This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn 3 Summary

Couple of notes right now, in lieu of a video update (probably wont get a video up until this weekend due to traveling):

Fuel has reached critical levels. The offensives by AGN and AGC have stalled due to a lack of fuel, leaving our panzers and motorized units stranded. More fuel should be coming eventually, but be prepared to be stuck in place for a turn or two as our supply lines try to catch up with us.

I will look around for any divisions in need of rest and refit and tell you about them personally.

When it comes to infantry divisions, fatigue is still generally low (as an example, the 1st INF in AGN is at Low Fatigue, giving -4% readiness but no AP penalty. This is pretty consistent across the board, so there is no need to start resting your infantry at this time).

The Bialystok pocket was eliminated for around a hundred infantry casualties, which was incredible.

Changing to sustained attack will give you lesser offensive bonuses, lesser defensive penalties, and less AP bonus - but will also stop giving your foot infantry fatigue, as they won't be moving as constantly as before.

I recommend giving this to your infantry armies once you feel you've taken a good chunk of forward land - otherwise you will have to set aside time to rest and refit your infantry armies anyway, due to fatigue from marching.

However, changing posture costs 2 PP, so it will have to be measured against the pp total we already have.

The only Romanian offensive that worked this turn was the 4th R. Army, and that's because they were hit with a) overwhelming numbers and b) from multiple directions. The single stack attacks on the left flank of the 11. Army's offensive were stalemates due to the narrow front and lack of flank attacks.

Single-stack attacks are very limited since you can only bring about 3 divisions in effectively before you start getting negatives. Better to spread out your divisions and attack from 2-3 different directions to get that bonus modifier for multiple directions.

Remember: the more directions you attack from, the more divisions you can use and the bigger the offensive bonus.

The centralized stacks of units for the 3rd Romanian Army means they're vulnerable to envelopment. It may be better to switch them to a sustained posture and spread them out than risk a surprise Russian offensive surrounding them.

Due to a very limited PP pool, I went down the line of decisions from unanimous to the most contested.

The FSB for AGC was NOT moved, due to a lack of PP and the fact that, despite running out of oil, AGC is only ONE hex away from Minsk.

This means that Minsk must be taken soon, and you might not have your panzers every turn to do so, but you are very close to capturing it. If you can capture it in a turn or two, our next offer to change FSB should be to Minsk directly, skipping the need for Brest entirely.

AGN, due to securing Kaunus and moving forward, should get the option to turn Kaunus into an FSB soon. If you can take Riga before then, good. If not, we may have to settle for Kaunus - especially as the lack of oil will dampen any offensive movements at this stage.

The Lvov-Tarnopol line is a strong one, though due to a lack of fuel you may not be able to close the pocket quickly. I would recommend making a strike to the SE your next priority, even if its just using your infantry, to see if you can bag some more Red divisions along the Dniestr.

General observations:

Logistics are the key vulnerability we possess. We can outfight the Soviets everywhere, but we are running out of fuel and pushing our supply lines to their limits. We cannot advance at this rate forever, and may need to make strategic decisions about when to rest our forces.

AGC: your truck columns are receiving the most wear due to the distance they have to travel. Once you take Minks and make that an FSB you should be in a very good position, but just be aware that 1/4 of your trucks are being used for your infantry and artillery, and about another 1/4 of your trucks are in need of repair. The longer you go without taking Minsk, the less transport capacity you will have.

AGN and AGS should be getting a FSB move option soon, and I recommend you seriously consider taking it (especially for AGS, as your next FSB site is not close).

Our infantry are not fatigued yet, but you may wish to start moving your infantry armies over to Sustained Offensive rather than Blitzkrieg. This will seriously cut down on their ability to maneuver, but it will keep them from getting overly fatigued. However, considering our lack of fuel, we may need to rely on using our infantry heavily for the coming weeks, so there is no rush there. If anywhere, I start with the Romanians and move up to our better units once they've securing serious objectives.

Russian Army HQ units are hard to eliminate outside of pockets, due to their unwillingness to stand up and fight. They retreat early, making eliminating them fully an unsure prospect.

Artillery Cards and other bonuses are almost always PERMANENT, until the card is reassigned to another Army or division. There is no need to specify moving those cards unless you want to switch to a different force - and even then, you will have to seriously justify it as it costs PP, and we are going to be very low of PP most turns.

Right now were are left with only 6 PP - which is the equivilent of only 2-3 changed cards, or one FSB change. We will have to start playing very stingy with PP.

