No announcement yet.

Chapter 2; Something Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lori is allowed to leave, and Caupanna goes with her with the usual solicitous arm around Lori and whatever it is that women whisper to each other at times like these.
    Upstairs and across a porch (this compound is made up of many small buildings rather than a couple of large ones, to maximize air-flow in this hot, humid climate) you will arrive at the large common room, and the kids that are waiting for you.
    "She's here!"
    "She's early!"
    "So pretty!"
    They surround Lori and guide her to the nicest chair in the place, it smells faintly like Kim.

This is the one I was looking for earlier-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVT3UYGCPI

Actually, it would be more like this-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oKen1cWCx4

If you don't have the time, its a story about an android (a pretty stereotypical one) that became overwhelmed by the responsibilities placed upon it and caused a shift in reality that turned it into a normal girl. Its actually rather well done, so much better than the series that I never bothered with the series at all, and that doesn't hurt the movie much.

Once Lori is gone, Kim glances at Kasakabe and drops her Blackberry on the marble floor, then casually grinds it to splinters under her heel. "It occurs to me that these damned things were responsible for the death of the spoken language in the future."

Damien nods, "Inevitable, perhaps, but it occurs to me that the way we speak makes us sound like Shakespearean Play-actors to them."

The sword she was admiring is a Kilidj, the type used in the Balkans 500 years ago to smash its way through Ottoman or Christian armor and slice what was underneath in one blow.
    The last men to use it was a fool that thought he could use it to threaten the very kids Damien had come for.

"Want? Take, make scabbard." He says in similar clipped tones.
    "Use."

By the way, your Clairvoyance was a little dim here, you could only "see" what was in this room.

"We will have to have a guest cottage ready for them to use after lunch, just a couple hours from now." Vondonnna goes to do his bidding, and then he points to Kotomi and asks Kasakabe;
    "What need, what do?"
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"388? I might have to ask you for a history lesson sometime" Chris replies, his casualness not quite covering his confusion at the events of the day.

"Well" Chris says, spreading his hands onto the table. "If you think it'll help. I got hired for a job, fairly simple deal in Peru. Go kill some guy, collect the money, and leave. Turned out that the guy I was sent to kill wasn't some fancy drug lord or rebel leader, but one heck of a good sniper....nearly got me, even with the ancient rifle he was using. Had a container with him. Big, looked like a gourd. He seemed to be rather protective of it, and since my client was more than a little shady, I took the liberty of not mentioning it and then following my usual protocol of riding a cargo plane back stateside."

He lets that sink in somewhat, as he takes another bite. "By the way, this is a good salad, and I'm not much for salad." One look at the 'elf' and he can tell there's an "AND?!" in the air. "Oh, yeah, flew back to the East Coast, figured I'd drive home from there. On the way back something, something very big, took the gourd, and left me with a half dozen gashes in the bed of my truck. Looked a lot like claws if you asked me, but I didn't want to think about that. It would be impossible, right?"
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        "388? I might have to ask you for a history lesson sometime"
        "Of which world? I've called two home and this ain't one of them."

"Well" Chris says, spreading his hands onto the table. "If you think it'll help. I got hired for a job, fairly simple deal in Peru....
        When you mention that place she dives for her bag and pulls out one of those little, high-detail Nat Geo maps of the world. She has 3 places circled in highlighter.
        She points at Peru, "There?"
        The other places circled are the Gulf of Siam (which is the global opposite of Peru) and in a lesser way, the Black Hills of South Dakota, which you just left, and the Transylvanian Alps.

...and left me with a half dozen gashes in the bed of my truck. Looked a lot like claws if you asked me, but I didn't want to think about that. It would be impossible, right?"
        "I dunno, this is your world, not mine. How big were the claws-marks?" she holds her fingers a few inches apart, and then changes the distance as Chris indicates. Wider and wider, until; "What, like a Dragon? Oh get real!" she says, pretty much exactly as you yourself would have said in a similar situation.

"You stayed up all the while as I sleeped, didn't you?" She shakes her head and takes you by the arm. "MY turn, you look ****-like but I didn't want to say anything." As you bump into her she looks down at herself with an 'oh, yeah' sort of expression and shrugs. "Get rest, I watch, then we go." And after pushing Chirs down on the bed she gets your boots and asks "You sleep naked or like that now?"
        Taking charge seems natural for her, to say the least.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Chris nods as she talks about multiple planets. Either it's exhaustion or he's just getting used to everything being completely weird at this point.

"Yeah, that's the place, or close enough. I never went to the exact point, found my target somewhere between Lima and there"

With her prodding, and over a day without sleep bugging him, Chris does submit to laying down. "I think I'll sleep in my clothes, since we're likely to need to move fast if we have to move." Chris does array his weapons on the bedside table, and lays down with his favorite Colt .357 under the pillow in his shirt and trousers, the rest of his clothes hanging on a chair.

Comment

.... with his favorite Colt .357 under the pillow in his shirt and trousers, the rest of his clothes hanging on a chair.
            Its curious that they both have the same taste in Pistols, evne if her's has different hardware on it. Its her only pistol, she has a variety of knives and a curious little 3-section staff for close-in work.

8 hours later the sun is coming up again and the TV is off. And sure enough, she is asleep and halfway draped over you. At least she is wearing something... your spare T-shirt.
            Chris scans the room, and there is a faint glow along the frames of the door and window. Traps... you know instinctively, but as to how they might work, well, that's her department.

You only glanced away from her for a couple of seconds, but when you look back and her face, inches from yours, she has gone from sound asleep to very much awake and looking straight into your eyes. Her look is a hard, neutral one, until she shifts to leave... and her leg brushes something else that is hard. She seems surprised, and pleased, if her eyes are reading true. Without hesitating or being very forceful about it, she reverses herself and comes in closer, straddling him and shucking the T-shirt. She goes in for an experimental, playful kiss, and if Chris lets to go any further there will be no turning back.

Later...
            Certain things seem to be missing, until Sushulana opens the door and there are some clothes, cleaned and neatly folded.
            "Good work for good tips." She comments, putting on a leather head-band that will hold her hair in place over her ears.

It may be quicker and less expensive to buy a local car than rent one the usual way.

Both your location and your destination are far from the main roads, so you will have most of the day ahead of you on the go. Yes, she can drive, like an impatient Italian. Plenty of time for chat, and NO, she is not going to be 'weird' about what happened. Not very different at all, in fact. Its more like some sort of peace treaty has been arranged (or not, as the case may be).

Your destination;

The other side is even worse, naturally; one winding road in full sight of the top for most of the way.

"The temple, NOT the castle, in case you were wondering." Sushulana helpfully mentions.

