Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
    OOC:

As a relatively new player, I have to ask this question, with the battle already decided in our favor decisively, does this mean the scenario is now over? Moving on to Episode 2?
    That of course is entirely up to the GM, who currently is enjoying a couple of days foo with Lady Tac.
    But it does look like the highwater mark is passed
    BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• Pleased with himself and his men, Dee issues a quick series of orders - already calculating the financial costs of the battle for friend and enemy alike. He idly wonders if he should invest in a funeral business on his next trip home.

The orders for the Hussars are simple: a detachment of five men (good, wiry fellows) are to ride North as scouts in a loose detachment but not engage. The rest of the men remain where they are (though they graciously shift a little to avoid blocking the ford and creating a jam) while dealing with the wounded, tending to the horses, refilling canteens, and enjoying a smoke.

Besides the scouts, he has five men take position on guard as pickets, just in case.

Comment

• stream of consciousness

CS, a gentleman planter not a professional soldier, feels tired, elated, shocked and proud. His first battle and the men who trusted him with command had behaved magnificently!

He feels dazed, knows he should do things such as send a report to the higher deck, but his deputy seems to have done that already.
        He also should send out scouts to the enemy and strenghten Rainbow's own position at the ford as the battle may not be over yet and the enemy may be back. Luckily the captains seems to do so by themsleves or did he order this? Should he now promote deserving officers ? But all behaved well today...

What to do with the prisoners, will division collect them? Should he let the enemy colonel whom he cpatured singlehandedly keep his sword on his word of honour?
        Should he write to all the widows? No,the captains can do that. Still so many Saddle Blazers today lost lifes today too. And then the wounded, what about the wounded?
        And still his troopers look at him with proud eyes...veterans, crack troops now who have seen the elephant and still cheer him!

Being the man he is, CS tours his sub-units on horseback, praising the men, speaking encouraging words were needed, shaking hands, settling small issues.
        Maybe because death is everywhere around him, CS feels so alive...
        BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• OOC: Good question.

When I asked the GM (before he went offline for the mid-week) he said it wouldn’t be ending immediately. That doesn’t necessarily mean we have another brigade coming down to see us, but we should probably stay ready in case the Federals decide to try us again.
          Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• OOC... Just a note: 12 pdr mountain howitzers are towed by a single horse without limber normally. The gun packs on three horses and usually three more carry two ammo chests each to go with it.

A 12 pdr or 10 pound Parrott requires 6 horses for the limber and gun for towing and the caisson requires 4 or 6.

The best bet is for the men to prolong the guns to a safe position and do the same with the limbers if they're still there.

A team of horses is required to pull the gun and limber.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheetah772 View Post
              As a relatively new player, I have to ask this question, with the battle already decided in our favor decisively, does this mean the scenario is now over?
              Could be old chap, looks like the bluebellies have thrown in the towel..

Henry- "Tom, there's something I just got to get off my chest"
              Tom- "What's that?
              Henry- "Yesterday, when things started getting hot... I was mighty scared"
              Tom- "We all was"
              Henry- "Yeah. But I lit out"
              Tom- "You mean you ran away, Henry?"
              Henry- "There, now, I told you all there is"
              Tom- "I'm glad you did, because it makes me feel a sight better. I skedaddled myself yesterday, when about half the other fellas did."

Comment

• Order Deadline: Friday 2pm (EST)

Attention to orders, Rainbow.

Our traveling GM asked me to flag that heís going to update this on Friday afternoon after he returns home.

Please ensure that any and all orders you havenít already submitted are in by 2pm Friday, US East coast time.

Orders that come in after he starts his update will not be included (it takes a couple of hours from start to finish, and a change in order scope can mean reworking much or all of the sequence).

Comment

• What sort of turn time are we expecting ? Do we give orders for the next hour ? The next day ?
                  Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• I’d say the next hour should be fine.

Comment

• In that case it's mainly "Continue under current orders."

Some more men can be dedicated to moving the wounded, the second rank restores the trench or expands it, the first rank relieves it after half an hour,
                      skirmishers move up to the riverbank.

A particular bugle call will announce the reappearance of the enemy, in such a case all men still able to fight return to the line asap.

And Finch will remount his horse at end of turn.

Comment

• Orders Deadline

Alright, I'm back. After falling off the mountain (almost quite literally) and having other (mis)adventures with Lady Tac, it's back to the grind, and shaving my beard.

Having looked at orders and such, I went ahead and did the 'resolution rolls' for a couple of outside possibilities. Those having failed, the Union will not be trying Union Mills again today. And considering the beating that Rainbow took, I doubt anyone is interested in trying to participate in the general pursuit occurring in another couple of hours (after Henry Hill is held and the Union Right breaks).....since that pursuit would require you all to attack at least 1 regiment of 1st Brigade that has been heretofore unengaged.

