Chapter 2; Something Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    On quarters, while Kotomi and Kasakabe aren't going to be picky Lori will be. She will want something that is stark, antiseptic, and artificial like this:
    ... blank stares.
    Well, maybe we could steal a Businessman's private jet.

Or, hire a good interior decorator from Singapore to fly in and spend about 30 or 40k to get it done that way for Lori.

(was that talk on the beach a private moment, or can someone wander into it?)
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Romania , 2011
      Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      (Sorry for the short post, going to bed....and the Python is DA, but like many revolvers could be used SA if desired)

"Hmm", Chris says, "Ordinarily I'd say I don't have the assets for this sort of job on hand. Would you mind telling me what sort of skills or gear you can bring to the table? We need to get in, either unseen or with a convincing ruse, and then get out in a way that's either unseen or won't be unusual. With just two of us it's a bad idea to try to take down the building. And that's stone, so explosives will be very tricky to use there. Plus we have no current idea what the force count is inside." Chris ponders....

"Might be the best plan to get an idea of what's there, and then leave. We don't need to be hanging around too long, if those are CIA types they'll be a suspicious lot. But some sightseers that are gone by morning won't set them off too badly."
      "You want recon? Wouldn't have lived this long if I didn't have maddening skills."
      Chris blinks. "You mean... nevermind."
      "No, not nevermind, tell me when I make a mistake, every time. I'm trying to learn your lingo the hard way. I need idiotic English if I want to pass for American."
      "You mean idiomatic."
      "Yes, thank you. Park this thing somewhere inconspicuous. Then, give me 30 minutes to do what I have to do. I'm gonna be a little out-of-it for a while, so don't shake me or anything, it won't do any good."

Once he's parked she does seem to go into a trance. The ghostly hologram-like image of one of her eyeballs drifts free of her head and goes zipping away towards the Monastery. That was kinda icky, but as the sun now sets there won't be much chance of anyone spotting that thing up there.
      In a few minutes, she starts to sketch on a piece of paper without opening her eyes. Its a good little map, and it includes military symbols that are close, but not exactly like what you would use yourself.

She's almost done at its close to full dark when, wouldn't you know, a Romainian traffic cop shows up to look you over.

This is a hilly and barren area. This village is small, and 12 klicks down the road are a pair of slightly larger ones acros the river from each other. They exist to serve a Govt-built factory. The nearest fertile land is 30 klicks away, so naturally, this Govt-planned facility makes Gardening tools.
      Your best guess is that there should be about 3 motel-like places there, and one heck of a hardware store.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        ... blank stares.
        Well, maybe we could steal a Businessman's private jet.

Or, hire a good interior decorator from Singapore to fly in and spend about 30 or 40k to get it done that way for Lori.
        Lori offers to pay to have it done. "I am very uncomfortable with how things are here... on this world, sorry. It is just... very Alien for me. Most non-Ginsharians find Ginshar too clean and artificial and I recognize that. Sorry."

(was that talk on the beach a private moment, or can someone wander into it?)
        No, I was just trying to make the characters more three dimensional. If something added would improve that aspect of it by all means add it.

Comment

Once she's done, Chris pulls his wool driving cap lower over his eyes (his traditional outback hat would look a bit out of place here so he bought a different hat with the car). "Ok, we're going up the road a fair piece, and then we'll decide on what to do about getting in there. I don't want to stay at this little village, I mean they are CIA, but they're not THAT blind."

Going up to the more used of the two motels, Chris pays for a room for one night with cash. Then he helps Sulshana into the room. The Clerk didn't even bat an eye, so Chris is certain that it's pretty normal for members of various agencies and syndicates to pass through here. A couple of patched but unpainted holes tells Chris that there's even the occasional firefight in these parts, but the plaster patches look fairly dirty and worn, so they're somewhat old.

"Ok" he says once in the room, and turns the TV and shower on to help drown out any bugs, "how many are we looking at having to contend with? I would rather our little 'purchase', happen without too many entanglements."
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Natuna Besar

Lori offers to pay to have it done. "I am very uncomfortable with how things are here... on this world, sorry. It is just... very Alien for me. Most non-Ginsharians find Ginshar too clean and artificial and I recognize that. Sorry."
            Pshaw! If you need to re-do a room, and will be staying for a couple of years, then by all means do it to your heart's content. Lori is paying for it, after all.
            Oh... the fact that you are staying so long comes as a surprise to the kids. No other "visitor" has stayed with them so long. Its a treat to the younger ones, and a point of concern for the older ones, they will be more and more curious about what you are doing here and why.

Some also start to feel self-conscious about that "cleanliness" thing.
            But then, the next day its back to "Lets play Stormtroopers vs. French Barmaids!"
            "OUTSIDE!"
            CRASH
            No matter how hard we try, a bottle made of glass always seems to get into the mix...

And, there are times when the punishments are strangely muted. Damien prefers his children on the slightly rowdy side.

No, I was just trying to make the characters more three dimensional. If something added would improve that aspect of it by all means add it.
            Huh, now that you mention it, I don't think I can improve on it at all.

