Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa - Community Run Wargame (Old)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get back in your tank general, we're on the eve of the greatest offensive in the history of warfare, this not the time to resign your command.

j/k - I assigned positions rather at random, since they're only three of us it shouldn't really matter much, most moves will be discussed and agreed upon,

You guys are free to switch places obviously, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference...

DoD has accepted our general battle plan as previously discussed, so I think we're good to go - you're free to micromanage your troops beyond my orders though, see also Michele's PM I hopefully forwarded

I'll be back on Monday.
    Lambert of Montaigu - Crusader.

Bolgios - Mercenary Game.

Comment

So, would more detailed orders by Armee commanders useful? Or irrelevant? I'm chiefly asking Daemon of Decay, but also anybody who knows how this game will work in practice.

The general intention for the 16. Armee, for instance, is already laid down. Would it be useful if I stated, say, that the 12. ID should lead the probe onto Kaunas, while the 121. should follow, and the 32. should bring up the rear, at the same time making sure no Soviets withdraw from HGM's area of operations into my main line of communication? Or on the contrary that I want all three divisions to move up front together? Does it make a difference? Just so that we know. Thank you.

Generaloberst Michele
      Michele

Comment

I sent DoD the same battleplan I sent you guys, the reply was clear -

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay
        That works!
        Of course if you want additional control over your divisions, I suspect that works also

Edit: I do suspect that would be useful - it is most certainly your role as army commander.

the reason I didn't was my limited knowledge, I don't know which divisions fight well, march fast, etc..

I'd like to watch them in action first...for now I delegated the responsibility either to DoD when he implements my orders, or you if you feel like it.
        Last edited by Snowygerry; 12 Feb 16, 02:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowygerry View Post
          I sent DoD the same battleplan I sent you guys, the reply was clear -

Of course if you want additional control over your divisions, I suspect that works also

Edit: I do suspect that would be useful - it is most certainly your role as army commander.

the reason I didn't was my limited knowledge, I don't know which divisions fight well, march fast, etc..

I'd like to watch them in action first...for now I delegated the responsibility either to DoD when he implements my orders, or you if you feel like it.
          I certainly know that the 12. ID is a veteran division of the 1. Welle, while the same can't be said of the 121. (11. Welle). The latter also is equipped with captured French motor vehicles. IOW, they're not created equal.

The question is whether the game knows that - and whether it cares about that. I see that almost all infantry divisions are just rated "68".

But even assuming they are all the same, it would still make a difference, in the real world, if I ordered three divisions to proceed apace with one general task for all of them, or to line up in order, with slightly different tasks within the general objective.
          Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Michele View Post
            I certainly know that the 12. ID is a veteran division of the 1. Welle, while the same can't be said of the 121. (11. Welle). The latter also is equipped with captured French motor vehicles. IOW, they're not created equal.

The question is whether the game knows that - and whether it cares about that. I see that almost all infantry divisions are just rated "68".

But even assuming they are all the same, it would still make a difference, in the real world, if I ordered three divisions to proceed apace with one general task for all of them, or to line up in order, with slightly different tasks within the general objective.
            In general that's why I advise caution, there's a lot to learn about this game for all of us, watching a few turns play out well help..

DoD did mention stacking penalties somewhere above if a multitude of divisions in the same square,

from playing hex based games in the past I've learned the *sequence* of attack may also be important, as some units have sort of rock-paper-scissor relation to them...

Obviously frontage matters in military operations, just don't know how the game replicates that.

Comment

I've played some war games before, but not for some years now. By all means, let's not stand on ceremony. If you have any useful "suggestions" re the panzer group, pls post or pm. I joined for fun, but if I can learn something, even better!

Gil
              "We have no white flag."

Comment

Get back in your tank general, we're on the eve of the greatest offensive in the history of warfare, this not the time to resign your command.

j/k - I assigned positions rather at random, since they're only three of us it shouldn't really matter much, most moves will be discussed and agreed upon,

You guys are free to switch places obviously, but I don't think it'll make much of a difference...