Why do days that start off so well have to end like that so often?
            The world wonders...
            Last edited by The Exorcist; 07 Oct 13, 00:38.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Once the three settle into their new surroundings they all get back to working on their current dilemma each in their own way.

Kasakabe right off makes it clear that talking to her like she was an illiterate cavewoman isn’t about to fly. After a ‘hot’ moment she manages, with Lori’s help, to explain her accent is due to her being Ral Ranthan and not speaking “Imperial” or “Solomani” (Lori explains these are the rough equivalent of Terran English) very well.
              Lori loads a Ral Ranthan dictionary and language guide on one of Kim’s computers from a perscomm. “If you wish to learn Ral Ranthan I have put a guide on your computer for you.”

The sword Damien offered her is accepted with grace. She holds it out in both hands bowing. “Scemcsir salamat baa äbädi! (This) scimitar (will be) victorious now (and) forever (afterwards)!

Kasakabe also tells the two that Lori decides what they need. Tapping herself “Kill people.”

Over the next few weeks Kotomi and Lori develop a list of supplies they will need for their activities. Lori also tells, and invites Kim, and other adults she and Damien might allow to, to go with her on several trips into space to tap an array of satellites along with placing a few of her own spy toys there. Damien is told he can’t go simply because she lacks a vacuum suit his size. “Sorry, all we have with us are women’s sizes, the Terran ones are too bulky for use in the Isotta…”
              At first Damien worried about her even doing this. “Do not worry. I am immune to most mental psionic techniques and it only takes six minutes fourteen seconds to reach low orbit. The gravcoupe is invisible to electronic detection with Terran technology. She also takes routes to orbit to minimize their visual and electronic detection like heading to the open Pacific or going into orbit from the South Pole.

She always checks her passenger’s vac suit very carefully and warns them not to mess with things. “Please do not leave the vehicle or unstrap yourself in zero gee. I do not want to take any chances without knowing you are capable of functioning in such an environment.”

One of the first things Lori asks for is two tanks of liquid hydrogen, ultra pure.

She explains that this is necessary to refuel the gravcoupe, her laser carbine, and the two power cubes they have.

Much to the concern of Kim, in particular, Kotomi then Lori (after Kotomi has already spilled the beans) explain her situation with needing anagathics.
              “Lori requires these to stay alive! She told me that back in Pasadena. She only has a bit more than a year’s supply left now. We have to make more!” Kotomi nearly pleads to the two.
              “While these are normally used for life extension, in my case, as a Ginsharian, I require a weekly dose to remain stable and functioning. Kotomi and I have already determined it should be possible to manufacture more as the necessary precursors are available and our equipment will provide the required zero gravity field for manufacture.”

Kasakabe after just a few days becomes bored with the routine. So she concocts something to keep herself busy. She rounds up the kids and starts training them in Ral Ranthan martial arts. They are willing learners.
              Kim and Damien for a minute at first object to her using corporal punishment for every mistake the kids make but come to realize she is doing it as part of the training and not really hurting them.
              The kids quickly learn not to hide or run from her as she inevitably hunts them down and gives the offender a thrashing for it. They soon live in fear of her wooden sword much like a Catholic nun with a yardstick. It is impressive to seem them bow to the adults and offer a polite greeting as they pass.
              Damien and Kim also recognize that Kasakabe is teaching them not just martial arts but to speak and write Ral Ranthan as well as that culture’s manners and customs. Damien and Kim walk by the courtyard where she makes them practice in precise formation after a couple of months go by to seem them all sitting lotus position with small tables out using a stylus and doing Ral Ranthan calligraphy.
              Kasakabe walks among them occasionally tapping one or another “Bax! Äsgär bax!” (Pay attention / focus! Warriors pay attention and focus!)
              She sees the two. “Warrior know pen and sword” she says explaining the lesson.
              “Admit it” Damien says. “You were wrong about the future of language and culture. It looks like it’s doing fine to me.”
              “We may be looking at her ancestors” Kim replies.

Lori stays in “pilot voice / mode” most of the time around the kids and proves to have near infinite patience with them. She tells Damien and the others she is just acting as instructed. The kids do seem enthralled with her being “synthetic” as they now call her.
              Lori in short order also taps into every electronic information system on the planet. Her ability to do this amazes Damien and Kim and they recognize her reach is insidious. “She makes the NSA look like clueless amateurs!”

One of her first ploys to make money is starting Bitcoins, and electronic form of money she first put out in California. She has used the shadow name Satoshi Nakamoto to do this. Kim finds that there is soon speculation on who that is but no one, FBI and Interpol included, can figure it out. Her ability to data mine bitcoins becomes renowned among a growing group of serious computer nerds and operators.
              She also sets up numerous financial accounts and begins trading on world markets keeping individual purchases small where no one takes much interest. But, what her deals lack in size she makes up for in volume. It is clear it would not be humanly possible to do what she is doing and the money she makes is astounding.

She also begins to compile a incredible mass of data that she somehow distills into something even Kim or Damien can comprehend on events worldwide that might tell them who Nemesis is and where to find him.
              A pattern emerges as the reports pile up. It is clear that the world is becoming increasingly unstable socially and financially. This would not normally be visible but Lori’s information clearly shows it is.

Kotomi requires a big list of items to get started on her research and making anagathics. For this they order the items from overseas locations and have them smuggled into the island. Damien and Lori agree that the three should not be present when one of these boats arrives to prevent their possibly being recognized.

When one particular boat comes in with a load Lori takes particular interest in it. It has considerably more electronics aboard than any of the other craft that have delivered a load. She calls Damien about this and is told “Leave them alone please. You really don’t need to put your spy stuff on that boat okay?”

“Understood. I will remove it immediately”

A few hours after leaving Benny, one of the crew, notices his gear was hacked. He looks at the single line of code on his computer system:

1302.36 Console $cd/65571263.73205121.6410031.72115026.45124673.154546 22.12437750.00123675...|superuser|; #exit g.sh; rm g.sh

He looks excitedly at Rock who hands him a beer. “Somehow somebody created their own ghost shell and then acquired super user privileges over my system! The weird part is that they did it from the console! That’s this terminal right here and I’ve been sitting here the whole time!
              What he did is impossible! Whoever it is has me beat as a hacker!
              What’s even stranger is that he didn’t do anything other than look around as far as I can tell. No program hacks, no viruses, no files copied, no data mining, no spyware, nothing! Even more amazing is there isn’t one trace of how he did it other than that one line of code in the Crontab! I couldn’t find any erased files, nothing backed up, no code to restore, nothing!
              I don’t think it was a government agency or some run-of-the-mill hacker.” Benny says with increasing excitement. “This is somebody way beyond that. I’ve heard rumors someone like this existed for months now but blew that off as crazy nonsense.
              But this proves he exists! Someone hacking systems just for the intellectual challenge of it! It’s incredible!
              Man! Would I love to meet this guy! He is a god of hacking!”

