Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khryses
    replied
    It looks like we're down to the Russian Civil War or the 30 Years' War, but I'd like an option to be at least two ahead of the others before I call it conclusive.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    Originally posted by Khryses View Post
    Might need a change of sub header too, now that the Magazine is no longer being published?

Happy to make the transfer, but not sure any of the above would qualify as "being drawn from the magazine".
    Well since Armchair General no longer exists as a magazine, the last issue was in May, it's now the forum name. No need to tie anything to the mag. We are all Armchair Generals.

But - if you have an idea for a title, feel free to suggest it.

Leave a comment:

• Khryses
    replied
    Might need a change of sub header too, now that the Magazine is no longer being published?

Happy to make the transfer, but not sure any of the above would qualify as "being drawn from the magazine".

Leave a comment:

• Duncan
    replied
    In the Best Games in History section the Armchair General Games has been promoted from category to forum. I am hoping that people will use this section to play forum games in. It will make them easy to find. This forum here will likely end up in the archive soon. Feel free to PM me when things need a sticky.

Yeah yeah, it needs a little avatar thingy. I have to figure out how to do that.

Leave a comment:

• T. A. Gardner
    replied
    ACW is over done. The Russian Civil War would be neat, particularly if you include a choice of smaller and foreign participants.

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    Nikkie, there are lots of Battlefields in Louisiana and a few in Texas! There is a huge cemetery in Baton Rouge that was there in the ACW. Picture Confederates attacking Union troops through the cemetery in a fog! There is a highway named US 90 that travels through South Louisiana from roughly New Orleans through Morgan City up to Lafayette. There must have been at least a dozen battles fought along this line. We even had a Union Gunboat go up the Calcasieu River to Lake Charles. The Captain was looking for blockade runners! He just pointed his cannon at the village and said: "Bring me Cattle, Hogs Chickens and other food items!" They were brought to him!

There are lots of Civil War battle sites down here! The problem is many are built over!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Nikkie
    replied
    I like the American Civil War - Battle of Gettysburg. I'm four hours from there!
    Nikkie

Leave a comment:

• GMan88
    replied
    My preference is the 30 year war, and I hope to learn more about it.

Leave a comment:

• Colonel Sennef
    replied
    I have a slight preference for a pike and shot game
    but would gladly join any game you chose to organise, Khryses.

Great initiative

Leave a comment:

• Pruitt
    replied
    The Red River Campaign, of course! Most posters can do better than Banks! Kirby Smith can certainly be improved on as well!

Pruitt

Leave a comment:

• Jean_Lannes
    replied
    I picked the Russian Civil War because I've studied Imperial Russian history and I'd really like to turn the White Army around.

Leave a comment:

• Ulrih
    replied
    Waterloo campaign!!!

Also as noted I`m interested also in Grunwald, 30 years war and Franco-Prussian conflict.

Leave a comment:

• Khryses
    started a poll Tactical Wargame Pre-Interest Check

Tactical Wargame Pre-Interest Check

Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War Grunwald Battle
    9.43%
    30 Years War Swedish Intervention Tree Campaign
    16.98%
    Napoleonic War Waterloo Tree Campaign
    13.21%
    American Civil War Western / Red River Tree Campaign
    9.43%
    American Civil War Gettysburg Battle
    9.43%
    Franco-Prussian War Historically Plausible Battle (Metz-Sedan area)
    11.32%
    Russian Civil War Single Theatre Tree Campaign
    20.75%
    World War 2 Battle of Britain Strategic Air Campaign
    9.43%
    Hi Team,

I've been bouncing some ideas off the long-suffering TacCovert4, Delenda est Roma and others in the past few weeks as ongoing exposure to Tac's Sci Fi Mercenaries game got the old creative fires burning once more. Everything in this list is something I'm already at least interested in running someday, either online or off. In some cases I've already put some preparation in (ranging from confirmation I can source/produce the appropriate maps to exhaustive research and months-long preparation in different cases) but they're all in forms I can actually run online with my current limited scope of availability. In some cases that may only mean 1-2 updates per week, but that remains doable.

