers Militia skirmishes toward the back end of the forest at its eastern edge.
    5.) If any enemy is sighted, engage them at long range only. No need to rush headlong into enemy force. Remind the officers and enlisted men that they have the best rifles in the whole army and they're able to pick enemy officers apart at 1200 yards. Do not let enemy approach us within its rifle range.

I would suggest that Dee's Hussars take the lead first as it's mobile and can spot enemy for us. They can check what's there behind the forest to east. After that, I'll take the lead marching toward that area. Green Jackets can follow behind or abreast me, ready to exploit any opening.

Hope to hear thoughts from Major Bird of Green Jackets and Major Dee of Hussars (Sennef?).

-- Major Holden's orders are subject to change until the deadline
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Is the deadline still on Saturday ?

If so I'll wait a few days longer to issue orders, I'd really like a single order for our entire subunit, instead of for each battalion separately...
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

Deadline is still Saturday. Being this is the start of a new episode, and I've still got one more player to finalize on their setup, I'm not in a rush for this turn. I want to make sure all active players chime in, and give Sennef time to give orders for our two players that are temporarily absent due to circumstances.....plus give you all time to discuss if you want clarifications or want to make suggestions to your General.

I will say that unlike the last one, this will be a more dynamic battle, by the nature that neither side is in established fortifications. So initiative is FAR more important, and losing it could have much broader consequences....with that in mind players will want to keep abreast of the deadlines, or note when they won't be able to make one due to RL so I'm aware.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Not to worry, if no news from Bates and/or K. before then I'll issue orders on Friday
          High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

My battery will initially move as far forward on the road to the edge of the forest as practical then move to one side of it remaining limbered and in column until the infantry deploy. We will stay in the woods far enough to give us a bit of cover and mask our location. That way I can pick the best location for supporting fire rather then deploy only to find the battery masked by our own troops.

Comment

Discussing the tactics and plans closely, Major Bates suggest that his men can move first and cover the movement of the bigger battalion Major Finch has. Bates Irregulars can screen the movement with their bodies and help Finch to reach the forest edge, at that point I shall form to Finches right flank and guard it and engage the enemy.
              From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
              Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
              "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
                B. Execution: Rainbow is to split up in 3 parts: North (RR), Centre (Road sector) and South (Coast sector).
                North: composed of major Pruitt Tarheels cavalry.
                Centre: Sennef’s Saddle Blazers, NC Militia Captain Richter, major Gardners’ battery. (Anvil)
                Major Leroy Tiger Rifles will be in reserve behind Centre
                South: Colonel Khryses NC GG; major Finch company; major Bates company. (Hammer 1).
                major Dee’s Hussars; major Birds Green Jackets; major Holden’s Georgia Badgers Militia (Hammer 2)
                It is an honor to be placed in the center, and fighting alongside Gardener's Gunners will teach his men a lot, no doubts about it.

But one thing nags at Richter's mind, his eyes keep going to the southern edge of the map. His men could infiltrate his guns all the way to the tip of that forest... but it would take some time. If the gunboats show up again, his men could play hide and seek with the navy gunners, but to what end?

No, the commander's plan the best way, and if the Yankees attack his new rifles will also get some use.

"I like it, let's get started!"

We will use the mules until the enemy is in sight, the men will need their strength for the day ahead.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                  Major Holden's Orders -

1.) Move off the road in skirmishing formation to south-east toward the open space between the forest to east and coastline.
                  2.) Send a rider to Major Bird to coordinate the movements of both units in an orderly fashion. Major Holden suggests that his unit take the lead as his is the lightest and can open fire at 1200 yards, giving Green Jackets an ample opportunity to engage the enemy's flanks with its position under fire or fixed. Dee's Hussars should be at forefront of Hammer 2's marching formation.
                  3.) Send a rider to Dee's Hussars to coordinate the guarding of both Green Jackets and Badgers' flanks, and to screen the enemy movement.
                  4.) Major Holden is to continuously scan the forest to see if any enemy force is located there, as Badgers Militia skirmishes toward the back end of the forest at its eastern edge.
                  5.) If any enemy is sighted, engage them at long range only. No need to rush headlong into enemy force. Remind the officers and enlisted men that they have the best rifles in the whole army and they're able to pick enemy officers apart at 1200 yards. Do not let enemy approach us within its rifle range.

