Rainbow Brigade Ep. 2, March 1862

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    This update they'll just stay in place. For the remainder of the battle they will fall under the immediately adjacent major Holden. After the battle, they will disappear, being called away to other fronts.
    You are not helping me trying to keep the illustrious POS in the game with your solution...Let him feel guilty about thinking of leaving his battery and his brigade in the middle of a battle...Maybe it will change his mind...Besides, where else will he find an opportunity of teaming up with such enterprising band of brothers to fight those darn Yankee invaders with?

Comment

• Originally posted by Poor Old Spike View Post
      It's just that if I'm going to get banned (the clock is ticking down) you guys will be looking around wondering "Why has he stopped posting, has he deserted us or what?", and there'd be no way for me to contact you, so I thought a nice clean break now would be best, jumping before I'm pushed..
      Maj Tremayne, you have have already - unknowingly - served your time in another dimension. So start focusing on getting a brew going, so that Maj Bird and you can have a cup of tea and discuss how you can best help half the brigade (Bird, Dee, Pruitt, Bates) occupying a defensive line South of your position, without compromising your own defense against the advancing Yanks.

As artillery, particularly British-trained artillery brings dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl in a battle, I would expect a fresh cup of tea will provide us a better perspective for the next round of fighting.

Not having Maj Tremayne around would not bring the same dignity to the battle...Well, Gardner is good, but is character is not British!

Comment

• Bates leaned on the fortifications as he observed the Yankee regiments on the field. He knew that they would try something soon.

"Lieutenant, get the men to rest and check their carbines and other gear. Get the wounded carried away and distribute their ammunition to the men."

Finally having time to reload his revolver, Bates and his Irregulars were ready to take the assaulting Yankees if needed.
        From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
        Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
        "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
          Not having Maj Tremayne around would not bring the same dignity to the battle...Well, Gardner is good, but is character is not British!
          Thankfully! Damn Pommes...

Comment

• Originally posted by Khryses View Post
            We trust Captain Exo will have a somewhat more impressive showing.
            Thanks, and the chance to re-load a revolver that can fire ten times takes time, so the breather is appreciated.

The idea about having only 1/3rd of the men visible is a ruse, or an attempt at one. These damned buck & ball smoothbores are at their best at about 30-60 yards, so a unit armed exclusively with them are nothing but short-range butchers... and green Militia ain't so good at that.

A look at the map shows that my position would be the stupidest place for the Yankees to mount a concentrated attack. They are masked by the fort, so no supporting fire from the Gunboats for them, and they are also vulnerable to flanking fire from the BB area.

I'll have the few men up pop off a couple of rounds now & then, to give a false impression of weakness, and have the rest of the men get up and give any attackers a volley at 50 yards. We should have time to reload and fix bayonets before they are on top of us.

Meanwhile, have the muskets of the fallen re-loaded and bayonets fixed to them, so that the men have spares at hand.

From the look of things, the next move seems to be up to 'those people'.

Comment

• Major Pruitt orders his men to reload their pistols as the Yankees pull back a little. They have one pistol loaded and two empty. The Two Band Enfields are loaded and at hand.

Major Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Finch will continue under current orders - he makes an inspection of the line, making sure to dim the premature enthusiasm seeing another advance by the enemy turned might provoke in his men.

