No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to stop Yankee Gunboats from going up the river, float some kegs in a line across the river with the kegs just showing above the water. The US Navy will think they are torpedoes (Mines). I don't think we have the resources to actually blow one up as they approach. It would take an electric cable out to the keg. I doubt the river bottom is high enough to plant some stakes. A log boom will not hold them long. A chain has a chance but that is something that takes a while to fashion.

I still think we should place some rifle pits 100 yards in front of the fort and put the Badger militia and their Whitworths there. We should put the Tremayne Battery behind a position down by the Railroad. We can put Bates Company in rifle pits 100 yards in front of them. The rest of the Infantry should be put in a line approximately 300 yards in front of the Fort going North to South from the River. The Cavalry will be a reaction force for whatever point looks like it is not holding. Place them by the buildings by the Railroad. Some Abatis in front of our lines and some covered holes (trip holes) would be a nice touch.

We should keep this KISS simple.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
    Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Their gunboats are going to have anything from 20 pdrs, up to 8" smoothbores aboard. They can sit back a mile or more and pound us. Our only hope to defeat them is use shell and set them on fire.

The fort needs some overhead cover and lots of abatis out front of it. The infantry can help with the guns until the enemy gets close and then man the ramparts to fend them off. We don't need a lot of men there. One man firing from cover is worth several standing in ranks in the open.

The howitzers are wasted on the railway cut. Their battery frontage is about 50 yards, possibly more. That cut is 10 yards wide at most. You might get one or two guns firing down it.

Comment

One or two guns firing down the railway cut is fine. The rest will aim for Yankee Infantry coming from the woods. I don't want to see any of our troops firing in line in the open when they can be firing from Rifle Pits or behind positions. If you put men in the Fort they will have to surrender when the Fort surrenders. The Yankees had a good record for taking River Forts. Where Confederates built hasty emplacements along the Mississippi and in Tennessee they were able to make much damage with even 6 Pound Brass Howitzers! See the Red River Campaign and Nathan Bedford Forrest).

I think Gardner's Battery can blow up any approaching Gunboats and I have not seen anything about mortar vessels. Gunboats have limited fields of fire and they need Mortars to sit back out of range. The 68 Pound Gun on a nice steady platform should be able to reach out and touch the Yankees.

We need a way out if things don't work out.

Comment

The newly-minted Colonel Fawcett thanks his commander for his trust in running the battle ahead, and hopes the General hasn't taken too many honorable war wounds among the politickers and the lobbyists.

"Thank you sir. I fully expected you to arrive during the planning phase, so kept my original plans highly notional as a starting point for our command council and to provide you with a shared pool of our collected wisdom on arrival. If you feel your business in Raleigh may not be done, I wonder if you could stop in on New Bern? A request from a Colonel is all well and good, but I feel that a General's request for reinforcement is harder for Branch to refuse." He gestures at his friend's new insignia.

---

Operational Order

Situation: Rainbow is placed to block a Federal advance by land along the riverine approaches. Burnside is approaching in the next few days, and we should have 1 day's notice of his approach.

Friendly: Additional to Rainbow, Branch's militia brigade is based in the immediate surrounds of New Bern (immediately off-map to the West). He will remain to defend the town against a direct attack from the river and will supply only limited support to Rainbow's defense.

Enemy: Burnside's Coastal Division is estimated to contain approximately 6-10 000 men in three brigades, with 3-6 gunboats operating in support. They have landed boat guns before, but are not expected to have any significant field artillery elements. They have no known cavalry elements.

Mission: Rainbow will receive, disorder and break the enemy E of New Bern.

Risks:
          Risk 1. The enemy may bypass our line by river and land in our rear.
          Resp 1. Branch's militia is covering this space with militia in prepared positions and heavy artillery. The enemy would land under fire, and be caught between Branch and Rainbow.

Risk 2. The enemy may drive a small force through the impassible swamp to our south in a bid to turn Rainbow's flank.
          Resp 2. A small flank guard should be maintained against this threat until the battle is decided.

Execution:
          Pruitt's Tarheels will immediately move out to find and shadow Burnside's advance. They should report on his condition and movements and avoid engagement until they return to Rainbow.

Dee's Hussars should perform recon on the swamp and its surrounds, speak to the locals and find out whether anyone knows a path through the swamp. If so, they should be invited back to Rainbow's deployment area to indicate where the path comes out. They will not be detained (although they are asked to keep this information to themselves), but Dee can then anchor his position around this outlet. Otherwise Dee should remain a mobile reserve and flank guard on our right until opportunities develop.

Sennef's Saddle Blazers to remain in reserve at our center until opportunities develop.

Gardner's Battery to Fort Thompson to interdict the river and the open ground to his E-SE. He will retain local command of the fort and the additional heavy artillery deployed to it.

Tremayne's Britannic Battery to operate in the center and rear of Rainbow; we will prepare fortified positions for him to share with riflemen but he retains tactical liberty unless otherwise ordered.

Bird and Holden will be deployed to the woodland N of the railway when the enemy approach to mount a defense and fall back to phase line blue when the enemy pressure requires.

Bates will deploy to the woodland S of the railway when the enemy approach to mount a defense and fall back to phase line blue when the enemy pressure requires. They should liaise with Dee vis the southern flank, and for local support if required.

Leroy will mount an initial defense north of the woods, backed by any militia Gen'l Sennef can scrounge from Branch. They are to fire one volley then fall back to Fort Thompson and fire pits in advance of this structure.

All other commands will operate on and behind the blue line.

