No announcement yet.

Chapter 2; Something Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{Picking up the BBC, I like it better than Sky News, and an operator would want to learn as much about what's going on, especially if he's been a hermit for a few years}

"I doubt you were going to try anything waking up. After all, you could have tried something yesterday much more easily." Chris says when she observes she's not bound.

"Hmm, interesting, they seem to have absolutely no idea of what they are doing, and they're going about it in their normally hamfisted way. It's been a long time since I've embarrassed a government organization." Chris thinks of how he can use gear to do just that and get Kendra out of there and into the wind.

"Oh yeah, and just what exactly the hell are you?" Chris says, almost casually, his hand falling to the colt lying on the end table beside him.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

It's been a long time since I've embarrassed a government organization."
      She cringes just a faction of an inch, as if that's a common occurrence with her.

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
      "Oh yeah, and just what exactly the hell are you?" Chris says, almost casually, his hand falling to the colt lying on the end table beside him.
      She seems offended by his tone when he asks the "what" part of that question. And laying a hand on his pistol when he let her sleep like that makes her roll her eyes.

"I am a traveler, but this world is NOT where I was trying to go. Been here before, when it was nastier, so this part is where I landed.Something is very wrong here, I wasn't the only one that came here." She combs her hair back with her fingers and glances at the bathroom. She will blink in surprise if you left all her stuff the way she dropped it.

"I was traveling the Overworld... you understand Umbra? Astral-Planes? Well, the bottom dropped out and I landed here. Glad to hear the Not-see are gone." Here eyes go to the kitchen and stay there. She holds up her hands and asks "Do you mind?"
      If its okay with him, she goes to the kitchen to get something to eat. She has nothing on but her head, but still manages to walk & talk with the same mannerisms and posture that she has normally. Neither showing off or possessing any modesty (false or otherwise) its just another indication that you really are dealing with an Alien here.

"I have been trying to make contact with the others. Some sort of creature seems to be hunting us, one that can hide in plain sight. Two soul-lights have gone out already, I don't want to be third. And... I can't figure out how to get out of here.
      You don't know spell-magic, or maybe you do, you came through the gate strongly. Maybe wrong word, but I didn't have to pretend you were drunk, as I thought I might must do. My problem is, the ley-lines here don't run true now. There seem to be 2 minor and 2 major nexus points, and this is wrong. There must be an odd number!"

She kept her hands in plain sight the whole time and never touched a knife. What she come back with is two bowls filled with some sort of a salad that includes bacon and roasted potato. Common ingredients somehow combined to make a taste unlike anything he has yet encountered.

And I know, he will insist on that "what" part.
      "I am dhak Alfar, a Dark Elf, what do I look like?!" She huffs and shakes her head.
      "Makes me twice alone here. If I was Human, I'd be drawn to someone my genetic legacy ties me to. You know... like a distant cousin or something."
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Lori’s response is very polite and she seems to shift from a conversational voice to “pilot voice” intermittently as she talks.
        “Please, do not incinerate that if you would” Lori says seeing the cigarette. “You have to understand that for me it would be unbearable. My senses are greatly enhanced and that often makes things very difficult for me in Alien environments as I was not designed or made to function in them.
        I apologize. That must sound very strange to you. The non-Ginsharians I know say it does.
        I am also not a machine. I am a synthetic human analog; an organic computer if you will. Oh, I will warn you and you need to tell the others certain terms are unacceptable in that respect to me. They are instantly taken as personal insults by Ginsharians. Do not call me a robot or anything like that. Also I am not a (in a almost inaudible voice)… doll or toy. Please do not use those terms around me. Thank you.”

Damien watches as her fingers dance over the vehicle’s controls like she was a concert pianist. She also is not looking at them but at him. He can sense that even though she isn’t watching what she’s doing every movement and control adjustment is precise and correct. The effect is just a bit unnerving.

“Let me begin by explaining Kotomi and Kasakabe a bit. Kotomi is just naïve. She is not trained or experienced in the sort of events we are now caught up in. Kasakabe is. What I am telling you now is not to be repeated to anyone without her permission on threat of death. You need to know though.
        In our time, in the future, she is one of a small number of the most deadly assassins in the known universe. The people she works for are a rough analogue to groups like Mafia, KGB, or Triad. I am her handler at the moment.
        She is Ral Ranthan in origin. That is a Solomani offshoot of Humanitii. The Ral Ranthan are extremely aggressive and violent. They also have a extremely strong sense of honor and are very blunt in communications.
        Be prepared for threats and demands when she speaks. For her, these are just emphasis of what she is saying. Threats are a normal and expected part of Ral Ranthan speech.
        Kasakabe also knows how to function in the situation we are in quite well. She will not be a problem and will say nothing without good reason to do otherwise.
        Any agreement you make with her, or me, will be honored one hundred percent by us. We expect the same in return on threat of death.