However, I can give you a kick-ass soundtrack;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sffxc85n40I

and, once Kasakabe is taking better care of herself, we can talk about including her on our next op.
            We will be going father afield this time, Turkey and Moldova for a quick double-whamy. Thanks to you, this group can attempt something larger and more daring; striking at a network at both its point of collection and point of consumption within hours of each other.
            Luchaan and Rama will not be going, they will remain behind to guard the family... and neither of them are arguing about it.
            Damien suspects they have crushes on Lori and Kotomi respectively and will be acting on that once Kasakabe is elsewhere.

These people rely on the proper application of High Explosives, subterfuge and Gas (non-lethal and other) to get the edge they need to overcome ten times their number of hostiles.
            Well, that and a shocking ferocity towards their enemy.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Kasakabe with thermoptics on and using her ability to fade is literally invisible and can walk into a room full of people kill someone and walk out and no one even notices she is there.
              A nick with a blade and the victim falls over as if suffering a massive heart attack or stroke and dies minutes later.
              She will stress "Never there!"

She can walk right past guards, won't show up on cameras with the thermoptics, and with a few of Lori's spy toys along can circumvent and get through any lock or security system in minutes or less.

She likes to do the fade thing on people just to annoy them. Since you ignore her presence it's like she isn't there standing right next to you then you turn or bump her and get surprised. It's like she popped up out of nowhere.
              I'd expect people who are in the know to be annoyingly unnerved by it and tell her repeatedly to stop doing it. "You funny!" she would most likely give as a snide response.
              Those who don't know her trick would just find it incredibly annoying.

Comment

Kasakabe with thermoptics on and using her ability to fade is literally invisible and can walk into a room full of people kill someone and walk out and no one even notices she is there.
                A nick with a blade and the victim falls over as if suffering a massive heart attack or stroke and dies minutes later.
                She will stress "Never there!"

She can walk right past guards, won't show up on cameras with the thermoptics, and with a few of Lori's spy toys along can circumvent and get through any lock or security system in minutes or less.
                Excellent. The plan is to hit Sinope on the north Turkish coast first to liberate about a dozen there, then nail the ring's collection point at Krasnoye at the southern end of Moldova where a largely unknown situation as far as numbers awaits. Time is a factor because the extraction of any large number of kids from the 2nd place is not possible, but a team from Save The Children and the Chicago Archdioceses will be on hand to take charge of the children... once we let them know about all this, that is. Preferably at the last possible moment.

Normally the twins do a little scouting, identical twins can be extraordinarily useful in espionage against a foe that is only aware that one such woman exists.
                However, this time there will be no time for such things. They will take charge of those saved at Sinope and ferry them out to the Yacht passing by and a rich fellow that owes Damien a favor.

Then Kasakabe and Damien will wing over to Krasnoye (hopefully) before the alarm is sounded where Nin and Zel will be waiting with a stolen BRDM-2 for the more violent side of this operation.
                Without Kasakabe and the air-car, this op would be impossible.

She likes to do the fade thing on people just to annoy them. Since you ignore her presence it's like she isn't there standing right next to you then you turn or bump her and get surprised. It's like she popped up out of nowhere.
                I'd expect people who are in the know to be annoyingly unnerved by it and tell her repeatedly to stop doing it. "You funny!" she would most likely give as a snide response.
                Those who don't know her trick would just find it incredibly annoying.
                Err... well, yes....
                Until a new game starts. Its a variation of Hide & seek. "Find the invisible Kasakabe!"

"Never a dull moment since you 3 got here, that's for sure."
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Romania, Rimnicu Vulcea, 2011

"Ok" he says once in the room, and turns the TV and shower on to help drown out any bugs, "how many are we looking at having to contend with? I would rather our little 'purchase', happen without too many entanglements."
                  "Well, its not all that much, really. Three suits, as you call them, and twice as many Goons. Even so, it seems over-manned, there are only 4 people there that seemed like they were being held, two are in hospital beds and at the other end of the basement are two that can walk. If you are into blonds, and I think you are, yours is in this room here. I need to check this room here," She points at one under the tower, "I got a weird tickle from that place, something weird is in there."

She sits back, looking at her own map. "Just a camera up on that Castle, and the Goons seem to be taking shifts. This should not be much trouble, unless they get some new guys in their tomorrow. We could go tonight if you feel up to it. My way makes a lot of noise and might make some of them dead, but we will be able to get her and get out fast with your girl.
                  "Huh, from that look, I guess you don't approve. These guys carry machine-pistolen for side-arms, so I hope your ideas are good ones. They seem to mean serious business in there."

If you ask her what she means by noisy, she mentions spells. "Which, interestingly enough, you don't seem to have a problem with. You must have an interesting past, Gunslinger."
                  Last edited by The Exorcist; 11 Oct 13, 01:47.
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Natuna Besar

Huh, now that you mention it, I don't think I can improve on it at all.

However, I can give you a kick-ass soundtrack;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sffxc85n40I

I think it is a scene that calls for something tragic and edgy that conveys the hurt and how the two deal with it.

