The Japanese Army vs. ISIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, here it is, TO&E for better or worse

I know I'm still not where they told me I should be for manpower and the rest, but I'm done trying to build this thing up and tweak is and whatever.
    No coolies, no comfort girls, none of the rest of it, lets just go with this-

The Japanese Strengthened Infantry Division

Divisional Troops
    Divisional Headquarters (300) 40 vehicles, 100 horses
    Divisional Signals Unit (250) 30 vehicles, 200 horses

Cavalry//Motorised Reconnaissance Regiment (900)
    HQ, 30 trucks/cars/MC. (190)
    Ist Company; 20 x Type 95 light tanks, 10 other vehicles (100)
    2nd Company; 95 Vehicles (motorcycles & Kurogane cars) (220)
    3rd Company; s.a.a
    4th Company; Cavalry- 300 horses, (270)

Tank Battalion
    - (900)
    - 48 x Type 97 Tanks
    HQ; 3 x tanks, 1 x Type 1 Ho-Ha halftrack, 44 trucks, 4x motorcycle w/sidecar
    A Company; 15 tanks
    B Company; 15 tanks
    C Company; 15 tanks
    —Attached;
    4 x 105mm SP, Ho-Ni II *
    4 x type 88, 75mm AA, 2 HMG, 6 tractors, 24 vehicles, 225 men
    6 x 25mm AAA, 6 x 13mm AA MG
    9 x 90mm mortars, 3 x LMG, 29 vehicles, 205 men
    PLUS-
    3rd Infantry Battalion, 34th Regiment (not Str.)
    1,100 men, 115 vehicles (many pinched from Recon, one Recon company left on horses, and other sources)
    The ONLY Standard Infantry Battalion
    Battalion Headquarters (3 Officers, 34 men)
    Battalion Train (4 Officers, 106 men)
    Gun Platoon (1 Officer, 54 men) 2 x 70mm
    Machine Gun Company*(4 Officers, 170 men) 12 x MG
    Company Headquarters (1 Officer, 13 men)
    Three Machine Gun Platoons, each (1 Officer, 45 men)
    Ammunition Platoon (22 men)
    Four Rifle Companies (4 Officers, 177 men), each comprised of;
    Company Headquarters (1 Officer, 18 men)
    Three Rifle Platoons, each
    Platoon Headquarters (1 Officer, 1 man)
    Grenade Discharger Squad (13 men)
    Three Rifle Squads, each comprised of 13 men
    Total Strength of 1100 all ranks (28 Officers and 1072 men)

The elements of the Battalion
    Battalion Headquarters - the Japanese Battalion was typically commanded by a Major, assisted by a Captain, who was responsible for ordnance and chemical warfare duties, and a Lieutenant as Adjutant.* Headquarters included a number of senior NCOs, plus messengers who undertook the usual communications required without benefit of radios.
    Battalion Gun Platoon - served two Type 92, 70-mm infantry guns, which provided the Battalion with its own organic artillery.*
    Machine Gun Platoon - the Machine Gun Company served the standard Japanese medium machine gun, the Type 92.*
    At full strength, the Company had twelve guns, deployed in three Platoons of four guns each.*
    Ammunition Platoon - consisted of an NCO and twenty one men, probably split into three Squads of seven, sufficient for one Squad per Machine Gun Platoon.**When the Machine Gun Company operated eight guns rather than twelve, as mentioned above, the Platoon may have been expanded or served in a more general role within the Battalion.

