Chapter 2; Something Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
    “I know that” Kotomi replies. “Both of you have been trying so hard to help and now with this Merrick situation and…” she starts crying. “What am I supposed to do?!”
    Pariah is not really capable of making comforting gestures, but he knows some good words.
    "The same thing you did before; take the impossible head-on and turn it into a chance for life. What you did was a brilliant success. And now, you are not alone. Look to that which you would save, all the strength you ever needed is right there."

Lori looks at Pariah. Is Merrick in this dimension or another right now?”
    Here. No farther away than your moon most likely, and perhaps as close as that ocean I can smell now. I like that smell.

Without waiting for an answer she asks Why did he involve us in this? It makes no strategic or tactical sense… and I am specifically equipped to deal with military situations… to involve us. By doing so Merrick opened up the possibility of his defeat. This would have been unlikely, even impossible, if Murotsu, myself, and Kotomi were not involved and not aware of his presence.”
    You must not forget; this is a game to him... no, wrong word, a test. Other worlds have passed before, so the qualifications for attaining his full wrath are very stringent. Kotomi is part of this world and therefore not a problem for him... by his lights. However, you two are something... else. He tried to surgically remove you. He failed because his attention is divided and will now mostly likely ignore you if you stay out of the wider world, but we are talking about a mind that is slipping gears. He may forget about you entirely. Or... not.

Kotomi thinks about that for a moment. Lori’s absolutely right! If he wanted maximum chaos and disorder getting anyone or thing involved that could prevent that is… it is insane!
    He just gives you a look that reads as 'told you so' and turns to start walking down the path.
    "Time is running out, I want you to meet these people and they are leaving soon."

Kasakabe just looks bored by that whole philosophical discussion. What get Merrick attention? she asks. What Merrick ignore? What weakness? How kill?” she nearly sneers with what the others take to be sheer pleasure in the idea that she would get to kill someone powerful and challenging.
    His attention is drawn buy what concerns his exercise here. He is trying to determine if this world is already evil and corrupt, or too good and worthy to merit his Special Treatment.
    If you are at one extreme or the other, he will notice you, and your reach and influence will be noted, and added to his balance sheet.

You are about to discover what its like to be judged in a way that only religions have conceived of, but not in the after-life.

He points out the vista on the previous page and lets the girls walk past. Except for Murotsu.
    "How kill? Meaning how do I kill him?" He looks impatient with her and a little disappointed. "Forget about his weaknesses, use his own strengths against him. Do that, young lady, and you will never have to endure your doubts about yourself again."
    And Muro takes 3 steps before she realizes he's already gone.

(that's all the Q&A I can do in this chapter on that level, we have to get you up to speed before I can get Adrezawa back into this)
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Chris looks about, a bit befuddled. First he's in Dakota, and then he's in Eastern Europe he's sure, this strange woman says 'Transylvania'. And this woman with the strange accent, and clothes, speaks like a local. "Well, that makes some sense" Chris thinks aloud, "I might have made a few enemies out here back in the day".

Looking at her, and the stones, he chuckles "Don't hire contractors often do you? I had meant twenty thousand dollars a day. I think that they'll cover that." Almost casually he pulls her shirt back over her python, "And you might not want to advertise that". Looking about, he considers her offer. "So, I just have to keep you alive for one day and you'll tell me where those A$$holes are keeping Kendra?" He gives a smug smile, "Oh, and don't completely assume that I didn't have an exit strategy....Chief isn't much of a fan of meddlers, and the barkeep was a friend of mine. Emphasis on the was now..."

Thinking back tactically, he muses "Do you have anywhere around here you're actually trying to go? And we're going to need transport....I like moving more than hiding, you can always sleep in the car." With that Chris pulls his hat on and tucks his shotgun in his duster to hide it as well.....and they leave the cupola towards town, Chris looking for something to 'borrow'.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
        Thinking back tactically, he muses "Do you have anywhere around here you're actually trying to go? And we're going to need transport....I like moving more than hiding, you can always sleep in the car." With that Chris pulls his hat on and tucks his shotgun in his duster to hide it as well.....and they leave the cupola towards town, Chris looking for something to 'borrow'.
        The place she wants to do is only a short walk away, a building that looks like a 500 year-old Inn on the outside, dinky rooms on the inside and is almost certianly over-priced, even for a place with a capacity of about 8 tourists and 2 dogs. Running water in every room and Y-Fi would tend to back that up... but as an unexpected hide-out it has its advantages. Who would expect anyone to "hide" in a place like this, that is within sight of a major tourist attraction?