Natuna Besar, sometime going towards 2011
                    Which makes her a big hit around here.
                    Kim asks if there are any famous people alive today that she would like to meet.
                    Funny thing, she takes any answer seriously...
                    “Will ask Lori, look, decide. Give week” she replies.

Actually, her book would be a variant on the previous book, wouldn't it?
                    Not from her point of view. She is looking at it from the future not the past. The book they got for the Captain was a future variant of the one she is looking at. The one she wants to write / expand with would be a variant but not necessarily the one that she saw in the future.

Oops, forgot to mention;
                    Every week they play a little game-
                    Yes, weapons are forbidden to the kids 16 & under at the table most of the time (an attack by a deranged chauffeur 5 years ago makes the adults wary of ever going unarmed, despite the fact that the staff has been trimmed to the bone). The time they are not comes once a week, when all the kids are allowed to try to try to hide a weapon that can't be found on them. If they succeed, they get an extra desert.
                    Its been months since anyone succeeded.
                    Given their gear and Murotsu’s ability to use clairvoyance it would be unfair and Lori says so. They excuse themselves from the game on the basis they would have an unfair advantage. Murotsu does however show her students how to hide their weapons to minimize detection against Lori’s spy gear and her own ability to psionically seek them out. They get more successful afterwards… Far more successful!
                    A game where they try to find Murotsu hiding using thermoptics and fading would keep her busy and be seen as good training for the kids.

Yeah, but how the hell to you AIM it that far?
                    “Using remote sensor devices like the RATS” Lori replies. “I can also use my own enhanced senses to do the same thing with only slightly less accuracy. I believe a crude analog to that is what you call synthetic aperture radar where a computer does an integration of the data so as to fill the gaps between actual data points. I do that automatically.”

"Why no guns?"
                    He will have the De-Lisle refurbished and made serviceable again. Its a 45-ACP rifle, so silent that the loudest thing about firing it is the firing pin hitting the primer.
                    "If you don't like the noise..."
                    Murotsu looks at him like he’s stupid. “No pay attention?!” She demands. “Find every weapon! Many world very strict! No care blade, bow. Only think gun, energy weapon dangerous. Walk in kill everybody!
                    It is scary how casually she says that.
                    Lori adds “On many worlds there is a vacuum or near vacuum atmosphere. No noise. On others recoil is an issue with low gravity. Kasakabe’s weapons work incredibly well in those environments.”

Some were even branded.
                    However, that one boy likes his foot, he can kick things as hard as he wants and it never hurts.
                    Its also handy for playing pranks on the people in town.

It will be hard to stop, its is emerging that Sian could grow into one of those few true beauties of Chinese stock. She even tries to run away if Muro can't be dissuaded from healing her after the point of diminishing returns.
                    "Stop wasting your self!" She begs.
                    Kasakabe tries with all of them to the extent she can. She is well aware that she cannot heal everything physically wrong with them and does not try. But even one try takes it out of her to do.

Damien has a more subtle and effective form of persuasion.
                    He, Luchaan and the twins simply are not there one day, and everyone just shrugs if you ask where they are. The next day, everyone is watching the news and cheer when a Saudi Prince's Yacht burn and sink with all hands off New Zealand.
                    Two days later they return with a darling Phillipeano girl, and Damien asks with a neutral tone; "Would you like to accompany us next time? If so, we will need you to be fully rested and of one mind, Kasakabe."
                    She reads him. “No take job?!” She angrily says. “Always ready! Ask Lori not believe! Need Lori too! Lori calalli, calalli spy! Know all! Never there with me, her!”

On the next job brought up Lori suggests how she and Murotsu might proceed if Damien wants them to. First she says his operatives should mark the target(s) with one of a little patch she shows him. This looks like a tiny square of scotch tape. “Just get it on the target anywhere” she says. “Once he’s marked I can make more detailed scans and biometrically identify him wherever he goes.”
                    She then says using the gravcoupe she and Kasakabe can use a suborbital flight path avoiding Terran detection and satellites. Murotsu can drop thermoptically cloaked from 7 to 12 thousand meters using a gravbelt (the other one is dedicated to Kotomi’s use) directly on the target. She kills him and then simply ascends back to the vehicle for pick up.
                    “We would be over the target and mission complete in a matter of under thirty minutes, probably less. All I need is positive marking of the target to guide Kasakabe down to the hit. Our exit flight would be north - south to avoid normal Terran military detection systems.”

The problem with all that is the time it will take, both in ordering it and making sure the path does not lead back to this place. Those familiar with Her work will be able to read orders like that as a trail of bread-crumbs.

The generators are here already, as are certain other things.
                    The “generators” she wants are high frequency ones to make microwaves not standard electrical ones. She says that high power military radar ones would be just as useful. Maybe surplus is available?
                    A lot of the other stuff will raise eyebrows as much of it is used in building things like nuclear bombs. That just goes with what she is doing.

Kotomi (only) will be shown the vault early on, but she has to be blindfolded part of the way in. Once there, she is shown a room that holds his "reserves", Gold, Silver, and other tangible things of worth.
                    The one he wants to show her is a couple of square-ish lumps of steel and a long tube of the same material. They are badly corroded but she can make out "Krupp, 1898" on one bit.

