This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (OLD) Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - Game Thread

Welcome to the game thread for the Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa forum campaign. This thread will be for orders, discussions, and the posting of information for players to debate and decide upon.

Each week I will post an updated map for you all and the most recent bout of decisions to be discussed and decided upon.

I will try to keep this first post clear and used as a reference for finding later posts and updated information.

DC3 - Pre-Game Decisions

Note: while we are still getting players in and roles assigned, I am putting forward the first decisions that need to be made.

Most of these events are general ones that everyone can speak up for, so don't be afraid to give me your opinion even if it's not specifically your area of operation. For those that are Heeresgruppe specific, the choice of those specific commanders weighs a lot more. And as we started with no positive or negative relationship modifiers, everyone else's word is equal... for now.

Consider these first decisions a tutorial on the game mechanics, how we will operate, and what it will be like to roleplay within the Barbarossa campaign. Normally, I will not provide this much text support for each decision as it takes a lot of time and is redundant as you will get the pictures instead.
    Decision #1 - Summoned to Berlin

Note: the following images are part of the game mechanics and tutorial explanations - marked Help - that come with some events. Normally I won't include them because they a) start to repeat a lot of information, b) I already know most of what they say so if you have questions you can ask me, and c) it takes up space, time, and there is a image limit per-post.

If I include them in the future I will put them behind a Spoiler tag so they don't take up too much space.

This time however, they explain some pretty big components - such as the fact that I as Halder am not immune to political pressure. If my relations with Hitler get too bad, I can be fired (and the game will end).

Choices:
    1. Support Hitler's plan - Go with the Führer's plans and gain political good will to earn a stream of bonus political points (PP), but this will allow him to meddle and possibly alter the objectives during the campaign. Cost: 0 PP
    2. Moscow or Bust! - Argue that the true goal of the invasion is to seize the capital Moscow at all costs. Hitler will not be pleased and won't provide as much PP, but at least he won't end up switching the objective from Moscow to Leningrad days before winter strikes. Cost: 0 PP
    3. Military Independence - Remind that Bavarian corporal that this is a military campaign and that it will be run by the military according to military principles. This will upset him greatly, and he is unlikely to provide much political support. Cost: 0 PP

Note: The images above in the Help category explain these options in greater detail, but if all that text is a bit much, the short answer is that it goes from easiest (#1) to hardest (#3). Political points are ALWAYS in short supply, and going along with Hitler for now at the risk of having him shuffle the objectives around will make things easier for you down the road.

Voting: please post your choice clearly in at least one part of your response, including the number. This choice is open to everyone.

Comment

General Oberst Halder, I am Major General Witke Hersteller of Field Marshall von Bock's Staff.

Perhaps I am still tired from the hurried flight here. Let me make sure I understand the Fuhrer's current intentions and your dilemma.

There will be no rapid drive for the Bolshevik capital to break their will and communications. Instead it is to be a Leningrad first strategy followed by other objectives. (Historically Leningrad, the south and then Moscow)

I propose the enthusiastic adoption of the Fuhrer's plan. (OPTION ONE) The adoption and swift completion of the Fuhrer's goals will gain us more than his increased support and tolerance of mishaps.

Leningrad is the objective whose capture can be most easily be sped up and that with the minimum of additional support. Its early capture will give us both excellent defensive terrain and a link with the Finns. It will free up troops to support further operations more quickly than other options and probably in greater numbers.

I have thoughts on how Heersgruppe Mitte can contribute to this drive while still pummel the Reds and secure positions for following operations. I will hold further thoughts on Mitte's operations however until the matter at hand is settled
      "Put guards on all the roads, and don't let the men run to the rear."
      Major General John Buford's final words on his deathbed.

Comment

There will be no rapid drive for the Bolshevik capital to break their will and communications. Instead it is to be a Leningrad first strategy followed by other objectives. (Historically Leningrad, the south and then Moscow)

I propose the enthusiastic adoption of the Fuhrer's plan. (OPTION ONE) The adoption and swift completion of the Fuhrer's goals will gain us more than his increased support and tolerance of mishaps.
        I will point out those two are likely incompatible, H. is unlikely to settle for anything less than full conquest.

A Leningrad first strategy - which I would wholeheartedly support btw, would I fear translate into option 3)

Military Independence - Remind that Bavarian corporal that this is a military campaign and that it will be run by the military according to military principles. This will upset him greatly, and he is unlikely to provide much political support. Cost: 0 PP
        Since it would require a major change from the plan as proposed by H. (the historical plan I assume).

von Leeb - Army Group North.
        Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

Historically Hitler opened Barbarossa with Leningrad as the first deep objective. AGC was intended to encircle and eliminate large Soviet forces at Minsk and Smolensk and then assist AGN in taking Leningrad.

I expect the goals we will receive from the Fuhrer will push us in that direction. I am hoping for some clarification on that and just what exactly our initial directions are under Option one.

I expect it to be some form of Leningrad first. We just have be prepared for the Mad Corporal to change our tasking as time goes by.

Another reason to take the first goal quickly to gain (or save PP) and avoid getting close to a goal and having it change. We will also be unable to ignore other areas may become important if goals change or if they are later assigned as follow up tasks.

Whatever the goals supporting Hitler's plans initially will avoid alienating him early and delay the buildup of ill will that could lead to Halder's removal.

Comment

I expect it to be some form of Leningrad first. We just have be prepared for the Mad Corporal to change our tasking as time goes by.
            I expect agreeing with the plan will not allow us to shift assets from army group Centre to North as you proposed, which may lead to all army groups falling just short of their objective.