"Cars get seen," she mutters, now leaning on you as you walk in. Apparently some sort of previous arrangement is being taken advantage of, Sushulana just shows the Innkeeper something that looks like a blue business card and he makes a face... the sort men make when the have to honor a deal that they thought would probably never be called due.

The room is at the back, no real view and barely furnished; one bed one cupboard and one chair left over from the Austro-Hungarian Empire... and a flat-screen TV that looks brand new. But it does have a bathroom and a kitchen, and the fridge is fully stocked.
        No matter how peculiar, this is a woman you are dealing with, and she insists on taking a shower before bed no matter how dizzy with exhaustion she is. Its quick, she leaves a hell of a mess, and when you back is turned she slips into the bed with a towel over her head. "Might sleep most of a day, let me. Tomorrow, I word for you, tell you all..." and with that, she's out like a lite.

Chris can have the TV as loud as he liked (yes, you can get Skye news) and even plop onto the bed if the chair is not to his liking, she won't even stir. Side note; you have all you need to make BLTs on the curiously good bread they have here.

You are tired to, and doze for a while, but about ten hours from the time she went to sleep, you go fully alert. Its like that danger-sense kicking in... but there is nothing here that wasn't there before. Outside, down the hall, nothing. SHE is right where you left her, looking much refreshed but still sounds asleep.
        And then it starts.
        Chris has probably heard of Night Terrors before, but I doubt he's actually seen one before.
        In the space of about 6 seconds, she starts to twitch, then whine, then is suddenly screaming at the top of her lungs, sitting bolt-upright in bed with an expression of stark terror on her face. She is also covered in sweat, just that quickly, and its the cold clammy kind, not a warm and fragrant sort. Yes, she was naked under the covers, and that's a very alluring figure, her waist is so narrow Chris could surround it with just his two hands and there is not a single follicle of hair south of her neckline... but that's not what will draw Chris's attention now. At this moment, it is confirmed that you have officially gone off the map.

The towel came loose, and her ears are long, coming to finely sculpted points almost level with the top of her head.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we have just lost cabin pressure."

From now on, those people that were pretending to look like Elves in the LOTR movies are going to look pretty pale in comparison...
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

The three reach the village that Pariah directed them to. The children put Lori on edge as children have the few times she has had to deal with them. It is instantly clear she would rather avoid them entirely. She is not mean or offensive but rather just distant and very reserved even getting close to them.
          Murotsu eyes them warily while Kotomi is being reasonably friendly.

“We are looking for a Mister Damien” Lori asks one of the men in the village as they enter it. “Where might we find him?”

Lori’s laser carbine and all three’s clothing (Lori and Kasakabe are in thermoptic suits while Kotomi has a light weight pressure suit on that Lori made her wear) get some odd looks from the adults.

With Daimen pointed out to them the three, with many of the village’s occupants following them, go to meet him.

Murotsu walks up bows slightly claps her hands twice and says “Dädäbaba gömäk” (May your) ancestor(s) watch (over you).

Lori bows slightly “Mister Damien, I am Lori Sixteen. This is Kasakabe and Kotomi Ichinose (indicating each person) we were told by a gentleman named Pariah to find you and that you could be of help with a situation we find ourselves in. Is there somewhere we might talk?”

Lori looks at Kotomi. “Sorry, it is just I am… engineered to command in these situations.”

“It’s okay, I’m a more than a bit of an introvert and I know you are just trying to help.”

Comment

“We are looking for a Mister Damien” Lori asks one of the men in the village as they enter it. “Where might we find him?”
            Its not really a village so much as it is a farm/villa. Everyone here is connected in one way or another with the 'family.'
            ((I will put a list of all the people in the Main Tread for this game. The make-up will be very different from what Dutch was shown in 2012))

Murotsu walks up bows slightly claps her hands twice and says “Dädäbaba gömäk”
            (May your) ancestor(s) watch (over you).
            They don't seem to understand exactly what you have said, either the language or maybe just your accent throws them a bit. However, about half of them return the gesture and hold hands together in a half-bow, and hold it until you move or speak again.

(and the thought may occur to Murotsu; its entirley possible that you are standing in the presence of one of your ancestors at this very moment.)

Lori bows slightly “Mister Damien, I am Lori Sixteen. This is Kasakabe and Kotomi Ichinose (indicating each person) we were told by a gentleman named Pariah to find you and that you could be of help with a situation we find ourselves in. Is there somewhere we might talk?”
            "Pariah is known to me, and since he vouches for you, you can travel with us. We were just about to head home, you see." As was mentioned to another player, this Damien fellow has a certain presence that draws & holds people's attention. He is nearly 50 but looks and moves like a younger man, with a substantial and focused intellect.