Now to explain why we are here. How we came to be here is still uncertain. Since arriving we have been repeatedly attacked by individuals controlled by Pariah’s nemesis. Pariah was kind enough to provide us basic data on this situation. That has clarified it some for us.
        We have only known Pariah for two days. Kasakabe met him first. She had already engaged, for lack of a more precise term, Nemesis’ puppets and killed several. She killed several more when she meet Pariah. The data you have on governments wanting us is a result of the same.
        The evil represented by Nemesis threatens this planet, and in turn you. I cannot use his name. We were warned not to by Pariah.
        This person has very strong psionic abilities. You would call him an esper or someone who uses ESP. I believe I have that terminology correct. He can control others using it. I was told his limit is approximately twenty individuals. Given the data I have to date, he can project this at planetary distances.
        The data I have shows he can perform telepathy including mind control, clairvoyance, and possibly empathy. He may have other talents but these have not been demonstrated.
        Nemesis’ intent is to create as much violence and chaos on this world as possible. Pariah stressed he is both intelligent and insane. This means he is very, very dangerous.
        We three represent a potential threat to him that could, according to Pariah, stop his plan. Therefore we have become targeted to prevent that. Pariah said you could potentially help.
        I made the inference that you were already in possession of most or all of this information yourself. I seem to have been mistaken. Had I known that I would not have made the public statements earlier. I apologize again for that.”

She smiles at him. “That ability is what makes me not a machine. I can make assumptions, inferences, and learn where a machine could not.”

Comment

Chris notes her non-threatening posture and moves his hand a couple of inches to rest on the end table rather than the hilt of his beloved Colt.

Chris mulls over her comments. "You say that some others came through this astral plane thing? I'm assuming it's like the legendary Bifrost, or Hyperspace, or somesuch. The reason I ask is, I think I've met one of them, maybe two. Would they happen to be bafflingly strong, or have an affinity for very large claws or something similar?"

Her comment about the Not-See elicits a furrowed eyebrow and then a chuckle. "I'd have pegged you as a bit young for the 1940s.....we've been through a few since those Nazis, some a bit worse depending on your opinions."

Chris settles down a bit to eat, but is still obviously curious as to What she is. As a soldier, then as a cop, and a mercenary, he lives in the realm of the possible....and that's being rather challenged at the moment.

"A Dark Elf? Hmm. Interesting." Chris says, "Of course you're indignant, but then you should understand....we don't get many visitors on, well, the whole planet. And I've already had enough strange things happen this last year."

After putting away the bowls, Chris asks, "So, how do we avoid whatever you think is hunting you, and get an innocent lady out of a government Safe house" using his fingers to emphasize the sarcasm in Safe.
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

[QUOTE=T. A. Gardner;2651304]Lori’s response is very polite and she seems to shift from a conversational voice to “pilot voice” intermittently as she talks.
            “Please, do not incinerate that if you would” Lori says seeing the cigarette. “You have to understand that for me it would be unbearable. My senses are greatly enhanced and that often makes things very difficult for me in Alien environments as I was not designed or made to function in them.
            [QUOTE]

"What other things can damage you that we would consider common?"

I apologize. That must sound very strange to you. The non-Ginsharians I know say it does.
            I am also not a machine. I am a synthetic human analog; an organic computer if you will. Oh, I will warn you and you need to tell the others certain terms are unacceptable in that respect to me. They are instantly taken as personal insults by Ginsharians. Do not call me a robot or anything like that. Also I am not a (in a almost inaudible voice)… doll or toy. Please do not use those terms around me. Thank you.”
            "In that case you must make allowances for the children. To them, you are remarkable, like something that just stepped out of their favorite stories to... have an adventure with them." He grunts and sits deeper in the plush seat, his concentration leaving you for just a heartbeat or two.

[QUOTE=T. A. Gardner;2651304]Damien watches as her fingers dance over the vehicle’s controls like she was a concert pianist. She also is not looking at them but at him. He can sense that even though she isn’t watching what she’s doing every movement and control adjustment is precise and correct. The effect is just a bit unnerving.[QUOTE]
            And yet, he smiles, this is another subtle confirmation that she is telling the truth.
            If he wants to get cute, he might ask "What is the depth of the Indian Ocean at it's deepest point?"

[QUOTE=T. A. Gardner;2651304]...
            She is Ral Ranthan in origin. That is a Solomani offshoot of Humanitii. The Ral Ranthan are extremely aggressive and violent. They also have a extremely strong sense of honor and are very blunt in communications.
            Be prepared for threats and demands when she speaks...
            Any agreement you make with her, or me, will be honored one hundred percent by us. We expect the same in return on threat of death.
            [QUOTE]
            "You might want to refrain from all this "threat of death" talk." He nods back at the mini-vans. "I could point out half a dozen people back there that are not old enough to drink alcohol legally that between them have a total of about 50 kills... all of whom were armed and dangerous men. I am still trying to make sure that a couple of those kids understand that such things are not games. Are we clear on the implications of that?"

