No announcement yet.

Chapter 3; The Mask is Strange,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"DukW? You mean those WW2 swimming cars, those things must be old by now, but yeah they could easly crry the cargo but I don't think they where ment for open ocean travel?"
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      Chris mulls: "Just two of the 14.5s. We'll need to have guns that can be hidden and put on when needed. And 4 of them is a bit much. If you can work out a way for us to move all the guns as legit cargo, we can build and test the mounts before we fly out and store the guns in the cargo bay as something else. The Strike team will also need to store their weapons, and I figure that'll mean at least 8-10 rifles, Sub-guns, and SAWs, not to mention magazines, grenades, comm gear, body armor, pistols, and other things that won't fly in Japan. Honestly, we either need a short layover someplace where we can mount two rocket pods and two HMGs, as well as pick up our gear, or a way to hide it so customs doesn't get wind. The MMGs aren't a problem, either way those can be mounted in flight. Only the heavier stuff needs a half-hour on the ground for sufficient groundcrew to do their thing."
      "Look here;" Damien quickly sketches out the tail of the Caribou. "I mentioned this just now; a 14.5 on a remote,powered mount that drops out of the bottom of that big tail. It will be hidden until you want it to be seen and used. I have the techies to do the work, and you would have the rear door gun you wanted. Somebody standing by the rear ramp with a joystick or one of those helmet-sights could control it. The rest, sure, it can be hidden under the flooring, or held at Gulp & Retch island."

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
      "Understood" Lori replies. "Mister Chris, the weapons problem can be solved simply by the Isotta carrying all the items you mentioned except the heavy machineguns. There is space in the cargo compartment for them.
      It is suggested that I, along with Dannon and Kasakabe go to Guleop-Ri and meet the flight there. That way we can set up runway markers and assist with securing the island. It will also keep the Isotta out of public sight.
      I would also suggest that any actions against Pyongyang be very carefully considered as the North Korean government is likely to react by mobilization of the military and a massive hunt for those causing the problem. A very serious attack could precipitate a war potentially. It will also alert their defense systems and make evading them much harder to do. It will likely also put the security forces at the target on alert with the rest of the country.
      With that in mind this operation should wait until our forces are headed out of the country. That will distract from the original assault and will also help confuse any response the North Koreans make. Of course, Mister Damien, this is your mission so you have to make the final decision on this."
      He sits back and considers a moment.
      "We could make plans to go either way with that. Maybe I should relinquish direct control over the scouting and divesion activity to the people who will actually be on the ground doing it."

Sushi looks up, and then winks at Luchaan. "Oh, I like him." she says, nodding at Damien.

Vondonna blazes. "And I can't wait to see you in the Dojo. Isn't that right, Kasakabe?"

Damien holds up a hand, "yes, later, standing room only I suspect. Dutch, how do you feel about leaving the torpedoes behind? The re-loads, anyway, since it looks like an encounter with enemy surface ships is not likely in any case. Its up to you, but the space for our hardware is at a premium all of a sudden."

"oh, and are we agreed on a more leisurely, open approach to the region?"

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
        "DukW? You mean those WW2 swimming cars, those things must be old by now, but yeah they could easly crry the cargo but I don't think they where ment for open ocean travel?"
        The ROK has a rep for keeping their gear in top condition, they still had Halftracks in good order in the 80s.
        And those swimming cars can do amazing things, one based on a Jeep crossed the Atlantic in the 1950s I think , but that was a stunt. The ones I am talking about are based on 2 1/2 ton trucks and might need a tow from you... if that's not too much of a problem. Look at the map again, you are less than 20 miles from the coast, and not that much farther from Inchon. There should be enough small boat traffic in the area for you to blend in, and you are so far from the Norks that its not a border security area, but just cloe enough that nobody will question the presence of a little patrol boat putting around."

Comment

"It should not be a problem to tow them and provide asstiance with the landing"
          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

"We can leave the reloads. If I need to reload the tubes it means we dead. And I belvie in the phrase run way to fight another day comes to mind"

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

"We can leave the reloads. If I need to reload the tubes it means we dead. And I belvie in the phrase run way to fight another day comes to mind"
              "Well, I'd rather you didn't this time. If we can't refuel on our way out, we'll have to turn ourselves over to the mercy of South Korea. If we do so with a plane-load of mangled kids, we'd have the edge, but that might not be enough."

