Interest Thread- Krateros' Western Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interest Thread- Krateros' Western Journey

Hello everyone. I've been doing alot of work on another wargame, and you may have already predicted it will be in an ancient setting. I've been bouncing ideas off of Tac and Khryses, but I wanted to gauge the interest for the game before finishing anything.

The game will be set in 323 BC. Alexander does not die from any sort of illness, and he invades Arabia as planned. However, he sends his marshal Krateros with a picked army march to invade Africa. Krateros' task is to conquer and obtain the submission and tribute of all of Africa if possible. Krateros will take the best of the best with him. He will pick from any mercenaries or soldiers of the empire except for the Companion cavalry of Alexander. Silver shields, Thessalians, Thracians, Sakae, Skythian horse archers, Greek hoplites, Indian Elephants, Cretan archers, or even Indian longbowmen. 25,000 men will march with Krateros, and no reinforcements will follow. More troops will only come in the form of local mercenaries bought with loot or allies aubmitting to the Argead Empire. Many obstacles stand in the way of the general of the Argead Empire. The mighty Greek city state Kyrene is the first in the path of the conqueror's path. It's mighty walls guarded by heavily armed hoplites, and its harbor protected by many Greek warships is a formidable opponent. Much farther ahead lies the fabled Carthage. A giant trading city with a formidable navy and the wealth to hire hordes of barbarians to protect her citizens. Numerous tribes of Libyans, Numidians, pirates, and bandits also populate Northern Africa. Krateros and his host are mighty, but few claim to know the outcome of this campaign.

Basically Krateros versus everything else, backed with an elite army. Carthage will be able to hire large numbers of mercenaries to combat the quality that Krateros has. Despite the smallest of the major powers, Kyrene is definitely a major factor in game too.

Playable Factions-

Major-

Krateros

Kyrene

Carthage

Minor-

Pirate captains
    Bandit leaders
    Numidian chieftains
    Libyan chieftains
    Mercenary Commanders

Once the main three spots are filled we have an unlimited number of minor roles available. Everyone can feel free to have subcommanders as well.
    Yes
    100.00%
    No
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

First Counsul Maleketh of Jonov

The game now has it's own subforum here.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Will Krateros be supported by a Navy? To march across North Africa he will need ships bringing in Forage and water for his elephants and draft animals. The Fleets of Egypt, Cyprus and the Aegean Greek City States should be available. Ships would also bring in rations, lumber and parts to build siege equipment.

Would Persian Engineers also be available? There is a reason the Persians took all those fortified cities!

What role is Delenda doing in all this?

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Krateros will have a fleet that was historically being built in Cilicia around this time. It will be a largish warfleet, but not too large.

Greek engineers are a bit more famous and will be available.

I'm the game creator and it's moderator.

Comment

So the Phoenecian Fleet (Tyre, Sidon, Byblos and other Levantine states) won't be here either I guess? Like I said in my first post this force will need a lot of trade ships to supply them.

Whoever takes Krateros will get his choice of units? I think it will be a great battle when Scythians and Sakae run into Numidian Light Horse! Would Galatian Cavalry, Hellenic Cataphracts and Thessalian Heavy Cavalry also be available? Galatian Heavy Spearmen would be an interesting mix with Uazali and Rhomphaiphoroi and Hypaspistae.

What size units can you choose?

Pruitt
          Last edited by Pruitt; 11 Aug 15, 01:22.

Comment

This is just an interest thread. All these specific questions will wait till I run the game.

Comment

Will Carthage get Celt-Iberian Mercenaries? I might go for Carthage.

Pruitt

Comment

Yes it will have access to any mercenaries it had access to historically. Anyway, hold most game questions till I launch a game thread.

Comment

I need everyone voting yes to also post in hear so I know who you are.

Comment

Poll is Public Del, names are visible.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I cannot read any of the names.

Comment

Click on the number "5" - or whatever it's up to now.
                        Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

I'll give this some more time, 1-2 days before posting a claims thread.

Comment

I voted yes.

Pruitt

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X