All infantry and gun crews will assist in preparing fortifications, ably guided by Finch's command.

Logistics: PM

C&C: Runner (or rider).
          Last edited by Khryses; 25 Oct 17, 18:26.
          Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Note: And yes, of course we're going to use the bricks to help harden our positions.
            Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Concerning the railroad embankment, could there be a forward entrenchment south of the railroad facing east that lines up with the northern end of the blue trench? That way, if they somehow force us out of the woods its a shorter distance to some cover if they are in hot pursuit and our northern flank will be somewhat obstructed by railroad embankment.
              Attached Files
              The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

"Orderly! Please find the Officer of the Day and inform him we have orders to move out. We will take three days hardtack and at least one day's horse grain. If they have Beef Jerky, fine. Sergeants will make a check of every Trooper's canteens and saddle bags and make sure no alcohol gets taken with them. Make sure the men carry a double load of ammunition because we could be without re-supply until we get back. The Sergeants can overlook some coffee pots and coffee beans. I know I will carry some! There should be no horses with loose shoes, but run a check.

Report back to me when we are ready."

Comment

Having done a check of the horses and the men, the Legion Cavalry mounts and in a column of fours, moves out.

"Orderly, I want one platoon to ride one hundred yards in front. I want a four man patrol twenty yards away on each a flank. We will take a leisurely pace as we want to see them before they see us, if possible. When we find them, tell me, and I will bring up the Troop. We are going to find them and keep an eye on them. The Lt Colonel wants to know where they are so we will send back a patrol when we find them. There will be no fires after tonight. Lets go!"

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                    (...)
                    All other commands will operate on and behind the blue line.

All infantry and gun crews will assist in preparing fortifications, ably guided by Finch's command.
                    To this end my command will be divided by rank, 40 men each, equipped with shovels and axes.

9 of those teams will be available, to be distributed among those commanders that have entrenchments to build and put under their command for the duration.

The rest of my command will reconnoiter the blue line and stake out positions with good field of fire to be taken up there when the time comes.

"Ok lads, yesterday was all fun and games, the next two days we have work to do ..."

"Move out."

Finch himself will be mounted, with the most forward rank deployed in this manner and keep an eager eye out for anything that may announce the appearance of the enemy, so as to be able to gather his battalion quickly at the first sign of battle.
                    Last edited by Snowygerry; 26 Oct 17, 02:15.
                    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

200 militia AND the town's labourers for fortification

Brigadier CS listens to the Rainbow Brigade officers and sees his work cut out for him. Not tactically, that they seem to be doing fine but rather politically.
                      As he is becoming more of a political asset to Rainbow why not?

He mounts his white horse and caters off to where general Branch resides.
                      He has the definite idea that he holds the rank of brigadier-general just a bit longer than Branch does, but that is enough...

Getting off his white horse he saunters into Branch's HQ, chats somewhat with the staff officers there, hears important things, such as what Branch thinks of the enemies intention to land and about resources still available. All things he was just hoping for.

He then let himself be announced to general Branch who accepts him immediately. CS accepts the offered coffee and says:

"Branch, I realize that you gave my deputy Fawcett a choice between a big gun and 200 militia. He chose the gun. That to me means you still have the militia available somewhere. I would appreciate if you could release these 200 militia to Rainbow as well.
                      Thank you."

"Now I do not want to pull rank but like you I want to do my job as well as possible, so I would like to see what more additional detachments are still available.

From your staff I just learned that the town's laborers are available to work Rainbow's fortification works and that employing them will double the rate of fortification.

Again I do not want to use my rank in order to demand any privileges but these extra spades are really essential for the Southern war effort.
                      I have them?! Thanks Branch. I can assure you this will not go unnoticed."

CS rides back, glad with himself and thankful for the role he could play for Rainbow.
                      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

OOC:

1) There is now 1 militia company of 200 men available on day of battle.

2) Rainbow's fortification speed has doubled: 600m of trench/breastwork or 300m of strongpoint/fort wall.

3) March 9th is complete on the map (see link in Post 1). March 10 will happen as soon as K is ready to edit in the fortifications made that day. After March 10, there's an increasing chance every day that Burnside will be spotted by Pruitt's scouting expedition....due to his scouting expedition you will have 2 days warning of Burnside's arrival. Note: All units will be on field as of day of battle. Due to scouting, Pruitt's Tar Heels will have some fatigue to horse and man.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

And day of battle will be somewhere in between next Monday and Wednesday I hope ?

Just asking since I'll be gone from today, back on Monday, but then gone again for five days, for the holiday.

Obviously I can anticipate events in my orders, more so since I am in the backline - but some pre-organisation seems to be in order.

Tnx.

Comment

You should have warning of pending battle by then. K and I are pushing through the 'boring' part as fast as possible. Intention is to get to the battle pending date by Friday, then the normal orders cycle with first real battle orders due on Tuesday.

I could have constructed the defensive works on the map, but I opted to let you all do it. Historically there was a trenchline with a dogleg and Fort Thompson. I decided to let Rainbow devise its own scheme and only put the Historical Fort Thompson on the map.

Comment

That should work, as you notice above other players can just draw from my battalion as they see fit, in my absence.

Comment

Well....in the interest of not making your GM suicidal, other player-designee can just have your battalion occupy whatever position it needs to in your absence.....not split it up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Berlin.1945
                                  by casanova
                                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                  Yesterday, 23:41
                                • casanova
                                  AW 169M
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                  Yesterday, 23:26
                                • JBark
                                  What changed?
                                  by JBark
                                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                  Yesterday, 18:54
                                Working...
                                X