No announcement yet.

Rainbow Regiment, Ep 1: 1861

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His men refreshed and ready to march, Fawcett leads them to retrace their previous steps - across the north eastern shoulder of Sentry Hill, and then looping north to form to the rear of Bird's copse of trees. There they form in two lines, one crouching in the fallback position previously prepared by Bird and the other crouching three paces behind. Fawcett will command the front line, and his senior Lieutenant the second.

Once his men are on the march he calls his junior Lt over and swiftly dictates a note to be carried to DR Jones' position to the west (via Colonel Sennef's position on the hill for review or amendment if he deems necessary):

General Jones,

My compliments of the day. Rainbow Brigade has replaced Ewell's Brigade on the right flank of the army, and is now engaged with Miles' lead brigade. He is trying our hold on the crossing at Union Mills, and we are holding strongly. The recent arrival of 5th Division's artillery suggests he is throwing more of his weight in our direction in order to turn the army's flank.

If he has stripped men from your front, I urge you to strike a blow either at his rear or directly on the army's headquarters at Centreville.

If the Federals continue to maintain position opposite you in strength, I request any reinforcement you can spare.

We can continue to hold against a Brigade of Federalists all day, but may be tried if they attempt the crossing in divisional strength or greater.

I am honoured to remain, your humble servant,

Lt. Col Fawcett,
    North Carolina Grenadier Guard
    Rainbow Brigade

The Lt. is encouraged to ride on from Gen'l Jones' position to army headquarters with a situation report from both fords for General Beauregard's attention.

--

Bird will encourage his men to maintain their fire, staying low or behind trees to reload with their bayonets not fixed but close to hand.

He shouts encouragement to his men, reminding them that they do not need to hold forever - they only need to keep pouring fire into the New Yorkers and the cavalry will come up to drive them from the field. Pour it into them, lads!
    Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

• "Orderly, I want a message sent to Colonel Sennef! Sir, I am waiting for the Right of the enemy line to advance a little further and then we will advance and hit them. Let me know by three bugle blasts if you want me to ride in sooner."

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

• "Men! I want to form a column of fours. First unit will be the Legion, then Sennef's Company and then Dee's Company. We will ride in close, let off our Enfields and go to our pistols as we ride into them. Aim for the bellies if you can! We are waiting for the signal, but if you see me ride at them, try to catch up! Dee's Company, you might as well draw your sabers as I hope to have scattered the enemy line by the time you get there."

Captain Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Comment

• Not needing his telescope to identify the New Yorkers in front of him, Bates took cover behind pile of packed dirt.
          "Keep firing, it is the only thing that keeps those scoundrels away" He shouted at his men before turning to a man next to him.
          "Use your bugler to call for assistance, we need help or we run."
          From Devastation - Knights Twilight Warhammer 40,000 Quest
          Rear Admiral Sander Van der Zee, Commander of Dutch Far East Theatre
          "There is never enough firepower!"

Comment

• Cpt Leroy expected a fight and he is getting it. His men are pinned but they continue to load and fire as they have drilled. Some have done the drill for a couple decades and can load as fast as a green soldier standing. 30 men are firing at any one time so long as blue shirts can be aimed at. 2 men out of four are loading, while the other 2 are aiming and firing. No shot wasted is the mantra today. For every man they take of ours 10 of theirs go down and there is no shortage of targets to shoot at. Its not their volleys that bother us so much as the shrapnel from those damn guns. Cpt Leroy wishes there were enough line troops so he could've positioned his men on the flanks where he may not have been such a sitting duck but we're no stranger to the line. Half of his men were line infantry at some point in some army and are glad to have some cover and concealment and fire well aimed shots. Just those things alone motivate the veterans and they're willing to make a last stand if need be, so long as they don't die in vain. We may not have bayonets on our muskets, but damned if a bunch of French, Irish, German, Isleños and Natives armed with bowie knifes, cutlasses and tomahawks dressed as Zuoaves won't strike fear upon the Yankees!
            The Europa Barbarorum II team [M2TW] needs YOUR HELP NOW HERE!