"These are come from one of the last reserves of high-grade steel left in the world that is untainted by man-made radiation that has been building up in the background since the 1940s. They have been sitting in the muck at the bottom of Scapa Flow since 1919, and I came by them in barter (we do a lot of that here) and I thought of them when you mentioned all those exotic materials and machining stuff. NASA uses this material for making delicate instruments, do you have any use for it?"

What it is includes 2 breaches & blocks and a barrel for 105mm naval cannon, over a ton of steel.
                    Kotomi would tell him radiation is not the problem. The two big ones in order of magnitude are gravity then magnetism. To create a stable jump space / alternate universe you need no gravity and no stray magnetism. A big chunk of iron or steel is the last thing she needs.
                    “Lori told me a story of how some of the people she was working with sabotaged a starship using magnetic nickel” Kotomi tells him. “A small amount destroyed that ship’s jump drive by creating stray magnetic fields that formed plasma around them then blew up the jump system. She said a ‘sister unit’ engineer named Ikki devised this plan for them.”
                    She then drifts off into advanced physics saying how the current thinking is wrong. “Magnetism is the easy part. We just need a strong enough field to contain things. The hard part is gravity. What we really need is true zero gravity and no stray magnetic fields including the Earth‘s! I‘m not sure anything but doing this in deep space will ever work…”

Oh, the project itself (what you have told him of it) is fascinating and he can see why people would be after Kotomi. A small alternate universe? Who wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of that... and at the same time determined not to allow such a thing to fall into the wrong hands.
                    Building what will not just be an alternate universe but potentially Earth’s first faster-than-light drive system for a space ship probably would get anyone’s attention. Kotomi clearly has the necessary starting points now to do it. That would be thrilling.

When shown the hanger the three vary in their reactions.
                    Lori is very polite, asks questions, and acts interested. She looks carefully at everything. Kasakabe is disinterested and takes a “whatever” attitude towards things while Kotomi being female and not a soldier is not overly interested in what she sees as “war toys.”

When the airplane is shown to them Kasakabe is the one to speak up. She points and laughs at the Focke Wulf. “Lori beat silly Nekhi!”
                    Of course that response just gets confused looks. So Lori with slight reluctance explains.
                    “Nekhi is a world that technologically is about equal to what would be required to build this aircraft (she momentarily hesitates to get the right term). When we were there on the starship Daichi Kaisu I had to engage in a mock exercise with some of that world’s air force. They had aircraft similar to this one.
                    I used the ship’s air raft. That is a vehicle similar to the Isotta but more like a van or truck is here. It seats four to six and has room for some cargo. They are common vehicles on interstellar capable worlds.
                    In the air raft I repeatedly beat all of their airplanes in the combat exercise. It was not a challenge to do so.”
                    Then she goes silent for a moment. “Does this airplane function properly? I did not attempt to fly one at Nekhi. I think I would like the opportunity to do so here if it is functional.”
                    “Lori love fly, pilot!” Murotsu adds.
                    “That’s for sure!” Kotomi adds. “She has an insane streak a mile wide when she does too!” She starts laughing hard. “I still can’t believe we buzzed an airliner in the gravcoupe that one time! That was so cool!”

Lori looks at Damien and Kim and in more of a “pilot voice” says “I studied the likely reactions to the Isotta being seen in such a situation and determined from information on television such as on the History Channel that a flying pink vehicle that looks like many expensive sports cars here do and has two pretty females in it would not be taken seriously. Instead the crew of that aircraft would think they were having a delusion of some sort.”

Now everybody is laughing. Lori just smiles real big and sticks her tongue out at them.
                    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 11 Oct 13, 16:59.

Comment

• "I didn't say that", Chris interjects. "In this case I'm actually partial to them ending up dead. Dead men don't pass as much information, and they kidnapped a US citizen, so there's actually a very moral reason to take care of it. Plus....they pissed me off and ruined a perfectly good dinner."

"So, do you propose we do it at a distance, or up close?" Chris asks, "I'm not certain how all of this interesting 'spell' stuff of yours works, and I'm partial to copper and lead myself....If they've only got machine pistols then we'll be in good shape, they won't have any long-range firepower and they'll be a bit slower to manipulate them. Plus lots of bullets doesn't mean they hit targets, just means you burn up ammo faster."

Chris mulls over it for a moment: "I'm good with a direct approach if you've got some way to keep them from rushing us all at once. I'm good for one or two at a time, and I can give any three a good fight, even if they've got skills and are better equipped than you say."

Comment

• Romania;

Chris mulls over it for a moment: "I'm good with a direct approach if you've got some way to keep them from rushing us all at once. I'm good for one or two at a time, and I can give any three a good fight, even if they've got skills and are better equipped than you say."
                        Sushulana thinks about it long and hard... a whole 15 minutes worth.
                        Hey, that's a long time by her standards.