Infantry Group

Three Infantry Regiments, each comprised of;
    Regimental Headquarters & Train
    1,000 horses 2 x Tankettes
    Regimental Signals Company
    Pioneer Company
    -Regimental Gun Battalion - with six75-mm guns in three Platoons of two guns each.
    —Attached units;
    9 x 90mm Mortars, 29 vehicles, 205 men
    2 x 75mm AAA, 1 x HMG, 2 tractors, 12 x vehicles, 100 men
    4 x 25mm AAA, 4 x 13mm AA

Infantry Battalions -

The Strengthened Infantry Battalion
    Battalion Headquarters (3 Officers, 87 men)
    Battalion Train (4 Officers, 191 all ranks)
    -Machine Gun Company*(1 Officer, 74 men) 8 x HMG
    Company Headquarters (1 Officer, 14 men)
    Four Machine Gun Sections, each (15 men)
    -Infantry Gun Company (1 Officer, 119 men) 4 x 70mm
    Company Headquarters (1 Officer, 29 men)
    Four Sections, each (15 men)
    Ammunition Section (30 men)
    -Anti-tank Company (1 Officer, 99 men) 4 x 47mm
    Company Headquarters (1 Officer, 9 men)
    Four Sections, each (19 men)
    Ammunition Section (14 men)
    --Four Rifle Companies (6 Officers, 254 men), each comprised of;
    Company Headquarters (1 Officer, 28 men)
    Machine Gun Platoon (1 Officer, 23 men) 2 x HMG
    20-mm Cannon Platoon (1 Officer, 23 men)2 x 20mm
    Ammunition Platoon (16 men)
    ---Three Rifle Platoons, each
    Platoon Headquarters (1 Officer, 1 man)
    Grenade Discharger Squad (15 men)
    Three Rifle Squads, each comprised of 13 men (1 x LMG, 11 rifles)
    Total Strength of 1620 all ranks ( Officers and* men)

Points of note
    There is no breakdown given for the subunits of the Machine Gun Company, the figures in italics are my suggested estimates.* To call this unit a Battalion is somewhat of an understatement as it is easily twice the size of the average Allied Battalion.
    The elements of the Battalion
    Machine Gun Company - each Section had one 7.7-mm heavy machine gun, supported by a fifth Ammunition Section.
    Infantry Gun Company - each Section had one 70-mm infantry gun, supported by a fifth Ammunition Section.
    Anti-tank Company - each Section had one 37-mm or 47-mm anti-tank gun, supported by fifth Ammunition Section.
    Rifle Company - along with the increased Battalion firepower the Rifle Companies also received their own support weapons.* The Machine Gun Platoon had two 7.7-mm guns and the Cannon Platoon two 20-mm anti-tank rifles.

I will be keeping track of casualties and changes under this format-

• 6th Infantry Regiment
    1st Battalion
    2nd Battalion
    3rd Battalion

• 34th Infantry Regiment
    1st Battalion
    2nd Battalion
    3rd Battalion (is with the armored group)

• 68th Infantry Regiment
    1st Battalion
    2nd Battalion
    3rd Battalion

Field Artillery Group
    Group Headquarters, commanding;
    Medium Artillery Battalion - with twelve towed 150-mm howitzers, divided into three Batteries with four guns per Battery. 50 trucks, 15 tractors

Field Artillery Regiment (2300) 100 vehicles, 600 horses
    Regimental Headquarters & Train
    Two Battalions – each with four towed 75-mm guns and eight towed 105-mm howitzers, divided into three Batteries with four guns per Battery.
    *One 105mm battery transferred to the Tank group, the SPs.
    1st battalion; 4 x type 90 75mm guns, 4 x Type 92 long-range 105mm
    2nd Battalion; 4 x Type 90 75mm, 8 x Type 91 105mm How

Engineer Regiment (900 men)
    Regimental Headquarters (85)
    Three Engineer Companies-
    A Co,; Bridging & boats. (3 Type 99 Pontoon Bridges, 21 trucks)
    -Exactly half the size of a unit that would support a Tank Division-
    (110 men)
    B Co; Standard, 8 x flamethrowers, 28 vehicles
    (220)
    C Co; Standard, 8 x flamethrowers, 300 horses
    (220)
    Material Company
    (265)

Transport Regiment (1800)
    Regimental Headquarters
    Four Horse Companies, 2,000 horses
    Three Motor Companies, 300 trucks
    Armoured Car Company (7 x Sumida)

Medical Battalion
    Five Field Hospitals (1250) 75 vehicles/800 horses
    (the mechanized one is assigned to the tank unit)
    Water Purification Unit (120) 18 trucks

-Ordnance Detachment (50) 30 trucks, 40 horses
    -Veterinary Detachment (50) 100 horses
    -Decontamination Unit (60?) 20 x trucks

Tanks — 75 (includes tankettes)
    Trucks— 1,125
    Horses—7150
    Men- 23,660
    Last edited by The Exorcist; 01 Jan 16, 12:07.

