Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Course of Action should Rainbow follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current Status

We can do it here, this thread is shorter anyway.

Units After Lightly Wounded Have Returned:
    (Note: The number in front of the weapons are the number of sets of kit of that type available from stores)

Brigade stores Unattached to units
    12 Wagons (24 men)

Gardner’s Battery (Maj. Gardner)(TAG)Veteran
    2 x 3.5in Blakely Rifles
    4 x 10lb Parrott Rifles
    1 Wagon
    32 Men (grey-blue uniforms w/ red facings)
    Smoothbore Musket/Bayonet

Tar Heel Troop (Maj. Pruitt)(Pruitt)Regular
    105 Cavalry (Grey Jackets, Jeancloth trousers, assorted covers)
    25 3 x 1860 Colt Army
    Enfield Short Rifle

Sennef’s Saddle Blazers (Brig. Gen. Sennef)(Sennef)Regular
    112 Cavalry (blue/grey uniforms, Crimson Cavalry Hats some with ostrich plumes)
    8 Tranter Revolver
    Saber
    Sharps Carbine

Dee’s “Dutch” Hussars (Maj. DODee)(Businessman Bonus)Veteran
    59 Cavalry (Green Jackets, Black Trousers, Black boots and Shako)
    16 Kammerlader Rifle
    1850 Swedish Cavalry Pistol (Smoothbore shot-pistol)
    Kerr Revolver
    1842 Swedish Saber (Straight Falchion-like Heavy Cavalry Saber)

NC Grenadier Guards (Col. Fawcett)(Khryses)Crack
    130 Infantry (Green Frocks w/black front panels, Green/Black Helmets, Butternut Trousers)
    10 Dryse 1841/Bayonet
    Bowie Knife
    Grenades (10 per man)(2 per man carried in battle)

Bird’s Green Jackets (Maj. Bird)(Capt AFB)(Businessman Bonus)Veteran
    268 Infantry (Green Sack Coats and Trousers)
    212 Jaegergewehr 1856/59 / Bayonet
    Wagon of Supplies and Ammunition in personal stores

Finch’s Company (Maj. Finch)(Snowy)Veteran
    456 Infantry (Variety of Homespuns, good boots)
    29 1853 Enfields/Bayonets
    Shovel or Axe per man

Bates’ Company (Maj. Bates)(Sen)(Businessman Bonus)Veteran
    92 Infantry (Green Sack Coats, Butternut Trousers)
    38 Calisher & Terry Carbines
    Single-shot Pistol
    Dirk

Tiger Rifles (Maj. Leroy Wounded)(Fritgern)(Soldier Bonus)Crack
    103 Infantry (Blue/White Striped Pantaloons, Red Shirts/Blue-Red Jackets), Straw Hats & Fezzes)
    27 1853 Enfield/Bayonet
    Single-shot Pistol
    Cutlasses

Georgia Badgers Militia (Maj. Holden)(Cheetah)(Businessman Bonus)Veteran
    117 Infantry (Solid Green Sack Coat and Trousers, Brown leathers, brogans and Slouch Hat)
    15 Whitworth Rifles w/Globe sights (1200yd range)
    Kerr Revolvers
    1796 Heavy Cavalry Sword (carried on baldric)

NC Militia (Capt. Richter)(Exorcist)(Soldier Bonus)Regular
    103 men (Homespuns)
    1842 Springfield Musket/Bayonet

-------------

Available Replacement Troops:

Option 2: 400

Weapons Available:

12lb Dahlgren Heavy Boat Howitzer: 3
    1860 Colt Army: 60 (4pt)
    Enfield: 1050 (2pt)
    Springfield 1855: 840 (2pt)
    Springfield 1842: 50 (1pt)
    Cutlasses: 50 (1pt)

Ruling on Weaponry, before you ask:

Units must maintain a homogenous weapons loadout. So for example the NCGG can't go beyond the number of additional kits noted, since there's no time to have ordered and received weapons from overseas or other sources. Unless they wish to give up their Dryse's of course and go for 1855 Springfields or something.