"How do you feel about being turned into a Bat for a little while?"
                        She will explain how the works; Its kinda like a Witch turning somebody into a Frog, its permanent unless the one that casts the spell un-spells you... and she would have to be standing right next to you to do that. By the perverse logic of the system she learned under, she can do it to herself, but the spell would only last a short time. A little more than what it would take to fly there from where you are now... you squalid little copy of a 1960s Florida motel minus the sound-resistant walls.

You would have to fly in or crawl in through some vent or something, or down a chimney. Seeing as how its a 400 year-old building, there is bound to be something like that there. Once inside and people again, Sushulana suggests that you go down to the basement where the prisoners are and deal with the one, two or no guards that may be down there... and she will take care of the ground floor with something she calls an 'incendiary cloud'.
                        "Will that start a fire?"
                        "Maybe, but the place is made of stone. We have to leave quickly anyway, right?"
                        The only vehicles there are 2 motorcycles and a VW mini-van.

She assumes you have some way to open the doors, which looked old and heavy and mostly metal.

Even if they get word out, it will take a while for help to arrive, unless there is somebody camped out in the village. In that respect (only), this was a pretty dumb place for a safe house.

I won't go forward with this unless Chris gives the go-ahead.
                        Last edited by The Exorcist; 12 Oct 13, 00:11.
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                          “Using remote sensor devices like the RATS” Lori replies. “I can also use my own enhanced senses to do the same thing with only slightly less accuracy. I believe a crude analog to that is what you call synthetic aperture radar where a computer does an integration of the data so as to fill the gaps between actual data points. I do that automatically.”
                          "Huh, I wanted to rig the gun on the M114 to be slaved to radar, and installed the mechanism, but I was never able to find a small radar set that I liked."

Murotsu looks at him like he’s stupid. “No pay attention?!” She demands. “Find every weapon! Many world very strict! No care blade, bow. Only think gun, energy weapon dangerous. Walk in kill everybody!
                          It is scary how casually she says that.
                          Lori adds “On many worlds there is a vacuum or near vacuum atmosphere. No noise. On others recoil is an issue with low gravity. Kasakabe’s weapons work incredibly well in those environments.”
                          This man must have the patience of Job...
                          "That's not the point, dear ladies. You are on this world now, and you are in the presence of a master arms-smuggler. I can have anything you want waiting for you before you get there, almost anywhere you want to go.
                          So, while you are teaching us so much, would you like to learn a little from us?"

Kasakabe tries with all of them to the extent she can. She is well aware that she cannot heal everything physically wrong with them and does not try. But even one try takes it out of her to do.
                          As you fourself pointed out, she has passed the point of diminishing returns. Will she stop when she is down to 10 doses, 5?

She reads him. “No take job?!” She angrily says. “Always ready! Ask Lori not believe! Need Lori too! Lori calalli, calalli spy! Know all! Never there with me, her!”
                          "I left you here because you have been wrecking yourself trying to heal everyone, physically. Also, you and Luchaan are the most gifted killers at my disposal. I won't take both of you from here at the same time.
                          Period."

On the next job brought up Lori suggests how she and Murotsu might proceed if Damien wants them to. First she says his operatives should mark the target(s) with one of a little patch she shows him. This looks like a tiny square of scotch tape. “Just get it on the target anywhere” she says. “Once he’s marked I can make more detailed scans and biometrically identify him wherever he goes.”
                          She then says using the gravcoupe she and Kasakabe can use a suborbital flight path avoiding Terran detection and satellites. Murotsu can drop thermoptically cloaked from 7 to 12 thousand meters using a gravbelt (the other one is dedicated to Kotomi’s use) directly on the target. She kills him and then simply ascends back to the vehicle for pick up.
                          “We would be over the target and mission complete in a matter of under thirty minutes, probably less. All I need is positive marking of the target to guide Kasakabe down to the hit. Our exit flight would be north - south to avoid normal Terran military detection systems.”
                          "That will be a huge plus in the future. However, for this mission, we have to leave by midnight to get in position in time."
                          Its 4pm.
                          "The nature of the game is that we get to plan ahead about half the time."
                          However, with Lori's help, that will change to about 90%, and the number of targets will increase dramatically.
                          No now, but soon. You will be about to do half a dozen more ops like this before the end of 2011. And with the help of Lori and Kasakabe, they will be very smooth ops.

The “generators” she wants are high frequency ones to make microwaves not standard electrical ones. She says that high power military radar ones would be just as useful. Maybe surplus is available?
                          A lot of the other stuff will raise eyebrows as much of it is used in building things like nuclear bombs. That just goes with what she is doing.
                          Kim, Rama and Damien look at each other and shrug.
                          "Not many secrets to keep from you folks, are there? Look, our situation is more secure here than it looks. We have our own private radar array protecting us here. Its hidden pretty well, that old tower at the other end of the runway is the antenna on this side."

Kotomi would tell him radiation is not the problem. .....The hard part is gravity. What we really need is true zero gravity and no stray magnetic fields including the Earth‘s! I‘m not sure anything but doing this in deep space will ever work…”
                          "Can't help you with that."
                          But days later, Dannon has an idea. She has been reading up on Space relentlessly since you made her your little helper. "Dig a cave on the Moon."
                          The earth's moon is less dense and has fewer heavy elements than any other celestial body in this system relative to its size. This might not be a bad idea.

