No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The splitting up is for digging fortifications, as soon as the first sign of the enemy becomes apparent, I expect Finch battalion to be united at the blue line, as ordered by K. ,

that's why I edited in that cute last remark there at the end of my orders
    Last edited by Snowygerry; 26 Oct 17, 08:33.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

March 18th, 1862

Defenses of New Bern Map

For days, Rainbow, along with a veritable army of laborers pressed into doing the work, construct along the Neuse.

Fort Thompson is the main effort early on, and embrasures are made and protected with overhead cover, brick-reinforced magazines, and timber reinforced walls with abatis until it is as high and strong as possible. Piles are driven for platforms to support the weight and recoil of the guns and rifle-points are made atop the walls for men to fire from.

Three smaller strongpoints, able to be positions for an artillery battery or an infantry unit, are also built, two with 12ft high berms and equally deep moats, the southernmost only 6ft.

Dee's men return after three days in the swamp to report that it is passable, but not easily, and they don't think that more than a regiment at a time could use the deer trails they found with help from local guides.

Major Pruitt and his men return on the 16th, telling Col. Fawcett that General Burnside's Coast division is moving towards New Bern, with transports and 6 gunboats in support. They saw what they think are the 1st and 3rd Brigade, and no cavalry or artillery train ashore.

Colonel Fawcett puts efforts into building trench lines connecting the strongpoints and Fort Thompson. He also learns that Reno's 2nd Brigade was involved in an action several days ago elsewhere, but no word other than that on its possible location or disposition.

It is the morning of the 18th. Pickets report that Burnside's army is now crossing a small creek they had laagered at overnight five miles away, and will be arriving near the defenses shortly.

OOC Notes:

1) The Strongpoints in Black give a 10 percent efficiency bonus to artillery sited there.

2) Fort Thompson gives a 50% efficiency bonus to artillery sited there.

3) Fortifications CAN be reduced by artillery fire.

4) Field Guns in Fort Thompson will require 1 hour to extricate themselves if they are ordered to displace.

5) Field Fortification rules are in effect.....units can dig in in place at their usual rates for slit trenches, but they must remain at their slit trenches for them to be considered 'on the map' (downside to me allowing everyone to dig in like madmen at any opportunity, which is an interesting thought but highly ahistorical). Units cannot 'field improve' the existing lines.

6) Pruitt's Tar Heels start today as Tired.....they've had a rough several days over roads and trails.

7) Weather conditions are overcast with occasional showers. Ground conditions are considered fine for infantry or cavalry, moderate for artillery.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Major Pruitt orders his men to pull their saddles off and rub down the horses. Then he orders them to feed them grain. He then announces they can put the saddles back on and THEN they can brew coffee. If nothing untoward is happening they can cook some bacon. "Horses first and then the men!".

Each Platoon sends men back to draw hardtack from the supply wagon. The Major sends word to the Colonel that they are doing a little replenishing and are there any orders?

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I've had my men, carefully supervised, lay out range stakes from the fort at 200, 500, 750, 1000, 1500, and 2,000 yards that are observable from the fort to make range estimation to targets between the woods and river, or on the river, possible.

The men last evening were given some extra rations and whiskey to improve their morale. The officers and NCO's kept an eye on them that none drank too much.

The battery is ready for battle.

Comment

Captain Bates ask the command a permission to move out and skirmish with the enemy. He argues that his men can move faster than the rigid regiments and disturb the advance of Burnsides men which would give us more time. By deploying full company he can strike with half while the another half supports from another position. A bloody nose for Burnside.

Edit.
            After getting his permission, Bates quickly rides to his company and orders them to quick march to meet with Burnside as quickly as possible.

Giving his officers orders, the company is to screen, flank and harass the vanguard while withdrawing same time. One half attacks while another half prepares to take responsibility. Avoid own casualties as much as possible. Aimed shots only and try to hit their officers.

After skirmishing is done, the company circles through swamp and joins the defenses in lower part of the fortifications.
            Last edited by Senorankka; 26 Oct 17, 13:42.
            From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
            Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
            "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

You would be better placed in the center of our line. Artillery could hardy be expected to hold a flank by itself. That's better left to infantry. It is also better for artillery to fire at an oblique into enemy line formations that have little depth as this gives more potential damage per round than firing directly at them.

Comment

Major Tremayne,

After your strong showing on the banks of the Bull Run and as horse artillery I strongly recommend a forward deployment in support of phase line red. Possibly in the lee of the woods, allowing you to fire at an oblique against forces pressing back Leroy and then relocate in a hurry if they turn their attention to you.
                Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

State of Play

...as understood by me. Feel free to contradict or elaborate (these are not orders, only an assist pre-mapping the whole picture).

