Relationships

Comment

Maps - AGN

Comment

Maps - AGC

Comment

Maps - AGS

Comment

Alright, that's the last update there. Feel free to post orders and discuss what is to be done!

First things first, really consider which units you want to give Luftwaffe support... but just remember that it does cost PP to do so, and we have a LOT of decisions to consider.

Secondly, pay attention to the relationships information I've posted this turn. This is important because this does have an impact on the game. While you are playing as certain figures, how strong their relationship is with me alters things.

For example, if I have a poor relationship with a Generalfeldmarschall, then all of a sudden you can't put your army focus on your panzergruppe anymore. The FM is too upset to play ball with me in my ivory tower in Berlin.

That means that you may have to start making "bad" decisions to earn their favor some more, if you want your AG to perform better. Generally, when it comes to decisions, pay attention to what the general in that sector would probably want - for instance, he doesn't want his captured trucks handed over to the logistics arm, he wants them for his men in the field.

Currently, I have a 0 relationship with AGS. This means you may want to consider in your decisions giving von Rundstedt a favor to keep him on our side... otherwise, it will have a cascading effect on the whole operation.

Remember, we're not just fighting the Reds, we're trying to manage the personalities and people involved as well.

And finally, be sure to really evaluate every single PP expenditure this turn, because we have a lot of events to answer. Be sure when selecting your decisions you are sure to ask around and secure support from other generals, because you may end up overreaching yourselves - and then you might not get anything.

Comment

One thing I have found that works well is to give the Army Group Commander half the trucks "found". It makes them happy and gives the Trucking Supply at least some of the trucks. Whoever runs the supply convoys will not like it, but we should be in good with him already.

Pruitt
              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Since some idiot ordered the 4th Panzer to go charging 2/3 of the way to Smolensk I guess we will have to rescue them. So I will send the 29th mot North 2 hexes to impose on the RA 143rd Inf. and also to occupy the pre-dug defensive line. If I could beg the 4th army to send the 252nd and 17th infantry divisions to crush that puny RA division I would appreciate it.
                Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                  Since some idiot ordered the 4th Panzer to go charging 2/3 of the way to Smolensk I guess we will have to rescue them. So I will send the 29th mot North 2 hexes to impose on the RA 143rd Inf. and also to occupy the pre-dug defensive line. If I could beg the 4th army to send the 252nd and 17th infantry divisions to crush that puny RA division I would appreciate it.
                  That was actually a very good move, it puts your Panzers within striking distance of Smolensk before they have to pause & refit. What you have to do it be energetic with your infantry now... and you are seeing why it is a bad idea let different Armies get all tangled up now. I'd let the ones trying to get back in touch take the long way round in the swamp- use them to encircle that army on their way north.

Speaking of north, AGN should detail one Infantry Army to cover your flank somehow, I'll keep using 6th Army to maintain contact as best I can. Once Kiev is ours and that damn swamp is behind us things will naturally improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    One thing I have found that works well is to give the Army Group Commander half the trucks "found". It makes them happy and gives the Trucking Supply at least some of the trucks. Whoever runs the supply convoys will not like it, but we should be in good with him already.

Pruitt
                    I agree it would be a conciliatory motion, and hopefully keep both sides appeased. I need my generals focused on the Reds, not each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsar View Post
                      Yeah that would be a bold move even for me.

As you know from the group chat you set up (thanks for that) the Group commander was in favor or securing the next layer of rail bridges to the east and possibly some of the fortifications.

I encouraged that. I did not expect Mogilev or Orsha to both be open. Still your units took Orsha on the historical schedule. That is about the only thing any of our army groups are on a historical track with.

Basically your group commander wanted to secure important rail bridges to the east. The 4th Panzer division commander went really ham and drove all the way to Orsha.

The bottom line is we can secure him a retreat path but I wonder if he can actually hold Orsha. If he can hold it then he has broken not one but potentially three defensive lines.

The real problem is not that he went there but that he went there with so little support. The pocket north of Minsk could have been reduced in turn six instead of turn 5. We should have used enough mobile units to secure it and let the infantry finish it this turn. The mobile units used to kill it could possibly be have been used to better secure the route to Orsha and Mogilev.

Now this next bit is not just about AGC or this turn.

I think as an entire theater we have had a tendency to use panzers to reduce pockets that could have been eliminated the same turn or the next turn by infantry alone (or with less mobile units). Sometimes the mobile units must be involved but higher losses in the infantry or maybe even an extra turn is often better than burning fuel, tanks, miles and men from units that could be accomplishing, preparing or saving for better projects.