Comment

1st day

Azwya City rarely makes the news, but it is known to people in that part of the world. It is ISIS-controled and has been for some time. It is important because it is the only link they have with ISIS territory east of the Tigris River, what there is of it. The Hawija area is of some importance because ISIS's presence is the result of a popular uprising, rather than the usual thing. It was also the site of the US-assisted raid that freed 70 hostages a few months ago.

Azwya "City" is now endangered from the south. The key Oil center called Baiji 15 miles to the south fell to the Iraqi Army at the end of November, making this a front-line City (even if it is barely worthy of the name)... but for these reasons, its defenders must be looking to the south, not due north.

I will assume that turns run from midnight to midnight.
      The attack begins when this turn is just an hour old.

There is a ferry site north of Azwya, and just a little east is a rickety pontoon bridge that looks as if it could be re-assembled as quickly as Jet Bombers can blow it apart again. This is where 1st contact is made.
      Kurds would be expected to attack from the north, but instead of raiding Al-Zab , a much more exposed place, these attackers have struck at Azwya. And instead of hundreds, there are thousands of them. They even brought a pontoon bridge of their own.
      These people also don't act like Kurds. They start with quiet probes and have good fire discipline, covering their moves with MG and artillery fire. Fragmented reports coming out of that down might make it seem that the local ISIS men may have dipped too deeply into their Hashish. The invaders seem small, their vehicles are small, even their strange little tanks seem too tiny to be real.
      The attack is pursued with the utmost ferocity.

Even after Dawn, the crossing continues-
      - and once Azwya has fallen, probes and harassing fire start to hit Al Zab.

During the day, there are other probes to the north as far as Al Qayyarah. Raiding parties have made it across the river and are moving about as far west as the main north-south Highway... on horseback.
      Should one of these little groups be cornered, they go to ground,use their horses for cover, and respond with sparse yet very accurate rifle fire. They cannot be induced to surrender by any means.

Asiatic men, horses, the ferocity, it is as if the Mongols had returned.

((an actual picture of this very Division going into action))
      Last edited by The Exorcist; 01 Jan 16, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        Turn the Tankettes into Mortar Carriers.....take the turrets off, a flat bit of steel as a crude shield for the front, angle it to 45deg, and mount a mortar on the back, with a pintle for an MG to be operated by the crew in a pinch. Keep them out of heavy fighting and deploy them as pairs to the Infantry Battalions to suppress ISIS positions on the attack.
        This would make sense in an extended campaign, but we're looking for 4 weeks. Not really enough room to take them out of service and set up the workshop for such activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemon of Decay View Post
          This would make sense in an extended campaign, but we're looking for 4 weeks. Not really enough room to take them out of service and set up the workshop for such activity.
          Agreed. We are both talking about tens of thousands of men and machines, lets not go crazy here. Knowing what the capabilities of our equipment is enough for me.

You wanna toss out a counter-move? I've got more narrative and orders & stuff burning a hole in my virtual pocket.

Comment

I don't want to just let this die, not again.
            I'm just going to push forward, and since this is technically part of the later end of Day 1, why not?

But it does reveal a lot that the ISIS side could use against me, so ...

At sunset a task force approaches a different part of the Tigris River. South of the little village of Hammam, there is an inviting stretch of river for a pontoon operation that will involve a pair of bridges for the crossing of the Mechanized group. This area is little more than ten miles south of the outskirts of Mosul.