With that in mind, I'll start on the update ASAP....it'll be a 'wrapping up' update and include some time for you guys to RP and such. As I'm not quite ready for the AAR update and the various and sundry things like recruits, equippage, and so on, that update will come next week, likely Tuesday or Wednesday depending on work.
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Union Mills, Epilogue

Over the next hours, Rainbow is very busy. Bird and Finch complete defensive positions that are capable of securing the ford and allowing other companies to line with them to hold the position. Gardner's men are able to remount the Blakely temporarily, though with the frame cracked it'll take some more work to fabricate a replacement from properly cured timbers.

Dee's riders trail the 16th on the road up to Centreville, drawing within sight of the town before some skirmishers engage them to no effect, and they eventually withdraw after returning some potshots to show that they can hit them. The scouts advise it appears that more troops were withdrawing through Centreville, with a couple of regiments, probably from 1st Brigade, holding the town.

Gardner's and Tremayne's men and horses, with not entirely thrilled help from the Tigers and Tarheels, get the guns through the ford and onto the Confederate side where they're laid in a sort of battery behind Finch's position. The Grenadiers give a little begrudging assistance, but predominately form a defensive line along the road until Dee's riders return....covering the road and drinking tea.

Bates and Sennef, along with Holden, spend their time guarding the prisoners. Around 1600 a battalion from DR Jones' brigade arrives, led by the Grenadier Lieutenant. With more numerous troops to control them, the prisoners are shaken down into marching order and marched off the field towards the General's Headquarters. The Lieutenant brings word:

"Jones sent a regiment up the road, but they ran into more of 5th Division's troops and it didn't seem like a good idea to assault along such a narrow front in the woods. I think he was being a bit timid with all the hullabaloo on Henry Hill. Jackson whooped them up there and set them to fleeing back for Washington, but it was touch and go for a couple of hours."

Having given his parole, Colonel Davies tours the line with Colonel Sennef and several of his riders. He expresses his displeasure with the Brigade's penchant for digging in at all opportunity, calling it a very un-professional way of fighting. However he's impressed with the efficiency, and doubly impressed when he realizes the actual numbers he was fighting. "Your green-jacketed men fight like Tigers, notwithstanding their penchant for odd uniform choices. And who knew that grenadiers, actual grenadiers, would be useful on a modern battlefield. And you say that two months ago most of these officers were businessmen and farmers? Impressive".

Around 1700 a rider comes from the General's Headquarters. Speaking to the Colonel, he says that the General wants a pursuit, but having passed the prisoners on the march and seeing the casualties being tended to, the Captain makes the sensible decision that Rainbow has acquitted itself with honor and anything further would be futile, stating that he will tell that to the General. Instead he takes word to the Surgeon to send wagons for the wounded and burial parties.

It's after dark when General Beauregard arrives at Union Mills, but he is impressed with what has been done as well. A great victory has been won today, and the Yankee invader knows our resolve is as just as our cause. He invites the officers to a dinner to be held the next night.....

(Reply posts should be in the context of an officer's mess post-battle. In attendance are the other commanders on the field, Jackson, Stuart, etc.)

Comment

• Captain Pruitt announces he will send back a recruiting party to the Durham County. These will be NCO's that did well at the ford. He wants more Cavalry, but getting Horses and arms will be harder this time. If he has to, he may accept Volunteers that will fight on foot. An Infantry Company for the Legion might well be received. He does have 30 Short Band Enfields and at least 20 Army Colt Pistols in reserve. It may be hard to get another shipment from his brother in New York City. He will check into getting arms from Cincinatti.

He does offer to look for Draft Horses for the captured Cannon.

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Finch will excuse himself from the dinner because he has some urgent business to attend to, but will return in the morning (on Monday as usual).

Comment

• General Jackson turns to Colonel Sennef over dinner. "I think you gave the invaders something to consider, their own personal Trebia. Took a lot of guts to let that many Yankees get in so close before you closed the trap on them."

Meanwhile, Colonel Davies is eating with the other officers, and says "I had my first regiment run off the field by two guns and a company of men armed with grenades of all things. I didn't believe such a fantastic report, so I pushed the balance of the Brigade across the ford, after my batteries seemed to have driven off the artillery and the cavalry looked to have left as well. Then four companies of infantry held up two whole regiments of New York Volunteers like baying hounds on a bear, and my brigade got shattered by a cavalry charge that by rights should have been shot to pieces if the men hadn't been so single minded on capturing those green jackets. I will say though, that Colonel Sennef of theirs, and the second in command, Fawcett, they're inspiring. Charging right into the thick of it with no regard to their personal safety and making sure that they only had to fight the 5th division once. Caught all of us by surprise, between that and Marius' Moles digging in whenever they stopped moving."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X