Now almost giddy Benny continues “It’s like being in the middle of the Sahara Desert for years and you come across a single foot print miles from anywhere. Where did it come from? How did it get there? Who’s is it?
              I get chills just thinking there’s someone out there to really match wits with! A real challenge for once!” He looks up at the compartment overhead “Please come back and try again! I’ll be waiting for you this time!”

After about a year of trying Kotomi with Lori’s help finally manages to make a batch of anagathics correctly. With the process down she starts another. Lori agrees with Kim to allow a small amount to be sold for ungodly amounts per dose on the black market. A year’s supply goes for hundreds of thousands of dollars and there is no end to demand particularly from female actresses and other celebrities who want to “Stay young forever.”
              Buyers are warned they will die if the secret gets out and it is traced back to them.

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 08 Oct 13, 22:03.

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
                Kasakabe right off makes it clear that talking to her like she was an illiterate cavewoman isn’t about to fly. After a ‘hot’ moment she manages, with Lori’s help, to explain her accent is due to her being Ral Ranthan and not speaking “Imperial” or “Solomani” (Lori explains these are the rough equivalent of Terran English) very well.
                Lori loads a Ral Ranthan dictionary and language guide on one of Kim’s computers from a perscomm. “If you wish to learn Ral Ranthan I have put a guide on your computer for you.”
                Cavewoman, eh? That will get some laughs, especially when some kid trys the same thing. No malice is involved, its just how she sounds to them.
                Kasakabe might want to learn a more relaxed form of speaking.

What Damien does object to is distracting the kids who are still learning English with another tongue. However, he did not count on how young folk will delight in a "secret" language. Once they realize what is going on, he and Kim will step back and allow everyone from the twins on down develop their own little lingo and the privacy it allows them.
                The reward will be a "battle-speak" that allows them to speak in the clear over the radio while on missions.
                Yes, even some of the younger teens take part in those.

The best linguist in the group is the otherwise unremarkable Ygraine (another self-chosen name), who was sold by her drug-addled parents in P.I. ten years ago just before they wandered into the Jungle, never to be seen again. One of the few non-Asians in the group, she has been learning languages by audio clues alone ever since.

The sword Damien offered her is accepted with grace. She holds it out in both hands bowing. “Scemcsir salamat baa äbädi! (This) scimitar (will be) victorious now (and) forever (afterwards)!
                Something nobody knew until you started messing with it; it will slice through Kevlar like cardboard if swung just right... but its awfully big and heavy.

Kasakabe also tells the two that Lori decides what they need. Tapping herself “Kill people.”
                Now that takes people aback. Damien starts to worry about what sort of influence you might be having on already damaged young spirits.

At first, Kim will be spending more time with Kasabe than Damien (somewhat frustrating to him, he has work he wants to do with Muro, however... this is important too) and gently attempts to make her see that nobody really needs to kill anyone, not for your own sake.
                She is patient and persuasive, and tries to expand the world of Kasakabe. She is trying to find something that woman is talented at, and can enjoy, that does not involve killing people.

Its up to you what that turns out to be.

“Sorry, all we have with us are women’s sizes, the Terran ones are too bulky for use in the Isotta…”
                She always checks her passenger’s vac suit very carefully and warns them not to mess with things. “Please do not leave the vehicle or unstrap yourself in zero gee. I do not want to take any chances without knowing you are capable of functioning in such an environment.”

One of the first things Lori asks for is two tanks of liquid hydrogen, ultra pure.
                The twins are adventurous and highly intelligent (and its a very real fact that they are being groomed to take over this operation some day) however... they are rather more buxom than the previous wearers of the suits, and they are both prone to space-sickness.
                The best candidate turns out to be Dannon, rail-thin and so adaptable that you could swear she was born for this sort of thing. Tall for just 14 as well, she is highly obedient and smart enough to get the jobs done.

Just try to time your take-offs for cloudy nights and all will be well.

She explains that this is necessary to refuel the gravcoupe, her laser carbine, and the two power cubes they have.
                Yes, we meant to ask about that Buck Rogers bit of hardware. It looked like a tranq-gun at first.
                What can it do, and is it too flashy to help with urban raids?

Much to the concern of Kim, in particular, Kotomi then Lori (after Kotomi has already spilled the beans) explain her situation with needing anagathics.
                You called that one right.
                The great thing is, Damien's network is so sophisticated that he can find anything you could want. The LOX comes in samples, one from Germany and another from the US. Since you wanted pure, you should test them to see which is better. And, whatever you choose, the next batch is labeled as coming from Japan, and yet identical to what you picked.

Kasakabe after just a few days becomes bored with the routine. So she concocts something to keep herself busy. She rounds up the kids and starts training them in Ral Ranthan martial arts. They are willing learners. Naturally, however....
                Kim and Damien for a minute at first object to her using corporal punishment for every mistake the kids make but come to realize she is doing it as part of the training and not really hurting them.
                Correction; getting smacked is not surprising at all to abused children, even if they have been given a break from that here.
                Kim wonders if Kasakabe understands what sort of places the kids have come from, and will explain it to her, in some detail. Kim herself has 2 small scars where her ovaries used to be. Cheap birth-control to a Burmese warlord, but it was the sight of those scars that set Damien on the war-path.

The kids quickly learn not to hide or run from her as she inevitably hunts them down and gives the offender a thrashing for it.
                Not so much as you would think, and some of the kids are not going to take part in this. You remind them of the "bad people" too much or are simply not suited to this sort of thing.
                Luchaan (the Romanian form of Lucien) is your most dedicated student, with Nin and little Nico not far behind. You were training Nico for 3 days before you realized he has a plastic foot.

One of the 'unsuited' is tiny Sian, someone that might frighten even Kasakabe at times. She is timid and good at hiding, despite everyone's attempts to draw her out... Lori might have more luck with this one. Sian is badly scared, both from knives and fire, and part of her hair is missing.
                Her dedicated companion is Oaan, a high-spirited prankster.

There are other tutors here, and they don't seem to care for Kasabe much, but Damien keeps them quite and focused on their own tasks.

“Admit it” Damien says. “You were wrong about the future of language and culture. It looks like it’s doing fine to me.”
                “We may be looking at her ancestors” Kim replies.
                He nods and glances towards Kotomi "Have you noticed that the shapes of their skulls are the same?"

If you give me a little more to work with, I can do more for Kotomi. As it stands, she is getting all she needs and then some. Her only follower at this time is Rama, and he can be helpful with some things. He's also something of a Geek.

