Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chapter 3; The Mask is Strange,

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • You might want to reconsider just a smidgen on that hole. Let's assume it is about 2 feet below the waterline, maybe a bit less and about 1" in diameter with no exit hole.
    The boat is taking on 1 ton of seawater every 7 to 9 minutes now. That compartment will fill to the waterline fast then you will have free surface effect to contend with as well as being down by the bow.
    You can't say I didn't learn something from all those shipboard damage control classes I had to take!
    And now you know why the 5th AF preferred the .50 in large numbers for strafing ships to the 75mm...

    I'd estimate (at 40% of displacement being unrecoverable sinking that you have 2.5 hours at most before that boat goes down! Better get that hole plugged soon!


    I want to see the map before deciding...
    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 10 Dec 13, 19:22.

    Comment


    • (Fortunately a hole that small shouldn't be THAT much trouble to plug, I'd think. So long as there's only one of them.)

      Chris glances back at his watch. "We need to get moving. Ninety Seconds. I don't want to be caught on takeoff by the Norks. And while I fully suspect that they suck, even I don't think they suck that bad at their jobs."
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

      Comment


      • Here's a better picture of the area:
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • THank you , and sorry for the delay.

          You have used your 'exotic' abilities to scan out the rest of the place. Between Muro and Sushi, this is what you come up with;


          All in all, its pretty well spaced-out to withstand a thorough bombing of the area above. I'm hoping I got it right with the layout of this type of facility, I've never draw up a Hospital or research station before.

          And, this was a little rushed.

          Above area 8 is half a dozen recovery rooms. Only the middle one of the right is occupied, with 5 kids that have bandaged heads and erratic vital signs.
          The room can be observed from the hallway with the dotted line, but not entered from there.

          The rest of it is pretty mundane, office space and a few dormitory-style rooms, but the large one up top looks like some sort of Gymnasium/danger room. Those red x's are active psionics, and the moment Muro sees them, they are aware of her.

          This all took just seconds.

          Yeah... if I were you, I'd be thinking of leaving too at this point. It looks like more than 90 seconds of entanglement up that way.

          BTW- I could be mean here, but I won't. Luchaan is still at the top of the stairs, who did you leave at area 2?

          Dutch; your pumps can handle a leak that size. I just need to know if you took that shot or let the Super Frelon go.

          Comment


          • You do not need to ask that qustion. Of course I will take the shot. Thaey tried to shoot me so it is only faire don't you think.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

            CPO Mzinyati

            Comment


            • Originally posted by andrewza View Post
              You do not need to ask that qustion. Of course I will take the shot. Thaey tried to shoot me so it is only faire don't you think.
              I don't dare take anything for granted when it comes to free will and the players.

              You get a hit, not a good one, but combined with the 30 rounds Revy just put into it, its more than enough to bring the big bird down. And, thankfully, it went into the water instead of crashing and burning on dry land. The Gunship landed half in and half out on the shore, the pilot managed to bring it down gently enough that he and the gunner might have survived. They are in a rocky, non-beach area at the northernmost point of the island.

              "One of those guys must have been the Chairman's son-in-law or something." Elvira quips. "That was a hell of a rescue party."

              Benny; "We can catch that Yacht, if you want."

              The Caribou is less than 10 minutes out.

              Comment


              • Murotsu looks at Sushi. "Merrin here" she says flatly. Pointing her hand back and forth she asks "Fight?"

                Comment


                • "Yeah that was a bit much for a bunch of lowly smugglers. We best check on the chopper crew. Don't want them biting us in the ass."

                  "Benny there not much you can do other than sink them. And it a bit of a waist. Let them run off we do not have much time before our guests arrive."
                  you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

                  CPO Mzinyati

                  Comment


                  • Chris emphatically holds his fist up in the universal signal for HALT. "Negative. We do not engage. Far too many innocents at stake to go after him now. We evac with the kids, and gather as much information as we can. I want to know what he's doing here, and why he's in a compound in North Korea of all places. Whatever we can gather on that vein we do on the way out."

                    Chris waves his team back towards the entrance. "We're clearing out. Move. V, we're coming your way. Lu check topside." After a second of thought "Lu, notify Vladmir that the situation is critical, and be ready for hot extract."