The sudden appearance of armed strangers is something that most of the people here take in stride. Some of the children were taken aback, but Damien's easy-going attitude is reassuring enough that none of them flee from your approach. A few even step forward to introduce themselves. English is the common tongue here, but not all of them have mastered it yet.

Lori and Damien will be speaking to each other, and you will also meet Kim, his wife, a willowy Burmese (actually Karen tribal) woman about ten years younger than Damien. She pointedly ignores the Carbine and yet somehow makes you feel guilty about carrying it around in her presence.
            Or, she would, if you were human....

Kotomi finds herself surrounded by half a dozen curious kids ranging from 8-16 years old, but 4 near-adults hang back flanking the gathering with wary eyes and one hand in a pocket.

Murotsu is mostly left alone, for about 30 seconds.
            She feels a slight tug on her sleeve and looks down to see a 6-year-old Caucasian boy without a trace of fear in his eye asking "Did you fall from the Sky?"
            Funny thing, but on the other hand... the suits you are all wearing could seem to be what Sky-Divers would wear.
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Murotsu looks at the kid and thinks for a moment. “Lori, where home?”
              “Excuse me a moment” Lori says politely to Damien and his wife. She looks at the position of the sun for a moment. They can tell she’s thinking. Lori then turns and points low at the Western sky.
              “Accounting for the difference in time and rates of motion relative to C, Ginshar is three hundred and three point one six light years at that position and Durne, Kasakabe’s home, is point eight seven degrees to the right of that and down four radians, using local units of measurement, at a distance of two hundred fifty four point seven three light years. The time displacement is three thousand five hundred and ninety seven point eight two one years in the local Julian as well as the Solomani calendar. That is where I and Kasakabe are from. Kotomi is from Japan and more recently resides in California in the nation of United States.
              If you need more precise data it will have to wait until at least twenty two thirty hours tonight when both stars rise and become visible.”

It is abundantly clear in the ‘pilot voice’ Lori is using and her expression that she is not human. It would sound to Damien and the others more like what they would experience with a computer or robot.

Lori turns back to Damien and in a more pleasant conversational tone, almost as if she‘d never just said all that asks ”Would it be acceptable for us to bring our transportation here before we leave? It will only take six minutes twelve seconds to call and have it arrive. I would prefer not to be outdoors if possible.”

Murotsu laughs nodding. “Lori hate outside!”
              Kotomi grinning wide adds. “That’s for sure! She is like ultra-agoraphobic!”

Comment

It is abundantly clear in the ‘pilot voice’ Lori is using and her expression that she is not human. It would sound to Damien and the others more like what they would experience with a computer or robot.
                This may not have the affect you were looking for.
                Rama was diligently typing everything Lori said into his palm-pilot, but the rest of the kids close to his age gather around Lori in rapt fascination. Some are too awed to smile, but all are thrilled to meet a real "robot" like the ones they have seen in their favorite animes. "She's like Haruhay's friend but much prettier!" and so on.

However, those 13 and older an not so easly taken in, and you are getting some very cloudy looks from the adults.

Lori turns back to Damien and in a more pleasant conversational tone, almost as if she‘d never just said all that asks ”Would it be acceptable for us to bring our transportation here before we leave? It will only take six minutes twelve seconds to call and have it arrive. I would prefer not to be outdoors if possible.”
                Damien raises an eyebrow, and then nods. "By all means, summon your chariot. I can't wait to see this."
                He thinks he's calling you out on this whole fantasy thing. A couple of the older kids fade from view, standing in the foliage with an array of weapons.

Murotsu laughs nodding. “Lori hate outside!”
                Kotomi grinning wide adds. “That’s for sure! She is like ultra-agoraphobic!”
                "What an odd thing to say."
                "Yeah, everything is outside of something."
                "Bet she'll like the crypt."

And then your flying car arrives, and its all "ooo" and "ahh".
                Damien and Kim are shocked, and they both are thinking of strangling Pariah the next chance they get.

Luchaan steps out from behind a palm tree with what looks like a small RPG over his shoulder and nudges Damien; "Hey pops, looks like she has your Ferrari beat."
                "Shut up and get the Van over here, its daylight!" To Lori; "Okay, we need to talk, but first we need to get you people covered. Our home is half an hour down that road... damn, we have a LOT to talk about. That S.O.B. Pariah timed it like this on purpose, didn't he?"