Comment

"If need be you can ditch in the ocean and we can pick you up. We can rig up a privat becon. And I only miss when hitting will kill me"

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Might I suggest this instead?

You only need 1 and it is easier to aquire...

http://www.sptimes.com/2003/12/05/ne...will_get.shtml

Comment

Chris replies to Damien's rather interesting drawing: "Thinking about this and any future missions, two fourteen point fives is a lot of weight and firepower. Honestly it might realistically be overkill. I tell you what, if your guys are good enough to rig a disappearing rig, I say go for it for the tail. That was my concern with guns on the tail anyway, them getting in the way of the ramp, which we will want entirely clear. But let's go with a hybrid mount, fourteen point five and seven point six two. That way the gunner only needs say a hundred rounds for the big gun and we save weight by putting antipersonnel rounds as the primary weapon, which is what we really need most of the time."

Looking about, Chris notes that most of those present have substantial combat or technical skills. "And we'll start training Kendra up as the gunner for the 'bou. In addition to the two forward fourteen fives, and the two rocket pods and the tail rig, I want two seven six twos for mounting to either the forward doors or out the windows. Those are for the flight crew to either fight with from the plane to get in or out of an LZ, or as additional MMGs for the egressing parties. We won't need any more weapons than that. Forward guns and rockets are to support ground troops or take out trucks in our way when we're on approach. Door guns are to suppress pursuit, and the same for tail guns."

Noting Lori's comments, Chris replies: "While I agree that technically mounting firepower on the transport asset seems to be superfluous, especially with the other firepower assets, it's a contingency and confidence thing. Having the ability give fire support and self-defence from the Bou gives us a backup in case the plan goes sideways. All it would take is a squad of troops with rifles to ruin our day, because while we're going to put some light steel plate to protect the pilots, everyone else is going to be exposed to some extent. So it could be vital to be able to suppress any stray patrol. It's also a big confidence booster for the flight crew, knowing that they're not completely reliant on someone else to protect their butts."
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

LONG post, but I have to catch up for not being here yesterday.

"If need be you can ditch in the ocean and we can pick you up. We can rig up a privat becon. And I only miss when hitting will kill me"
                      "Right. We do need prearranged disaster calls. We also need to have a pan in case one of the aircraft need to turn around and bail your boat out if a tight situation. Not sure what that might be, since your boat is faster than anything ROK Navy has, but its something to keep in mind."

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                      Might I suggest this instead?
                      You only need 1 and it is easier to aquire...
                      (my mistake, the GM goofed. That's actually what I was thinking of but never changed my posts. Good call)

Chris replies to Damien's rather interesting drawing: "Thinking about this and any future missions, two fourteen point fives is a lot of weight and firepower. Honestly it might realistically be overkill. I tell you what, if your guys are good enough to rig a disappearing rig, I say go for it for the tail. That was my concern with guns on the tail anyway, them getting in the way of the ramp, which we will want entirely clear. But let's go with a hybrid mount, fourteen point five and seven point six two. That way the gunner only needs say a hundred rounds for the big gun and we save weight by putting antipersonnel rounds as the primary weapon, which is what we really need most of the time."
                      "I don't know of a 7.62 that has anywhere near the ballistic arc of a 14.5, which means a more complicated sighting arrangement. But, minor point... maybe instead you would prefer a Type 54 (copy of DShK-38 Russian 50-cal) in there instead of the two others?"

Looking about, Chris notes that most of those present have substantial combat or technical skills. "And we'll start training Kendra up as the gunner for the 'bou. In addition to the two forward fourteen fives, and the two rocket pods and the tail rig, I want two seven six twos for mounting to either the forward doors or out the windows. Those are for the flight crew to either fight with from the plane to get in or out of an LZ, or as additional MMGs for the egressing parties. We won't need any more weapons than that. Forward guns and rockets are to support ground troops or take out trucks in our way when we're on approach. Door guns are to suppress pursuit, and the same for tail guns."
                      "I agree to all, but we are coming up short with MGs that are both belt-fed and 7.62mm, unless I order up a few, and weight is starting to become an issue for you. Since you want dual-purpose, I suggest the Spanish CETME, MG-82 as they used to be called. 5.56mm, they weigh 6.85 kg with 100 rounds in a box underneath. Those might be your best bet for door-guns.
                      Just don't leave them behind. I only want weapons of Chinese origin left behind."

