Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Yes it can major garner. So do that?
    It was in my original orders. "Double grape" if the Columbiad can bear on the Union infantry... Oh, after a double, single grape is to be fired. Can't run short on rounds...

I ordered canister for the field guns on the Union troops since they're within 300 yards. That's 27 iron balls weighing about 1/2 of a pound each and about 1 1/4" in diameter.

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      It was in my original orders. "Double grape" if the Columbiad can bear on the Union infantry... Oh, after a double, single grape is to be fired. Can't run short on rounds...

I ordered canister for the field guns on the Union troops since they're within 300 yards. That's 27 iron balls weighing about 1/2 of a pound each and about 1 1/4" in diameter.
      That is going to hurt...Hopefully much less Nutmeggers to deal with after the shots!

Comment

• The cannons in the line and those in the fort combine with the rattle of musketry to bark out a guttural symphony of brazen defiance..

(Thanks to the 'Empire:Total War' game editor plus the Civil War Mod and a touch of photoshopping)

Comment

• Great stuff Spike!

The rumble of guns on the horizon suggest we may see an update this day...
          Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Should be working on the update tonight. I'm 4 pages into a 5 page research paper, so after that, plus formatting the works cited page and so forth, and I'll have it hammered out.

I'm anticipating a Thursday deadline after this update, which should hopefully have us back on track.
            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Should be working on the update tonight. I'm 4 pages into a 5 page research paper, so after that, plus formatting the works cited page and so forth, and I'll have it hammered out.

I'm anticipating a Thursday deadline after this update, which should hopefully have us back on track.
              Researching on your newfound powers as Jutes faction? Would not surprise me if you handed K five pages of with extremely detailed actions you want to perform on the first turn.
              Major James Holden, Georgia Badgers Militia of Rainbow Regiment, American Civil War

"Aim small, miss small."

Comment

• March 18th, 0800hrs

South to North

New Bern Map

Bates and his men unload one last volley of fire as quickly as they can come to bear on the parapet, before withdrawing hastily towards the better defensive positions to the West. Dee's Hussars start firing as soon as Bates leaves, attempting to maintain the illusion that the works are fully manned until Dee sees Bates clear 200 yards. Then his men unload one last volley of their Kammerlader, and swing into the saddle, spurring their horses away. The 25th Massachusetts does not seem interested in charging behind them, but a volley fired from the top of the wall fells exactly one rider as they get clear. The Yankees now occupy the trenches, and neither Dee nor Bates can see what if anything is moving behind their old earthwork, both just happy to be in positions with a bit of overhead cover.

In their trenches, Bird's green jackets are having a fight of it, as the 24th MA march out of the trees and make their way across the open ground. At 300 and 200yds they get a volley into them before the Yankees stop around 150yds and give them their own volley, mostly ineffective, but still some green jackets sink to the earth. Loading and firing at will, the green jackets fire continues to have effect but notably less as the much larger Yankee regiment whips lead across the lip of the breastworks, threatening any man who dares. Of course, their preoccupation with Bird means that Finch is wholly unsuppressed, and his men are able to enfilade the 24th Massachusetts with fire. While the Yankees are still standing there, they seem to have lost the stomach for the advance for now......but the 27th MA is marching up behind the 24th, and they're as yet unscathed.

The Brittanic Battery fires on the 23rd MA to its direct front, but the first shells plow into the earth before detonating and do no discernible damage. Major Holden's men fire on the advancing 10th CT, while the Major himself and a number of select marksmen try to hit the mounted party of officers hundreds of yards to the rear, succeeding only in making a couple of them visibly duck. In the misting rain the other whitworth shots aren't noticeably effective either, though some men are seen to fall. the 23rd MA continues to advance on Tremayne and Holden's joint position, and also on Finch's men already just becoming engaged to their South with the 24th in support of Bird. Continued fire from the Battery rips holes in the ranks as case detonates at nearly minimum range, not stopping them but making the Yankees take a moment to reorganize. The Badgers next attempt at Conneticut is far more effective, and the color party and a number of men go down, combining with additional other fires. Holden's handpicked men cause no small measure of consternation as they unhorse a few men in the mounted party, though what effect isn't seen yet. As the 23rd continues to close on the position with just the Battery checking it, Finch's attention is attracted away from his enfilading of the 24th, and he gives them a volley, but it doesn't stop them.

The 23rd MA begins the triple cheer as they start their charge to swarm the works and expel the defenders. At a mere 50 yards from Tremayne's position, his veteran gunners cooly service their pieces and dump 48 pounds of canister into the charge, evaporating the rightmost company of the 23rd, Tremayne shouting for his men to hurry and load canister again. Finch's men fire a ragged volley at 50 yards as well, and the 23rd breaks and runs for the rear. Even as they run for the trees, Tremayne and Finch can see glimpses of two more regiments moving up in the smoke, advancing with fixed bayonets.