Comment

• "Frozen" means what exactly ?

No movement will result from my orders ? Or no orders are to be given at all ?
              Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

• Phase 3!

Colonel Sennef takes stock then gives his orders. It is time for Phase 3!

But let's try not to act like the amateurs that we really are. Close off the tap first!

Brit Bat & Gardners Battery: Relay Fire, pour it onto the ford now! Prevent those New Yorker reinforcements from reaching the south shore. Close that Ford!

Then he turns to his Bugler: 'Three Calls! Now!'

Cavalry: Pruit, Dee, Sennef Phase 3 Charge!!!

CS considers for two or three seconds, 'should he stay or should he go?', murmers: 'God hates a coward', mounts his white horse and joins his squadron in the mad downhill charge!
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

• "Let us be thankful for what we are about to receive! Charge!"

Colonel Pruitt places his reins in his mouth and pulls two pistols as he begins to move forward, moving up from a walk to a trot to a canter.

Colonel Pruitt, Tarheel Legion Cavalry

Comment

• "Charge! Angriff!"

The Hussars take off from their starting position, rifles in hand, ready to deliver a volley at a moments notice. Being behind the other two cavalry detachments suits D.O. Dee just fine - hopefully the other men will take the volley before they close the distance. The Hussars aren't going to disrupt the formation by trying to get in front of the other two troops.

The goal is to get around the flanks of the New Yorkers to lay down some rapid fire from their breachloaders, and Dee knows his rifles will give the Hussars some real power if the reinforcements come across the ford - though with their accuracy, Dee has already alerted some of his men to the danger across the river. They might be behind the other cavalry, but that means they're in a good position to lay down some fire across the river on the artillery there.

The goal is support for the Hussars, to help the others as necessary - though they do have their thick sabers for a reason...

Comment

• Note:

The Artillery Batteries North of the River are Greyed Out. Meaning that the batteries are still there, but abandoned by their crews.
                      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        Note:

The Artillery Batteries North of the River are Greyed Out. Meaning that the batteries are still there, but abandoned by their crews.
                        Ah, gotcha.

In that sense, my orders will be amended to address the cavalry there instead - the Hussars will use their ranged firepower to try and interdict the crossing and keep the Union cavalry at bay, moving in to launch their own charge if their is a clear opportunity (Dee is an organized industrialist - he loathes chaos and even his inexperienced mind sees trying to launch a charge through friendly units as a probable mistake).

In effect, the Hussars are backing up their fellows, but will engage in melee if the opportunity presents itself.

Comment

• Gotcha. So you'll be aiming to suppress the skirmishers on the other side of the river rather than try to charge through your own companies.

Comment

• Deadline Reminder

Deadline for orders is 2100hrs Thursday, if at all possible.

Absolute Drop Dead Time is 2100hrs Friday if I don't have most or all orders in and can't do an update.

We have players who don't get online on the weekends, so I try to have updates done by Friday morning in the European Time Zones for those players. I do realize that a 2 day turnaround is tight, so if I'm missing more than 1 or 2 order sets, or an order set that is absolutely vital to the update, I'll extend to the third day. However, doing that puts a lot of pressure on some of our players to do their own 2 day turnaround for the Tuesday orders.....because they won't have the weekend to mull over their course of action.

Comment

• Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              Gotcha. So you'll be aiming to suppress the skirmishers on the other side of the river rather than try to charge through your own companies.
                              Indeed. They'll take potshots anywhere if there is a target, but I don't think trying to squeeze between them in another charge is going to be a smart move - especially considering our men are collectively untrained and not used to working with one another.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
                                "Frozen" means what exactly ?

No movement will result from my orders ? Or no orders are to be given at all ?
                                The only order you're sure they'll obey is retreat.

Any other order will have a chance of being obeyed. The men can also rout at any moment. Only the presence of fortifications is keeping them in place.....they see cowering to be safer than running.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X