He looks shaken and Kim is trying to figure out what this all means, and soon a small moving van shows up that you can slip that "car" into. Its not very likely that anyone saw that, and those that did work for Damien most likely, but still...

Rama looks up. "Are you Kotomi Ichinose, by any chance?"
                You have a fan. Or maybe there is an A.P.B. out on you already...

With some effort, control is established and the kids are seated in two mini-vans along with Kotomi and Muro. Lori on the other hand-
                -The twins (yes, identical) show up in the "Ferrari". Damien nods to the vans and they get into the diver seats, while he says to Lori. "Our talk can start on the way to my villa. Get in."

It may not measure up to your sky-car, but you gotta give him points for style... and the other departments as well; this thing has armor 5cm thick and industrial (ie; badly flawed) diamonds in the locking mechanisms.

"Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

!

Chris spends a moderately restless night cringing at her screaming and cleaning weapons, with the tele turned up enough to keep it from being completely unnerving. Though after seeing her ears, and avoiding passing out, he keeps one weapon loaded....she's got some serious explaining to do in the morning....Chris thinks. "How on earth did I get myself into this insanity. That's the last time I take a job in South America!" He says, remembering the start of the craziness truly began with the shooting of the mountain man and retrieving the gourd which was subsequently taken by some Thing.
                  Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Lori opens the doors on the gravcoupe and indicates that Damien should get in. “Ride with me. It will be far more pleasant than using that ground vehicle.” she says with very alluring smile.

Whether he accepts or not Lori “flies” the grav coupe as part of the vehicle convoy just a few centimeters off the ground making it appear to be a ground vehicle.

Comment

Chris spends a moderately restless night cringing at her screaming and cleaning weapons, with the tele turned up enough to keep it from being completely unnerving.
                      It was just that one incident... the rest of the time she sleeps like a log.
                      For 13 hours, all told.
                      Most of the time, she is so still that you are tempted to see if she is even still alive. One touch will tell you that she is still warm, warmer than you, even. A second touch won't wake her, but she will put one hand over yours as if she is trying to bring you up to the same temperature she is, with whatever slight reserves her body has left.

Though after seeing her ears, and avoiding passing out, he keeps one weapon loaded....she's got some serious explaining to do in the morning....Chris thinks. "How on earth did I get myself into this insanity. That's the last time I take a job in South America!" He says, remembering the start of the craziness truly began with the shooting of the mountain man and retrieving the gourd which was subsequently taken by some Thing.
                      If you leave her undisturbed she falls back to sleep within a minute and at the end of the 13 hours since you came in here, you turn to see her sitting up in bed, looking at you. She glances up at where the towel was, and sighs. She even tests the range of motion of her ankles under the sheets, and seems a little surprised to find that she is not bound somehow.
                      "A regular Paladin, you are, how refreshing."

Sushulana keeps her hands in plain sight, flickering a quick glance at your loaded weapons from time to time. And, not just refreshed, she is radiant and fully recharged now, as well as "hungry..."
                      But that look in your eye alone convinces her to come to the point. "Your girl friendly is in a Black House at place called Copc'a Mica, if what I heard from the trunk of that car went boom is true. Not for question, to hold safe for you and use on you."
                      And that sounds right to Chris. A true Black Ops place that had torture on the menu would more likely be in Moldova or Croatia.

"And now, you put the question to me?" She speaks right over the audible groan coming from her tummy as if that didn't just happen.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what's he watching on the TV?
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Lori opens the doors on the gravcoupe and indicates that Damien should get in. “Ride with me. It will be far more pleasant than using that ground vehicle.” she says with very alluring smile.

Whether he accepts or not Lori “flies” the grav coupe as part of the vehicle convoy just a few centimeters off the ground making it appear to be a ground vehicle.
                        The twins maneuver the vans to block the road before you can even get started, and Damien does not even budge. Lori picked a bad time & place to question his authority. "There are 28,000 people and exactly 85 sedans on this island, 3 of which belong to me. I thought you were some sort of fugitives that ..."
                        "They are they are!" Rama comes bouncing out of a minivan and tosses Damien his palm-device.
                        "I see. In the last 2 hours, you have been flagged as 'persons of interest' by the Americans, and the Chinese are looking for you too. Oh, espionage, how original!" He tosses the device back to Rama. "I don't suppose you had anything to do with that fire at Cal-tech."

