Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    Union Mills Map
    ...Tremayne's gunners continue to fire on the enemy artillery. All three shells merely give the enemy a whiff, unfortunately, and do no discernible damage...
    Originally posted by Colonel Sennef View Post
    Brit Bat & Gardners Battery: Relay Fire, pour it onto the ford now! Prevent those New Yorker reinforcements from reaching the south shore. Close that Ford!
    Yes as I suspected, my small howitzers proved largely ineffective in the long range counter-battery role, so I've now switched their fire to the ford at Col. Sennef's request.
    Your obedient servant
    Lord Tremayne, Britannic Bty
    Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 11 Oct 17, 15:28.

Comment

• With my remaining piece I focus fire on the ford, alternating shot and case into it. With the shot we aim into the mass of troops and with the elevation should end up with casualties and a large column of water soaking the men... and their powder... hopefully.
      Case is adjusted up a turn or two to get an overhead burst with a 2 second fuze.

Comment

• In case someone is not sure of my orders, we will hit the end of the New York 31st Infantry and roll up their flank. We are trying to put the SKER (reference to Nathan Bedford Forrest) into them. It would be nice if the two companies following me in my column do not stop and keep riding with us.

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
          In case someone is not sure of my orders, we will hit the end of the New York 31st Infantry and roll up their flank. We are trying to put the SKER (reference to Nathan Bedford Forrest) into them. It would be nice if the two companies following me in my column do not stop and keep riding with us.
          "That is the idea Pruitt"
          shouts Colonel Sennef
          BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• DESPATCH TO COL. SENNEF-

Sir, my 3 light howitzers are shelling the ford as you ordered, but if you feel they'd be more useful in a close support role, be assured that my men stand ready to move to within 200 yards of the enemy to pepper the blighters with canister if you should so desire.
            Yours humbly
            Lord Tremayne, Britannic Bty.

Comment

• Colonel Sennef is likely caught up in his cavalry charge (read: unlikely to respond before the update) but Lt Colonel Fawcett thoroughly welcomes the proposed flying salvo, especially if Lord Tremayne believes he can fire it into the Federals before the cavalry hits!
              Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                Colonel Sennef is likely caught up in his cavalry charge (read: unlikely to respond before the update) but Lt Colonel Fawcett thoroughly welcomes the proposed flying salvo, especially if Lord Tremayne believes he can fire it into the Federals before the cavalry hits!
                Very good Col. Fawcett, with your permission I have ordered my battery to rapidly advance down the arrow to join Finch's men in the front line from where they can begin pouring canister into the enemy.
                Yours, Tremayne, Britannic Bty

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 12 Oct 17, 18:46.

Comment

• Over the gunfire, Cpt Bird believes he heard the three-trumpet signal.

During the last few minutes, Lt Walsh, 2Lt Frumm, his First Sergeant and himself have been pushing his Green Jackets into somewhat of a firing line....It is their first firefight...It is their baptism of fire...It is no longer a romantic adventure and easy glory...It is the real thing, and it is deadly.

Through the encouragement of their officers or intimidation of the First Sergeant, the green clothed lads are holding on, slowly getting back into doing somewhat disciplined volley fire..."You've trained hard for this fight. Show me what you can do. Show the Yanks what you are made off," shouts the Company Commander.

Grabbing 2Lt Walsh, Cpt Bird directs him: "Walk to the left of the line, yell at me when you see the cavalry arriving." The order is shouted, so the troops around know that help is on the way.

Cpt Bird's intention when the cavalry charges is to very quickly reform his ranks, fix bayonets, march forward and stop just outside the woods. He has no intention of participating to the cavalry melee. Instead, the forward movement should raise his troop's morale, help ferment panic in the Yanks, and protect the cavalry rear/right flank. He will only engage his troops, if he can badly hurt the enemy without endangering Rainbow's Left Flank.
                  Last edited by Capt AFB; 12 Oct 17, 18:34.

Comment

• Welcome back, Mr Bird!

Comment

• Originally posted by Khryses View Post
                      Welcome back, Mr Bird!
                      At your service!

Comment

• Gentlemen, correct me if I'm wrong but it seems most of the current action is on the left of our line, so contrary to what I said earlier, I think it best if I now divert my battery to support Mr. Bird on the left.
                        My small howitzers should have no trouble getting through the trees, so my amended orders are as per the map below-
                        Yours, Tremayne, Britannic Bty

Last edited by Poor Old Spike; 12 Oct 17, 22:10.

Comment

• Can you hit the New York Regiment standing there in the Ford?

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
                          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• We're in mid-update lads, unfortunately Spike's last orders change (shifting to the west end of the line) came too late to be received.

As the situation is extremely chaotic (unlikely courage from our brave green boys means most of us are in melee now) the GM advised he's doing a 40 minute update.

Expect text wall incoming soon.

