No announcement yet.

Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing the 25 MA move, Maj Bird and his Green Jackets seize the moment.

"Well, not exactly as expected, but this should work," says Bird out loud to no one in particular.

In one rapid movement, the GJ jump out in front of their position, form up and wheel (swing) right - so fast and disciplined, it may not have made the British Guards' Sergeant-Major proud as a proper drill movement but still achieved the aim of catching 25 MA in the flank.

Looking behind, Bird hopes that Pruitt and Sennef horsemen sees his maneuver and move to the agreed positions. Most importantly, he hope the Britannic guns get ready to hit any Yankee movement from the East that may threaten him.

Having taken the time to write three copies of his intent on paper, he sends three runners - one to Pruitt, one to Bates and one to the expected position on the Saddle Blazzers. (See separate post below with my written intent.)

Bird looks behind again at the Britannic gun position, looking for any encouraging sign of movement that will show support in his direction.
    Last edited by Capt AFB; 11 Dec 17, 11:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post

General Sennef, coat covering his epaulettes, spies the fight at the southern strongpoint continuing to grow.....

Map
      General Sennef observes the developments south with keen interest. He realizes he has returned not a moment too late at the battlefield. Rainbow's defensive line is in danger of being rolled up from the south and only drastic action can save the day.
      His plan is to slam his Saddle Blazers into the left flank of the 99th.

While events are still unfolding he orders his trumpeteer to sound the 'forward' and in a trot he wheels his troopers around the left, over the RR embankment.
      Once his whole unit has crossed the RR he aligns them front east, draw sabers.
      Gorgeous sound! Then after a couple of seconds for drama he sounds the charge, slamming into the left flank of the 99th.
      BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
        Place holder

RL is going to keep me away for the next 36-48 hours

BTW, if the 25th MA moved, Bird would be expecting it and would maneuver accordingly...You don't move forward during 20 min without some noise and observed movement, and without Bates advising us...So my planned moved would have ambushed the 25th MA and the 99th NY would had problem deploying out of a swampy terrain, with tired troops with heavy soaked footwear...
        You'll have time to give your orders.

As to the BTW, I read your orders three times trying to divine your intentions and I couldn't come up with anything that I felt comfortable just having your men do with no specifics from you. I knew that you were intending something involving displacing and rolling up a flank, but I have no clue who's flank or how you were going to execute it from the orders given.
        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• While the Grenadiers are committed, Fawcett is distantly aware of the heating engagement at the other end of the field.

Not yet aware of the General's return, he sends his rider to direct the Saddleblazers up in support of the embattled Bates. Pruitt is instructed to screen Bird's position to the East and give him fighting room to take the 25th MA in the flank should the Major be ready to express sufficient aggression.
          Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            You'll have time to give your orders.

As to the BTW, I read your orders three times trying to divine your intentions and I couldn't come up with anything that I felt comfortable just having your men do with no specifics from you. I knew that you were intending something involving displacing and rolling up a flank, but I have no clue who's flank or how you were going to execute it from the orders given.
            Yah! My BTW did come a bit snippy didn't it. My apologies for that.

I guest I just got a bit frustrated that the action is coming in the same time as RL is calling me away. Taking a break at lunch time here to fill my place holder post.

Comment

• See my amended post #271

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                Yah! My BTW did come a bit snippy didn't it. My apologies for that.

I guest I just got a bit frustrated that the action is coming in the same time as RL is calling me away. Taking a break at lunch time here to fill my place holder post.
                No worries, sorry about it. You should be able to keep up though, I've got a trainee for the next couple of weeks, so I'm stuck with reams of paperwork related to him, and trying to get his stuff done. Which means that this game has to suffer.....Lady Tac would kill me with fire if I tried to take away from her time.

I'm still going for one update a week, as soon as I'm done with the extra work, I should be back onto the 2 a week schedule.

Comment

• As the GJ runners get to their destination, they hand over the written intent of Maj Bird to the filed commanders:

"My compliments Gentlemen,

I was pondering the enemy next move to our right and intend, with your cooperation, to hit them hard and shape the battle so that we are put in position to roll them from South to North.

With a bit of luck and speed, this may work. Otherwise staying in our defensive position against a superior number enemy and no infantry reserve is just waiting for defeat to come knock on our door. I prefer to maneuver against such enemy

Here is my intent:

Phase I

Bates holds his position.

Pruitt takes position in GJ former defensive line.

GJ hits the 25 MA on its flanks and throws them against the 99 NY. GJ keeps its formation as its advance and does not charge.

