Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOC:

How accurate is the field artillery? Can it hit a mile out accurately?

I'm wondering if it is possible to elevate the field artillery to fire a pinpoint strike at the mounted parties that's sighted behind the line?

If not, let me know.

Player's Orders:

The Badgers should continue picking apart the enemy officers as before. No new orders issued for now.

End Player's Orders

That might change if I can get artillery to be useful for something other than sitting tight doing nothing.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• A rifled artillery piece at a mile (~ 2000 yards) could hit something the size of a house about 1 in 4 times, maybe a 1 in 3 with a good crew. A smoothbore would be about a third to a quarter that accurate ( 1 in 10 to 1 in 20). A smoothbore howitzer would run around 1 in 15 to 1 in 30.

That's rough, but it gives some idea on accuracy.

The Whitworth rifle, arguably the most accurate gun of the civil war would hit a house at that range 3 out of 4 times with an average crew.

Comment

• Just to note my presence,

continue as previously ordered, at the first sign of renewed enemy activity opposite us, a call of the bugle will call the battalion back to its feet.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• @ Snowy

I don't think it'll be long now......

@ Cheetah

1500yds on the Brittanic Battery. Accuracy will vary, but those crews are relatively good.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Don't worry take your time, I think our OPFOR is reacting in fairly realistic fashion to obstructions we put before them, slow and deliberate

Not every hour of a battle produces hot fighting and massive casualties all along the line.
            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Seeing the New Yorkers suddenly arriving 100 yards away from them, Bates wasn't that surprised. He had a hunch that something could happen and now it happened.

He gave his men simple order. They are to volley fire the New Yorkers that arrived near them and they are going to do it now. A lot of New Yorkers are going to die soon.
              From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
              Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
              "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

• There was some commotion to the right, over the rails.

Almost naturally, from right to left, the Green Jackets stood to, readying for new action.

The right hand company commander, Cpt Frumm stood high on his horse looking on his right to try to find out what was going on.

Near the center of the GJ line, on their horses, Maj Bird and Cpt Walsh looked at each other with quizzical glances, wondering if the enemy was spotted near Bates position.

Comment

• The Tarheel Legion is ready to ride South to join the Defense!

"Have Pistols, Will Travel!"

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• My battery continues to engage the gunboat(s) that remain firing on the fort or appear to still be within range and in action.

Comment

• The Grenadier Guard are to continue to stay down and rest until I call on them, sneaking peeks to cue them when the enemy reaches 600 yards (our effective range).
                      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• I think every active player has posted, however Deadline Warning Friday at 1800hrs EST.

Comment

• Maj Bird looks around, with a straw man plan germinating in his mind.

"Pat" talking to his XO "I'm not sure what the Yanks are up to, and we may be stuck holding this line for a while...But if they make the mistake I think they will do, with a bit of parade ground discipline, a bit of speed and luck, we may be able to roll up their flank."

"Ride to Pruitt. My compliments to him and tell him to keep an eye on the Green Jackets line. If we move, we are going to need him to fill our position and possibly protect our flank."

"Then go to the Britannic battery. Remind them that they are a brigade asset and the right flank should expect some support from them, while Holden stalls the enemy in their immediate front for a bit...If not, they can expect a big gap in the Green Jacket lines in which the Yanks are going to pour in...So if I maneuver, I expect a few shots hitting the Yanks in front of us before they deal with the threat in front of them!"

As the XO trots North, Maj Bird looks to his right, thinking "Well, if the Yanks do what I think they will do, with a bit of artillery and the infamous Pruitt cavalry on my flank, we may have an enjoyable little fight!...If the Yanks blunder!..If!If!If!...Well, if not, my planning will be for naughts!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                            Maj Bird looks around, with a straw man plan germinating in his mind.

"Pat" talking to his XO "I'm not sure what the Yanks are up to, and we may be stuck holding this line for a while...But if they make the mistake I think they will do, with a bit of parade ground discipline, a bit of speed and luck, we may be able to roll up their flank."

"Ride to Pruitt. My compliments to him and tell him to keep an eye on the Green Jackets line. If we move, we are going to need him to fill our position and possibly protect our flank."

"Then go to the Britannic battery. Remind them that they are a brigade asset and the right flank should expect some support from them, while Holden stalls the enemy in their immediate front for a bit...If not, they can expect a big gap in the Green Jacket lines in which the Yanks are going to pour in...So if I maneuver, I expect a few shots hitting the Yanks in front of us before they deal with the threat in front of them!"