Or, you can just wing it.

Building what will not just be an alternate universe but potentially Earth’s first faster-than-light drive system for a space ship probably would get anyone’s attention. Kotomi clearly has the necessary starting points now to do it. That would be thrilling.
                          Affordable space-travel for a world that is refusing to make the sacrifices needed to develop it by its own efforts?
                          Kim is going to want to discuss the ethical merits of that with Kotomi some day soon.

When the airplane is shown to them Kasakabe is the one to speak up. She points and laughs at the Focke Wulf. “Lori beat silly Nekhi!”
                          Of course that response just gets confused looks. So Lori with slight reluctance explains.
                          “Nekhi is a world that technologically is about equal to what would be required to build this aircraft (she momentarily hesitates to get the right term). When we were there on the starship Daichi Kaisu I had to engage in a mock exercise with some of that world’s air force. They had aircraft similar to this one.
                          Damien walks them back to one of the crated Spits, and opens one end to let them see the nose and part of the engine. "This aircraft fought in World War 2 as part of the Czech Wing of the Royal Air Force. Those exiles fought with one Empire to defeat the one that had occupied their homes and enslaved their people. When they eventually won, they flew their war-birds home, and a few years later these same aircraft were transferred to Israel for the dawn of that little nation's brilliant struggle to exist. After that, they were sold to Burma, where they were simply left to rot by a corrupt Kingdom that was rotting away itself... until we brought them here. Now, they are treasured relics that we sell to the highest bidder under the assumption that the highest bidder will be the ones to treasure them most."

(all of the above is accurate re; the Burma Spits)

He walks you over to the Focke-Wulf.
                          "We don't know much about the history of this one, but it fought in the same skies 70 years ago, on the other side. Indulge me if you will, and do as I do."
                          He simply puts his hand on the old fighter. The tactile sensation will be different for each of them, but things made in Germany during that time do feel distinctive. Smooth and rough at the same time, as if carefully done and not quite finished as well... its hard to describe. There is an undeniable presence about this thing, as is the case with Pariah.
                          This thing of metal and glass and rubber has a history.

Then she goes silent for a moment. “Does this airplane function properly? I did not attempt to fly one at Nekhi. I think I would like the opportunity to do so here if it is functional.”
                          “Lori love fly, pilot!” Murotsu adds.
                          "Well, yes, but there are things to be fiddled with and adjusted. Personally, I think its a Lemon, but Kim has other ideas."
                          The guns are fakes, dumb iron bolted in place to give the plane proper balance, and that's a drop-tank, not a bomb.

"If you have any free time, you are welcome to give Kim a hand with this old beast."

Lori looks at Damien and Kim and in more of a “pilot voice” says “I studied the likely reactions to the Isotta being seen in such a situation and determined from information on television such as on the History Channel that a flying pink vehicle that looks like many expensive sports cars here do and has two pretty females in it would not be taken seriously. Instead the crew of that aircraft would think they were having a delusion of some sort.”

Now everybody is laughing. Lori just smiles real big and sticks her tongue out at them.
                          "Well now, it looks as if you picked the right color for it after all. And there is a saying on this world; "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled off was convincing people he didn't exist."
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                            "Huh, I wanted to rig the gun on the M114 to be slaved to radar, and installed the mechanism, but I was never able to find a small radar set that I liked."
                            See below. Lori shows him what she is truly capable of with her gear.

This man must have the patience of Job...
                            "That's not the point, dear ladies. You are on this world now, and you are in the presence of a master arms-smuggler. I can have anything you want waiting for you before you get there, almost anywhere you want to go.
                            So, while you are teaching us so much, would you like to learn a little from us?"
                            Kasakabe looks at him. She walks over to a small cart and picks up an aluminum clipboard with some papers on it. She produces one of her daggers almost like magic. The blade is about 10 cm long.
                            She shows Damien it up close. He can see the blade is made of a material he is unfamiliar with and covered with intricate markings and such. It is truly a beautiful weapon.
                            She takes the clip board and cuts it in half like a stick of warm butter with the dagger. “Get more?” she asks knowing full well there isn’t a blade on the planet that can match that.
                            “Ceramet. Molecular edge. Submicron polish. Intelligent. Cut anything. Use, you DIE! Touch blade without permission DIE!” She looks at him very seriously. “Professional. Best in ‘verse.”
                            She points her hand at Damien (a single or two fingered pointing is an insult in Ral Ranthan) “You learn.” She then taps her chest “Learn too. Never stop.” She smiles at him. “Calalli?”

As you fourself pointed out, she has passed the point of diminishing returns. Will she stop when she is down to 10 doses, 5?[
                            She tries one to three times per child not always using enhancer. She’d keep 10 to 20 for “work” I’d think.