[QUOTE=T. A. Gardner;2651304]Now to explain why we are here. ...
            We three represent a potential threat to him that could, according to Pariah, stop his plan. Therefore we have become targeted to prevent that. Pariah said you could potentially help
            .[QUOTE]
            "I have the resources to do so, and I understand the game this nemesis of yours is playing.
            When people, or creatures, or whatever, are getting ready to do something horrible they want something to justify it, even to themselves. This guy wants to set things up so that when he does whatever it is, he can point to all this crap and say 'See, you had it coming' or something like that. Am I right?"

[QUOTE=T. A. Gardner;2651304]I made the inference that you were already in possession of most or all of this information yourself. I seem to have been mistaken. Had I known that I would not have made the public statements earlier. I apologize again for that.”[QUOTE]
            Damien nods. "I got the feeling that he's pretty far gone. Um... during the Second World War, one army in particular had to keep its men in the fight almost constantly for years. I'm talking about the kind of fighting and emotional stress that can make a healthy man drop 5 Kilos in a week, and it just went on and on. That army coined the term 'burned out'.
            People like that can make mistakes, serious ones even.
            He used to hint about this stuff, but I made a mistake myself. I assumed he was rambling... didn't really listen the way I should have. However, I have made certain preparations..."

He snaps his fingers. "I remember one thing he said, that I live in a fortunate place. Could that mean you are safe from the nemesis here? Or at least, harder for a psychic to find?"
            He stares forward and silently repeats the word Psychic, and shakes his head with a bemused grin.

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            She smiles at him. “That ability is what makes me not a machine. I can make assumptions, inferences, and learn where a machine could not.”
            "GOOD! If all you could do is read programs, its wouldn't be much of a life, would it?"
            Curious thing to say, but by this time you are nearing his compound. "I will leave the rest for when I can get you and your companions together with me. You might not find it difficult, but I am not so good at repeating myself accurately."
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Chris notes her non-threatening posture and moves his hand a couple of inches to rest on the end table rather than the hilt of his beloved Colt.
              Sushulana pretends not to notice, but after that she might start to smile from time to time.

Chris mulls over her comments. "You say that some others came through this astral plane thing? I'm assuming it's like the legendary Bifrost, or Hyperspace, or somesuch. The reason I ask is, I think I've met one of them, maybe two. Would they happen to be bafflingly strong, or have an affinity for very large claws or something similar?"
              "You could have anything walking around, but it seems that we are all keeping a low profile... except for what happened in Colorado. The Man who fell to Earth in Peru was visited by a pair of odd women and then he and his room disintegrated... so we can't rule out the probability that some sort of feud is going on here.
              But, the ley-lines are not the only things that make no sense in your world."

Her comment about the Not-See elicits a furrowed eyebrow and then a chuckle. "I'd have pegged you as a bit young for the 1940s.....we've been through a few since those Nazis, some a bit worse depending on your opinions."
              "I'm 388 years old." She casually informs you between mouthfuls.

Chris settles down a bit to eat, but is still obviously curious as to What she is. As a soldier, then as a cop, and a mercenary, he lives in the realm of the possible....and that's being rather challenged at the moment.
              Its hard to pin down her profession, her background in that regard may be similar to yours, but more like she took the same path with the opposite progression.

"A Dark Elf? Hmm. Interesting." Chris says, "Of course you're indignant, but then you should understand....we don't get many visitors on, well, the whole planet. And I've already had enough strange things happen this last year."
              "Maybe if you stopped treating your world like a toilet... wait, what strange things have been happening to YOU, in particular?"

After putting away the bowls, Chris asks, "So, how do we avoid whatever you think is hunting you, and get an innocent lady out of a government Safe house" using his fingers to emphasize the sarcasm in Safe.
              "You'll be surprised at what I can do. My specialty is making bad trouble for bad people. Keeping myself OUT of that trouble, well, that's what I need you for."
              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"What other things can damage you that we would consider common?"

I am not damaged by it. It is simply, to use common female terminology of this world; eeewww. Ginsharians prefer a very clean and artificial environment; that is all. It is why I requested I be allowed to retrieve this vehicle. It has a clean and artificial environment inside.

"In that case you must make allowances for the children. To them, you are remarkable, like something that just stepped out of their favorite stories to... have an adventure with them." He grunts and sits deeper in the plush seat, his concentration leaving you for just a heartbeat or two.

“Understood. I will make allowances for them. If you could please show me these stories so that I can better understand what is expected of me.”

And yet, he smiles, this is another subtle confirmation that she is telling the truth.
                If he wants to get cute, he might ask "What is the depth of the Indian Ocean at it's deepest point?"