DoD has accepted our general battle plan as previously discussed, so I think we're good to go - you're free to micromanage your troops beyond my orders though, see also Michele's PM I hopefully forwarded

I'll be back on Monday.
                Yes sir!
                "We have no white flag."

Comment

Originally posted by GMan88 View Post
                  I've played some war games before, but not for some years now. By all means, let's not stand on ceremony. If you have any useful "suggestions" re the panzer group, pls post or pm. I joined for fun, but if I can learn something, even better!

Gil
                  I have no great insights, what I'd suggest - but it's certainly something you have thought of, yourself - is not to open the fight with your panzer and motorized infantry divisions. They should be treasured and best employed where the enemy is not (i.e., for outflanking maneuvers and dashes in the rear areas) than to pry open the enemy line. Use the infantry divisions to do so, especially now on the first turn when the panzer have not already outdistanced them.

The 269. is not placed ideally to work as a quick tin opener. I don't know where the other ID of the PzG is, hopefully it's stacked under the Totenkopf or the 8. PD. Wherever it is, it should be within reach of the enemy HQ, dangerously deployed forward. I'd use that division, the 290., for this initial breakthrough. One additional reason why it's ideally suited for use right now is that as a 8. Welle division, it comes with no recon battalion (again, assuming the game knows this). Right now, we know pretty much what's lined up along the border, later on, we'll want recon assets ahead.

Since the 18. Armee is under orders from Feldmarschall Snowygerry to attack along the whole front, but not necessarily to break through, that leaves to your PzG to open the hole you need, so that pretty much means that infantry division, IMHO. As a bonus, you might behead the enemy as you go in, overrunning the HQ. Your mobile assets may then move through and advance rapidly.

While I'm in lecture mode, let me tell you to look up the tanks of those three PDs. They are each one-of-a-kind outfits, and the game might be aware of that, both in terms of combat strength (we don't see all their numbers) and in terms of logistics. For instance, I'd employ the Pz 35(t)s as soon as necessary, because later on they are more likely to break down on you just for moving ahead too quickly. That would mean committing firstly the 6. PD. Unless you think otherwise, naturally.

Hope this helps.
                  Michele

Comment

In general that's why I advise caution, there's a lot to learn about this game for all of us, watching a few turns play out well help..

DoD did mention stacking penalties somewhere above if a multitude of divisions in the same square,

from playing hex based games in the past I've learned the *sequence* of attack may also be important, as some units have sort of rock-paper-scissor relation to them...

Obviously frontage matters in military operations, just don't know how the game replicates that.
                    Simply put, a failed attack is a bad thing because previous attacking units still count for the "stack" engaging them.

So for instance if you attack a unit with enough units to use up your 200 frontage, the next division to attack would push the frontage to, say, 240, meaning it would get a negative bonus.

In this game, better to attack once with overwhelming force to secure the win and waste some AP than risk a loss.

Comment

While I'm in lecture mode, let me tell you to look up the tanks of those three PDs. They are each one-of-a-kind outfits, and the game might be aware of that, both in terms of combat strength (we don't see all their numbers) and in terms of logistics. For instance, I'd employ the Pz 35(t)s as soon as necessary, because later on they are more likely to break down on you just for moving ahead too quickly. That would mean committing firstly the 6. PD. Unless you think otherwise, naturally.

Hope this helps.
                      I have an old Command Magazine game called Proud Monster that covers this same campaign. It has different ratings for PDs, and it also included markers for all the units down to Brigade level, and some independent Regiments, even the Stug Battaltions were included.
                      That meant nearly 900 markers of all kinds, and it took about 2 weeks to play it out.
                      That's if you could do it ever day.

Maybe less complicated is better.