Noting Lori's comments, Chris replies: "While I agree that technically mounting firepower on the transport asset seems to be superfluous, especially with the other firepower assets, it's a contingency and confidence thing. Having the ability give fire support and self-defence from the Bou gives us a backup in case the plan goes sideways. All it would take is a squad of troops with rifles to ruin our day, because while we're going to put some light steel plate to protect the pilots, everyone else is going to be exposed to some extent. So it could be vital to be able to suppress any stray patrol. It's also a big confidence booster for the flight crew, knowing that they're not completely reliant on someone else to protect their butts."
                      "We must plan on things going wrong. I can't emphasize that enough.
                      Now, this might be a strange thing for someone in my position to remind you all of, but this operation is a bit outside the scope of anything my people have done before. however, its also just the thing that North Korea has never had to deal with before, even remotely. "

"How so?" Rock is keen on details like this.

"Firstly, we are mounting an operation from Japan and South Korea that none of their usual sources can tip them off about. As you might know, they have penetrated the security services of both nations to a shocking degree.
                      Second; the Norks are focused on incursions by individual spies or a couple of saboteurs... or a major military strike. A raid of this sort hasn't been attempted there since the 1960s, as far as I know. We don't just fall between the cracks, we're gonna look downright weird once they put the pieces together after the fact.
                      "It also goes without saying that there is not a single major Govt on Earth that would undertake such a raid, simply for the purpose of saving a few kids and trying to prevent damage to a few hundred more in the future. Any International Intelligence service that is aware of what is going on is sitting back, hoping to glean some of the results that the Norks gain from their experiments."

Kotomi would flinch at that statement, and glance at Lori and Kasakabe.

"Now, lets start getting organized." He goes to a anachronistic black-board that was brought down from one of the classrooms up above, and starts making lists.

Boatnicks/Refueling;
                      Dutch
                      Rebeca
                      Beny
                      Mujo
                      Elvira

Hellraising/Diversion
                      Sushi

Advanced team on target
                      Kasakabe
                      The Heretic

Issota, coordinates & ECM
                      Lori
                      Rama

FW-190
                      Dannon
                      (natural aptitude, just needs to check-out on this type)

Carabou/main Force
                      Pilot ? (hired hot-shot, I have one in mind)
                      Chris
                      Kendra
                      Luchaan
                      Zel
                      Lidanya
                      Lexi
                      Nico
                      (go on Caribou for cammo, return via normal channels from Japan)
                      Rock
                      Oaan
                      Ty
                      Sian
                      Jo
                      Boannan
                      Chanti

Stay behind;
                      Vondonna
                      Kotomi
                      Yasmin
                      Ygraine

(( note that its all in chalk, and there is immediate trouble over leaving anyone behind here so let the fireworks begin!))

Comment

Chris considers Damien's Offer:

"Going back to the tail guns, it's really a matter of we have an interesting weapon system option. 14.5 has a lot more penetration than 12.7. Notably it can penetrate parts of the Hind, and has a lot more range for AA. For our purposes on the ground it can penetrate light armored vehicles which 7.62 or even 12.7 can't. And there's a thirty pound weight difference, not a big deal there."

Chris thinks about the 7.62 options: "I say go with a PK or a Chinese copy of it if you can get them. They're optional both ways. Not a true belt-fed MMG, they don't have the sustained fire ability. But they do have MMG levels of ROF, and they can be belt fed onboard the bird if we so desire, or fed from the bag. Plus three of them covers all of our uses for the guns. And they'll be Chinese or even North Korean or Vietnamese if they're captured, which should confuse them as to our origins."