He does.
                Lori stops for a moment and goes silent. Then in “pilot voice” replies rapidly “The Diamantina Deep at 8.047 kilometers position 34 degrees 83 minutes South, 102 degrees 57 minutes East. This is currently disputed due to seismic activity and it is possible that it is now the Sunda Trench at 7.725 kilometers deep at position 10 degrees 19 minutes South by 109 degrees 58 minutes East.”
                She smiles at him in a way he senses she really does have a subtitle sense of humor. “Navigation is a primary function for me.”

"You might want to refrain from all this "threat of death" talk." He nods back at the mini-vans. "I could point out half a dozen people back there that are not old enough to drink alcohol legally that between them have a total of about 50 kills... all of whom were armed and dangerous men. I am still trying to make sure that a couple of those kids understand that such things are not games. Are we clear on the implications of that?"

“That I have direct knowledge of since being assigned to Kasakabe she has killed 54 humans and three Maskai; the later are an alien insect race. That includes two heads of state, an ambassidor, and six bio-engineering scientists. She has injured or beaten seriously dozens more.
                She has on more than one occasion demonstrated her ability to out fight up to four Ginsharian Marines, model Garvin. Garvins are designed, engineered, and manufactured specifically for the task of planetary and space combat. More than once the equivalent of your world's police have said they would bring a dozen men in combat armor... powered suits that would resist virtually any weapon on this planet... with fusion rifles to arrest her. She is everything I am telling you she is.
                To use another Earth analogy on a scale of violence from zero to ten she is approximately a fifteen. Please note that she cannot, and will not, kill or injure anyone without being provoked unless it is a sanctioned assassination according to her Clan’s rules. This is part of her code of honor and she can be killed for not following it, including by me. It is part of the contract Ginshar has with her Clan.” She will give anyone who does seriously threaten her warning, usually more than once if possible, that she is going to kill them if they continue.
                She practices daily and if you wish she will more than happily do so with anyone in your group. Injuries are rare.

"I have the resources to do so, and I understand the game this nemesis of yours is playing.
                When people, or creatures, or whatever, are getting ready to do something horrible they want something to justify it, even to themselves. This guy wants to set things up so that when he does whatever it is, he can point to all this crap and say 'See, you had it coming' or something like that. Am I right?"

”Understood. Such things still exist in my own time too. As a Ginsharian intelligence officer I have access to considerable resources even here to find him.
                And, yes, you are essentially right. Evil often justifies its actions with self fulfilling prophecies.”

Damien nods. "I got the feeling that he's pretty far gone. Um... during the Second World War, one army in particular had to keep its men in the fight almost constantly for years. I'm talking about the kind of fighting and emotional stress that can make a healthy man drop 5 Kilos in a week, and it just went on and on. That army coined the term 'burned out'.
                People like that can make mistakes, serious ones even.
                He used to hint about this stuff, but I made a mistake myself. I assumed he was rambling... didn't really listen the way I should have. However, I have made certain preparations..."

”Kasakabe and I are professionals. We are both largely amoral in that respect; her by upbringing me by design. It is Kotomi I am concerned about. She is critical to this operation but I have serious doubts about her ability to handle such situations.”

He snaps his fingers. "I remember one thing he said, that I live in a fortunate place. Could that mean you are safe from the nemesis here? Or at least, harder for a psychic to find?"
                He stares forward and silently repeats the word Psychic, and shakes his head with a bemused grin.

”They are called Psionics in my time. Because there are races that widely practice these, the Zhodani and Anubians are two examples, I have by design considerable resistance to most psionic effects.”
                She hesitates just a second or so as if unsure about something. “Kasakabe is also resistant for other reasons.
                It is also possible that local conditions are such to cause a psionic dead zone that cannot be penetrated. These exist in my own time and are most common in areas with Droyne living in them.
                Once again, Kotomi is the issue. She is needed but is also human and incapable of avoiding psionics.”

"GOOD! If all you could do is read programs, its wouldn't be much of a life, would it?"

”I would not know. I have never been anything but Ginsharian.”

Curious thing to say, but by this time you are nearing his compound. "I will leave the rest for when I can get you and your companions together with me. You might not find it difficult, but I am not so good at repeating myself accurately."

”Understood. Would you like me to correct your statements when you make an inaccuracy? Normally, I would only do this when etiquette or the mission demands it but if you would like a reminder I can do that.”
                Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 05 Oct 13, 17:14.

Comment

I am not damaged by it. It is simply, to use common female terminology of this world; eeewww. Ginsharians prefer a very clean and artificial environment; that is all. It is why I requested I be allowed to retrieve this vehicle. It has a clean and artificial environment inside.
                  "Well, I was planning on keeping you all out of sight as much as possible, but Murotsu... she might be very helpful in certain outside pursuits."
                  He laughs. "Eww? So, you DO have emotional responses. Fascinating."