As the XO trots North, Maj Bird looks to his right, thinking "Well, if the Yanks do what I think they will do, with a bit of artillery and the infamous Pruitt cavalry on my flank, we may have an enjoyable little fight!...If the Yanks blunder!..If!If!If!...Well, if not, my planning will be for naughts!"
                            And before his XO trots away, Maj Bird adds ''Also, go find Sennef's cavalry, my compliments to their commander and ask if he can deploy, still mounted, behind Bates troops, when he see the Green Jackets maneuvering...Got it?'' ...''Now, go.''

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                              And before his XO trots away, Maj Bird adds ''Also, go find Sennef's cavalry, my compliments to their commander and ask if he can deploy, still mounted, behind Bates troops, when he see the Green Jackets maneuvering...Got it?'' ...''Now, go.''
                              Brigadier Sennef has returned to the fiel dof battle. In order not to upset the battle management he wears a non-descript cloak around his uniform making him anonymous for all but his own troopers.
                              He immediately sees the logic of Bird's plan and orders his Saddle Blazers accordingly.
                              BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• March 18th, 1100hrs

North to South:

Gardner's Battery continues to fire away in exchange with the Valley City, but as the beleagured gunboat slowly works its way downstream, it doesn't take any noticeable hits....and neither does the fort. With her departure, the US Navy appears to have retired from the field. And none too soon, as the damage to Fort Thompson's North Wall makes one wonder how much longer it could have held out if ships with 8 and 9 inch guns had kept pounding her.

Captain Richter helps his men fight with the gun and prepares to fire. Unfortunately, some ham-handed farmer managed to jack it up, and when the Captain pulls the lanyard the double-charged gun goes off with a roar. Further inspection shows that there is distinct damage to the gun carriage, and further attempts at firing the piece appear to be hazardous.

Around the fort, the Grenadiers, Tigers, and Militia hold their positions, watching the Federals far to their front....an ominous wave of regiments. Artillery fires behind their line, hitting the fortifications and keeping the men down against their earthen walls, for the moment not causing casualties.

--------------

Major Holden spends some time inquring about the Howitzers used by the Brittanic Battery, a Lieutenant commanding one of the guns telling him that he "Could certainly begin swatting those irritable Yankees to the front with shell" but for the moment they maintain their vigil loaded with canister for dealing with close assaults if they ever come.

The Badgers are not so calmly standing about however, and continue taking potshots at officers, primarily concentrating on the mounted officer party to their front. Their fire does not seem to be particularly effective, and some of the men start cleaning their rifles to remove fouling and hopefully restore their precision at longer ranges.

Major Finch continues to hold the line, only becoming slightly concerned as the fire of the big guns starts to give way to silence, and the Yankee infantry continues to not advance.

Major Pruitt receives word from Major Bird about possibly moving to cover the much longer and lower trenchline if the Green Jackets displace, though there's not much explanation as to when or why. Dee also hears the word, and all men have their weapons loaded and at the ready, with their horses nearby in the lee of the strongpoint.

--------------

At Bates command, the Irregulars open fire by volleys from their strongpoint into the 99th advancing out of the swamp. Advancing a company wide and starting to stretch out as they reach more solid ground, the Federals march into the storm of lead and hammer out fire at will as they reach two companies and then three wide. Men fall on both sides as Bates troops match the fire rate of three companies using their handy carbines.

Only a few minutes into their exchange, the First Sergeant shouts out Yankees to the Front, and Bates looks to see the 25th Massachusetts advancing towards him, using the railroad embankment to hide from Bird's men on the other side. Concentrating their fire on the men immediately near them, another volley staggers a number of the New Yorkers, and their return fire is mercifully ineffective.

As the 25th nears 250 yards from the trenches, the 99th lets out a shout and companies pour out of their center, picking up speed as they reach solid ground, the men advancing with fixed bayonets towards the strongpoint from the flank. The 25th also picks up its pace, the front company's bayonets lowered as they also advance. The men continue to fire into the 99th, reaping more casualties, but not enough to stop the Yankees from closing, 50yds, 25yds, then at a mere 10yds from the strongpoint the order is shouted "Pistoles" and over a hundred pistols fire to compliment the volley of carbines.

The Yankees are hurt but not stopped, and the first company starts stomping over the abatis and working their way up to the top even as other men start trying to filter around the rear of the earthwork. The 25th Massachusetts continues to draw nearer to the strongpoint as well.....and the 24th has started moving forward at the sound of the trumpet.....

General Sennef, coat covering his epaulettes, spies the fight at the southern strongpoint continuing to grow.....

Map

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X