He adjusts positions here and there, to make the best use of the cover the breastwork affords while the enemy keeps his distance for a moment, and continues to oversee fire discipline is kept.
                Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• With Major Leroy taking a bayonet through his thigh and a cut on his arm, his Tiger's take their wounded commander back to the medic, who patches him up and sends him to the nearest doc who can stitch him up. He leaves his trusted second hand man Captain Mouton in charge. The Tiger's lick their wounds and shuffle men around where they're most needed. Any weapons left from fallen on our side are collected, reloaded and laid next to the best shooters. Where blades have fallen, they too are collected, cleaned and added to their cutlery. It's fitting that some men can now wield two blades and are just as proficient in their non-dominant hand. The Tiger's saw the Major Leroy charge the Yanks and get wounded in the fighting and are now both inspired and bat crazy mad looking for revenge. That he got wounded had no effect on the Tigers, it only strengthened their resolve after seeing their commander make a stand and show them how professional soldiers choose their destiny. Maj. Leroy has seen his share of battles and getting long in the tooth, but damned if he dies of old age. No, career soldiers choose their fate and what no better place than to do it than right here to freely give to defend American soil. As he's carried back, Maj Leroy says, "Keep fighting until you can fight no more as I will be back, don't let me down!" The Tiger's let out wild roars!
                  The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• The Green Jackets are going through their post-battle drill, as they have trained for.

As on cue, the Battalion Quartermasters brings his wagon to the three companies to replenish them in ammo and water.

The Battalion Sergeant-Major is dealing with the casualties, which are moved to the rear. The non-ambulant ones will hitch a ride on the QM wagon, as it moves back to the rear.

The 2Lt of each three companies, with the civilian cooks are doing their best to prepare the building behind the Green Jacket position, as an alternate defensive position. They will be soon joined by the wounded Green Jackets that cannot hold the front line but can contribute to the building up efforts of this rear position.

Cpt Pat Walsh, Battalion XO, is still away looking for help from Gen Branch. Maj Bird hoping that he will soon return with good news.

Cpt Frumm, the most senior of the three company commanders, takes provisional control of the Battalion, as Maj Bird travels North along the Rainbow line at a trot.

Maj Bird stops a few moments to shake the hand of Maj Pruiitt to thank him for his just-in-time intervention against the enemy and protecting the Green Jackets left flank.

He then passes the next line of defense and tips his hat to Finch, before arriving at Maj Tremayne's artillery position, who invites him for tea.

Seeing Holden not too far, he waves a "hello!" before turning back to Tremayne.

Bird asks " Next time the Yanks come looking for trouble with Rainbow, would your superb British-trained gunners be able to fire a few shots Southward before turning the gun to the enemy at your front. That would certainly break the enemy's momentum of hitting our lines simultaneously, and have the enemy at my front think twice about the artillery threat facing him. He already knows that you were not shooting at my end during the last assault, so your action in his next assault would surprise him and may help cause him to break early."

Bird takes a sip of his tea, looking at Tremayne who is obviously evaluating the request in his head.

As he waits for Tremayne's response, looking South, Bird can see Dee's cavalry joining up with Pruitt.
                    Last edited by Capt AFB; 22 Nov 17, 00:11.

Comment

• OOC: Well, it seems that POS let loose a salvo of his thinking at the ACG mods again...And is banned again!

Wait...Last update...His banning was lifted...Question is, will POS fire another salvo at the mods? Or will he save his energy to direct his battery against the Yanks?
                      Last edited by Capt AFB; 22 Nov 17, 00:13.

Comment

• Things will move on, I suppose, as they always do. If POS can do what most of us do and avoid sections that set us off, great. If he chooses to depart, then the Brittanic Battery is already planned for moving forward (and I guess things after this battle will fall on Major Holden to provide a LOT of supporting fires).

Anywho, update for everyone:

I'll be heading out of state on a whirlwind tomorrow (I'm working all night, Lady Tac is driving out of state, I'm driving back home tomorrow night) for Thanksgiving. Got to love cop and dispatcher working opposite shifts when it comes to being able to quickly handle a 6 hour each way drive.....

Once I get back Thursday night I'll be doing the update. I think I have everyone's orders in place.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                          Things will move on, I suppose, as they always do. If POS can do what most of us do and avoid sections that set us off, great. If he chooses to depart, then the Brittanic Battery is already planned for moving forward (and I guess things after this battle will fall on Major Holden to provide a LOT of supporting fires).