”Understood. Would you like me to correct your statements when you make an inaccuracy? Normally, I would only do this when etiquette or the mission demands it but if you would like a reminder I can do that.”
                  He rolls his eyes and tries to keep the asperity out of his voice. "Allow me to finish my sentences before you do. What seems like an error on my part may not actually be so, once you have heard me out."

The women and older girls done head-scarves when you reach populated areas, and then shuck them once inside the compound. There are only a couple of people around to tend the property, and he points one out to you, the gardener. "That's Alif, he's a spy for the Indonesian Government. We tolerate him because I know who he is and they would only replace him with someone I don't know about. Just avoid him."

The garage is indoors and more than large enough to accommodate all your vehicles. By the time you get parked, the same gaggle of kids has gathered around where Lori's door will open.
                  Damien groans and says "Make sure you lock this thing up, tight." and gets out first. He claps his hands 3 times and almost all of the kids repeat the gesture and turn to face him. "Give our guests some room. I'm sure they will be willing to join us for lunch. If you would like them to remain with us, I suggest that you make it a good, enjoyable lunch for them. So, get to it."

There are only a couple of muted sounds of protest as the kids file out, on their way to tackle the project of accommodating you. All of the youngest seem to have an older one assigned to them, holding their hands and softly translating for those who's English is not so good yet.

Damien leads you down a flight of stone stairs to a large and peculiar room. It is decorated with a vast variety of items, from a stuffed Crocodile that measures a good 6 meters to weapons that vary from shiny swords to a rusted and bent 90mm mortar. There are shelves of brick-a-brack... yes, its a trophy room.
                  No, not a single suit of Samurai Armor to be seen. Anywhere.

There is a large sofa covered with real Zebra hide for the 3 of you, and the twins followed you down. Kim is still with Damien, and Muro and Kotomi will have realized by now that Kim is the real heart & soul of this operation.
                  Damien sits behind a large mahogany desk and Kim sits/leans on the edge of the desk as if this a familiar pose for her. The twins (fully grown but only recently) flank their eldes, just far enough from them to make killing all of them quickly much more difficult.
                  So, yes, you are outnumbered, but if he had wanted to be threatening to you he would have had Luchaan or one of the others here instead.

"Now, where shall we start? Shall I tell you about what sort of place you have walked into, or are you ready to tell me what it is you need from me?"
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

He rolls his eyes and tries to keep the asperity out of his voice. "Allow me to finish my sentences before you do. What seems like an error on my part may not actually be so, once you have heard me out."

The women and older girls done head-scarves when you reach populated areas, and then shuck them once inside the compound. There are only a couple of people around to tend the property, and he points one out to you, the gardener. "That's Alif, he's a spy for the Indonesian Government. We tolerate him because I know who he is and they would only replace him with someone I don't know about. Just avoid him."

“Would it help if he were turned?” Lori replies dead pan. “One touch and a kiss and I can make him do whatever I, or you want. For that matter, I can do that to you too. There is no resisting me.
                    I can tell you that simply because I know my designers made that possible and I have used it more than once on humans in my own time. I am irresistible. Kotomi found that out as I have done it to her too.”

The garage is indoors and more than large enough to accommodate all your vehicles. By the time you get parked, the same gaggle of kids has gathered around where Lori's door will open.
                    Damien groans and says "Make sure you lock this thing up, tight." and gets out first. He claps his hands 3 times and almost all of the kids repeat the gesture and turn to face him. "Give our guests some room. I'm sure they will be willing to join us for lunch. If you would like them to remain with us, I suggest that you make it a good, enjoyable lunch for them. So, get to it."

”I wish to see some of the shows you mentioned” Lori says loudly. “The anime you mentioned. I need to learn.”

There are only a couple of muted sounds of protest as the kids file out, on their way to tackle the project of accommodating you. All of the youngest seem to have an older one assigned to them, holding their hands and softly translating for those who's English is not so good yet.

”Do as Mister Damien has asked. I will join you to watch these shows.” Lori turns to Damien. “Is that sufficient cooperation with the children?”

Damien leads you down a flight of stone stairs to a large and peculiar room. It is decorated with a vast variety of items, from a stuffed Crocodile that measures a good 6 meters to weapons that vary from shiny swords to a rusted and bent 90mm mortar. There are shelves of brick-a-brack... yes, its a trophy room.
                    No, not a single suit of Samurai Armor to be seen. Anywhere.

Kasakabe takes far more interest than the others do. “Won battle?” she asks looking at various items very closely.

There is a large sofa covered with real Zebra hide for the 3 of you, and the twins followed you down. Kim is still with Damien, and Muro and Kotomi will have realized by now that Kim is the real heart & soul of this operation.
                    Damien sits behind a large mahogany desk and Kim sits/leans on the edge of the desk as if this a familiar pose for her. The twins (fully grown but only recently) flank their eldes, just far enough from them to make killing all of them quickly much more difficult.
                    So, yes, you are outnumbered, but if he had wanted to be threatening to you he would have had Luchaan or one of the others here instead.

