Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    ..I feel your battery could do good work from the lee of the woods until the forest's defenders fall back..
    Alright move my Bty up to the infantry on the right, I'm pouting and sulking because nobody asked me to tag along in the first place (sniffle)

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
      Alright move my Bty up to the infantry on the right, I'm pouting and sulking because nobody asked me to tag along in the first place (sniffle)
      Post #52, Mr Tremayne

Trust me, after seeing you tear a hole in the Federals pressing across the ford, Fawcett is the last man to underestimate your battery’s effect!
      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post

Post #52, Mr Tremayne
        Trust me, after seeing you tear a hole in the Federals pressing across the ford, Fawcett is the last man to underestimate your battery’s effect!
        Yes I saw post 52 where you said- "..I strongly recommend a forward deployment in support of phase line red. Possibly in the lee of the woods, allowing you to fire at an oblique against forces pressing back Leroy and then relocate in a hurry if they turn their attention to you."

but I didn't know what "phase line red" was, or what "the lee of the woods" meant. Also why are we all standing in the open on the far right instead of hunkering down back in our cosy fortified line waiting for the enemy to come to us?
        As a great warrior will say some half a century from now about waiting for the waves of attacking Allied aircraft to come to him- "It is good that the customer comes to the shop"- Baron Manfred von Richthofen

Comment

If you put all the eggs in one basket, what happens when the enemy smashes the basket?

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I'm still concerned by the possibility of Union troops outflanking us by marching north of the river or going through swampy area south of woods. Do we have troops to spare to act as picket line in either sector? They'd be instructed not to engage the enemy and get back to us quickly, so that we can react appropriately to the enemy movements.
            Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              If you put all the eggs in one basket, what happens when the enemy smashes the basket?
              If it's a tough basket he might not be able to smash it at all..
              Call me wimpy but I'd rather be standing snugly in fortifications with the kettles and teacups than in the open.
              PS- to help me avoid continuing to make a fool of myself in future perhaps my esteemed commanders could give me specific grid references on this map during the course of events to ensure I'm warbling from the same song sheet?
              Incidentally is that short grey line at N11 a section of isolated fortification or what?
              (And might I ask how high is the railway embankment in regard to blocking our line of sight?)
              Yours, Tremayne

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 27 Oct 17, 12:42.

Comment

The big problem I see with our plan is we expect our troops to retain good order through what amounts to a retreating fight into those fortifications across ground that is muddy and could cause problems for the horses and men to move across, not to mention a woods where they're likely to get disorganized simply trying to move as a group.
                If the Union forces are right behind them, then the value of the fortifications is minimal as our boys will be rushed to man those positions, and have fouled weapons, and be tired from movement.

Hence why I suggested just skirmishers forward in the woods to force the Yankees to deploy while bothering them to no end. The skirmishers do not have to retreat in good order, only such that they know where to rally behind our line and form up in good order. By being in the woods, they have some cover, can fire out into the open to several hundred yards, and control the whole of their front with sufficient fire to bother the Union troops to no end.

That means the Union arrives in front of our fortifications tired from the fight, in poor order, and under steady fire at a distance from our boys who have the protection of the works.

The forward line also means that if Union gunboats show up, as expected, they can fire into the flank of that line at close range while our own artillery must try to support from a great distance.

Comment

Spike:

Indeed that is a piece of trench/breastwork. I think the idea had behind that is to give intermediate cover to ensure that a flank move down there gets bogged down more than a move in the center to the 'kill sack'.

Also, the RR embankment is just a few feet high. Enough to provide a level of breastwork to men kneeling. Also enough to obstruct direct artillery fire over it for about 100yds each side....just keep in mind that if they're tight to it, or you are, there will be a bit of dead ground around that embankment.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Orders Deadline

Map According to plan/orders

Orders Deadline is Tuesday, 1800est.

If you don't like where you're positioned for the start of the battle, change your orders before Tuesday. You can displace to anywhere for this update. After this movement will be in effect, so keep in mind rough movement speeds for your unit.

While I did initial placement based upon the plan laid out by Col. Fawcett, in the end each unit is the individual responsibility of the commander in question (except the militia, those guys are Fawcett's to direct). So if you think you'd be better off in a different position, then post up your orders after this post and I'll edit same by or on Tuesday when I do the initial update.

Expect Shooting to start with the next update. Gardner can see mast tops coming up the river.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I send a runner to let the Brigadier know that I see those masts. I have the men remove the tompions from the guns (loaded with shot) and prepare the battery for action.

Comment

Tremayne's Battery is on the other side of the woods with Dee's Cavalry beside them? There are three exits marked down the Rail Line where Yankees can emerge from the Swamp to their rear. What could possibly go wrong?

Comment

Tremayne's Battery is on the other side of the woods with Dee's Cavalry beside them? There are three exits marked down the Rail Line where Yankees can emerge from the Swamp to their rear. What could possibly go wrong?
                          Absolutely sir, a couple of days ago I ordered my battery to go stand in the line and left them to it while I went into town to buy vital supplies of tea, milk, sugar and cream buns, and when I return I find my men have somehow ended up in the woods!
                          Huh, serves me right for not heeding these sage words of wisdom-"I attribute my success on the battlefield to always being on the spot to see and do everything for myself"- Duke of Wellington

So I'm now ordering my fellows to limber up and move to the centre of the line at position 'X' as indicated below.
                          As the enemy come into sight from the east or wherever, I shall very briefly unleash several volleys at them at maximum gun range, then quickly re-limber and gallop back to the central strongpoint adjacent to Mr. Finch's right, rather than be caught in the open like sitting ducks as they close the range and their muskets begin speaking, especially as their gunboats have already been sighted coming to join in the shenanigans..
                          Yours, Tremayne
                          Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 28 Oct 17, 10:19.

Comment

Can someone help me out on the Map? We have a formation named "Holden" and another named "Militia". We have Cheetah772 down for the Georgia Badgers Militia, commanded by Captain Holden (Cheetah772). There are eleven players and we have twelve units? Did we get a new unit? I am a bit confused... (more than normal, that is!)

Major Pruitt Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Comment

Can someone help me out on the Map? We have a formation named "Holden" and another named "Militia". We have Cheetah772 down for the Georgia Badgers Militia, commanded by Captain Holden (Cheetah772). There are eleven players and we have twelve units? Did we get a new unit? I am a bit confused... (more than normal, that is!)

Major Pruitt Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                              The militia is given to us by generosity of General Branch, Facwett (or was it Sennef?) managed to convince Branch to reinforce Rainbow with a militia unit. So it will be controlled by Khryses. Look back through pages, you'll find Tac updating us with this gift.

Holden you see on the map is mine, I control it. I don't control the militia to north of my position.
                              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

Thanks, maybe if we ID the North Carolina Militia as the NC Militia it will help some of the confused?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X