Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Ok, after only a few days, Crusades is a solid frontrunner, with a 2 point lead that has pretty much been maintained and extended since the poll started.

If this trend continues, I'm anticipating Crusades being first, followed by Modern. I have developed some ideas for modern, but Crusades is farther along and I think will be something I can roll out within the next month to commemorate the new games section in the forums. I've got chapter one mostly worked out, and we'll see what else is going there.

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    A terrifying possibility is having the same Chars slip back and forth between the two time-frames in the same place.
    But then the language barrier gets in the way, among other things.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    One possibility I'm bandying about is doing BOTH a modern and crusade RPG. I'd be figuring doing a mid-week update for one, and a weekend update for the other, with the players doing everything in the middle with my NPC available for questions.

If you like that idea, let me know. Considering the size of the Sci-Fi game, I think that I can handle 2 games that don't include more than about 40 people maximum between both of them....and half of those would be retinue NPCs.....

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    My biggest fear running an RPG is letting the economics kill the gameplay. The Sci-Fi game has taught me a lot about what I need to have hard rules on and what I can play fast and loose with and keep it fair and fun. That's my goal in whatever RPG we do. The scale of a Crusades RPG is such that unless I directly tie all players to a lord that provides for them, I'm pretty much stuck having some economics.

A modern one set in Africa can have little or no economics involved, since if it's in civil war the economy will be screwed anyway, and the player choices will rarely include a shopping spree at Wal-Mart.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    That's likely what I'd do Pruitt - but while you can sell your lands for cash, asking around for funds likely will have limited success unless you have something else people want to buy.
    Sounds like we don't get enough to live on and equip a few guys. Maybe if one asks the local Archbishop to donate a few shekels he will be interested. Also, not everyone can go and might donate to someone they know. I just don't want to end up running out of funds by Venice again!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Generally speaking, one might expect that they can produce enough funds to handsomely equip themselves. That is the standard of the time for Knights after all. However, paying for food and anyone outside of yourself will likely require some funding from other sources than your income. Unless you want to be lightly equipped and have the cash instead......

Leave a comment:

• Khryses
    replied
    That's likely what I'd do Pruitt - but while you can sell your lands for cash, asking around for funds likely will have limited success unless you have something else people want to buy.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    In the Crusade scenario, can you mix your retainers? I am considering a couple of my own men and as many followers as I can afford. Can you sell your lands and ask around for funds?

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Now as far as the two front runners go, I'll use the winner, and number 2 will be held for another RPG. But remember, my vote doesn't count, so they're actually within 1-2 of each other right now, and there is quite some time before we start an RPG....I figure a few weeks.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    The way I'm figuring it, here's a rough idea of how the retainers will work. You can get them one of three ways.

1) Followers. These guys/gals have not sworn fealty to you, and do not have to follow your orders. They are less wealthy that have chosen to follow you on the Crusade.....mistreat them and they'll leave you. These will cost 1/3 to equip as they provide some of their own.

2) If you choose to swear fealty to another lord and follow his commands, he might give you a couple of squires or pages to help you. These will cost 1/2 to equip as the lord provides half.

3) You can equip your own men, in which case they'll cost the full cost of gear, but won't leave you and will follow your commands.

Additionally, you may raise money by selling your lands (you won't have much), by swearing fealty to a lord, by using your lands income alone (everyone will have a small fixed starting amount), by asking others back home to fund you, or by taking a vow of poverty (free upkeep wherever there's a monastery, but almost all loot goes to the Church).

Leave a comment:

• The Exorcist
    replied
    Originally posted by andrewza View Post
    I would like a modern one set in Africa. There are so few modern RPs.
    Me too, but it looks like its going the Crusader route.

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
    Maybe this time we can start in Constantinople for the first Crusade? If we start there, we might make it to Syria!

Pruitt
    Not a bad idea, but what I would really like is one that finishes when we are all dead. Typically, with ten of us involved, there might still be 2 of us left when we get to Jerusalem.

I would want to max-out on retainers, they can be handy.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Maybe this time we can start in Constantinople for the first Crusade? If we start there, we might make it to Syria!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Senorankka
    replied
    Voted both for both Crusades and Modern (multi choice poll). I personally feel Modern could be refreshingly interesting compared to normal sword and shield RPGs that pop up like mushrooms after rain. Action in Africa would also be surprisingly fun as I believe we all like the old bush wars for that maximum operating. A well rounded bunch of players with interesting, but not Mary Sue PCs (may they burn in seven hells).

Crusades one would probably be the first time we actually arrive to Holy Land (not counting that amphibious landing), so also a refreshing chance to old.

Leave a comment:

• TacCovert4
    replied
    Ok, a couple of days in, and it looks like it's going to be between Crusades and Modern.

To expound on both a bit further:

Crusades--Each Player will play the role of a member of the Knightly class. Based on factors and their choices, players could operate solo, or with as many as 4 retainers of various types. Being of the knightly class, players can own horses, and can also have liege servants, which will be modeled, along with possible fealty to other feudal lords. The players will go from a rendezvous point in Europe somewhere to the Holy Land, and in general follow a route of the 1st Crusade, though there might be some variation on this.

Modern--Each player will be a single person, no retinue or additional players outside of NPCs. The players will be from varying backgrounds, without piles of SAS or Rangers or Marines etc......and be thrust into a dangerous situation, possibly in the Sudan, Mali, or Angola.......how they survive, or if they survive, is up to you.

Leave a comment:

• Snowygerry
    replied
    I joined the crusade three times now I think, never made it past Venice -

Once we even stranded in Germany on account of one of my fellow crusaders insisting on besieging a particular stubbornly defended castle.

Great fun each time though

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X