Screening the enemy: Bates

Northern Line Red: Leroy, Militia

Southern Line Red: Holden, Bird

Behind Line Red: Tremayne

Deep South Red (S of Railroad): Dee (later Bates)

Fort Thompson: Gardner, Hvy Gun (later Leroy, Militia)

Line Blue: Finch

In Reserve: Fawcett, Sennef, Pruitt

Comment

North Carolina Grenadier Guard are preparing firing pits in the lee of Fort Thompson (masked from the enemy approach by the structure) approx 600 yards back from the edge of the water and facing N in an E-W line. They are intended as fighting positions for 100-160 men, and should be developed for men primarily wielding breech-loaders. Ie, firing slits akin to the arrow slits of olden castles, except horizontal.

Once these are prepared the Guard return to the main reserve unless otherwise ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by Poor Old Spike
                      Thank you gentlemen, and taking your suggestions together with further sage advice just received by carrier pigeon from GM HQ, allow me to present my following amended plan which I humbly submit for your approval-
                      Phase 1- I intend starting my guns at position 'X' behind a simple earthen rampart which gives an excellent field of fire (ncluding oblique angles) from where they'll be able to lob shells on rainbow trajectories over the heads of our own infantry into the enemy at longish range.
                      Phase 2- Later when the enemy get closer and flatter trajectories are required, I won't be able to fire without the risk of hitting our own troops, so I shall limber my guns and rush them to whichever of the 3 strongpoints look to be in the most threatened sectors, from where I can fire directly into the enemies bewildered faces.
                      I understand the strongpoints will already be manned by contingents of our stalwart infantry, so hopefully they'll have the kettle on when I arrive and an ample supply of tea, milk and sugar.
                      Yours, Tremayne (Britannic Bty)

Good day Major,

While I concur with your operational plan, I strongly recommend utilizing the strongpoint immediately south of Finch's position. Most of our infantry are forward at this time so it is unoccupied and will provide your guns with a stable firing platform (read: combat bonus) which a temporary earthwork would not supply as readily.

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                        Good day Major,
                        While I concur with your operational plan, I strongly recommend utilizing the strongpoint immediately south of Finch's position. Most of our infantry are forward at this time so it is unoccupied and will provide your guns with a stable firing platform (read: combat bonus) which a temporary earthwork would not supply as readily.
                        Thank you sir, forgive me for sounding like a village idiot, but where is Finch?
                        And the infantry are "forward" where? Have I missed seeing a new updated map showing exact dispositions and names?
                        Suggestion- the strongpoints could be labelled 1,2 and 3 for easy reference.
                        As I mentioned to our esteemed GM some time ago, this whole game system is unlike anything I've been involved with before and my thick head is only used to a boardgame hex grid system which regulates movement and positioning and nomenclature etc..

Comment

OOC: Within a particular episode, any map link will always take you to the most updated map.

Currently all units were arranged on the map according to the 'plan' unless otherwise noted by that unit's commander. If anyone would like to alter their disposition, you've got till Tuesday to do so. You can refer back to any map link in this thread, it'll take you right to it.
                          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The same link leads to the (now updated) map:

I have marked the recommended position for your battery in yellow (not the yellow arrow in the fort).

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                              The same link leads to the (now updated) map:

I have marked the recommended position for your battery in yellow (not the yellow arrow in the fort).
                              Okay thanks, I'll set up my guns in the middle strongpoint.
                              I completely missed the new map, the last map link I see is way back in post #47, do I have to keep going to 47 to check if it's been updated?
                              PS- Are the grey lines between the strongpoints breastworks?
                              What are the three bright green arrows on the edge of the woods to the south?
                              Why are most of our infantry way over on the right? Do my guns and the guns in the fort have the range to support them?
                              Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 26 Oct 17, 19:10.

Comment

1. It's a living map - Tac updates it as the situation changes, and the same link always leads to the current situation. Maybe add it as a bookmark in your browser for convenience? I have.

2. Yes, they're level 1 breastworks (shallow ditch topped by breastwork lining) which give our infantry a bonus to fight from.

3. They're the projected exit points for an enemy force that becomes aware of, finds a guide for and chooses to follow deer paths through the impassable swamp to our south. Thanks to Dee's hussars for scouting the area and speaking to the local hunters.

4. The enemy is approaching from this direction, and the bulk of our infantry is to engage and give ground back to our defensive positions (now fortified). If you would like to move forward, I feel your battery could do good work from the lee of the woods until the forest's defenders fall back. Gardner is able to supply fire support against gunboats and anyone trying Leroy/Militia (who are only meant to fire one or two volleys anyway).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X