Comment

The video might be a little while but any chance for some screenies?

I keep my fingernails to short to be biting them.

Appreciate all the work.

Very detailed post ty.
      Last edited by Widow Maker; 09 Mar 16, 16:19.
      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

So, did AGS clear Lvov and Kishinev? Did those two RA HQ units get away from Lvov? How did 6th Army do attacking those weak units West of Rovno? Last, but most important, is the rail line clear to Lvov?

Pruitt
        Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Trying to get Bandicam working again on this Laptop. Screeshots should be in late tonight, though they may be a little lower res than normal.

The Reds failed to launch any attacks on their turn and are just retreating almost across the whole front it seems.

We also did receive a little fuel back this turn, but it's not a lot - be prepared to limit your offensives to just what is necessary.

And we got ALL of the fronts to have a FBS move decision, so that should make everyone happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
            So, did AGS clear Lvov and Kishinev? Did those two RA HQ units get away from Lvov? How did 6th Army do attacking those weak units West of Rovno? Last, but most important, is the rail line clear to Lvov?

Pruitt
            Haa Haa Haaw

Right! I know the feeling.

Do our panzers need ONE hex to be in Minsk or is there an intervening hex?
            What new units did we discover and is there a line in front of Minsk?
            How much did 2PG get sucked into the marshes?
            How close are infantry that is trying to catch up?

We have gone from eagerly awaiting to REALLY eagerly awaiting.

Kind of like getting the first fragmented action reports in. Sort of a realistic simulation....

Of tension induced stress, developing ulcers, coronary disease and increased aging.

Tune in tomorrow...same Bat Time....same Bat Channel.

Yeah! I'm hooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
              Trying to get Bandicam working again on this Laptop. Screeshots should be in late tonight, though they may be a little lower res than normal.

The Reds failed to launch any attacks on their turn and are just retreating almost across the whole front it seems.

We also did receive a little fuel back this turn, but it's not a lot - be prepared to limit your offensives to just what is necessary.

And we got ALL of the fronts to have a FBS move decision, so that should make everyone happy.
              No Red counter-punches is good news.

At least in the AGC area we were probably going to have to limit our advance anyway to let the infantry catch up. PG2's flank at least was going to take more and more mobile forces to cover it if it stretched much further.
              Wish we had got Minsk first though. Maybe we can muster enough.

It might make everyone argue. About who uses the PPs first. If we have any chance or taking Minsk I think AGC should wait but that can wait until the T4 choices are posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post

Pruitt
                Lvov was taken - along with the city to the east - and the units there were either wiped out or retreated after taking casualties.

Both armies did well clearing out territory. Our infantry armies have done very well, and considering the low level of fuel they'll be taking the brunt of fighting for the next few days.

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                  Haa Haa Haaw

Right! I know the feeling.

Do our panzers need ONE hex to be in Minsk or is there an intervening hex?
                  What new units did we discover and is there a line in front of Minsk?
                  How much did 2PG get sucked into the marshes?
                  How close are infantry that is trying to catch up?

We have gone from eagerly awaiting to REALLY eagerly awaiting.

Kind of like getting the first fragmented action reports in. Sort of a realistic simulation....

Of tension induced stress, developing ulcers, coronary disease and increased aging.

Tune in tomorrow...same Bat Time....same Bat Channel.

Yeah! I'm hooked.
                  The unit - I believe it's motorized actually - reached right outside Minsk. What fuel AGC has should be reserved to ensure that a few near units can assault the city. Some units may be better left sitting idle in the meantime to preserve your fuel allocation.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
                    The unit - I believe it's motorized actually - reached right outside Minsk. What fuel AGC has should be reserved to ensure that a few near units can assault the city. Some units may be better left sitting idle in the meantime to preserve your fuel allocation.
                    My thought also.

I appreciate your quick answers but don't really expect them right now. Thanks!

Just making conversations and keeping things active.

I know you can't respond to every question and get anything done. Who know you might want to live your real life a little.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                      My thought also.

I appreciate your quick answers but don't really expect them right now. Thanks!

Just making conversations and keeping things active.

I know you can't respond to every question and get anything done. Who know you might want to live your real life a little.

Thanks again.
                      I won't be able to check specifics for a bit, but if I remember there is only one unit in Minsk as well.

But it's a well dug-in Red Division, so it will require probably 3 divisions attacking from different directions to have a chance of dislodging them.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X