Lori stays in “pilot voice / mode” most of the time around the kids and proves to have near infinite patience with them. She tells Damien and the others she is just acting as instructed. The kids do seem enthralled with her being “synthetic” as they now call her.
                Lori in short order also taps into every electronic information system on the planet. Her ability to do this amazes Damien and Kim and they recognize her reach is insidious. “She makes the NSA look like clueless amateurs!”
                Yes, but you can't really find Damien's finances. There are a couple of dummy corps and pipelines, but no stored wealth to be seen from the net.
                All will be revealed eventually, just wait until you see his hangar!

One of her first ploys to make money is starting Bitcoins, and electronic form of money she first put out in California. She has used the shadow name Satoshi Nakamoto to do this. Kim finds that there is soon speculation on who that is but no one, FBI and Interpol included, can figure it out. Her ability to data mine bitcoins becomes renowned among a growing group of serious computer nerds and operators.
                She also sets up numerous financial accounts and begins trading on world markets keeping individual purchases small where no one takes much interest. But, what her deals lack in size she makes up for in volume. It is clear it would not be humanly possible to do what she is doing and the money she makes is astounding.
                Another things about BitCoins; it reveals what a bunch of gullible followers the humans of this world have become.
                Merrin will be sure to exploit that.

She also begins to compile a incredible mass of data that she somehow distills into something even Kim or Damien can comprehend on events worldwide that might tell them who Nemesis is and where to find him.
                A pattern emerges as the reports pile up. It is clear that the world is becoming increasingly unstable socially and financially. This would not normally be visible but Lori’s information clearly shows it is.
                A small crash should have happened already, but it did not.
                People, all over the world, seem to be clinging to the old system for one simple reason; convenience.

Now, this is important;
                I need it in text, if you ever try to explain about a mad Dragon and his plans, and the game he is playing here.
                You might want to wait a while, because #1; while robots are believable, Dragons are clearly crazy talk to the world-wise, #2 you don't have any actual proof that anything the Pariah told you about Merrin is true...
                Yes, the circumstantial evidence keeps piling up, but even the Loch Ness Monster hasn't been seen in ages.

ALL OF THIS BELOW WILL BE SAVED for reference to a later date.
                In my next post I will take you forward a year and change to let all this percolate and get set the way you want it. But, Black Lagoon is off the table until Andy gets back into the game.

Kotomi requires a big list of items to get started on her research and making anagathics. For this they order the items from overseas locations and have them smuggled into the island. Damien and Lori agree that the three should not be present when one of these boats arrives to prevent their possibly being recognized.

When one particular boat comes in with a load Lori takes particular interest in it. It has considerably more electronics aboard than any of the other craft that have delivered a load. She calls Damien about this and is told “Leave them alone please. You really don’t need to put your spy stuff on that boat okay?”

“Understood. I will remove it immediately”

A few hours after leaving Benny, one of the crew, notices his gear was hacked. He looks at the single line of code on his computer system:

1302.36 Console $cd/65571263.73205121.6410031.72115026.45124673.154546 22.12437750.00123675...|superuser|; #exit g.sh; rm g.sh

He looks excitedly at Rock who hands him a beer. “Somehow somebody created their own ghost shell and then acquired super user privileges over my system! The weird part is that they did it from the console! That’s this terminal right here and I’ve been sitting here the whole time!
                What he did is impossible! Whoever it is has me beat as a hacker!
                What’s even stranger is that he didn’t do anything other than look around as far as I can tell. No program hacks, no viruses, no files copied, no data mining, no spyware, nothing! Even more amazing is there isn’t one trace of how he did it other than that one line of code in the Crontab! I couldn’t find any erased files, nothing backed up, no code to restore, nothing!
                I don’t think it was a government agency or some run-of-the-mill hacker.” Benny says with increasing excitement. “This is somebody way beyond that. I’ve heard rumors someone like this existed for months now but blew that off as crazy nonsense.
                But this proves he exists! Someone hacking systems just for the intellectual challenge of it! It’s incredible!
                Man! Would I love to meet this guy! He is a god of hacking!”

Now almost giddy Benny continues “It’s like being in the middle of the Sahara Desert for years and you come across a single foot print miles from anywhere. Where did it come from? How did it get there? Who’s is it?
                I get chills just thinking there’s someone out there to really match wits with! A real challenge for once!” He looks up at the compartment overhead “Please come back and try again! I’ll be waiting for you this time!”

After about a year of trying Kotomi with Lori’s help finally manages to make a batch of anagathics correctly. With the process down she starts another. Lori agrees with Kim to allow a small amount to be sold for ungodly amounts per dose on the black market. A year’s supply goes for hundreds of thousands of dollars and there is no end to demand particularly from female actresses and other celebrities who want to “Stay young forever.”
                Buyers are warned they will die if the secret gets out and it is traced back to them
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Interesting note on the pistols. And Chris might have considered whether she loads hers with full-power .357, or with the more common .38spl. Hers is a bit different though, having that big cylinder, and being double/single action. Chris' wheel guns are single actions with a rounded front sight and polished internals for sure and light action.

Chris returns the kiss, thinking "what the hell, it's not like I've gotten any in a while anyway." Afterwards he showers and gets all of his gear prepped up, including the stuff in his saddlebags, which he takes time to inspect and pack up with the more interesting items on the bottom. He also takes time to properly tie up the rifle and shotgun, wrapped in a blanket where they're nearly invisible to the untrained and unaware, but the shotgun is relatively quick to grab if need be (and unlike the rifle, loaded), and ties the blanket off with some cord.

After some wandering and much haggling, Chris manages to get an '04 Alfa Romeo 156, with the 2.5L and 6 Speed at a decent price. His time in Europe and knowledge of cars not made by Germans helped him pick something good without paying the cost of a BMW.

Later....after swapping drivers a couple of times, Chris now behind the wheel....

Looking at the hill and the road, Chris asks "And what exactly are we supposed to do at the temple?"

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
                    Cavewoman, eh? That will get some laughs, especially when some kid trys the same thing. No malice is involved, its just how she sounds to them.
                    Kasakabe might want to learn a more relaxed form of speaking.
                    Kasakabe isn’t really much on talk. One reason she retains a heavy Ral Ranthan accent.

What Damien does object to is distracting the kids who are still learning English with another tongue. However, he did not count on how young folk will delight in a "secret" language. Once they realize what is going on, he and Kim will step back and allow everyone from the twins on down develop their own little lingo and the privacy it allows them.
                    The reward will be a "battle-speak" that allows them to speak in the clear over the radio while on missions.
                    Yes, even some of the younger teens take part in those.
                    Both Kasakabe and Lori would understand this. If Kim or Damien see Ginsharian they will recognize it is a real time unbreakable code in itself being “written” in octal as essentially computer code. Given time someone could break the code down but not on the fly and that is what would be needed for real-time message traffic.