It is obvious that Kasakabe could care less. She and Lori exchange looks. Murotsu (note how I’ve used the name Kasakabe when they speak to these people. Murotsu has to agree to allow her given name to be used so they aren’t so far) looks at Kim. “Talk Lori. Me? Kill people” she says almost offhandedly and turns back to looking at the stuff in the room.

“Kotomi, please have a seat” Lori says in what is more of an order. “If you wish you can retire some where else. I promise to fill you in on what you need to know.”

"Now, where shall we start? Shall I tell you about what sort of place you have walked into, or are you ready to tell me what it is you need from me?"

“Please do” Lori replies politely. “If you do not mind (note the non-use of contractions) at least I would like to get out of this thermoptic suit and into something more comfortable.
                    I am sure Kotomi would like that also. She has been in that pressure suit for hours without a break. Or, is what you have to discuss so critical we cannot do it comfortably? We are professionals. Please give us that respect and we will return it in full to you.”

On Kasakabe’s services.

Lori tells Damien that he has to negotiate that with Kasakabe and her assistance. “I am sure if you have people needing eliminated we can provide that service. Because of the circumstances the usual minimum ten million Imperial credit fee can be waived and we can reach a reasonable contract.
                    I know from experience if it involves killing someone other than a petty criminal Kasakabe will be more than willing to take the contract.”

Kasakabe picks up an item
                    (your choice) "How won? Tell tale. Ancestor want to hear. I want to hear."
                    Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 05 Oct 13, 21:13.

Comment

“Would it help if he were turned?...... I am irresistible.”
                      "It would be a mistake to judge the men of this age by the standards of your own. And I don't mean simply areas of body-chemistry."

”Do as Mister Damien has asked. I will join you to watch these shows.” Lori turns to Damien. “Is that sufficient cooperation with the children?”
                      "Oh...my... Well, I'd say you have stepped in it, as the saying goes. I never really cared for that stuff myself, but you are committed now."

(There was a really good movie made from a kinda lame series, the movie was called The Disappearance Of Har..... aw damn, I forgot now. Well, you pick something)

It is obvious that Kasakabe could care less. She and Lori exchange looks. Murotsu (note how I’ve used the name Kasakabe when they speak to these people. Murotsu has to agree to allow her given name to be used so they aren’t so far)

Unless they are keeping the Family name first and the given name 2nd, as in Japan, that might be confusing to them.

looks at Kim. “Talk Lori. Me? Kill people” she says almost offhandedly and turns back to looking at the stuff in the room.
                      “Please do” Lori replies politely. “If you do not mind (note the non-use of contractions) at least I would like to get out of this thermoptic suit and into something more comfortable.
                      I am sure Kotomi would like that also. She has been in that pressure suit for hours without a break. Or, is what you have to discuss so critical we cannot do it comfortably? We are professionals. Please give us that respect and we will return it in full to you.”
                      He comes halfway out of his seat, but Kim holds up on hand and gives the guests a friendly nod.
                      "But of course, you poor dears must have been up all night." Her voice has a musical lilt to is, as if she learned English by singing it first. "Cal, coffee and Tea would be nice, don't you think?" and she leaves the desk to step up and invite them to the bathroom just off to one side. One, two or all of them can come with her.
                      Its a larger sort of the bathroom you might expect to find adjacent to a command post. No luxury but all the amenities including a bathtub and a shower, lots of towels and several silk robes. Kim will chat you up, but not about anything at all that might have to do with business.

If Muro spends any time in the trophy room waiting for the others, Damien will pass the time by showing her around the artifacts.
                      "Yes, battles won. Can't walk away from the ones we loose, now can we?"

One prize item in a glass case is called a Howdah Pistol. It seems to be a very short shotgun at first glance, but it has a 13mm bore, rifled, and percussion caps.
                      "Some fool actually tried to kill me with that once." He says.
                      "My Uncle." Vondonna says from the doorway, so still and quiet until nowthat it would have been easy to forget she was there. Damien blinks, then grimaces, so she adds, "A very, very bad man."
                      "I thought you had forgotten."
                      "Its only been ten years, popa, and a lifetime."

One wall is given over to WW2 items that he has been collecting. There is a De-lisle carbine and the strangest item in the room; a human skull converted into a drinking goblet, with the inside plated with gold.

On Kasakabe’s services.

Lori tells Damien that he has to negotiate that with Kasakabe and her assistance. “I am sure if you have people needing eliminated we can provide that service. Because of the circumstances the usual minimum ten million Imperial credit fee can be waived and we can reach a reasonable contract.
                      I know from experience if it involves killing someone other than a petty criminal Kasakabe will be more than willing to take the contract.”
                      "Very good. Kasakabe', is it? We can hammer out the details later, but I think we can certainly work together."