Kim puts an hand on his shoulder, which he immediately shrugs off and steps to put himself between her and you.
                        "I'm taking a lot of faith here because Pariah has given us a lot of good information in the last year and a third of the people you see here are alive because of him. But all of a sudden I have to wonder if taking you into my house is such a great idea. Why exactly are you insisting I ride with you instead of you riding with me?"
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Lori stops and looks at Damien. “Pariah’s nemesis is manipulating events. We were told he would.
                          Look at our equipment.” She points at the gravcoupe. “How does this vehicle just hover above the ground like it does?” She gives it a slight push and it moves a few centimeters. “It has no technology you can identify holding it off the ground. How does it work?”
                          She then brushes the wrist controls on her thermoptic suit to cause it to disappear. Everyone can still see her head since she has the helmet off.
                          “Have you ever seen any technology that can do that?” She asks as she turns the suit back off.
                          “Watch” she says flatly. Lori takes the laser carbine and saws down a large tree in a matter of a second or so with it; the beam emitted being invisible. The tree topples over and crashes to the ground. There is no sound from the weapon.
                          “If that is not enough, get in this vehicle” she tells him. “We will go into space, to your Moon if you like, and I will prove we have told you the truth.”

Kotomi speaks up. “She’s telling you the truth! I’ve been in space in that car now twice! Lori’s shown me their equipment!

“Although this is a secret for my race I will tell you since there is no means on this planet of duplicating the results.” Lori says very seriously to Damien. “I am a synthetic human analog. If you had my genetic make up typed it would confound you and every scientist on this planet. I have what in my time is called Tri-Xeno-Nucleic-Acid. I have the organic equivalent of what you would call a ‘super computer’ within my cellular structure. I was designed and engineered to be a starship pilot, commander, and intelligence officer. I am ranked for Alien interface purposes as a Kapitan in the Ginsharian Navy.

Kasakabe would be found to be human as she is derived from Solomani ancestry. In our time Humanitii from this planet are called Solomani. I tell you all this because of the seriousness of our situation.”

Kotomi re-emphasizes her earlier statement. “They really are from our future! I found them using my shadow gear!” She holds up the portable device to show everyone.

“ENOUGH!” Murotsu shouts. “Pariah say fight evil. Evil cause problem! Kotomi key! No want us, leave. No trust, leave. Done. Well?” She stands staring defiantly at Damien.

“What is it to be Mister Damien?” Lori asks very politely.
                          Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 04 Oct 13, 23:07.

Comment

That was all a bit too much at one shot.

“What is it to be Mister Damien?” Lori asks very politely.
                            Rama; "I'll ride with her!"

Damien; "NOT ONLY NO BUT FU.... I mean, just get in the van." And to Lori, "Did it have to be in front of all of them?" He shakes his head, rapidly coming to the (accurate) conclusion that not a single one of these women is very sophisticated about inter-human relations.

"Look, I am not doubting you, I have not been since this thing showed up. And nobody else that sees it will doubt it either. No, don't say another word, we will talk in private, but-"
                            Kim whispers in his ear, and the grim patrician sighs, and mellows a bit.
                            "Fine." He looks into the gav-sled to verify that its only got two seats. "If you want so badly to talk, and so soon, I can't very well say no. Just hold station behind the Ferrari, I hope the dust covers the fact that thig thing is really flying a foot off the ground."

Kim kisses his ear and skips over to the red armored car that they insist on calling a Ferrari. (yes, unless one of you knows how to handle a crash-box trany, she better be driving. It is remarkably fast & agile for what it is)
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

As the two get into the gravcoupe Lori looks at Damien. "I apologize for that explaination. My analysis of the situtation was that time was becoming a critical issue and the only way to move things forward was force the situation to resolution. I therefore reacted as... Please do not take this wrong, I reacted as programmed.
                              You will find both Kasakabe and I have some... differences and issues with social rules as we are from Alien societies.
                              I apologize for that in advance for both of us as Kasakabe is unlikely to as that is not something her culture does."

Comment

He waits until you are under way.
                                "If you are some sort of machine-intelligence, then I can understand our outbursts. But those other two... either they are stupid with exhaustion or just plain stupid. I've been on the run too, so I know the signs. Now... Pariah never collected on what I owe him, so I guess you are my debt to him... but what is all this about a nemesis and fighting evil? You realize that to almost any other people on this world, words like that are trite little jokes? Only people who have seen it first hand can...."
                                He closes his eyes and leans back on the head-rest.
                                "... that Pariah fellow is one clever Blanking-Blanker, isn't he?" He pulls out a pack of Camels.

"Okay, how long have you known that Blank-head, and what is this all about?"

(you can summarize if she tells the straight truth, I will accept a simple "blah" if you are feeding me back what I already posted for you)
                                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X