As to the contingency plans: "I think arming the Caribou, even this little bit, will go a long way to giving us some contingency capabilities. It at least gives Lori a bit more freedom in the Focke-Wulf to act on her own. As for others, we have a lot to consider before we go in."
                        Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

"We could get some kind of EPIRB that broad casts over a privat frequincie, may be uses GPS and sends the info the same way a satphone does. There are enough techheads in our litttel army to set it up. I am more worried about a aircraft, we got 1 AAgun and a good pilot or lots of aircraft will be bad for us. Maybe our SATphone setup can run like a sort of datalink, then we can send a messeag with thexact nature of our emgegncy, coded of course.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Lori answers that. "Pardon my intrusion again. I can solve that problem. I will supply three meson communications perscomms, one each to the boat team, Caribou crew, and advance team.
                            There is one requirement though. While I know the one Kasakabe has will be returned or destroyed completely, the other two teams need to know that they are under the same restrictions along with not showing this device to anyone other than the person it was given to. Break that rule and the person entrusted with it will be killed along with everyone who was shown it. Lose it and you are dead. This is absolutely serious. You cannot lose or allow these devices to fall into anyone's hands.
                            I will instruct those entrusted in their use. They are completely undetectable by any means on this planet and absolutely reliable as a means of voice communications between any two points on this world or into the ajoining space to a radius approxmately twice that of the orbit of this world's satellite.
                            Will that suffice for secure communications?"
                            Lori entrusts Benny and Rock with one besides the one Kasakabe has. After the meeting she shows them how to use it.
                            Both are stunned to find that these work by transmitting a tight beam of mesons that decay back into electrons of a specific frequency at the receiving end making a "radio" signal in a digital octal code that is then turned back into readible text or voice signal. She explains there is insufficent bandwidth for video or complex data.
                            The signal will travel right through the planet in a direct LOS from transmitter to receiver and the two devices using one of her hacked comm satellites and the "crude" GPS system can locate each other accurately for the transmission. It is one way at a time also.
                            "This is Ginsharian military equipment. Do not use it for anything other than its intended purpose. Show it to no one. Understood?" She stresses they will die if they disobey her orders and she will know if they do.

Benny turns to Rock as they leave with the commuicators. "She makes Balalaika look friendly!"
                            "I got the same impression and that she isn't kidding at all that she'd hunt us down and kill us if we do break her rules!" Rock replies.

She also states flatly in 'pilot voice' that the North Korean Air Force / aircraft are nothing but targets for the Isotta and its laser armament. If they interfer and Mister Damien deems it necessary she can and will shoot down everything that interfers with the mission.
                            "In air-to-air combat in this planet's atmosphere the installed laser carbine can fire with effect to approxmately ten kilometers and it will destroy a MiG 21 completely in approxmately two seconds of fire. The Isotta has no useful infra red signal to lock onto and it is invisible to the crude radars the Koreans have available. In addition, the 23mm cannon the MiG carries are incapable of damaging it except at ranges under two hundred meters and then only with sustained mulitple hits.
                            It is also one point five six times faster than a MiG 21 at its top speed and capable of maintaining that speed indefinitely in terms of an aerial combat as it would occur in this mission envelope. I will defeat all who oppose us."
                            Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 07 Nov 13, 20:47.

Comment

First of all, Lori, what we really need from you is an electronic screen that makes us look like something we are not, or not register at all, to the Norks. Without that, this can't happen.
                              Getting in, that's not as much of a problem as operating there or getting out. To get in, I see the Caribou heading up into the sea of Japan and going north to fly under an IL-4 or some similar sort of N.K. twin-engine aircraft going from Vladivostok to Pyongyang. Then you fly on the deck directly under it. The kind of crap the Nork's use for radar will wee you, if at all, as a echo, and that goes for their sound-ranging gear as well. It would be too lucky to get one at the time & place we want, so we will probably have to figure out how to delay one a few hours... I leave that up to our Techies.
                              The FW is more of a problem, can it slip in by flying right under your Issota?"

Chris thinks about the 7.62 options: "I say go with a PK or a Chinese copy of it if you can get them. They're optional both ways. Not a true belt-fed MMG, they don't have the sustained fire ability. But they do have MMG levels of ROF, and they can be belt fed onboard the bird if we so desire, or fed from the bag. Plus three of them covers all of our uses for the guns. And they'll be Chinese or even North Korean or Vietnamese if they're captured, which should confuse them as to our origins."
                              "PKs? those are easy to find, if you are sure that's what you want. But, they might sound a lot like what the Norks have... no, I don't see any of those being there. If anything, it will sound to the guys inside the compound as if their own people are coming to save them. Good, we'll go with those."