I will allow single-shot pistols or carbine length weapons to be made by local artisans out of existing rifles, since the big horse-pistols could be made by cutting down the barrels and restocking. I will also allow cutlery to be procured.....swords/sabers/cutlasses. But that is all.

Whatever of your troops own kit that is not used in this episode will be stored once and only once. Whatever of the captured kit that is not used in this episode will immediately go to equipping new regiments being raised by the government.

Ruling on Replacements:

Due to the short timeframe to train men, once you pass an addition of 10% beyond your current troop strength specified above, you will risk losing experience, with a level per 10% troops added. Note that those with "Soldier Bonus" noted are career officers and their troops will not drop below Regular Status. There is a VERY SLIGHT chance (1 in 10) that you won't lose experience, but that's all. I'll account for the odd chance that you wind up with some excellent recruits, but no more.

Conclusions

Yes there will be some hard choices, this is war, and there are not always enough plates at the table to go around. There might have been more recruits available and time to procure, but then the fight might have also been more complicated and the opportunity not as great.
    Last edited by TacCovert4; 26 Jan 18, 19:18.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Well, I need but a handful of good replacements (about 10 to 15) and that's the extent of my battery's requirement at the moment.

Comment

If they are available, I would like 25 replacements. I can arm them from the weapon sets we have after we send the wounded off. Since we are still in North Carolina, local men should blend in well. Do we have enough remounts or should they bring their own horse?

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Well, considering that there are available men to fill every hole in Rainbow's TO&E as well as add 12 new men, I'll handle simple replacement......if you want to go above your authorized strength, talk to Sennef and get his approval.

So, TAG, I can take you back to 40 without Sennef needing to say anything.

And Pruitt, Done.

Comment

See my previous post on requesting the best of cream in replacements.

Since I value the experience highly, I don't want to take on extra men. So that means I can only take on 15 men, because there's only 15 Whitworth rifles available. That's almost 10% of my current strength. So I should not suffer any penalty in experience loss.

Major Holden

Edit: The replacements should be armed with Whitworth rifles, Kerr revolvers (don't think I could get some 1860 Colt revolvers, wouldn't be enough to equip the entire company anyway), and Cutlass swords. The same equipment that my current troops are using.
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Okay, we talked about my guys taking on the 12 pounders, and those are Boat Howiztzers, like this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHTsx0p2Qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZELtMH8LLo

Hmm, kinds small, ain't they?
              ... but 12 pounds is 12 pounds, which gives me an idea.

I recall seeing one of those in a reenactment, and the crew was pretty clever. with 8 men they could drag it around at a jog, no need to expose the horses to enemy fire. They were also running around the edge of the field, in rough terrain.
              Lets try the same thing here.

I want to set up an assault artillery battery, and 3 guns will be fine for now. I have 100 men so I will need 100 of the better rifles too, I don't know what is better so I will take Enfield or Springfield depending on what is left over. 36 of the men will be taking care of the cannon and their ammo, and the rest will be riflemen working their way into range with the help of the cannon.
              With such small guns that can probably be served by men kneeling, they should be able to fight inside rifle-range too.

I will want grape and H.E., too. We may need a lot of it.

Will that work?
              I was hoping for months, but weeks will do. It really isn't such a radical departure, except for keeping it a combined-arms unit.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I would suggest taking the Enfields. The 1855 Springfield uses the Maynard Tape System and not caps. The Tape was prone to misfire. The Springfields should go back to an arsenal and be converted to caps. The 1861 Springfield is an 1855 converted to caps. The Richmond Arsenal produced near copies of the 1855/1861 with equipment seized at Harper's Ferry.

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The 12 pdr howitzer fires shell, spiracle case (shrapnel), and canister. ACW field guns were rarely issued grape as it is very hard on the gun barrel and offers no advantage over the spiracle case round.
                  The big trick with shell and case is getting the fuze cut accurately. You might get lucky and get some Bormann fuzes for yours if they were captured, otherwise you use wood (or less common lead or brass) time fuzes for the rounds.