The best linguist in the group is the otherwise unremarkable Ygraine (another self-chosen name), who was sold by her drug-addled parents in P.I. ten years ago just before they wandered into the Jungle, never to be seen again. One of the few non-Asians in the group, she has been learning languages by audio clues alone ever since.
                    Kasakabe isn’t as vicious as she usually appears with all this. She would try and draw out the best in the kids to be warriors. She’s the sort of warrior underneath you find in Miyomoto Musashi (Book of Five Rings). Sort of the warrior poet.
                    The two phrases below are typical of her philosophical thinking that underlies that vicious exterior.

In death you will discover if your life had meaning

The death of a tyrant releases the imagination of those he oppressed

Something nobody knew until you started messing with it; it will slice through Kevlar like cardboard if swung just right... but its awfully big and heavy.
                    Kasakabe’s own weapons will slice through 20th / 21st century body armor like butter. They will tear through light metal plate or puncture (but not slice) ceramic armor of this period. When she claims “Bring Marine, lot Marine in battle armor with fusion weapon” she means it. By current standards light armored vehicles and lots of supporting troops would be best. The police do not stand a chance versus her.

Now that takes people aback. Damien starts to worry about what sort of influence you might be having on already damaged young spirits.

At first, Kim will be spending more time with Kasabe than Damien (somewhat frustrating to him, he has work he wants to do with Muro, however... this is important too) and gently attempts to make her see that nobody really needs to kill anyone, not for your own sake.
                    She is patient and persuasive, and tries to expand the world of Kasakabe. She is trying to find something that woman is talented at, and can enjoy, that does not involve killing people.

Its up to you what that turns out to be.
                    Kasakabe finds a copy of the book Go Rin No Sho and has Kotomi translate it (it is in Japanese) for her. She recognizes it as a variant of the book she and the crew of the Orta Laki San (a Ral Ranthan merchant starship she was on) got for the Captain, Kai Hao.
                    With great patience and skill she translates it with Kotomi’s (or someone’s) help into Ral Ranthan and then wants to add to it not just more wisdom but even art being taken with the minimalist style of art in it. “Warrior poet, artist, criminal, many thing!” she tells Kim.
                    Between practice, tutoring her students, and now her writing it is amazing she has anytime left for sleep.
                    One thing they find with her is she insists everyone disarm entirely for meals. She dumps a small shop’s worth of blades, and other edged weapons on a tray at these.

The twins are adventurous and highly intelligent (and its a very real fact that they are being groomed to take over this operation some day) however... they are rather more buxom than the previous wearers of the suits, and they are both prone to space-sickness.
                    Their figures are not a problem as Lori is amply endowed with a jaw dropping figure shall we say. As for space sickness, that would be a big issue and a show stopper taking them after the first occurrence.

The best candidate turns out to be Dannon, rail-thin and so adaptable that you could swear she was born for this sort of thing. Tall for just 14 as well, she is highly obedient and smart enough to get the jobs done.

Just try to time your take-offs for cloudy nights and all will be well.
                    Nights, no moon, staying NOE until well out to sea and out of sight…
                    Lori trains her using the grav belts they have in basic ZG movement so she can eventually work outside the vehicle. A large open barn or other building where they can dart around would be necessary. Kasakabe and even some of the other kids might be given a chance to try this too.
                    (note: They only have two belts so it’s one at a time).

Yes, we meant to ask about that Buck Rogers bit of hardware. It looked like a tranq-gun at first.
                    What can it do, and is it too flashy to help with urban raids?
                    Lori explains that the laser rifle versus armor will saw through anything but the heaviest composite (Cobbham) armor on a vehicle at up to 500 meters. There is no personal armor defense against it. It has 200 1 second pulsed bursts at maximum output on a charge. “Against the heaviest armored vehicles on Terra now it might take me several hits to get a penetration.”
                    The sighting system is like a HUD in a fighter but more complex and can be linked to her “smart” glasses and a perscomm for integration into a battlefield information system. Lori explains how she can link it to a RATS drone for observation and firing on concealed targets too.
                    Lori says the maximum range is about two thousand kilometers but it depends on the atmospherics and other factors. “One thousand meters is reliable in an atmosphere and five hundred is near full effect. In space it will fire to about one hundred kilometers accurately.”
                    She also says the beam is invisible to Terran IR sensors and the naked eye although the firer can see it in the display. She says she can also reduce the power significantly for use in antipersonnel fire, or even more for things like target designation. The wavelength is adjustable over a range to avoid detection as well as for other tactical purposes like multiple firers etc.
                    For targeting and such the range is LOS and could be many miles if necessary.
                    As she tells him how her gear works together Damien becomes firmly convinced she is potentially a one woman army with what she has.
                    Damien also discovers Kasakabe has a very high tech bow with her and 25 high tech guided arrows (think Sidewinder versus a person and more vicious) for it. She demonstrates one shot for him hitting a hidden target around two corners from over 300 meters away.

You called that one right.
                    The great thing is, Damien's network is so sophisticated that he can find anything you could want. The LOX comes in samples, one from Germany and another from the US. Since you wanted pure, you should test them to see which is better. And, whatever you choose, the next batch is labeled as coming from Japan, and yet identical to what you picked.
                    Just ultra-pure hydrogen in liquid gasses initially. Kotomi’s list is more difficult.

Not so much as you would think, and some of the kids are not going to take part in this. You remind them of the "bad people" too much or are simply not suited to this sort of thing.
                    Luchaan (the Romanian form of Lucien) is your most dedicated student, with Nin and little Nico not far behind. You were training Nico for 3 days before you realized he has a plastic foot.