"We could get some kind of EPIRB that broad casts over a privat frequincie, may be uses GPS and sends the info the same way a satphone does. There are enough techheads in our litttel army to set it up. I am more worried about a aircraft, we got 1 AAgun and a good pilot or lots of aircraft will be bad for us. Maybe our SATphone setup can run like a sort of datalink, then we can send a messeag with thexact nature of our emgegncy, coded of course.
                              "The Device you are getting from Lori is better than all of that, it would behoove you to learn to use it properly. If you are that worried about air threats, I suppose I can let you borrow the SA-14. I want it back, Dutch, its the only one in free circulation in this part of the world."

It looks as if Lori is fine with being in her flying car and Dannon has a month to learn the FW, should be more than enough considering her talents. Everything else seems to be fine too.... except for the stay-behinds. All but Yasmine are upset, none more so than Vondonna.
                              "But... your the only one besides me that knows who to call if something goes wrong-"

"If something goes wrong most of you will be dead before I know it! You want me to take over, fine, but I still need to see how you run operations like this. Its probably your last one, isn't it?"

Damien is at a loss for words, for just a moment. "Perhaps..."

"Blanking-A it is. 'Oh, woe-is-me, my name is Damien Vanoy and all I was able to do with my life was cripple the kiddie sex-slave industry in Asia!' Pass the torch if you like, but its going to be hand-delivered, not something I have to pick up from a muddy grave."

"I must be loosing my grip, if any of you are talking to me like that." He rolls his eyes, and then smiles. "Not a bad impression, but the way. Just remember, your not too old for me to bend you over my knee and give you a good spanking."

Sushulana had something clever to say just then, but for once holds back... or maybe it was that look Kenrda gave her.

Vondonna makes the following changes;

Boatnicks/Refueling;
                              Dutch
                              Rebeca
                              Beny
                              Mujo
                              Elvira

Hellraising/Diversion
                              Sushi

Advanced team on target
                              Kasakabe
                              The Heretic
                              Sushi

Issota, coordinates & ECM
                              Lori
                              Rama

FW-190
                              Dannon
                              (natural aptitude, just needs to check-out on this type)

Carabou/main Force
                              Pilot ? (hired hot-shot, I have one in mind)
                              Chris
                              Kendra
                              Vondonna
                              Luchaan
                              Zel
                              Lidanya
                              Lexi
                              Nico
                              (go on Caribou for cammo, return via normal channels from Japan)
                              Rock
                              Kotomi
                              Ygraine

Oaan
                              Ty
                              Sian
                              Jo
                              Boannan
                              Chanti

Stay behind;
                              Yasmin
                              (plus certain alumni that I have contacted, for security)

"Contacted, already?" Rock smiles. "Your the brains of the operation now?"

"Hey..." Sushi is not liking that change much.

"Go in with Damien and Kasakabe. After that, its up to you, and them. Its not that I don't trust you... I don't even know you."

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                                First of all, Lori, what we really need from you is an electronic screen that makes us look like something we are not, or not register at all, to the Norks. Without that, this can't happen.
                                Getting in, that's not as much of a problem as operating there or getting out. To get in, I see the Caribou heading up into the sea of Japan and going north to fly under an IL-4 or some similar sort of N.K. twin-engine aircraft going from Vladivostok to Pyongyang. Then you fly on the deck directly under it. The kind of crap the Nork's use for radar will wee you, if at all, as a echo, and that goes for their sound-ranging gear as well. It would be too lucky to get one at the time & place we want, so we will probably have to figure out how to delay one a few hours... I leave that up to our Techies.
                                The FW is more of a problem, can it slip in by flying right under your Issota?"
                                "The systems I have identified are all primative pulse electronic detection systems. It will be simple to just use signal cancelling to erase the signatures of the aircraft from their equipment. The aircraft will be invisible to them so long as the Isotta is between the detecting station and the aircraft.
                                It is less than certain (Lori means 100% here) that my equipment can maintain that level of signal masking when the aircraft proceed beyond a position where the Isotta is between the sensor source and the target.
                                This should represent a minor threat as most North Korean sensor systems are set up to detect targets beyond their borders. There are few to no systems that track targets within their borders and the route I have suggested has no internal sensors on it.
                                Is this a sufficent answer?"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X