Gardner's Battery keeps firing on the Philidelphia, their engagement almost even to one degree or the other with all 12lb guns in play. One good shell hit appears to have damaged Philly by her forward gun, possibly dismounting it as it does not fire. The big Columbiad has a different target, and the Tigers all duck when she unloads double grape towards the 10th CT. The shot is high, and most of it lands between the 10th and the follow on units, currently unrecognized. Return fire from Hetzel and Valley City continues to damage the fort wall....the wall by the Columbiad's corner is indeed looking more and more fragile.

Closing on the trenches before the fort wall, the 10th CT comes under fire from the Tiger Rifles in addition to the Badgers continued fire on them. Leroy's men do solid work at 200yds, and let the New Englanders know that they won't be getting to the fort wall unscathed. After being shot at by the Columbiad, the 10th is in no small rush to close with the Confederates, and they quickly close the distance, 150, 100yds, and the Militia fire their own volley from the trenches while Leroy's men keep up a constant stream of lead from their own more disciplined riflemen. It's still not enough, as the Connecticut troops don't stop to fire and indeed keep pushing to get into those trenches before they're hit again.

Gardner's Battery does little more than whiff by Hetzel, who with her bigger guns is the major threat to the Fort at the moment. However, Major Gardner himself adjusts the 68lb gun and manages to punch the second shot of double grape within a few yards of Leroy's Tigers, scaring no small number of them, and actually hitting the Yankees as they move to get in close. The return fire from the ships does the unthinkable though, and Gardner has just left the Columbiad's embrasure when a 9in shell strikes, killing the gun crew and setting off a couple of bags of powder brought up for the next shot, starting a fire in what wood there is to the gun position.

The Militia and Leroy keep firing into the 10th CT, but still they come, running up the breastwork and through the abatis before firing and taking their foes on in hand to hand combat. The militia with their smoothbores find themselves not at a horrid disadvantage in this type of combat and manage to hold on for now. Major Leroy and his men, however, set into the Yankees with a shout, firing rifles before more than half the men drop them to draw pistol and cutlass, wading into the fight with relish.

Just getting into position in the fort, Colonel Fawcett has a perfect view of the melee happening directly to the front of his Grenadier Guards. Ammunition expended, the Yankees and Confederates go at with with bayonet, clubbed rifle, clubbed pistol, and cutlass. By sheer weight of numbers the Connecticut men maintain a position on the breastworks, the militia and Tigers holding their own for now, but casualties are beginning to mount on both sides.........
                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Finch's men fire a ragged volley at 50 yards as well, and the 23rd breaks and runs for the rear. Even as they run for the trees, Tremayne and Finch can see glimpses of two more regiments moving up in the smoke, advancing with fixed bayonets.
                  Finch will make an inspection of his line to assess the readiness of his men and to see if relief or support is in order, he'll point out the fresh advancing regiments to those captains who might not have noticed them.

Men can move up from the rear ranks to fill gaps in the first ranks.

He repeats the order to have one rank loaded and ready at all times, to repel an attempted bayonet charge with a point blank volley.
                  Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Seeing the 10th CT close steadily despite the unrelenting fire his Tiger's are pouring, Maj Leroy knows they will be upon us soon and he's confident his men can hold their own in hand to hand. This is the crucial moment and they need to make sure the 10th don't get past us, the situation isn't dire yet but we need to keep an exit. His lieutenants won't call their men off until he tells them to and if he falls, they know what to do. He shuffles men in the line to get them where they're needed, taking care to make sure they don't come around us. If they come around our left we can hold a bit but if around our right the Tiger's will have to consider withdrawing. For now though, we will chop these SOB's limbs, open up their guts and unload lead point blank into every Yank that dares come over our trench.

With a crazed glare he shouts off to his men, "These damn Yanks don't know who they're messin' with today. Let them come as they wish, we'll make sure they meet their maker as they seem so eager to do so. Grant them their wish, let them taste their blood and make them suffer and beg for mercy for trying to mess with the Tigers! Sink cutlass into neck and bayonets into belly and shriek like a madman while doing it! Tigers aren't afraid, with tooth and nail we won't let them have this dirt now, so show them why not!", as Maj Leroy yells wildly drawing his pistol and his sword and shoots a Yank dead coming over and swings his heavy blade through bone and sinew. His men reply and the blood flows. Make it or not, today we will earn our name. The militiamen see this and are encouraged as well, with new energy the keep taking good shots and fight back Yanks as they come over the threshold. Major Leroy laughs as do his men beside him.
                    The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• "Jeffrey, back to the Saddleblazers", Fawcett waves his mounted junior Lieutenant back. "Tell the Captain to lead his men down the riverbank north of the Fort, blow past the right flanks of the Federals and strike them in the rear. Then go down to the ammunition wagons, and lead four of them up into the Fort through the West gate."