                    Chris and his team take off back towards the steps at a run, bounding back up the hallway to Vodonna. Chris fingers an AT grenade, hoping it might be enough to slow THAT down if it chose to make a move.
                    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                    Comment


                    • I await Sushi's response.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        Murotsu looks at Sushi. "Merrin here" she says flatly. Pointing her hand back and forth she asks "Fight?"
                        In a rare moment of indecisiveness, she hesitates. Then, a wicked grin starts to come over her, but in the time it takes her to start to lean forward...

                        Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                        Chris emphatically holds his fist up in the universal signal for HALT. "Negative. We do not engage. Far too many innocents at stake to go after him now. We evac with the kids, and gather as much information as we can. I want to know what he's doing here, and why he's in a compound in North Korea of all places. Whatever we can gather on that vein we do on the way out."

                        Chris waves his team back towards the entrance. "We're clearing out. Move. V, we're coming your way. Lu check topside." After a second of thought "Lu, notify Vladmir that the situation is critical, and be ready for hot extract."

                        Relayed by Luchann; "Then hustle yourselves out of there, we have tanks on the loose 5 klicks away."

                        Chris and his team take off back towards the steps at a run, bounding back up the hallway to Vodonna. Chris fingers an AT grenade, hoping it might be enough to slow THAT down if it chose to make a move.
                        Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                        I await Sushi's response.
                        Thank you.

                        She is frustrated and disheartened, but has an instinctive appreciation of how slender the thread is leading out of here.
                        "It will takes us about a minute to get out of here, a detour to ransack and office will be way over 90 seconds we don't have anymore, so lets..."

                        WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?
                        Mass Domination can be such an ugly thing.
                        Once again, this happens very quickly, its a battle of wills that lasts barely the blink of an eye.

                        Zel falls to her knees, and over the Comms, Vondonna's moan of despair is just the same. Phaing shakes it off almost instantly... and Kendra, Chris and Muro are teetering on the brink of the abyss...
                        (not kidding, to save time I rolled 20-siders. got a 6, 3, 18 11, 12, and a 9 in the same order as the names are listed above.

                        Its partly the unfamiliarity that is so frightening. Its also something akin to going to war with great confidence in a Sherman Tank, and being confronted with a JadgTiger.
                        This Dragon is using his will to flatten your willpower, and he's very good at it. Alien, reptilian, primordial, and as insane as Jim Jones on a bad day.
                        (see Jonestown, Guyana)

                        The lucky break is that he does not have much of a hold on you before Sushi shakes him off, and he realizes who she is.
                        YOU....YOU? WHY?!?

                        His outrage distracts him from the rest of you, and those teetering on the edge can come back now. A fraction of a second and a fat slice of eternity later... you will have to carry Zel, and Vondonna will need help as well. Leave the Chi-Com weapons behind and you should have no problem with that.

                        Sushi pauses at the top of the stairs, pulls the pin on the Gas mine and tosses it down. " 'Cause I ain't giving up on life." and slams the door shut.


                        Outside, Damien is waiting for you standing bold as brass in the shattered gateway (serving as bait for snipers, but after the first one get picked off by return fire from an RPO, its been real quiet up here). He waves to you and turns to lead the way back to the Caribou. You overtake him, he's staggering a bit even after he leaves his weapon behind, but with a little help from Lidanya and Lexi you all make it back to the Caribou in good time.

                        Now, tanks like these are normally not much of a problem;


                        And, they have obligingly left the road you need to use to fly out of here.

                        But then, that ain't such a great thing. They are on opposite sides of the road, more than far enough apart that the FW-190 can't possibly take them both out in one pass.... and one pass is all Dannon will have time for.
                        In many cases, small-unit leadership in the North Korean Army can be devilishly efficient.

                        You have shaken off the effects of Merrin's mental attack, for now (later, well, we can talk about that later) except for Zel and Vondonna. The question now is... who among you feels capable of hitting a T-59 with the last RPG-22 from the ramp of a fast-moving Caribou at a range of about 200 meters?

                        Or, should we turn around and try to take off with the wind?

                        Sorry, Damien is in no shape to make that call right now, he collapsed as soon a he got back on board.

                        Comment


                        • Murotsu looks at Chris and Sushi. She points upwards then taps her chest. "Go Lori!" She points at them "Take plane! Go!"

                          "Lori pick up! On way!" Muro turns the grav belt on such that she shoots straight up into the sky and is invisible in less than a second with the thermoptics on.

                          "Understood. Rama, helmet." Lori says doing her own then checking Rama's to make sure hers is secured.
                          She then depressurizes the gravcoupe and moves to meet Muro at 10,000 meters.
                          "Rama, open your door."
                          Murotsu climbs in and she and Rama jostle a bit to fit in the passenger side of the vehicle. With the door closed Lori heads to escort the Caribou and Fw back to Guilop-Ri.