Once disorganized, Sennef cavalry and Bates troops hits them hard. The aim is to throw the panicked troops of 25 MA and 99 NY towards the swamp and finish them. If some panicked Yanks run back to their main line, much better yet, as panic tend to be contagious.

Phase II

Bates hold the trail entrance against any further Yanks unit that may be following the 99 NY through the swamp trail.

GJ swing back to face 24 MA...And darn hopes that the Britannic battery is in position to shoot into the enemy flank.

Pruitt cavalry rushes behind the GJ lines, across the railroad line and then East to hit the enemy in the rear.

Once reformed, the Saddle Blazzers uses the railroad track to provide some cover and its the 24 MA on its left flank.

Phase III

Hit on three sides (artillery, GJ, Saddle Blazzers), the 24 MA should fold and hopefully withdraws in not so good order.

GJ moves forward to roll up the enemy's flanks with the help of artillery and the Saddle Blazzers, and Pruitt causing pandemonium in their enemy's rear.

Gentlemen, I hope you can assist me in this plan and bring great honor to the Rainbow Brigade."

On his horseback, Bird knows that no plan will survive first contact with the enemy, but at least, with a common plan and intent, this action may develop into an advantageous opportunity to hurt the enemy very badly and secure their defensive position in New Bern for a while longer.

Comment

• General Sennef, cloack still covering his uniform, is enjoying his time immensely acting as a cavalry commander, away from the political battles he used to be fighting.
                    He considered informing Fawcett but that can happen later, it iwll only upset the good job he is doing.
                    The GJ runner finds him while his Sadlle Blazers are still crossing the RR line to the south, still well behind Bates line.
                    He reads the writtenintentt and grunts approvingly.

He turns to the runner and says:

"Compliments and Kindly report back to major Bird that I'm about to unleash my part of Phase I.
                    After that I'll continue with Phases II and III if the scenario unfolds as major Bird expects."
                    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• At the end of day, the only worry we need is whether we will run out of bullets and shells. Anything less a Yankee death is of no concern to me.
                      Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Finch orders his rear rank, the skirmishers, to form in loose line perpendicular to the right edge of our battalion line.

They are to support our southern flank with aimed fire, and prepare for a partial or full repositioning of the battalion facing the new threat should the order come.

Once again he'll notify the officers, at least one line company (roughly 140 men, in addition to the skirmishers) can be drawn from my battalion to be put to use elsewhere.

This would still leave roughly 280 in the breastworks in a double line.
                        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• "What do you mean by 'General Sennef'?"

Maj Bird takes a quick moment to glare with a surprise look at his out-of-breath runner who came back to acknowledge the receipt of Bird message to the Saddle Blazzers.

"I thought the old bastard was in Richmond playing politics and enjoying the dilatant and cocktail circuit," says Bird, immediately regretting the words coming out of his mouth that may be perceived as a sign of disrespect by the young trooper, rather than a light joke.

"No Sir. It was the General. He was wearing a civilian coat over his uniform. It was General Sennef, Sir" says the runner. The intelligence looking young man repeats what he just said a moment ago to his battalion commander "General Sennef sends his compliment. His cavalry will be doing Phase I. He will continue with Phase II and III, depending on what happens."

"OK, got it" says Bird. "Get yourself drink of water and go join your company. We are about to hammer the Yanks to pieces, and you surely do not want to miss that."

Overlooking his battalion on his horse, he leaves his unit maneuver against the flank of 25 MA. Company officers and NCOs keeping the troops in check from any desire to charge the enemy...The Green Jackets need to maintain its integrity as a formation to be able to continue with the other two phases of the plan.

"Well, the hard charging old guy is back with us." thinks Maj Bird, with a smile on his face. "The next hour should be interesting."

Looking behind him, Maj Bird looks again for any activity with the Britannic battery. He sees some movement with Finch. "Well, at least someone is getting ready to support us. Good."

Comment

• The Tigers are bored, ammo and bandages distributed, weapons cleaned, blades sharpened, fortifications repaired, canteens and stomachs filled, rations stockpiled, spare wood collected, stories keep telling, not much excitement except for the few incoming. My men want to start picking off men for sport, making bets but I contain them. Seems every man has collected a spare firearm of some sort. The distances are all ranged in, sights (if they have them zeroed in). All we need is targets to send to hell.
                            The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• With the sight of the gunboats fleeing, I turn my battery's guns on the Yankee troops facing the fort. "Shell those Yankee bas...ds!" The gunners start firing shell and case at the troops facing the fort.

I look at their lines several units deep and think I will be hard to miss them...

Comment

• Orders Deadline:

1500EST Friday

That way I have a decent shot at getting an update done Friday and getting us back on track for 2 per week updates.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X