"I left you here because you have been wrecking yourself trying to heal everyone, physically. Also, you and Luchaan are the most gifted killers at my disposal. I won't take both of you from here at the same time.
                            Period."
                            “Not wreck just drain. Tired. Rest fine. Can recharge too if critical. That why alway ready.”

"That will be a huge plus in the future. However, for this mission, we have to leave by midnight to get in position in time."
                            Its 4pm.
                            "The nature of the game is that we get to plan ahead about half the time."
                            However, with Lori's help, that will change to about 90%, and the number of targets will increase dramatically.
                            No now, but soon. You will be about to do half a dozen more ops like this before the end of 2011. And with the help of Lori and Kasakabe, they will be very smooth ops.
                            Lori tells him “Understood. With a suborbital flight path I can have the Isotta over the general area of the target you gave coordinates for in under two hours taking precautions. But, you are in command so it is your decision. I am just a pilot and intelligence officer for this mission. It is my duty as such to give you all the information I can and offer options.”
                            Damien can instantly tell she is very, very much a military professional. It is obvious that that sort of thing is very deeply ingrained into her being.

Kim, Rama and Damien look at each other and shrug.
                            "Not many secrets to keep from you folks, are there? Look, our situation is more secure here than it looks. We have our own private radar array protecting us here. Its hidden pretty well, that old tower at the other end of the runway is the antenna on this side."
                            Lori tells Damien “After we are done here could you join me in my quarters for a personal meeting? I have something I wish to show you alone for now.”
                            Lori’s quarters are exactly what she wanted. Antiseptic and artificial. It’s like entering a hospital surgical theater. She even asks he remove his shoes at the door.
                            Once inside she has him sit where she can operate her spy gear and show him some of the displays. She brings up a 360 degree holodisplay using it. On it he can see a map of Southeast Asia. “I can expand it to cover the planet but that is unnecessary for this demonstration. What I am going to show you few non-Ginsharians have been privileged to see. Normally this is highly classified for us but the situation dictates I show it to you.”
                            Lori reaches out and “touches” one of the moving lights / markers on the display. She seems to draw towards them. “This is a Singapore F-16 military airplane in flight. Would you like to know what it is doing?”
                            She puts the marker back. She touches another in Japan.
                            “This is a Japanese business man named Hiroshi Katamuri in his Lexus driving on the Matsuyama Expressway. He is talking on his cell phone. I can give you his destination if you like. He has it programmed into his vehicle‘s navigation system.”
                            Damien sits almost dumbfounded mouth slightly open.
                            “Yes, I am the equivalent of what you would call a ‘super computer.’ My equipment was designed to allow me to monitor any electronic information system on worlds far more complex than this one.
                            As part of my duties I know all about you and everyone here. That way I can better plan and protect you.
                            This system will notify me wherever I am if there is a critical threat to us. Your radar is… cute.
                            Sorry Mister Damien. I thought it best to show you just who you are actually dealing with. You have been more than kind to take us in and you have kept us from constant attacks by Pariah’s Nemesis. For that we are grateful beyond measure. In return we will offer our services to protect you and yours.”
                            Lori smiles at him. “That I promise as Kapitan Lori Sixteen of the Ginsharian Navy. Murotsu Kasakabe of the Owato Clan of Ral Rantha has done the same.”
                            (for your comparison see Matsu Sekirei 02 since you are using that series as one)

"Can't help you with that."
                            But days later, Dannon has an idea. She has been reading up on Space relentlessly since you made her your little helper. "Dig a cave on the Moon."
                            The earth's moon is less dense and has fewer heavy elements than any other celestial body in this system relative to its size. This might not be a bad idea.

Or, you can just wing it.
                            Lori would probably say building a spaceship would be easier. They do have the Isotta to haul materials to space with… The downside is someone will probably notice…

Affordable space-travel for a world that is refusing to make the sacrifices needed to develop it by its own efforts?
                            Kim is going to want to discuss the ethical merits of that with Kotomi some day soon.
                            She is unlikely to get much moralizing from Lori or Murotsu on this but both will willingly tell her about their universe.

Damien walks them back to one of the crated Spits, and opens one end to let them see the nose and part of the engine. "This aircraft fought in World War 2 as part of the Czech Wing of the Royal Air Force. Those exiles fought with one Empire to defeat the one that had occupied their homes and enslaved their people. When they eventually won, they flew their war-birds home, and a few years later these same aircraft were transferred to Israel for the dawn of that little nation's brilliant struggle to exist. After that, they were sold to Burma, where they were simply left to rot by a corrupt Kingdom that was rotting away itself... until we brought them here. Now, they are treasured relics that we sell to the highest bidder under the assumption that the highest bidder will be the ones to treasure them most."

(all of the above is accurate re; the Burma Spits)

He walks you over to the Focke-Wulf.
                            "We don't know much about the history of this one, but it fought in the same skies 70 years ago, on the other side. Indulge me if you will, and do as I do."
                            He simply puts his hand on the old fighter. The tactile sensation will be different for each of them, but things made in Germany during that time do feel distinctive. Smooth and rough at the same time, as if carefully done and not quite finished as well... its hard to describe. There is an undeniable presence about this thing, as is the case with Pariah.
                            This thing of metal and glass and rubber has a history.