Before I actually put the legwork into bringing one of these to the metaphorical table for you fine ladies and gentlemen though, I'm reaching out to see how many of you are interested in what exactly. With any luck I remember how to set my poll to check-box, so you should be able to select as many as you're actually interested in playing if they're made. I have my own ideas for each of them on what would be a minimal player amount, and I'll put in the extra hours assembling a game and system around the option with the most votes, so long as it's playable with that many.

Clear so far?

For the record, I'm moving away from formats which allow the unbridled creativity of some of my past games (and indeed Tac's current one) toward one or more battles with forces already on or approaching the field in each case. In the past it's the unbridled creativity that's been the biggest time-sink to handle as the assembled creativity of a dozen of Armchair's finest rapidly strains the resources of their hapless GM in reaching for a timely update. Besides, the battles tend to be a lot of fun to implement, and so long as we assume that building and arming these forces falls under the province of other minds elsewhere (or at least outside the scope of the campaign) each battle can stand alone - or in campaigns, determine where and what the next scenario will be, with the help of some decision making by the commanders of each side.

The choices are up the top (or if not, you're very quick off the ball and I've just posted this! Come back in 2-3 min and they'll be there), but I'll add a few lines about what they all are below. Still light, but a few pointers on how I see it running.

1410 - Polish-Lithuanian-Teutonic War - Battle of Grunwald

Players take commands and banners on both sides of a dramatic showdown that historically sealed the fate of the Teutonic Order as a North European power and secured the ascendancy of the Polish-Lithuanian Union as the dominant power in the region for centuries to come.

1630+ - Thirty Years' War - Swedish Intervention Tree Campaign

Players take commands on both sides of this phase of the conflict tearing apart the heartland of the Holy Roman Empire in one of the bloodiest phases of the Wars of the Reformation, following the landing of Gustavus Adolphus' Swedish Army in Pomerania.

1815 - Napoleonic Wars - Waterloo Tree Campaign

Emphatically not a 4-updates per hour open map simulation in the model of the late great allsirgarnet's design, players in command roles on each of the three sides make decisions off-camera that determine where each engagement will take place and the forces involved. Those battles are worked out independently in the classic style with multiple (hopefully) commanders on the field issuing orders to the forces under their commands, and possible follow-on battles leading to a campaign conclusion.

1861+ - American Civil War - Western / Red River Tree Campaign

Depending on the number of players involved I will look to model either the Western of Red River campaigns from the American Civil War. The first engagement will likely be historical (or historically plausible) but depending on the fortunes of war and the talents of the commanders will likely diverge increasingly from there as battle after battle works its way down my decision tree.

1863 - American Civil War - Battle of Gettysburg

The single battle version of the above, though stretched across as many as 4 days as Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia make their last and greatest play to decisively defeat the Army of the Potomac north of Washington DC. Players will take on roles from both sides, commanding elements of both armies as they arrive on the field.

1870 - Franco-Prussian War - Historically Plausible Battle (Metz-Sedan area)

Using the wonderful array of classic kriegsspiel maps of the area, players take commands from the First and Second Prussian Armies and the French Army of the Rhine as the Prussians attempt to force their way past the border defenses as part of their grand offensive.

1918+ - Russian Civil War - Single Theatre Ladder Campaign

Rather than attempting to capture the full scope of the years-long conflict, players will take commands from the Red and White armies in one of three fronts of European Russia. Will the Revolution triumph to spread around the world? Or will the forces of Imperial Russia put down the Bolshevik rabble and restore the Imperial family to the throne?

1940 - World War 2 - Battle of Britain Strategic Air Campaign

Players take on the command of the RAF Groups and Squadrons defending against the onslaught of the Luftwaffe attempting to clear the way for Operation Sealion (outside the scope of this simulation, not opening that can of worms again!). Owing to the sheer difference between German (Strategic) and British/Commonwealth (Tactical) choices, both sides run best at different play rates so I'd probably recruit an off-site Luftwaffe planning staff for sporadic involvement.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X