I would suggest that Dee's Hussars take the lead first as it's mobile and can spot enemy for us. They can check what's there behind the forest to east. After that, I'll take the lead marching toward that area. Green Jackets can follow behind or abreast me, ready to exploit any opening.

Hope to hear thoughts from Major Bird of Green Jackets and Major Dee of Hussars (Sennef?).

-- Major Holden's orders are subject to change until the deadline
                  Let me deal with RL at my end. I'll try to respond by deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Senorankka View Post
                    Discussing the tactics and plans closely, Major Bates suggest that his men can move first and cover the movement of the bigger battalion Major Finch has. Bates Irregulars can screen the movement with their bodies and help Finch to reach the forest edge, at that point I shall form to Finches right flank and guard it and engage the enemy.
                    In that case I will move my 4 companies as a battalion unit rather than send my own skirmishers out, it will speed up movement, and make we arrive at our flanking position formed ready to advance.

Any word from K. ?

Edit, his force is a grenadier company apparently.

It can move as a 5th company with my battalion, that should probably allow him to jump straight into the action when he returns ?
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 01 Feb 18, 05:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                      Any word from K. ?

Edit, his force is a grenadier company apparently.

It can move as a 5th company with my battalion, that should probably allow him to jump straight into the action when he returns ?
                      Fine with me
                      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I will wait one more day, if no news I'll write up a single order that incorporates Bates' and has K. following, in the morning

Comment

Listening to Maj Holden's suggested plan, Maj Bird sees that in principle they are thinking alike. Maj Dee is also there, but seems quite absent minded at the moment.

''OK, I like the idea that you take the lead with your skirmishers. I will follow with my three companies in column...I will move more quickly behind you that way and be able to simply have the company lines turn left - or right - to face any threats on our flanks.

''Dee's Hussars will be ineffective in the thick forest and won't be able to screen properly until in open country. His mounted troops will not be able to maneuver until then and will be vulnerable. So I would suggest to Maj Dee to position his troops, also in column, on the GJ's right flank. I would also suggest that his troops stay dismounted until we get to the clearing in order to be less vulnerable.

''Once at the clearing, near the river, I would suggest that Holden troops stay put, ready to pour fire against any enemy that may emerge from the town. Using their long-range reach, they should also be able to shoot on anything on the pier - although that may be at maximum effective range.

''At the clearing, Dee's Hussars can remount and accomplish their assigned task...Although I tend to think that a better use for them is to take and occupy the large building West of the pier to control both the entries to the South of the town and the pier...With Holden providing them long-range accurate rifle fire, they won't be there unsupported.

''As for the GJ, once Holden is in position and Dee has departed, I will simply have my Battalion do a left turn, therefore deployed into a line and carry on with Hammer 2.

''I will send Lt Dyers to Maj Finch to act as my eyes and ears with Hammer 1.

''If Lt Dyers comes back telling me that Hammer 1 as met little or no resistance, or at least, seems to be defeating the enemy and does not require any help, I am going to turn the GJ eastwards and move rapidly to capture to West end of the town.

''Questions?''
                          Last edited by Capt AFB; 01 Feb 18, 21:57.

Comment

We need to clarify if the red line is a trench line or not. It has been brought up that the brown line into the "All Water" is a bridge. I thought it was a pier. If we can clear that up it will help.

I don't like that we are all going to deploy from the Southern edge of the Middle Wood. Can I instead skirt around the woods a bit and follow the rail line down? That would place me on the flank of any Yankees hidden in these woods.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The red line is simply the farthest that a mounted rainbow unit can deploy prior to officially starting. It will vanish after the update. And the brown line is a pier not a bridge.
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Good that means my orders can stand as written.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X