No announcement yet.

Victory in the Pacific AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we can second the squadron sent on the Dutch Harbor raid to something else, maybe Pearl, or maybe put the light carriers on other operations to help speed them along (a light carrier at Wake would have taken out the defending aircraft and that island would fall more quickly).

Also, what's the chance of mounting an attack on Midway early on....take Wake and Midway and subs (and even surface attackers) can leapfrog across the ocean to lay off of Pearl. Planes based on Midway would also be an early warning system for us, as well as a thorn in the US's side, and keep them out of our backyard for a while.

As for ships, I'll take something that's not going to be too terribly busy, a BB or CA most likely.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

The Kido Butai went from Hawaiian waters to the Dutch East Indies. They were instrumental in destroying Dutch, American and British Naval assets there. Then the task force went into the Indian ocean and just about killed all the Royal Navy there!

I do agree on sending a small carrier to Wake. Maybe the Hosho is available?

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
        The Kido Butai went from Hawaiian waters to the Dutch East Indies. They were instrumental in destroying Dutch, American and British Naval assets there. Then the task force went into the Indian ocean and just about killed all the Royal Navy there!

I do agree on sending a small carrier to Wake. Maybe the Hosho is available?

Pruitt
        Well, we also have to have something to occupy the "Home" areas. The 1-0-7 cruisers are a popular choice for that, so are little carriers with a speed of 4.
        Like Hosho, it isn't much of a carrier and it has a very low transfer speed from one front to the other.
        So.... wherever you send it, it is more or less committed.
        IMHO, those little guys are best used to support landings that are contested, like P.I. and Guadalcanal.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I'd send one of the CVLs from the Dutch Harbor raid to Wake, and send the other to head up the operations down South until the Kido Butai gets back.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
            I'd send one of the CVLs from the Dutch Harbor raid to Wake, and send the other to head up the operations down South until the Kido Butai gets back.
            Are those two CVL's available? The Hosho is available. Wake was hit by air raids from nearby Japanese held islands. The Hosho only holds 15 aircraft, so if they carry all fighters, they can tear up any fighters on Wake. The Dutch Harbor Raid was almost a year after Pearl Harbor. The IJN had not converted the original ships to CVL's at the beginning of the war.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
              Are those two CVL's available? The Hosho is available. Wake was hit by air raids from nearby Japanese held islands. The Hosho only holds 15 aircraft, so if they carry all fighters, they can tear up any fighters on Wake. The Dutch Harbor Raid was almost a year after Pearl Harbor. The IJN had not converted the original ships to CVL's at the beginning of the war.

Pruitt
              I almost picked Ryujo instead of one of the big carriers-
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane...yūjō

It is a neat & handy little carrier with 48 aircraft and good armament. But you can't have everything on a 10,000-ton hull, so its too slow to keep up with the fast carriers and the cruisers.

It did raid Dutch Harbor, at the time of Midway.
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

The Ryujo is tasked with attacking Mindinao while Luzon is being attacked. They did not accomplish much there. It would be up to the Supreme Commander.

Pruitt

Comment

I would say that the small carriers just aren't going to cut it for much near major military bases. I'd retask them to Wake, and heck I'd detail a regiment and a battalion along with a couple of CAs and a CVL to taking Midway....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X