"Well, yes, but there are things to be fiddled with and adjusted. Personally, I think its a Lemon, but Kim has other ideas."
                            The guns are fakes, dumb iron bolted in place to give the plane proper balance, and that's a drop-tank, not a bomb.

"If you have any free time, you are welcome to give Kim a hand with this old beast."
                            Lori says she is not an engineer and not (hesitating a moment) programmed for that. You would be better off hiring someone she says. “I will help pay if you like” she adds. “I think I would like to try flying it.”
                            Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 12 Oct 13, 02:02.

Comment

• Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                              She points her hand at Damien (a single or two fingered pointing is an insult in Ral Ranthan) “You learn.” She then taps her chest “Learn too. Never stop.” She smiles at him. “Calalli?”
                              "Only the dead have nothing to learn."

Lori tells him “Understood. With a suborbital flight path I can have the Isotta over the general area of the target you gave coordinates for in under two hours taking precautions. But, you are in command so it is your decision. I am just a pilot and intelligence officer for this mission. It is my duty as such to give you all the information I can and offer options.”
                              Damien can instantly tell she is very, very much a military professional. It is obvious that that sort of thing is very deeply ingrained into her being.
                              "I need to be in both places, so I have to ride and so must Kasakabe. All three of us can't fit, not with my gear. Why don't you stay here and give us the overhead view and advise as we go?"

Lori tells Damien “After we are done here could you join me in my quarters for a personal meeting? I have something I wish to show you alone for now.”
                              Lori’s quarters are exactly what she wanted. Antiseptic and artificial. It’s like entering a hospital surgical theater. She even asks he remove his shoes at the door.
                              Once inside she has him sit where she can operate her spy gear and show him some of the displays. She brings up a 360 degree holodisplay using it. ..... In return we will offer our services to protect you and yours.”
                              Lori smiles at him. “That I promise as Kapitan Lori Sixteen of the Ginsharian Navy. Murotsu Kasakabe of the Owato Clan of Ral Rantha has done the same.”
                              (for your comparison see Matsu Sekirei 02 since you are using that series as one)
                              Yeah... what he just said, double now!
                              That's a lot to take in... but now he will be able to cut loose both generators, the back-up as well as the primary.

Damien has a grin that is showing way too many teeth now, you just gave him Christmas on a platter... but two things temper his mood.
                              "I suppose you will tell us about this Nemesis of his, and yours, someday. I just hope you do before it bites us on the ass."
                              and-
                              "You are appreciated, more than you know. However," and for the only time, he touches her, gently lifting Lori's chin to make sure she is looking at him and not the computer screen for a moment. "Protect us as you like, but you cannot protect us from everything. Should something terrible happen to any of us, never blame yourself. And don't forget, it is Kotomi that needs you most of all. Look first to her needs."

That's saying something considerable. Lori will have delved into his past by now. It is known that he had about 2 dozen friends and/or close associates from the 1970s and 80s.
                              Not a single of of them is still alive today.

Lori would probably say building a spaceship would be easier. They do have the Isotta to haul materials to space with… The downside is someone will probably notice…
                              Rama- "Haven't they ever heard of De-gaussing?"
                              Damien- "I'm sure they have, let's stop pestering them."

Lori says she is not an engineer and not (hesitating a moment) programmed for that. You would be better off hiring someone she says. “I will help pay if you like” she adds. “I think I would like to try flying it.”
                              Interesting that the 2 humans had no visible reaction, but the Synthetic is now enthusiastic.
                              Just as well, the kids no longer see her as a "robot", really. They think that her ability to shut off emotions is rather enviable. You'd know why if you ever spent a night in the main house, and dealt with the nightmares that caue many sleepless nights for some of the kids and most of the adults trying to deal with it all.

The Twins are already on their way to the Turkish target, a bordello with an attached Clinic and a Disco (dance hall) which is considered the more lucrative target. "We are flexible enough to go with either an accidental case of arson, or a terrorist attack, whichever covers our tracks better."

There will be no subterfuge in Moldova, the point of origin will be dealt with in a personal and utterly ruthless way. There is more than enough chaos in that country to cover for this sort of violence... which is why we have some do-gooders so conveniently placed nearby.
                              Due to time restraints I didn't want to get too deep into the tactical side here, we have more than enough character interactions to cover.

(edited key points)
                              Last edited by The Exorcist; 12 Oct 13, 18:52.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

• Chris looks at her rather incredulously. "You expect me to let you turn me into a bat, and hope that you don't die before you can turn me back?" This is a sort of weird that he's never even thought of before, much less seen. "If you do that whole bat thing, can you carry some other objects on you and they show up when you change back?" (In case you want to move faster, Chris is implying carrying his shotgun and an old anti-tank grenade).

When she looks at him kind of quizzically, Chris shrugs and says "A distraction is in order...and I don't like *ahem* flying into some place. If there's only that few people, a drunk Italian looking for a nice place to stargaze will do without the potential discomfort. All I have to do is head up the path, and then get stuck......"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X