Why are we having so much logistics problems? Why are we behind?

Because we did not have Poland and France to leaarn our doctrine (this game system). But we have been inefficient in multiple ways and we still don't have it figured out. If we had played threw the same system in France and Poland we'd be kicking.

I'd say lets do it again with 1942 when that game comes out but the company haas already done it using a very different system.
                      Last edited by Widow Maker; 11 Apr 16, 15:27.
                      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
                      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        That was actually a very good move, it puts your Panzers within striking distance of Smolensk before they have to pause & refit. What you have to do it be energetic with your infantry now... and you are seeing why it is a bad idea let different Armies get all tangled up now. I'd let the ones trying to get back in touch take the long way round in the swamp- use them to encircle that army on their way north.

Speaking of north, AGN should detail one Infantry Army to cover your flank somehow, I'll keep using 6th Army to maintain contact as best I can. Once Kiev is ours and that damn swamp is behind us things will naturally improve.
                        I agree but the needs to secure the 4th Panzer and Mogilev will probably keep us from securing a loose pocket in the northern marshes.

High command wants us to ignore the marshes saying they expect no Reds to appear. Unless there is some kind of partisan action your northern flank should be secure as long as we control the rail line.

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                          I encouraged that. I did not expect Mogilev or Orsha to both be open. Still your units took Orsha on the historical schedule. That is about the only thing any of our army groups are on a historical track with.

Basically your group commander wanted to secure important rail bridges to the east. The 4th Panzer division commander went really ham and drove all the way to Orsha.

The bottom line is we can secure him a retreat path but I wonder if he can actually hold Orsha. If he can hold it then he has broken not one but potentially three defensive lines.,,,
                          You are thinking right and wrong at the same time.
                          Its not a matter of supporting him, the Motor and the Inf Div closest to 4th Pnzr are all the help it needs.
                          Instead, you must think in terms of smashing into the Reds that are north and west of them, along the main RR line. THAT is what will hurt the enemy most, and help you. That Motorized Div can take the fort hex west of the 4th and give you nice concentric bonuses too.
                          It would be great if the 4th could dig in, but this game has a weird sense of scale to it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            You are thinking right and wrong at the same time.
                            Its not a matter of supporting him, the Motor and the Inf Div closest to 4th Pnzr are all the help it needs.
                            Instead, you must think in terms of smashing into the Reds that are north and west of them, along the main RR line. THAT is what will hurt the enemy most, and help you. That Motorized Div can take the fort hex west of the 4th and give you nice concentric bonuses too.
                            It would be great if the 4th could dig in, but this game has a weird sense of scale to it.
                            except all we have this turn are our infantry. We are in the same shape this trun that the other AGs were last turn there is no fuel to move our mobile units. The 29th Motorized is the only mobile unit we can affor to move and it will be limited.

The 20th Army is a fresh unit. The good thing is PG2 beat it to the river crossings the fortified line and Mogilev/Orsha. The bad news is that a fresh Soviet army can attack the 4th Panzer from multiple hexes or even surround it. The Russians have been falling back but this is the best counter attack potential they have had. If they are going to stand this is the place. If they concentrate we can punish them for it in a turn or two but can Tsar hold Orsha and the fort/river line? and can he save the 4th?

More accurately can the infantry do all this because turn six (July 16-20th I think) belongs to the landswehr infantry. It is nice that the 29th Mot has a little fuel left to help.

Not my problem tho. Just commenting cuz my PG is in stuck in rest status this turn. I hope it is free next turn. I notice that the FSB for AGS and AGN turned the fuel on after one turn (every hint I saw said 2 turns) hopefully the rest status works the same way.

At best it looks like we can clear the main rail line and maybe secure Mogilev and the river crossing and adjacent fort there.

To do that there is only the 29th Motorized and a very few infantry units that have to move a long way and will only have limited attack potential left.
                            Last edited by Widow Maker; 11 Apr 16, 15:54.

Comment

My PG can't move, either, so all I can do is look and nod agreeably.
                              "We have no white flag."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Berlin.1945
                                by casanova
                                The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                                Yesterday, 23:41
                              • casanova
                                AW 169M
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                                Yesterday, 23:26
                              • JBark
                                What changed?
                                by JBark
                                There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                                Yesterday, 18:54
                              Working...
                              X