                          "Mr. Damien. There is a potential problem with two tanks on the road" Lori calls. "Dannon, one pass then head for the island" Lori orders.
                          She puts the Isotta into free fall until it is about 2 km from the tanks. Using the pulse laser that was fitted she opens fire on the two vehicles with the intent of disabling both completely.
                          (The laser discharge is invisible to the eye and IR sensors besides, she has to get down to about 1500 to 2000 meters altitude to escort the planes out)
                          Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 13 Dec 13, 10:25.

                          Comment


                          • Just got a PM from TaC, which lets me go ahead with a resolution.

                            Dannon's pass is a miss, but her rain of shells causes one tank to swerve and end up in a ditch. As the driver is trying to get out of that mess, the other tank is detonated by the unseen lazer strike from Lori.

                            These are Type 62 light tanks, mch smaller and less substantial than the T-55s they appear to be. (little 21-ton tanks with thin armor and 85mm guns, but visually near-identical to the larger tanks.

                            Chris does not go to the open ramp, but takes a more daring approach; He stands up in the cockpit roof (see the pic of the Caribou) and fires his round at the other tank.
                            Its a hit (16 on a scale of 1-20) and the tank climbing out of the ditch erupts in a ball of fire.
                            That will discourage anyone else nearby, and the take-off is as smooth as you could want.

                            Dannon loops back and drops one of her bombs on that Railroad town to knock down and raidio towers or observers that might want to tell anyone what direction we are going.
                            Very impressive blast from that little Thermobaric.

                            Then, we form up on Lori to get out of the most hostile nation on Earth.

                            The first 2 Migs are up, and they are closer to the border you want to leave through than you are.
                            Back to you now.

                            Comment


                            • Chris yells back to the team, and all the kids. "Strap in, it's going to be a bumpy ride. TAIL GUNNER! STRAP IN! STANDBY FOR RAMP IF WE NEED YOU!"

                              Chris hops into the co-pilot's seat. "Ok, ready for some fun? We're going to show those Migs what this plane was made for. Keep it on the deck, and as fast as you can. We're going nap of the earth in a plane that can out turn them low and slow."
                              Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

                              Comment


                              • In the gravcoupe Lori puts up a holodisplay of the positon of the two MiGs along with the others as they get airborne. Her fingers fly over the controls like a concert pianist's and she looks like she's in a trance.
                                "Pilot mode" Muro whispers to Rama. "Here may need" she hands a large plastic bag to her and takes one for herself.
                                Rama looks oddly at the bag.
                                Muro goes through the motions of getting air sick and vomiting....

                                "Mister Damien, there are two Alien fighter aircraft that could engage us. Moving to annihilate them.”

                                With that the Isotta’s drive lights up bright blue and the vehicle streaks away from the two planes. There is a shattering BOOM! as it goes sonic.
                                “Rama, jam all communications to those aircraft” Lori orders in pilot voice without looking.
                                “Time to intercept two minutes twelve seconds.”
                                The Isotta is now moving 2700 kph as it closes in a parabolic curve from above and behind the two jets. The grav coupe closes on the planes at 500 meters a second. As it approaches the two MiGs Lori stands the vehicle on its nose and applies every bit of braking she can to end up directly behind the two aircraft slightly below their altitude at a range of just a couple hundred meters. Rama and Murotsu nearly smash into the windscreen as their harnesses strain to keep them in the seat.
                                The Isotta comes to a complete halt as she opens fire with the laser on the trailing machine spraying it with fire from wing tip to wing tip.
                                She sidesteps the wreckage in a vicious high Gee horizontal movement as the MiG comes apart like a $3 suit in the rain and accelerates after the lead plane as it tries to turn and roll in an attempt to scissor with the unseen enemy the pilot suspects is behind him.
                                Lori mercilessly chops his aircraft into little pieces as well.

                                As the plane disintegrates she rolls the Isotta and moves to return to a covering position over the Caribou and Fw.
                                “Mr Damien the Aliens (the word is an insulting pejorative scatological term for her when used as she is doing) have been annihilated. Any additional ones will be as well. Continue your withdrawal.”


                                Murotsu looks at Lori in disappointment. “That too easy. No fun! Want real ride!”
                                “Another time” Lori replies still using her ‘pilot voice‘. “The mission must succeed.”

                                Comment

                                Latest Topics

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X