One of the 'unsuited' is tiny Sian, someone that might frighten even Kasakabe at times. She is timid and good at hiding, despite everyone's attempts to draw her out... Lori might have more luck with this one. Sian is badly scared, both from knives and fire, and part of her hair is missing.
                    Her dedicated companion is Oaan, a high-spirited prankster.
                    Kasakabe only takes the willing or somewhat willing. As soon as she sees some of the kids are injured she questions them personally and individually in private. “How happen? Who did?” That sort of thing. She is clearly incensed by the abuse she is told about.
                    In Sian’s case in particular, but with some of the others too she uses her psionic awareness abilities to alleviate their pain and even heal the worst of their injuries. While Sian’s scars are still visible the pain and impairment they cause her are vastly reduced as is the scaring itself.
                    She tells Sian “Heal physical. You heal mental. Help ask, K?”
                    Each time Kasakabe does one of these “treatments” anyone can see it really takes a lot out of her. She appears absolutely exhausted afterwards and she does not try again typically for days; but she does. As the weeks go by there is rising concern she is trying too much to fix things that are seriously damaged.
                    The adults are afraid to ask her directly about it knowing how she can be very temperamental on personal questions so Kim asks Lori about this discretely.
                    “Kasakabe has a psionic skill that is generally referred to as ‘awareness’ in our time. She can heighten her own abilities, strength, stamina, reflexes for example to super human levels. It is what allows her in part to be as good at what she does as she is. She can also heal injuries and eliminate exhaustion using this skill.
                    Is it not interesting that someone so dedicated to killing and death has such power to heal too? Kasakabe has considerable compassion for her friends and allies and no end of hatred for an enemy. It is part of her religion.”
                    I have asked her about her condition doing this. She assures me she will recover given time. She has also used much of her supply of psi enhancement drugs doing this. I do not believe she can continue to do that as her supply is getting low and she must keep some for our primary mission here.”

There are other tutors here, and they don't seem to care for Kasabe much, but Damien keeps them quite and focused on their own tasks.
                    Kasakabe would largely ignore them unless they were confrontational. If that happened it could be very ugly. At a minimum she would hold them in contempt for insulting her. At worst she would either kill them outright or challenge them to a duel over her honor being besmirched.

He nods and glances towards Kotomi "Have you noticed that the shapes of their skulls are the same?"

If you give me a little more to work with, I can do more for Kotomi. As it stands, she is getting all she needs and then some. Her only follower at this time is Rama, and he can be helpful with some things. He's also something of a Geek.
                    Some of the things she asks for include:
                    Large samarium-cobalt magnets. She says neodymium spin-melt sintered ones will do for experiments initially but the iron is going to be a problem. Sumotomo special metals is sourced by her.
                    Zirconium and hafnium wire in various sizes
                    Titanium sheet metal
                    Lanthanum (lots of this) as raw metal shapes.
                    Microwave waveguides in non-ferrous stainless steel (aluminum is unacceptable due to its low temperature melting point but might work in a pinch for experiments)
                    Travelling wave tubes. The higher the frequency and bigger the capacity the better.
                    Non-ferrous nickel and inconel tubing and fittings.
                    Two 480V 3 ph 100 kW 6 Mhz induction generators with extra capacitors and generator tubes.
                    Several oil diffusion type vacuum pumps, the bigger the better.
                    She explains everything has to be non-magnetic except those components that are designed to be magnets. Stray magnetic fields will ruin the experiments as will the presence of any atmosphere.
                    “If the antigrav stuff Lori has can’t produce a big enough or good enough field for me we may end up having to build a spaceship of some sort to get into real zero gravity. Lori says that gravity messes up these alternate universes big time. I was able to determine some of that myself in Pasadena before we left for Hong Kong so I know we’re going to need zero gravity for things to work.”

“What I am trying to do here is create a small alternate universe, one in the fourth or fifth dimension that works like the faster-than-light drives Lori has described to me…”
                    “We will need a top notch machine shop eventually too…”

Yes, but you can't really find Damien's finances. There are a couple of dummy corps and pipelines, but no stored wealth to be seen from the net.
                    All will be revealed eventually, just wait until you see his hangar!
                    Lori really is not trying to either. She is trying to make it so they pay their own way. She really does not want to impose on Damien if she can avoid it.

Another things about BitCoins; it reveals what a bunch of gullible followers the humans of this world have become.
                    Merrin will be sure to exploit that.
                    Look them up. This is a real thing and I just changed reality so Lori invented it. The timeline fits, as does her pseudo name, and everything…!

Now, this is important;
                    I need it in text, if you ever try to explain about a mad Dragon and his plans, and the game he is playing here.
                    You might want to wait a while, because #1; while robots are believable, Dragons are clearly crazy talk to the world-wise, #2 you don't have any actual proof that anything the Pariah told you about Merrin is true...
                    Yes, the circumstantial evidence keeps piling up, but even the Loch Ness Monster hasn't been seen in ages.
                    None of the three has brought this up. Lori and Murotsu have both seen numerous Alien beings including one to two meter long ant-like ones,

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...ad.php?t=24979

ones the size of a horse with four legs and a fifth protrusion that almost resemble a brittle star starfish (Hivers), and other types.

A “dragon” isn’t beyond their imagination as existing. They likely would consider something like this a variant of a race called Droyne.

However, neither is concerned with that particularly at the moment. They know Aliens do really exist and this is just another one. What they are interested in is finding where he is and then working on getting intelligence on what he’s doing and how, that sort of thing.

Comment

Romania, 2011

Interesting note on the pistols. And Chris might have considered whether she loads hers with full-power .357, or with the more common .38spl. Hers is a bit different though, having that big cylinder, and being double/single action. Chris' wheel guns are single actions with a rounded front sight and polished internals for sure and light action.
                      .357 loads, Hollow-points, and the hollow part has a little wax covering what she claims is Spider Venom. "Fresh," she sighs, "for now."
                      I thought you said it was a Python, they come in single action?

"what the hell, it's not like I've gotten any in a while anyway."
                      Sushulana seemed to need and enjoy it more than Chris did, and comes away from it strangely energized.

After some wandering and much haggling,
                      This set you back a bit, time-wise. Sure, you got a good car at a good price, but you have now reached your destination just before the sun starts going down, too late for any sort of recon in good light, and there is only one place to stay here in this village. Its is almost certainly a bad place to stay if you want to stay unknown because-

Chris now behind the wheel....

Looking at the hill and the road, Chris asks "And what exactly are we supposed to do at the temple?"
                      She gives you a bemused, and somewhat disappointed look. ."YOU are the one that wanted your girlfriend back. If you have changed your mind, then I guess we can just move on. That's the blanking safe house."
                      And nothing she has done since you left the shower suggests that changing your mind about Kendra would be a welcome development in her eyes. In fact, she's hard to read when it comes to that sort of thing.
                      Ah, but why would someone that's not human be easy to read?

"Temple" is what she called it, more likely it is a monastery that has been abandoned since the days of Stalin. Abandoned, and then passed through the hands of a variety of successors with a variety of uses for it.
                      The Castle is clearly a ruin, no roofing to speak of, but a great roost for a sniper. At the least a nice OP, even with just a few cameras it could keep the Monastery under observation 24/7.