When everyone is gathered back together, He will tell you all about the situation here on Grand Natuna, and how all this came to be.

If you have anything to add or explain before he gets started, go ahead and post it.
                      (I will post his story in a few hours, even if you have nothing to add before tat point)
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Lori would prove her ability if challenged as she was at the beginning. All that takes is her putting her hand on Damien and infusing some of the aphrodesiaic she has like she did to Kotomi into him.
                        He would get harder than granite and want her more than anything in this uinverse in seconds afterwards. She was designed and built to be able to do this. It is part of who she is and what she is supposed to be able to do.
                        (she could do a "she is me... I am her" sort of thing with Kim if you need that. But there is no way short of being damaged and a eunic Daminen can resist her)

And yes, with Kasakabe it is like with the Japanese. Kasakabe is her "public" name. Murotsu is only for friends and family.
                        Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 05 Oct 13, 22:36.

Comment

Lori would prove her ability if challenged as she was at the beginning.
                          But she was not challenged, she missed the point, as is so often the case.

Androids....

There was another odd little relic that might have caught your eye... as a joke.
                          If Muro asks about it, he'll just shake his head. "Honestly, I have no idea."

So, after the various refreshments and so on, Damien will give you his story.

I'll do that in another post, this might take a while.
                          "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

The gravcoupe.

Oh, and both Lori and Murotsu will be impressed positively by their hospitality, politeness, and willingness to negotiate. Both expect that from their professional counterparts.

Comment

I'm sure the girls will love it.
                              The shade might even be a good low0visibility color for night time... but its bound to clash with the tinted windows.

Lets got on with the story-

"Alright, since you two are from some distant future, you need to stop me if I use a term that you don't understand. Don't let your pride stop you, we all need to be absolutely clear in our communications with each other."

There are times when this guy is so military that it seems like he is running an army here.

"My name is Damien Vanoy. Years ago, after a rough start, I fell in with a bad crowd and helped found a crime syndicate in a place called Ranapor, a Hindu colony on the coastal end of the Thai-Cambodian border. Yes, I was a wicked man, but after helping overthrow the Khmer Rouge and getting nothing but a kick in the pants for my troubles, I decided I should fight for myself and a whole pile of money instead.
                              I'm the only 'founder' still alive, and I attribute that to the fact that I let all the enemies I used to have believe that I am dead. In fact, my only real connection left to that place is the fact that I know its secrets, thanks to the Church of Violence. That is what I really founded, a front for an arms-dealing network."

He lights up at last, and he has one of those ashtrays that sucks in the smoke.

"I was ready to fake my own death and move on when I elected to supervise an arms shipment to Myanmar. The Karens were in a bad way... but I didn't realize how bad until I met a daring young lady who decided to show me."
                              He looks up at Kim, who smiles and takes his hand.
                              "She was a captive sent to warm my bed. I was running arms to the warlords who ran the local drug-farms, you see. Without being able to speak a word of English yet, she convinced me to have a look and some of the things going on there. I did, and it changed me perspective a bit. What they were doing with a captive children was..."

He pauses for just a second, and then goes on.
                              "Things changed after that. I formed a squad of professionals and expended my personal; fortune to convince those people of the error of their ways. And, we got a lot of people out of there.
                              Oh, I still have the resources to help you. In a manner of speaking, you could say I married into money."
                              He and Kim share a sly grin.

"When you have seen and solved a problem of this sort, its no longer the same about reading about it in the papers. You realize that you can do something about it. That makes all the difference in the world. So, I kept going. What was left of the squad has long since been disbanded, you really can't go all commando in the 'civilized' world, and that is where most of the problems are. Its really incredible, how many people in this world are willing to abuse children, to just snuff out a life full of promise for a moment of what these sick swine think of as pleasure. I saw the wholesale waste of life in old Kampuchea, but this is something else.
                              So... we liberate, and we leave the perpetrators in a condition that sews terror all though their secret little networks. Nobody can be sure how successful we have been, but I like to think we are making a difference.

"The kids you see here are the 5 or 10% that we cannot find homes for, or would rather not be parted from. All had been badly affected by what they had gone through, most still are in one way or another. Some have a proclivity for violence that would stagger you unless you knew how they came to be that way. These Hard Cases are our specialty, in fact, and we deal with them in 2 ways; we turn everyone's life here into an on-going adventure of sorts; we let them help us continue the work we are involved in. And... well, when you have someone that is badly blanked-up, how do you wake them up?
                              You give them someone that is even more blanked-up than they are to take care of.
                              And in a very real sense, that even-more blanked-up person would be me."

Both of the twins gasp and start to protest that, but he holds his hand up and speaks sharply; "If you would be our heirs in this, then you will be still and hear me out! Its time you knew the full truth here."