Anywho, update for everyone:

I'll be heading out of state on a whirlwind tomorrow (I'm working all night, Lady Tac is driving out of state, I'm driving back home tomorrow night) for Thanksgiving. Got to love cop and dispatcher working opposite shifts when it comes to being able to quickly handle a 6 hour each way drive.....

Once I get back Thursday night I'll be doing the update. I think I have everyone's orders in place.
                          Sure, for this battle anyway.

But for next battle episodes, as a sharpshooter unit, I'd be in different places than where artillery would typically be. I'd appreciate it if a replacement can be found for the artillery unit.
                          Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• Originally posted by Capt AFB View Post
                            OOC: Well, it seems that POS let loose a salvo of his thinking at the ACG mods again...And is banned again!

Wait...Last update...His banning was lifted...Question is, will POS fire another salvo at the mods? Or will he save his energy to direct his battery against the Yanks?
                            24 Nov: Oh, well!! POS got banned again! Playing stupid with the mods doesn t get you anywhere!

Comment

• Yep. Update in progress......

Comment

• March 18th, 0920hrs

With the Union Infantry standing off, The Grenadier Guards advance into the trenches, along with the Tiger Rifles who refuse to leave and the NC Militia who also refuse to fall back to the Fort. They might have something there, as Fort Thompson is the center of a storm of shot and shell after all.

With the whole fort to himself, Gardner is busy supervising the remanning of the Columbiad's embrasure and bringing up fresh powder and shells. The rifles, even with some gunners pulled away to man the big cannon, manage to put more shot and shell into the Philadelphia, though nothing critical yet. Running the big gun personally, Gardner fires a shell at Hetzel, and is finally rewarded with a deafening blast as the 68lb shell must have detonated inside Hetzel's boiler spaces or magazine. The beleagured gunship immediately begins going down by the stern.

With the explosion, the gunboats farther downstream don't even fire, either unable to see the fort or shocked by the damage delivered so quickly by a gun that was supposed to be down. Philadelphia fires with her two twelve pounders though, and does so ineffectively except to continue to damage the North Wall of the fort. There is a land battery now, however, and they fire on the trenches, shells exploding against the breastworks and serving only to remind the Guards and Tigers to stay down.

Further South, Lord Tremayne has had a sudden attack of nausea from a bad biscuit, but his gunners still do good work, their howitzers working on the 5th Rhode Island. Major Holden, now thrust into commanding the battery as well as his men, directs his men to target a possible brigade headquarters with all of their rifles. The results are only mildly disappointing, but they keep working at it since none of the Union Regiments are making a move forward yet.

In the South, Bates takes his place on the works fully as Dee displaces to join Pruitt in the center strongpoint. Bird and Finch continue to stand by, and Bird awaits word from General Branch.....which he receives, that the General is forming a fall back position and won't be committing any more of his troops to Rainbows' lines.

The artillery duel between the fort and the gunboats continues, with Gardner's battery first striking, and then positively pummeling Philadelphia, putting multiple holes into her and sending her careening towards the shore. Return fire from Underwriter and the Valley City continue to tear earth from the embankments though, and the Fort is looking decidedly weak on that North Wall. Gunners are starting to get concerned about their position moving forward.

The Brittanics shellfire must have broken something loose as they manage to send the Rhode Islanders marching further back. Fire from the Federal Battery does little to the trenchworks. Holden's men continue to fire at the now concentrated command units, with little noticeable effect.

As the hour draws to a close, it looks like General Burnside is not planning to continue his initial push all across the line....but where will the stroke fall, that is the question in everyone's mind. The ships off Fort Thompson are very much worse for wear, but so is the Fort.....

Map

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                  Berlin.1945
                                  by casanova
                                  The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                  Yesterday, 23:41
                                • casanova
                                  AW 169M
                                  by casanova
                                  The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                  Yesterday, 23:26
                                • JBark
                                  What changed?
                                  by JBark
                                  There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                  Yesterday, 18:54
                                Working...
                                X