Comment

• Union Mills, 1300hrs

As Colonel Sennef rides off to join his men for the charge, Lt. Col. Fawcett is approached by Captain Tremayne, and quickly gives his blessing for him to 'engage the enemy more closely'. Scrawling out a quick letter, Fawcett sends his wounded lieutenant on his horse to ride to DR Jones and inform him of the action and what intel they have. Stuffing canister into the maws of their howitzers, the Brit Battery leap to their mounts and limber up to join the line. Gardner's remaining gun roars, shell bursting over the ford and causing some casualties, but the 18th New York has reformed and pushes its way through the water without slowing appreciably. Another regiment can be seen approaching the ford, but it is not identifiable yet.

Meanwhile on the line itself, Captain Bird and his NCOs desperately keep men in place, but only a few of the terrified green jackets fire their muskets into what appears to them to be a stalwart line of blue death. Captain Finch's exhortations finally get through to his men and they rise to a knee rank by rank to start firing again. The Grenadier Guards break cover as they move in column towards Bird's beleagured position.

Along the line, Bates, the Tigers, and Finch all fire, but it's having a desultory effect and not effectively suppressing the yankees. However, Finch's men are hearing a strange whistle by them, and Yankee officers in the 32nd start going down, along with men on the far end of the line that had started to wrap around Finch's flank.....Holden's marksmen are having a lark and one of them says to the other "Mighty obliging of them to move in so close"

The Yankees aren't wasting time either, and more volleys erupt from their lines. The 31st has the better of it, nearly breaking Bird's men completely but they're hanging onto their wits, if only barely....Bates' men all try to become one with the earth as his Bugler sounds the hunting horn with a call for aid. The 18th is now fully over the ford, and Lord Tremayne can see the colors of the 16th NY stepping into the water, and Gardner's shot bursting harmlessly long.

As the cavalry continue to close, moving from fast trot to canter on their way to the full gallop, the fire along the line continues to cause casualties but not have any decisive effect. The yankee return fire is brutal, and more men fall. Bates barely avoids being wounded as the man beside him goes down, and all of the rest of his men cower in their small cover, unwilling to move lest they attract more fire.

The 31st New York, taking no fire to its front, fixes bayonets on their rifles and advances at the double quick, already shouting in triumph as they expect to take prisoners and roll up the pesky green jacketed troops who have held them so long. Bates and Bird both desperately try to get their men into line, to either fire or to stand with bayonet or clubbed rifle, but the men won't budge....yet in some sort of odd fatalism they won't flee either, just accepting that they're about to be captured. Taking some effective fire still, the 32nd NY isn't quite as ready to charge and is content with its current rate of exchange.

Lord Tremayne and his gunners gallop across the field, and from his vantage astride his black stallion he witnesses a sight he had seen before, at Balaclava nearly seven years ago. Captain Pruitt leading, pistol in each hand, the Tar Heel Troop spurs into the charge at the head of a column, three buglers playing the charge over and over as two hundred cavalry hurtle towards over two thousand infantry.....there is some affect on the line companies....men still won't fire, but they stand and level bayonet or draw knife as if being ready to get it over with.

Just as the 31st NY closes on the treeline, about to cleanly overrun the broken men in front of them, Pruitt's Tar Heels crash into them, pistols blazing as they ride by their flank and right down the rear of their line, turning a parade-ground perfect bayonet charge into a morass as men form little involuntary rally squares with their comrades. Right on their heels, the Saddle Blazers, led by the Colonel himself, ride into the chaos. Standing in the saddle and hacking left and right, they start to bog down and lose momentum.

Having ridden a bit wide on a mission to fend off the skirmishers seen across the river earlier in the day, the "Dutch Hussars" find no one to fire upon, and wheel right, crashing into the 31st just past where the Saddle Blazers' charge has been slowed. Firing their rifle before slinging it to draw saber, the Hussars also plow into the 31st New York, slashing on all sides. The melee is infectious, and quite without orders the Green Jackets lunge out of the trees with leveled bayonets, having at their tormentors......yet somehow the 31st's unengaged companies attempt to wheel about and bring the whole mess under fire as the 18th also wheels.....And Bates men also go from fatalistic to frantic, running into the mess with knife and clubbed carbine, despite their captain's orders to hold.

Gardner's shot screams overhead, bursting over the ford and causing the 16th NY to slow as significantly more men throw themselves to the ground than take a hit. His galloper guns finally near Finch, Tremayne wheels about and dismounts, his men dashing to prepare in the face of the enemy. Leroy and Finch have kept up a fire, as has Holden, but so has the 32nd, and men drop on all sides, but somehow the Tigers and Finches continue to hold. As they bear, the Brittanics fire, ripping holes into the 32nd with a combined weight of 72 pounds of musket balls. The 32nd simply melts in the onslaught, men streaming away towards the ford and running right into the 18th New York standing in their way.