I do agree clarification is needed.
            Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

OOC: Was terribly sick yesterday and playing catch-up today. Will post the other decisions tomorrow and give you some in character explanations and further data. This virus/infection/whatever got me in the middle of posting the rest of the updates.

... maybe some secret Bolshevik biological weapon!

Comment

Heal up and pamper yourself first if you need to.

I sure hope this is more fun than work for you but any working while you are ill sucks.

Take care of yourself.

Comment

Von Rundstedt opts for Military Independence. I have the hardest task and the resources are barely adequate. I see my first objective as Lvov (control of rail lines) while the Romanians are keeping Soviet troops in place in front of them. We will eventually cut them off and force their surrender.
                  Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                    Von Rundstedt opts for Military Independence. I have the hardest task and the resources are barely adequate. I see my first objective as Lvov (control of rail lines) while the Romanians are keeping Soviet troops in place in front of them. We will eventually cut them off and force their surrender.
                    General Von Wietersheim will back up his superior, von Rundstedt, to a certain degree. He has a proposal of his own on how to win this campaign that has less to do with politics and more to do with strategy.

(I know I don't have much of a say here, just spitballing, really.)

The vast size of Russia means that we must agree to a coherent and coordinated strategy from the outset and not deviate from it. Back-tracking and counter-marches will wear our Divisions out before Moscow can even be threatened.
                    We also have the situation where diverging goals will simply spread our formations out over ever-expanding fronts that can only dilute out efforts and give the Bolsheviks many opportunities to counter-attack us with ever increasing chances of success.

Therefore, I propose that Army Groups North and South strike out for Leningrad and Rostov respectively, with Group Center supporting them both as best it can. Once ONE of those two objectives has been reached, and it does not matter which one is first, the roles are reversed... both AG North and South swing inward to converge on Moscow in cooperation with AG Center.

This will draw everything the Red Army can put in the field into the defense of the one objective that they cannot afford to give up.
                    We would have to be careful not to wear out our mechanized troops in the South, they will have the farthest way to go. We will need the Romanians to be vigorous in their prosecution of the war effort, are there any concessions we can make to them? The Crimea perhaps?
                    Last edited by The Exorcist; 06 Feb 16, 01:23.

Comment

Well for Army Group South to 'win' we have to take Sevastopole, Odessa and Karkov and keep them for a month. At least we should have the Hungarians and Italians coming in to help the Romanians. The Italians sent two Corps, the funny thing about this is one was composed of a Cavalry Division and two Motor Infantry Divisions WITHOUT TRUCKS! It may be outside the scope of this game, but we need to get the Romanians, Hungarians and Italians some decent Antitank Guns. If we encircle and bag enough Red Army Troops, we could probably let them have the Regimental Guns and some of the 76mm Field Guns we take. Some 45mm Antitank Guns might help as well! Maybe of we take enough Trucks we can give them to the Italians for those Foot Mobile Motor Divisions?

Pruitt

Comment

I of course support the idea of cutting off the head of the snake by taking Moscow first, however if we are to go for Leningrad over all other options than we should do it smart.

AGN & AGC should advance in tandem until Smolensk then the infantry from AGC as well as the motorized infantry from PG3 should turn north to assist in capturing Leningrad. PG2 and the Panzers of PG3 will maintain the current position of AGC until Leningrad is captured. Then the infantry and motor infantry of PG3 can return.

AGN will release most of their infantry as well as PG4 and all motorized infantry to attack southward while PG2 swings South of Moscow and PG3 advances straight towards it. In this way a giant cauldron battle can be created and Moscow captured.

If there is enough time before winter sets in all three PG’s can then advance south to assist AGS with the last of the battles needed to finish off the Soviet Union.
                        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy. -- Ernest Benn

Comment

Well for Army Group South to 'win' we have to take Sevastopole, Odessa and Karkov and keep them for a month.
                          Then we can't be of any help with the final push to Moscow, even on the periphery.

The Italians sent two Corps, the funny thing about this is one was composed of a Cavalry Division and two Motor Infantry Divisions WITHOUT TRUCKS! It may be outside the scope of this game,...
                          ... yeah, it probably is, gotta fight with the Army you have, right?

The Italians did have trucks, enough for just one Div, so they mounted one up and let the other fight on foot.
                          There was also a Blackshirt Brigade that fought well, they were more than a match for any Soviet Infantry Brigade. These Italian Units aren't so bad, probably better than any equivalent Balkan Divisions.

Let's see.... a Cavalry and a Mot. Inf Division, a Romanian Panzer Division and more Cavalry, some fast-moving Slovaks as well... you could have the makings of a 2nd Mechanized Gruppe here. They might even be able to help pull my fat out of the fire if I go too far. I could be willing to give them one of my Panzer Divisions if the concept is do-able.

That might be within the scope of the game.

Comment

To combine the Romanian Panzers and Cavalry with the Italians, Hungarians and/or Slovaks we would have to wait until they combine.

There is an interesting German Division in Romania. The 22nd Infantry Division was an Airlanding Division which saw combat in Poland, the Low Countries and France.

Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by Widow Maker View Post
                              I expect the goals we will receive from the Fuhrer will push us in that direction. I am hoping for some clarification on that and just what exactly our initial directions are under Option one.
                              Herr General,

Putting this matter in Hitler's hands means the objectives will be... unknown to me. What he will favor, and it what order, is not known until he decides to share that information with the rest of the general staff.

However, as an example for what allowing him to decide the objectives would look like, I have a hypothetical possibility that could reflect his choices here:

But he could reorganize these to suit his whims. In the future, we might be able to persuade him to stick with those he has decided upon, but that is unclear.

However, by appealing to his ego and allowing him such operational control over our objectives, we will receive the Führer's blessing in return. And that is important political capital.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X