But I would like to ask, what DO those ratings numbers mean, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                        I have an old Command Magazine game called Proud Monster that covers this same campaign. It has different ratings for PDs, and it also included markers for all the units down to Brigade level, and some independent Regiments, even the Stug Battaltions were included.
                        That meant nearly 900 markers of all kinds, and it took about 2 weeks to play it out.
                        That's if you could do it ever day.

Maybe less complicated is better.

But I would like to ask, what DO those ratings numbers mean, exactly?
                        The number on the counter is a "power rating" and the manual describes it as "an abstract combat value that allows you to compare units on a roughly equivalent basis. It incorporates soft factors such as readiness, experience and morale." It will also vary within a turn (a units power rating is highest before it attacks and moves and things get disorganized), but it also regains at the end of each turn somewhat.

In this game, almost every unit of the same "type" will have identical stats, and that's because each unit is composed of a number of smaller components (companies of "German Infantry", batteries of "German 50mm AT Guns", "German Trucks", etc.).

So all infantry divisions with the same components will fare equally well - and a division severely depleted with no AT guns left will be ****-poor against Soviet armor.

Now, there are modifiers to this - fatigue, experience, morale - which are still generally universal for most units at start and are more dependent on what happens during the game. A unit with lots of victories and few losses will be far more accomplished than a unit full of replacements after disastrous battlefield accomplishments.

Most of these can be offset by the ability to rest and refit your divisions, however. While replacements are not always ensured, a good week behind the lines can be a godsend to a hard-worn division.

Now, there are other modifiers that can affect some divisions. For instance, being in a Blitzkrieg Posture gives you +50% Offensive, - 25% Defensive, and (for mechanized/motorized units) +40 AP. That is a huge bonus.

There are also modifiers which are established by the game and outside your decision: the division with the Grossdeutchland Regiment attached to it (the 10. Panzer in this game) has +15% Offensive and +15% Defensive added to it as well - and this does stack with other bonuses.

When it comes to enemy units, are information will be far more sketchy. The only data that we will see regularly and that truly matters are Integrity, Readiness, and Morale. This will be visible on the counter by the color of the "bar" on the icon - as that bar goes red and shrinks down, the less combat capable the division is.

Next turn, I'll post a longer video that will go down every unit on the front (just clicking on them to rotate through the one on top) so you'll get a quick view of the front so you can see what opposition you face.

Comment

I have no great insights, what I'd suggest - but it's certainly something you have thought of, yourself - is not to open the fight with your panzer and motorized infantry divisions. They should be treasured and best employed where the enemy is not (i.e., for outflanking maneuvers and dashes in the rear areas) than to pry open the enemy line. Use the infantry divisions to do so, especially now on the first turn when the panzer have not already outdistanced them.

The 269. is not placed ideally to work as a quick tin opener. I don't know where the other ID of the PzG is, hopefully it's stacked under the Totenkopf or the 8. PD. Wherever it is, it should be within reach of the enemy HQ, dangerously deployed forward. I'd use that division, the 290., for this initial breakthrough. One additional reason why it's ideally suited for use right now is that as a 8. Welle division, it comes with no recon battalion (again, assuming the game knows this). Right now, we know pretty much what's lined up along the border, later on, we'll want recon assets ahead.

Since the 18. Armee is under orders from Feldmarschall Snowygerry to attack along the whole front, but not necessarily to break through, that leaves to your PzG to open the hole you need, so that pretty much means that infantry division, IMHO. As a bonus, you might behead the enemy as you go in, overrunning the HQ. Your mobile assets may then move through and advance rapidly.

Hope this helps.
                          Oh, it indeed helps add to my sadly lacking knowledge, and no, I hadn't thought of what you've written. Thanks!

DoD, if what Michele has written are noted in the game, pls treat his words as if mine. All credits go to him though
                          "We have no white flag."

Comment

I would like to play but I've never played a war game before..

Comment

We have Armies not assigned as yet. Sooner or later, someone will get the Romanians! Which Army appeals to you?

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I can look at a relatively minor role.
                                Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X