Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Course of Action should Rainbow follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Course of Action should Rainbow follow?

During the war council atop the ruins of Fort Thompson, 3 CoAs were presented to Rainbow.

CoA1: Rainbow can pursue the Federals we saw leaving the field and try to bring them to battle in the next couple of days. We will only have time for the men to provision and clean their weapons before we have to move, and won't have time to replace losses. The Yankees are hurting badly, both in men and morale, but we saw several regiments still in sizeable numbers and good order. Estimates of Federal Strength at the outset of the battle were around 6000 men.

CoA2: Rainbow captured said packet, possibly dropped when General Foster fell, detailing plans to seige Fort Macon with a Brigade and capture Beaufort within the next month. We can make rapid replacement of losses with new recruits (full penalties will apply even to replacing losses, not just to adding new troops) and march to Beaufort, with a plan to engage Burnside again at Fort Macon.

CoA3:Rainbow can trust that with the damage inflicted to their army and fleet, Burnside will not be able to force Fort Macon, and that we will have time to reorganize Rainbow and train new recruits (Penalties will only apply to recruiting more than 10% above pre-battle strength). Roanoke Island is the Linchpin for most of the North Carolina Coast, and was captured back in February. If Rainbow waits to refit and train back to full strength, an operation to recapture Roanoke is almost certain unless Burnside is able to make further progress.

Only Player Characters need to vote.
    COA 1 action within days
    0.00%
    COA 2 action within weeks
    66.67%
    COA 3 action within months
    22.22%
    Other
    11.11%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Colonel Sennef; 24 Jan 18, 03:09.
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Finch rises and makes a short statement.

"I dislike the conveniently dropped package with enemy orders.

It's a classic ruse de guerre.

I suggest we operate under the assumption they are false, until we have indications to the contrary."

Finch sits again.
    High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

I vote we move to Fort Macon and prepare works to support the fort. We can do some replacement and training of new men once there. If the Yankees decide on a siege to take the fort we support it. If they go elsewhere then their plan has been foiled and an important port remains in Confederate hands.

Comment

As my GJ battalion is quite depleted, I voted CoA 3, but I am open for conducting CoA 2.

What may be a bit odd here is seeing Tac (Dan), who is the Game Master, voting "Other" CoA!?! Dan, as you are MC'ing this game, where do you want to bring us?

Comment

I was just opening the poll so I could observe. Ignore me, I'm just watching the poll with the intention of planning the next battle.

I'll give you all into the weekend to decide, then I'm going to get into the serious work of next battle and whatever reinforcements you get.

Just note, I've already established the option two replacement pool. To get more you'll have to go with option 3.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Perhaps we should do a headcount first ?

We seem to have lost some players compared to when the first game started - our commander most notably, some reorganizing may be in order ?

Will everyone be here for the next episode ?
            High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.

Comment

The best of us will be here. I think Real Life is getting in the way of some people.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

PoS: Circumstances have de facto resulted in non-participation and he's left the game.

DoD and Khryses: RL is happening, I'm aware, their companies are under the Aegis of Sennef until they can get back, or until it's obvious that they won't be returning.

The rest of the players are about, some more than others.

Oh, and not to put a 'restriction' on Sennef's polling, but I'll need a decision by Saturday at the latest so we can get to working on map/battle planning.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Glad to see there are no takers for CoA 1
                  I can see why there is at least one vote for CoA 3 since the more depleted Rainbow units will profit more of a longer period of rest in which the wounded can return to their respective units.
                  Other than that, are there other reasons in favour of CoA 3 which we haven't considered yet? Location wise, Time wise?
                  BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

I prefer 2 over 3 mainly because I don't see the prerequisites that led to the retaking of Galveston. There is no causeway between the mainland and the port or a number of steamboats available to ferry more troops. Sure, I would love to take time to rest and replace the casualties longer, but this operation would be easier. Notice I do not use the word easy.

Pruitt
                    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      (...)
                      Oh, and not to put a 'restriction' on Sennef's polling, but I'll need a decision by Saturday at the latest so we can get to working on map/battle planning.
                      Fair enough.

Since the vote is nowhere near tied, and I want to leave all options open for the others - I'll abstain and defer to the decision made by the majority of my fellow commanders.

Finch battalion is ready to march, today, in a week or in a month, whatever is needed

Comment

Ok, with polling at a rather bit of a landslide, I'll get to work.....

I'm going to presume that the General won't be choosing a different CoA, though he has 24 hours to decide if he's going to go with something besides CoA 2.

My plan in 24 hours is to post up the number of troops that each unit has after handling those that have returned to service, along with the detailed listing of weapons and replacement availability. Then give everyone a week to get their stuff worked out while I work out the details of Episode 3 and get it posted up.

Comment

CoA 2 it is.

Gentleman as this is the Army and not a democracy,
                          for what it is worth my vote goes to CoA 2 as well.

Next point on the agenda: the weapons and replacements available.
                          BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post

On this thread? Or back to the game playing one?

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
                              Gentleman as this is the Army and not a democracy,
                              for what it is worth my vote goes to CoA 2 as well.

I hope I don't jump the gun too early at this point.

However, I'm going to insist that I get the best of cream in replacements. I need guys who can hit a small target hundreds of yards away and be able to tell the difference between a grunt and an officer. I need men who think intelligently.

I don't want to be stuck with grunts who can't hit the side of anything without a gunfire volley pitching in.

I believe my unit is borderline on becoming a crack unit. After all, it was my guys who mowed down the command party, felling General Foster and injuring General Burnside. Yankees broke down after their officers were introduced to lead bullets.

All that occurred because I demand the best in my officers and men.

Major Holden
                              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X