He glances at the Howdah pistol and goes on. "Generally speaking, when we first meet, these abused children see me annihilating the people that were abusing them. We tend to leave a lot of bodies behind, even the smaller rings have a little gang of thugs to deal with as well. Its a combination of awe and dread that I am met with, and those that don't get past their dread are quickly passed on to good families down south or over the big waters, and I have no problem with my memory being used as a bogey man by their parents to ensure good behavior.
                              Yes, from time to time, we do check up on them, to insure that those are good families, and that we have not planted any bad seeds anywhere.

"As to how we do our deeds without a squad of our own, well, its not easy but also not as difficult as you might Imagine. Kasakabe, if you are as good as your pal says you are, you will be most welcome to join us. there have been times whey our resources were not equal to the task. Not right away, I mean.

"Our biggest problem in recent years has been a lack of information, no doubt a tangible result of our activities from the Persian Gulf to Manila, then along came the Pariah... and here we are.
                              I will not be tested in my own home.
                              I am no saint, in fact I would be well on my way to becoming the proverbial Terrible Old Man by now if it were not for these kids. They saved me, not the other way around. Are we clear on that?"
                              He does not glance at the twins,but they nod and turn their heads away. Their black eyes are still dry, but you see that even skin as dark as theirs can flush, a deep shade of maroon.

"Now that you know the situation here, I need to know what your needs and intentions are."
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Kotomi, exhausted, falls asleep almost immediately. Lori and Kasakabe both look and act as if they had just gotten up and were ready for a busy day. They listen to Damien talk about his past and other things.

When Damien mentions he needs information Lori replies “ What data do you require? I am currently capable of obtaining virtually any stored electronic data from any netted system on this planet. The systems here are not sophisticated.”
                                (remember, she’s tapped comm satellites and would have bugged / hacked any system she came in contact with).

“Lori wipe everything. Never here!” Kasakabe adds. “Say done.”

When he and Kim mention marriage and personal things Lori lights up. “I understand the concept of marry! I also know the importance of birthdays!” Then she looks a bit melancholy. “I did not get to celebrate Made Day on what would have been September tenth on your calendar due to circumstances. That is a special day for Ginsharians…”

When it comes to discussing war and violence the two are quite different in their responses.
                                Kasakabe intersperses the conversation with philosophical bits of wisdom. “True warrior willing criminal! No regret EVER!”
                                “Alway honor! See what not there! Use all destroy enemy!”
                                “Alway calm! Move fast, look slow.” She gestures with her hand “Tiny important.”
                                She also doesn’t sit down but continues to look at the trophies in the room in some cases touching them for a moment. It is as if she wants to know about each one personally.

After sitting for a bit listening to them impassively Lori finally jumps into this line of talk in what is at first her “pilot voice.”

“I have fought wars in the Li system, System 577-592 at Pokhval’nyy, the Maskai at Maska Shi’ir, at Kasasha numerous times, at Arshur, Misty Morning, Mariposa, Factory Rock, Ginshar itself, and dozens of other systems. I have been to sixty two different star systems including this one.”
                                They can see the emotion rising in her. Tears start streaming down her face. “I have killed thousands in those battles. I have destroyed their ships, left survivors to suffocate in the cold of deep space, sent my Marines aboard enemy vessels to slaughter every last crewman!
                                I was designed and manufactured to be ruthless in combat, and I am! How dare you lecture ME on war!
                                Anyone could see how terribly wounded she is about this.
                                “I will fight this war because I must! It is what I was made to do! It is also the only way we can return home.”

Kasakabe standing at one of the displays has picked up a sword and is almost disinterestedly ignoring Lori’s outburst and instead looking intently at the sword.

“Whether I live or die is irrelevant. Lori will live on in my four sister units regardless. We will succeed because we must!”
                                She sits back down crying head in hands.

Kasakabe holds the sword up showing it to Damien and Kim. She sneers at them “Owner stupid. No learn use. Fool! Sword know! Deserve better. Here better than hand of fool take from!”
                                (she used clairvoyance to ‘read’ the sword’s history)
                                She puts the sword very carefully back on its display stand.

Lori regains her composure. “Sorry, it is just sometimes… I will protect the children at any cost. I learned at Arshur and Pokhval’nyy how important they are to non-Ginsharians.
                                I believe I now have some ‘shows’ to watch to understand the concept of how I am viewed by them. If you will excuse me.”
                                Lori gets up to leave.

Kasakabe comes over to Kim’s desk. She places a small metallic container that looks a lot like a portable laptop computer on it and opens it.
                                “Won battle. Kill Vargr pirate, take. Vargr dog, wolf. Stupid test, all DIE! Calalli! Calalli! Tell tale make ancestor proud!”
                                She then opens the perscomm cover to reveal the secret compartment underneath. She reaches in and pulls out a stunningly gorgeous sword. It whistles as she twirls it a bit. It is clear she is very proud of it.
                                “Family four generation” she says showing it to them. “Last, Anubian. Slice open duel. Live shame. Sang beautiful that day!”

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X