Looking over the parapet, he observes the embattled Tigers and turns back to his brave men. "Grenadiers! The tyrannous foe is at our gates, trying to seize New Bern and take all that we hold dear. They may have us outnumbered, but we overmatch them ten to one in courage! Rise up sons of North Carolina and show them what real men can do! Forward, Guardsmen!"

Leading his men onto the battlements, Fawcett directs his men into rapid successive volleys of plunging fire into the ranks of the Connecticut, keeping clear of the men embattled with Leroy's men. At their fully trained rate of fire the Grenadiers can fire one aimed volley every five seconds and they would have every opportunity to prove what they could do.

If the Tigers fall back the Grenadiers will scratch their back with a volley of grenades.

If the enemy secures and then goes to ground in the Confederate trenches, the Guard will lob a volley of grenades down into the position from above.

There would be a good killing this day.
                      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Tremayne addresses his men-
                        "Jolly good show chaps, we gave their front rank a damn good thrashing but there are more of the blighters following on behind and there's no guarantee we'll be able to hold them too.
                        So my orders are to entertain them with canister, but if it fails to deter them and they continue advancing, we shall speedily limber and withdraw to the west and set up our guns there at longish range"
                        Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 14 Nov 17, 09:55.

Comment

Then his men unload one last volley of their Kammerlader, and swing into the saddle, spurring their horses away. The 25th Massachusetts does not seem interested in charging behind them, but a volley fired from the top of the wall fells exactly one rider as they get clear.
                          "Johann! Neiiiinnnnnn!" Dee shouts, watching the fair-haired beauty from Dortmund fall in terrible grace. Well, okay, he was actually a slightly stubby, dark haired miner with a broken nose, but Dee couldn't help but express a little poetic license, considering the context.

Orders:
                          1) Get men organized again behind cover after the retreat, forming up and making sure the unit is coherent again.
                          2) Once organized, the men will man the barricades again, using their rifles to their best effect (enfilade fire on the two regiments just north seems the most pressing situation).

Comment

• Maj Bird leaves his company commanders direct their command's volley fire against the enemy.

Capt Walsh, his XO, reports that the buildings behind are being prepared as a final defensive position, but the whole battalion will not fully fit in the four buildings...And then he keeps quiet, as it dawns on him that if ordered to the buildings, it may be because there will not be much left of the battalion anyways...

Maj Bird looks at him. "My main concern right now is that the fortification to our left, between Finch and us is not manned, and it won't take much time for the Yanks to figure that out....And when they do, our whole line will collapse from the left...We may be going to find refuge in the buildings faster then I expected."

In the background, Maj Bird hears the Britannic pounders firing...But they are busy with the enemy in front of them. He has a faint hope that if pressure in front of Tremayne and Holden somewhat diminishes that the gunners will take the opportunity to hit the enemy in front of his position with enfilade fire.

In his mind, he is formulating another contingency plan for his Green Jackets.

"Pat. Get back on your horse and go tell Pruitt, Dee and Bates on our right flank that if the Yanks overwhelm my left flank I will be forced to retire and set my new defensive line between the two building behind us. They are more than invited to join my force and occupy the buildings to protect my flanks.

"Then, go present my compliments to General Branch, which standard I think I saw far to our West, and tell him that if his troops have nothing to do, they are more than welcome to come to the right flank and join in anytime."

Capt Walsh looks at him quizzically. The Battalion Commander adds "Col Fawcett is busy with his grenadiers at the fort...There is no one around to go to with request for help. So it is all on us, that means you, to get Branch and his troops to come this way. I trust that you can convince him...I do not care if you need to flatter his ego to make him think that he is the next Napoleon, but Rainbow is going to hurt pretty badly, if he does not show up. I have every confidence in you that you can convince him. Now go."

As Capt Walsh leaves towards Dee, Pruitt and Bates, Maj Bird mounts his own horse for a better view looking up and down his line and keeping a close eye to his left flank...A few choice words comes to his mind, when looking at his left. A few pieces of heavy lead fly by him...Strays or aimed, it does not matter, he must keep mounted to see how his Green Jackets are fairing against the Yanks...
                            Last edited by Capt AFB; 14 Nov 17, 15:43.

Comment

• "Move North men, follow me!" Bates took his winded men and made them to follow him and form between Pruitts and Birds men.

He realized that he could pour fire directly to the flank of 24th Massachusetts with their carbines. These volleys should be enough to devastate the regiment.

Bates sees Capt Walsh riding towards him and after quick discussion, mentions that Major Bird could move his battalion little bit north to take 24th directly and guard their left flank better.
                              From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
                              Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
                              "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

• Major Pruitt gets a message that a hole has opened in the line up North. "Orderly, tell the men we have a mission, they need to mount up!

'Men, we have to go plug a hole in our line. We will ride as close as we can, dismount and fill the line. We will save our pistol rounds for when they get within spitting distance! You all should have your pickets so tie your horse up behind the line and get to the Front. Sharpshooters, target the officers, NCO's and Flag parties. Let us be thankful for we re about to receive! Now move out!"

Major Pruitt
                                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X