The heavy Dahlgren weighs 750 lbs. gun + carriage and packs as four loads on horses or is carried by 8 to 10 men. Assembly or disassembly takes about 5 minutes with a trained crew. Its towed by one horse in the field when assembled and can be prolonged at a trot or walk by the crew.

Accurate range is about 750 yards give or take and maybe double that maximum. Canister can shoot to about 100 to 150 yards. Case and shell are good from about 300 yards out due to the minimum fuze time. These can still be fired as a shot without a fuze and the fuze hole plugged.
                  Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 26 Jan 18, 23:34.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Okay, we talked about my guys taking on the 12 pounders, and those are Boat Howiztzers, like this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhHTsx0p2Qg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZELtMH8LLo

Hmm, kinds small, ain't they?
                    ... but 12 pounds is 12 pounds, which gives me an idea.

I recall seeing one of those in a reenactment, and the crew was pretty clever. with 8 men they could drag it around at a jog, no need to expose the horses to enemy fire. They were also running around the edge of the field, in rough terrain.
                    Lets try the same thing here.

I want to set up an assault artillery battery, and 3 guns will be fine for now. I have 100 men so I will need 100 of the better rifles too, I don't know what is better so I will take Enfield or Springfield depending on what is left over. 36 of the men will be taking care of the cannon and their ammo, and the rest will be riflemen working their way into range with the help of the cannon.
                    With such small guns that can probably be served by men kneeling, they should be able to fight inside rifle-range too.

I will want grape and H.E., too. We may need a lot of it.

Will that work?
                    I was hoping for months, but weeks will do. It really isn't such a radical departure, except for keeping it a combined-arms unit.
                    You'll have a mule per gun for towing. There is no limber, only a field carriage. And yes men often prolonged the guns on the battlefield, I've personally done it in reenactments.

With no limber there are wheel chests which hold iirc 8 rounds each, plus every man carries a complete round, which was the traditional setup.

As for rifles, assume that men not involved in manning the pieces will be around in skirmish parties to protect the battery. Either rifle type works just fine and the 1855 would use Maynard primers or caps as designed. The Enfield is rapidly becoming rainbows bog standard rifle though. There are more than enough of each to go around.

Captain Richter is afoot, not being made of money, and is assumed to carry officers sword and revolver. If you desire for him to have a long arm, just note it.

Also your men were militia, wearing ragged homespun. Pplenty of us navy uniforms were captured, and local seamstresses assure you they can turn the blouses into shell jackets. There are both white and blue trousers and jackets, the combination is up to you.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Replacement of men: I'd like you to go top up Rainbow's TO&E, not go over, unless you can make a convincing case why we should sacrifice quality to quantity.

As for weapons: Every soldier considers his part of the trench the most important part of the front. I need to sound all your requests and give them the consideration they deserve.
                      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Call for volunteers

Gentlemen,

As preparation is half of the next battle, I'll be needing volunteers for a scouting mission.
                        Any takers?
                        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

Happy to volunteer. Though I suspect you prefer cavalry scouting right?
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Ok, the units still in need of handling replacements are:

Bird
                            Finch
                            Bates
                            Leroy

And I have 328 men remaining available. Of course not every man must be used.

As soon as this is done, I'll be posting Episode 3. Map is already complete, and Sennef has been given a sneak peek to start thinking about a plan.
                            Last edited by TacCovert4; 27 Jan 18, 09:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
                              Happy to volunteer. Though I suspect you prefer cavalry scouting right?
                              Thnx Holden. I do indeed have a slight preference for cavalry for scouting tasks and have therefore selected Dee's hussars for this mission.

Results of Dee's scouting of terrain and enemy will be shared with you'll commanders, after which I'll present you with the plan and the orders.
                              BoRG

Comment

I will volunteer for scouting duty, we are skirmishers after all. My men are experienced and are itching for action they know they can handle.

Also I would like to recruits 10 more men to boost my numbers to 102 without losing my experience.
                                From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
                                Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
                                "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X