In the center of the mess, beating left and right with the flat of his sword as he tries to get men into line, is Colonel Davies and his staff. Seeing the enemy brigade commander not two hundred yards from him, Colonel Sennef spurs his horse, leading a stream of men from all the cavalry companies as he fights his way through towards him. Still in column, Lt. Col. Fawcett sees this as the point of crisis in the battle and drawing his sword gives the shout "Into Line! Charge!" The Grenadiers cock their carbines as they rush forward in a body through the Tigers position, who, totally spent, sag with relief. The volley of the Grenadiers brutalizes the 32nd yet again and the men sling their carbines and dash forward, a warbling high pitched yell building as they impact the 32nd New York with bowie knives in hand.

Gardner fires again, but his bolt goes wide over the trees and misses the ford entirely. Loading feverishly, the Brittanics let off another whiff of canister into the only open section in the union lines, tearing gaping holes into it but just missing making a number of the Grenadiers casualties as well. Holden's men fire at targets of opportunity, but there are few of them to be had, and Finch gets his men to fire off another volley, adding more to the pandemonium. Caught up in the excitement, a few of Finch's men run forward to fire with pistol, and the rest of the company follows suit despite commands to stand fast, pistols cracking as the Finches show they have more teeth than rifle or bayonet.

Meanwhile, on the Left, Bird, Bates, Pruitt, and Dee go at the 31st hammer and tongs, with saber, bayonet, knife, and clubbed rifle, all ready ammunition being expended. The 31st finally breaks under the pressure, dissipating into surrendering men and routing men, Bates and Bird suddenly overwhelmed not with enemies but with prisoners. Exhausted, Pruitt and his men assist them in rounding up prisoners, while Dee hasn't had quite enough yet, and leads his hussars to press on and join the Colonel in his crusade to seize the union commander!

In the Center, it's not a matter of getting the enemy to withdraw. It's a matter of cutting through a mass of men, some fleeing for their lives, some casting about for any of their comrades, but all of them still deadly foes with short pikes in their hands. Fawcett and his Grenadiers keep shoving, cutting, and grabbing their foes dropped bayonets to thrust as they move forward with single minded devotion to reach their commander. Caught up in the lines, the Saddle Blazers bash about on all sides with reckless abandon, horses rearing and kicking as they try to keep up with their Colonel....who finally reaches his opposite number in the middle of a melee more suited to a bygone era.

In the middle of the not-yet-broken 18th, the Saddle Blazers find themselves being unhorsed, firing with their pistols as they confront the back of the enemy formation, trying to get through. Colonel Davies tries to flee through his men, and Sennef braves multiple bayonets which stab through his jacket tails, in order to reach him, grab him by the collar, and pull him onto the neck of his horse. With the Colonel now at sword point, the men of the 18th start to shy away from the red-hatted riders, giving the Hussars and opening to join their comrades, horses foaming and shiny with sweat.

More men surrender as the 18th makes for the ford, holding something resembling order as they try to cross, the 16th now finding itself going in reverse, their opportunity to affect this particular fight lost. With Fawcett boldy standing before them, the Grenadiers manage to shake out into line as the totally spent cavalry content themselves with their prisoners, other Federals running hither and yon up and down river.

Gardner's battery fires again at the ford, and luck is finally back with them, the round bursting well and showering the 18th and 16th New York with fire and splinters. The 18th shatters, no longer willing to stand firm after seeing two whole regiments sundered. The 16th continues to maintain order, officers threatening to shoot men who run as they make for a position to protect the line of retreat for the army. Grenades fly and burst among the 18th, sending panicked men into a frenzy and 1855 Springfields are dropped wholesale as men run across the ford or swim around the mass. The volley does little more than continue to encourage the exodus. Fawcett bellows for the Brigade to join him and for his men to give them another volley......
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Update Continued

Map

OOC Notes:

1) This thing got so snarled up at the '20 minute mark' that I opted to extend it to 40 minutes, because there was for all practical and realistic purposes nothing that a commander could actually do.

2) Bates, Bird, Finch, and Leroy ALL should have broken multiple times during this update. I have a table for those things, but I also include an element of randomness because that's life. Every time I rolled after determining that you'd broken, your men somehow pulled it out of their arse with such high rolls I couldn't in good conscience send you routing off the field.....don't expect that such epic resistance is common to troops that are at best 'regulars' at worst 'raw recruits'. It shouldn't have happened, but it did.

3) And as to the epic good luck, the colonel managed to dodge certain death and pull that capture off with a stroke of nothing but pure luck. Again, don't expect these results to maintain through battles. Unless your troops reach 'legendary' levels of prestige and skill, then you might expect miracles.

This update took me quite literally 2 hours to type up.....so I won't be posting a casualty report tonight. Expect casualties to be high, very high, I just don't have the mental faculties to do all the copying and pasting. Khryses and Sennef can both see the full roster through links I had PMed them earlier, so they can post a casualty report if they so desire.
                                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X