This might be the sort of job that Chris would walk away from if he was alone, but he's not alone.
                      "Okay, my 24 hours is up, I work for you now. Plans?"
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

(Sorry for the short post, going to bed....and the Python is DA, but like many revolvers could be used SA if desired)

"Hmm", Chris says, "Ordinarily I'd say I don't have the assets for this sort of job on hand. Would you mind telling me what sort of skills or gear you can bring to the table? We need to get in, either unseen or with a convincing ruse, and then get out in a way that's either unseen or won't be unusual. With just two of us it's a bad idea to try to take down the building. And that's stone, so explosives will be very tricky to use there. Plus we have no current idea what the force count is inside." Chris ponders....

"Might be the best plan to get an idea of what's there, and then leave. We don't need to be hanging around too long, if those are CIA types they'll be a suspicious lot. But some sightseers that are gone by morning won't set them off too badly."

Comment

Natuna Besar, sometime going towards 2011

The two phrases below are typical of her philosophical thinking that underlies that vicious exterior.

In death you will discover if your life had meaning

The death of a tyrant releases the imagination of those he oppressed
                          Which makes her a big hit around here.
                          Kim asks if there are any famous people alive today that she would like to meet.
                          Funny thing, she takes any answer seriously...

Kasakabe finds a copy of the book Go Rin No Sho and has Kotomi translate it (it is in Japanese) for her. She recognizes it as a variant of the book she and the crew of the Orta Laki San
                          Actually, her book would be a variant on the previous book, wouldn't it?

One thing they find with her is she insists everyone disarm entirely for meals. She dumps a small shop’s worth of blades, and other edged weapons on a tray at these.
                          Oops, forgot to mention;
                          Every week they play a little game-
                          Yes, weapons are forbidden to the kids 16 & under at the table most of the time (an attack by a deranged chauffeur 5 years ago makes the adults wary of ever going unarmed, despite the fact that the staff has been trimmed to the bone). The time they are not comes once a week, when all the kids are allowed to try to try to hide a weapon that can't be found on them. If they succeed, they get an extra desert.
                          Its been months since anyone succeeded.

Nights, no moon, staying NOE until well out to sea and out of sight…
                          Lori trains her using the grav belts they have in basic ZG movement so she can eventually work outside the vehicle. A large open barn or other building where they can dart around would be necessary. Kasakabe and even some of the other kids might be given a chance to try this too.
                          (note: They only have two belts so it’s one at a time).
                          The hangar will be covered in the next post.
                          DON"T post until I get that out.

In space it will fire to about one hundred kilometers accurately.”
                          Yeah, but how the hell to you AIM it that far?

As she tells him how her gear works together Damien becomes firmly convinced she is potentially a one woman army with what she has.
                          Damien also discovers Kasakabe has a very high tech bow with her and 25 high tech guided arrows (think Sidewinder versus a person and more vicious) for it. She demonstrates one shot for him hitting a hidden target around two corners from over 300 meters away.
                          "Why no guns?"
                          He will have the De-Lisle refurbished and made serviceable again. Its a 45-ACP rifle, so silent that the loudest thing about firing it is the firing pin hitting the primer.
                          "If you don't like the noise..."

Just ultra-pure hydrogen in liquid gasses initially. Kotomi’s list is more difficult.
                          Not difficult, but problematic. See below.

Kasakabe only takes the willing or somewhat willing. As soon as she sees some of the kids are injured she questions them personally and individually in private. “How happen? Who did?” That sort of thing. She is clearly incensed by the abuse she is told about.
                          Some were even branded.
                          However, that one boy likes his foot, he can kick things as hard as he wants and it never hurts.
                          Its also handy for playing pranks on the people in town.

As the weeks go by there is rising concern she is trying too much to fix things that are seriously damaged.
                          Is it not interesting that someone so dedicated to killing and death has such power to heal too? Kasakabe has considerable compassion for her friends and allies and no end of hatred for an enemy. It is part of her religion.”
                          I have asked her about her condition doing this. She assures me she will recover given time. She has also used much of her supply of psi enhancement drugs doing this. I do not believe she can continue to do that as her supply is getting low and she must keep some for our primary mission here.”
                          It will be hard to stop, its is emerging that Sian could grow into one of those few true beauties of Chinese stock. She even tries to run away if Muro can't be dissuaded from healing her after the point of diminishing returns.
                          "Stop wasting your self!" She begs.

Damien has a more subtle and effective form of persuasion.
                          He, Luchaan and the twins simply are not there one day, and everyone just shrugs if you ask where they are. The next day, everyone is watching the news and cheer when a Saudi Prince's Yacht burn and sink with all hands off New Zealand.
                          Two days later they return with a darling Phillipeano girl, and Damien asks with a neutral tone; "Would you like to accompany us next time? If so, we will need you to be fully rested and of one mind, Kasakabe."

Some of the things she asks for include:
                          The problem with all that is the time it will take, both in ordering it and making sure the path does not lead back to this place. Those familiar with Her work will be able to read orders like that as a trail of bread-crumbs.

The generators are here already, as are certain other things.

Kotomi (only) will be shown the vault early on, but she has to be blindfolded part of the way in. Once there, she is shown a room that holds his "reserves", Gold, Silver, and other tangible things of worth.
                          The one he wants to show her is a couple of square-ish lumps of steel and a long tube of the same material. They are badly corroded but she can make out "Krupp, 1898" on one bit.

"These are come from one of the last reserves of high-grade steel left in the world that is untainted by man-made radiation that has been building up in the background since the 1940s. They have been sitting in the muck at the bottom of Scapa Flow since 1919, and I came by them in barter (we do a lot of that here) and I thought of them when you mentioned all those exotic materials and machining stuff. NASA uses this material for making delicate instruments, do you have any use for it?"

What it is includes 2 breaches & blocks and a barrel for 105mm naval cannon, over a ton of steel.

“What I am trying to do here is create a small alternate universe, one in the fourth or fifth dimension that works like the faster-than-light drives Lori has described to me…”
                          “We will need a top notch machine shop eventually too…”
                          "Looks like we will have to call on our contacts in Japan for that, its been..."
                          He looks at his watch,
                          "... 5 years since I did that last, so we should be fine with another call in that direction. Hmmm... we will need a top-notch electrician too. Hey Ichinose', you know of any good wire-men back in the old country?"
                          Kotomi blushes and shakes her head.
                          Since she must be hiding something, Damien leaves it for the other girls to handle.

Lori really is not trying to either. She is trying to make it so they pay their own way. She really does not want to impose on Damien if she can avoid it.
                          Oh, the project itself (what you have told him of it) is fascinating and he can see why people would be after Kotomi. A small alternate universe? Who wouldn't be thrilled at the idea of that... and at the same time determined not to allow such a thing to fall into the wrong hands.

Look them up. This is a real thing and I just changed reality so Lori invented it. The timeline fits, as does her pseudo name, and everything…!
                          Oh, I am very much aware of that.
                          Mega-Kudos for coming up with that one, I'll have to give you something good for that one.
                          Its my personal opinion of the concept that got in the way.

