Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    I would note to the command that my battery is low on rounds and fuzes having been heavily engaged continuously throughout the action., but does have sufficient powder available, from a mix of the Columbiad and captured stores aboard the gunboat. The Blakely's in particular are low on rounds for action as they use uncommon ammunition. We really need to restore stocks before going into action again. I can make up the losses by keeping the surviving crew (should have been 17 men) on the Columbiad along with accepting a few volunteers to fill out any shortage.
    Those 10 casualties are in addition to the loss of the original crew for the Columbiad.....that embrasure took two direct hits during the engagement. Getting rounds for your field guns won't be a problem, at least enough for a short field engagement.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• I posted an order which hung up and did not make it in here. My short term plans are to send the wounded home to the Plantation/homes and recruit at least ten to fifteen men. People going home will leave their Pistols but can take their Enfields. We can alter captured Enfields for the Recruits. My hope is to start getting convalescents back as we move along.

My home is open to any of the other men from further afield that need to heal. We can go by train?

This leaves me with thirty mounts and 90 Pistols. Any wounded horses can be cared for locally. If it is alright I will call for replacements from home to bring a shotgun and a horse with them. Any chance of getting another troop of North Carolina Recruits to add into my men?

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Information

Just laying out some general information that you all would know:

Layout----

There are three major 'zones' within the North Carolina Coast.

The Northern part, which covers the Intracoastal (inland sound) waterway to Virginia and communications down to Beaufort and other ports. Roanoke Island is right in the middle and who controls Roanoke controls most of the Northern Outer Banks and movement in the sounds.

The Central Part, think New Bern and Morehead City/Beaufort. Port areas.

The Southern Part, Wilmington.

That lays out how important both Beaufort and Roanoke are to the war effort. It was something that wasn't even really thought about until the coast was lost to Burnside's Expedition.....it made the blockade a lot more effective with the loss of the best smuggling territory in the Confederacy.

Fort Macon-----

It was captured from the Federals without a shot early in the war. It's a masonry fort surrounded by low dunes. Current garrison size is a large battalion, or around 500 men, and it has a number of heavy guns. Also there's militia in the area around Beaufort that will probably help make a siege uncomfortable, especially without significant naval support.

Roanoke Island----

In February around 2500 poorly equipped troops were holding it. The whole Coast Division, 10,000 strong, dumped on them with the fleet assisting and captured it relatively quickly and handily. The island is 8 miles long and 2 miles wide, with small forts at either end. It's unknown how many troops Burnside has put guarding the island, or their quality.

Fort Macon Assault Plans-----

The letter doesn't outline siege lines or a plan, only the intention that once New Bern is complete to go to Fort Macon and capture it in the April Timeframe. The plans detail that Foster's 1st Brigade with supports, around 4000 men, was to undertake the operation.

Based on casualty figures, you suspect that the two Brigades you know about is around 4000 strong, and an additional 3000 or so are in Reno's 2nd Brigade which you don't know a location for.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          I posted an order which hung up and did not make it in here. My short term plans are to send the wounded home to the Plantation/homes and recruit at least ten to fifteen men. People going home will leave their Pistols but can take their Enfields. We can alter captured Enfields for the Recruits. My hope is to start getting convalescents back as we move along.

My home is open to any of the other men from further afield that need to heal. We can go by train?

This leaves me with thirty mounts and 90 Pistols. Any wounded horses can be cared for locally. If it is alright I will call for replacements from home to bring a shotgun and a horse with them. Any chance of getting another troop of North Carolina Recruits to add into my men?

Ummm......to everything in the first couple of paragraphs, that won't really apply, good flavor though. I'm not going to attempt to manage people going home and then returning, it's all abstracted.

To the last Paragraph, depending on what choice is made, you'll get some of those casualties returning to the ranks prior to the next battle. Those that don't return, you'll have their full kit available for new recruits.

As far as if new recruits will be available, that will depend on the decision made.....

Oh, and the last order I saw from you is to glean the battlefield and look for revolvers, spencers, and henrys. There are some of the former among the captured arms, but not many. There are no repeaters or breechloaders that weren't arms lost by your own casualties....you're fighting Federal Infantry in '62.....not cavalry in '64.
          Last edited by TacCovert4; 22 Jan 18, 20:32.

Comment

• We need to recruit replacements. While I prefer ten to fifteen good ones, I would accept another independent troop to add to the Legion. They are out there, we just have to pry them away from orderly duties. I would even take Mounted Infantry! Did we get any swords?

We should look at replacing some or those single shot pistols with revolvers.

I don't care so much where we go, but would point out that horses don't swim into a charge well!

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion

Comment

• On breechloaders and repeaters that use a cartridge: The CSA basically couldn't use these weapons beyond whatever ammunition was captured with them. There was no company in the South capable of reproducing the necessary brass (or other material) cartridges.

Comment

• No swords captured.

I'm presuming that your talk about replacements is talking about the decisions Rainbow has to make, well....Sennef has to make but Rainbow's involved in.

As to independent units, sorry, you won't get NPC-run independent units, and augments are a rare thing so don't expect them.

Comment

• Tac, General Burnside had a factory in Rhode Island making the Burnside Breechloading Carbine. If we would have found any we would have traded them for something we could use more easily.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    Tac, General Burnside had a factory in Rhode Island making the Burnside Breechloading Carbine. If we would have found any we would have traded them for something we could use more easily.

He had a contract with the United States War Department for equipping United States Cavalry.

I researched the units in his Coast Division, and they were all state regiments raised in New England and equipped with Enfields or Springfield pattern rifle-muskets.

There are no repeating or breechloading firearms on the Federal Side in this battle. US troops were much more uniformly equipped, and in 1862 there were very few foot regiments equipped with something besides muzzleloading rifle-muskets (or just plain muskets). Berdan's Sharpshooters being a major exception.

If you're sticking around long enough to make use of them, I'll notate a more detailed list of what firearms were captured. If you're heading out immediately, don't expect the State to keep all the things gleaned from the battlefield "In Storage" for you all, it'll be distributed to other regiments being raised.

Comment

• If our Troopers picked up at least 30 Enfield Rifled Muskets, we will keep them. We did find cheese and coffee in the haversacks, so we are good for now!

Comment

• NC Militia (Capt. Richter)(Exorcist)(Regular)
                        200 men (Homespuns)
                        115 Casualties
                        1842 Springfield Musket/Bayonet
                        Wow... that is just about the worst casualty rate of them all, isn't it?

So how does the salvage situation look for me? There must have been some good weaponry on this boat, considering how hard it was to take.

I don't know if I should just go ahead with disbanding the unit, or make this boat into a timber-clad transport with the 12-pound guns mounted on top.

Seems like this little unit has shot its bolt.

Comment

• I might suggest you convert the remnants to an artillery battery. If you mount those three 12 pdr on field carriages and maybe come up with a forth gun from somewhere you'd have a smoothbore 12 pdr battery. With a some replacements that know something about artillery to leaven the militia troops and conservative use, you could develop a useful new battery.

The brigade really needs a second smoothbore battery anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                            The brigade really needs a second smoothbore battery anyway.
                            Yup, already working on it.

I thought they were Griffin Guns, sure seemed like it.

Comment

• The Dahlgren boat howitzer on a field carriage. Even if the carriages are typical field ones, you end up with 3 12 pdr howitzers. While a bit short on range, they're definitely better than nothing. Get a fourth, and you're in business as a serious battery.

Comment

• I will make a note for everyone. Don't expect opportunities to refit your units to happen regularly. If a major fight kicks off you'll be force marching without a chance to.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X