The Japanese did have some engineering vehicles, limited numbers and limited ability, but they did have them-

That "Wiking" symbol on the side was to denote that particular vehicle, not an indication of a German machine.

Their orders are to probe the city from the south to cause panic, mostly using mortar fire, and not get ensnared in costly street-fights.
            ENEMY tanks- a tactic to deal with enemy heavy tanks is what I will call Running Serpent. On sighting one of these Giant tanks (does not matter what kind) a platoon of the Mediums will abandon the infantry and go high-speed to run in a column around and around the target tank. They will fire into that tank from all angles with AP and HE, mainly a psychological attack on the crew, and to buy time. Time for a pair of the Ho-Ni to arrive and kill it with their 105’s, hopefully at close range with their first shots.
            The AAA that comes with the Tanks will be split up to form roadblock over-watches on the main roads leading west and south of Mosul…. meaning the most likely direction from which there may be reinforcements coming from, including the way we just came also.
            The Recon company that comes with them will do what Recon does; show them the way in and then race around causing havoc, bouncing off real resistance and trying to scare everyone in sight. The Train station and any rolling stock will be of particular interest to them… hey, its 1943 Japanese here, they have a high regard for that sort of thing.

The forces hitting Mosul from the south are to be opportunists, do what they can, but their real mission is simply to kill anyone that tries to get in OR out of the City before it surrenders to us.

MOSUL
            The main body of the Division has half a night, a day, and half of another night to approach the City from the north as stealthily as possible, and get as close as they can without giving anything away. Mainly it happens at night, but the terrain will be scanned as thoroughly as possible ahead of time.
            The Divisional artillery available to support this is 4 x 75mm, 8 x 105mm and 12x 150mm, and of course everything that both the 6th and 68th Regiment have, but the Division Arty will be sited to support the attack from the start and won’t be moving into the city, unlike the rest.
            There will be no prep-fire.

One Company of Engineers and the Regimental Pioneer companies will lead the way across the approaches to the city to deal with mines and other obstacles.

At about 3am on the 2nd night, infantry will approach carefully and quietly, right to the outer edge of the city and INTO IT without making any noise, if possible. It is expected that in some neighborhoods there will be hard resistance, and in some others there will be nothing major. Where serious resistance is met signals will be sent, the enemy positions will be illuminated with flares and the Artillery will deliver a short, sharp barrage lasting a set number of minutes and the Infantry goes in again.
            Battalions will be given set zones of the city to operate in, leading to bridges over the Tigris. They are not to deviate from them while it is still dark to eliminate friendly-fire incidents.

There will be no mercy or even reason to talk to any enemy soldiers, but Mosul is an occupied city and (unlike Azwya) there will be no “4-alls” here. What we want most of all is a good haul of equipment. That is priority one, so we go light with fire and try to maximize the inherent dash of the IJA in the assault.

About Mosul; it was a city of over 2 million people before ISIS arrived, it might be half that now. Its not large, 8 miles long and about 6 wide with few hills or other notable features aside from the river and half a dozen bridges. ISIS instituted an “exit tax” because they were unable to prevent people from leaving… unlike other towns and cities under their control.
            It is still the biggest city under ISIS, I have to hit it when I am at my peak, so that’s the plan. If nearly 15,000 fresh troops can’t do the job, and do it quickly, this is over anyway. I am confident, ISIS only needed a couple of days to take it themselves, and I set up a distraction to the south ahead of time.

Guess who's coming to Dinner...

Comment

"Here we commmme...."

Comment

.... walkin' down the street.

Bump

Comment

Get the funniest looks from...

Bump

Comment

The type 100 artillery observation vehicle-

Comment

Not all of the IJA vehicles were all that formidable, but they could be handy -

Comment

Don't forget the IJA is going to be looking to capture both weapons and vehicles...
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Bwaha View Post
                          Don't forget the IJA is going to be looking to capture both weapons and vehicles...
                          Imagine what could have been... had this game ever come to be.

But hey, it wasn't all junk!

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

I might as well use up some of the pics I have-

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X