And, the reward I give you is that this will net you a massive profit even after it crashes, the way it did not so long ago.

What they are interested in is finding where he is and then working on getting intelligence on what he’s doing and how, that sort of thing.
                          You are now taking on too many things at once.
                          I need you to prioritize. Not saying you can't do all these things and also take part in daily life as well , but I need to know how each of you are stacking all this up... for the first year.

I also have a possible use for the Sekeri thing you suggested for me, turns out I have a reason NOT to want those 6 hours back after all.
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Uncharacteristically, on a particularly cloud free night with an incredible display of stars Kotomi finds Lori sitting on the beach by herself. She seems lost in looking at them.

“Miss home?” Kotomi asks quietly.
                            “Yes” Lori replies. “I so want to return to Mariposa and see my sisters, Ikki Ten, her daughter Kailei Ten, and my friends there.” She turns to look at Kotomi. “I am so tired of fighting.”

Kotomi hugs her and lays her head on Lori’s shoulder. “Which ones have you been to?”

Lori points to one. “That is Grand Endeavor. Kasakabe killed four men there. That is where she and I got to stay with Captain Hao and Kyllikki became my sister” she says with a smile. “I learned to swim there. That was wonderful. I shared Ginsharian chocolate with Ikki and Zan for the first time too! It is a wonderful memory. ”

She points at another. “That is the Sarkam system. Tanvir Faybo and his wife Zanetta rule that world. That is where Baron Jiayi Hao lives in my time. It is a beautiful world. I think you would like it there.”

Pointing to another. “That one is Kashasa. I served in our Navy there. It is the biggest arms bizarre for at least two hundred light years. I destroyed three unwelcome merchant ships there killing one hundred twenty three humans.” A tear falls down her cheek. “Sorry, I probably should not have pointed that system out.”

“That one is Binim. I met a very polite police inspector named Branagan there. It is a world on the edge of a war in my time.”

That bright one there is Abouka. It is a factory world of slave workers and a privileged elite. It was horrible and I was glad when Captain Shapurin departed it. I got to celebrate my second Made Day there. Lass Fifty Six made it very special.”

“That one just to the right of it, yes, that dim star there… That is Factory Rock on most star charts. My home planet, Mariposa, is there… I want so badly to go home…” Tears start to stream down Lori’s cheeks.

“I’m trying Lori, I really am!” Kotomi replies. “I think I want more than ever to see your home too after tonight.”

Comment

Natuna, 2009-2012

This is to nail down the base of operations that this place is becoming.
                              Other players should take note.

First of all, Lori, Muro, and Kotomi are given a "cabin" of thier own. It includes 2 bedrooms with 2 beds in each, a living room and bathroom as well as a kitchenette. If the furnishings are not of the right color or style, there are several others to choose from.
                              However, the lay-out will remain the same.

The Crypt is under the compound, as was the trophy room but deeper and more spartan. Its has not been used yet, a basic 20 x 40 room with many power hook-ups and 2 smaller side-rooms, and it can can be rigged as a class-6 laboratory in a few weeks.

There is another such chamber, a cave hewn from solid rock, at the other end of the island (a 2 hour drive unless you are in a hurry and kinda dumb) and His secret little dry-dock. The same one Dutch saw a while back. That one has access to all the salt & fresh Water you could want for cooling or other purposes.

The Hangar is where the good stuff is.
                              And, it really looks like nothing from the outside, nothing but a faded number to distinguish it from the others lined up along the weedy tarmac.

Rama is with you, looking as if he's about to show off his favorite toy... but when you glance at one of the high, grimy windows you see something that seems like it might be alive, but is impossibly huge.

"Oh, if you don't like snakes, you might want to wait at the door for a bit."
                              He pushes open the door... and a Python's head drops down from the rafters to face him from just two paces into the hangar. You can't see how long this thing is, but the head is the size of the head of a Kodiak Bear.
                              "Ah, hello Distinct Moo, how are you today?" Damien puts out his hand and pets the huge head, and says softly; "January, Orbital, Denominator." and the Snake relaxes, swinging back just a bit.
                              "Everyone, I would like you to meet Distinct Moo. We call him that because he claims to be haunted by a Cow that he ate some years ago."
                              This impossible reptile nods, and the tail lowers from the 5-meter high ceiling so that he can point at his mouth as he opens it. You hear something that sounds like a Cow, lowing from down a subway tunnel.
                              Those unblinking eyes seem to have a mournful look about them.

Just when you think that this could not be happening unless you were on some terrible drugs, you notice that Rama is straining so hard to hold back his laughter that there are tears in his eyes.

"Sorry folks, but the last time I told people what this was BEFORE they saw it, they doubted that this was a good security system. I dislike being doubted.
                              What you see is a 'Bot, and not a terribly sophisticated one by this year's standards. This is another barter item, from those folks in Japan I was going to have help with Kotomi's project. Moo here cannot leave the rafters where his current comes from, not that he'd have to, to reach anything in the hangar.
                              "Rama, safe mode." The boy pulls the little device he's had his hand on the whole time out of his pocket. "Everyone, put your hand on his head between the nostrils and speak 3 words that combine to at least 10 syllables, this will be your personal code for entry. Then follow me."

One mystery is soon solved, how he "married into money".
                              "Kim lead me to some buried treasure once we were able to overcome her tribe's little situation. She's the one that likes planes, not me, but I was able to see the value of these babies even back in the 1990s."

There are 5 huge crates, almost the size of Busses, and are marked SPITFIRE MARK IX.
                              "There were 20, these are the ones I have not had to sell yet. We tried to put one together, but too much was needed and we don't want to call attention to the fact that we have these. I sell one or two at a time, discreetly, and we do very well by this alone some years."

Not actually much to see there, moving on-
                              "Its really an exaggeration to say I have a tank. This little fellow is just a toy next to the real thing. However, there are no real tanks on this island, so..."

That 20mm is a lot of gun for a little M114

Oh, and in the background is not a trainer.
                              "One fellow wanted to trade me one semi-operational FW-190 for two crated Spits. I think I made a bad deal, we have never been able to get that one working right."

They have a rather cheeky set of decals on it right now-

Yeah.... that's an accurate forgery of the colors of Malaysian Air Force. Besides Singapore, that's the only foreign nation within the normal combat radius of this plane if flying from this airport.

There are stacks of spare parts, tools and work-benches here as well.

"See anything that might be useful to you?"
                              Last edited by The Exorcist; 10 Oct 13, 12:03.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

On quarters, while Kotomi and Kasakabe aren't going to be picky Lori will be. She will want something that is stark, antiseptic, and artificial like this:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X