No announcement yet.

Chapter 2; Something Wicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(I just hope she only shoots up one bar and not all of them, but she did behave in japan bowling tempel excluded. )
    you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
      (I just hope she only shoots up one bar and not all of them, but she did behave in japan bowling tempel excluded. )
      I can see her teaching the kids to shoot, her way. Where she over-steps is showing them all, even the pre-teens. Rock flips, but Damien is okay with it. He even has a box of little 22s, as if he was saving those for just such an occasion.

On a quiet day when your crew wanders off into the wilderness for a picnic or some such thing, he takes Duke to see the new boat.

(not an exactly likeness, but the dry-dock is)

This is at the other end of the island, on a mini-island made mostly of stone.
      "No quad yet, the 20mms never came through, sorry. I can rig Chinese-made 14.5 mms, or I can see if we can scrounge a quad 50 in PI. Your choice, but choose soon. Might even be able to rig a way to hide the 50s, but I don't like those so much, myself. Prefer more range, personally.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        Kotomi takes the card. “Okay, I’ll make the reservations right after dinner. When are we leaving?”.

I leave the timing up to you, but its pretty expensive to leave right away. And, figure on an 18-hour flight. It's also a 50-minute ferry ride from Hong Kong to the Island. You will land at the obvious place; the docks on the west side of the island in that little protected harbor.

(the DM of this game has been there, I can get as detailed as you would like with this)
        OOC: I've been to Hong Kong twice if that helps...

Comment

(That is a nice dry dock)

"I prever the 14.5mm, we where chased by a hind once and the 14.5mm would have been of grrat help there."
          you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post
            OOC: I've been to Hong Kong twice if that helps...
            Oh, it does!
            I'll have something special for you tomorrow.

(That is a nice dry dock)

"I prever the 14.5mm, we where chased by a hind once and the 14.5mm would have been of grrat help there."
            "Okay, we can do that then. Easiest choice, really."
            He takes you aboard to show you the controls. "Was there anything left on your old boat that you wanted to get removed from it?"
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Some persnal effects, I am sure benny took all the eltronc stuff he needs but he would kill if I did not bring every thing over and the small arms locker a fn fal is not cheap.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Bold = dates
                Blue = relevant commentary
                Do enjoy the rest however!
                (I tried to pick some of the places I've been there)

Sept 12- 17 2009

Lori told Kotomi to wait on the reservations until her’s and Murotsu’s “real” passports (she used the term “travel documents”) came in.
                “We do not need to risk using the ones I produced for temporary use when we will have real ones shortly” she tells her.

Sept 18 2009
                While waiting Lori and Kotomi came up with a viable cover story for the three of them to travel to Hong Kong. It was decided they were going there to share research on quantum optics associated with Kotomi’s work at Cal Tech.
                With that Dr. K. Ichinose of Cal Tech arranges a visit with Dr. Shenwang Du head of the Quantum Physics Optics department at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).

Kotomi tells him that she is studying the gravitational effect on coherent light in a vacuum and gives him sufficient data in her e-mails to convince him that a visit from her is well worth his time. She also says she will be accompanied by one of her department’s doctorial candidates, Lori Sanparri.
                The visit is arranged for the first full week of October.

Kotomi and Lori proceed to get visas from the Chinese government, a travel authorization from Cal Tech (Lori telling her how this will act as cover for their movements), along with plane tickets and reservations at the Imperial Hotel Kowloon.
                “Should I reserve a car?” Kotomi asks while making the reservations.
                “No, we will use local transportation. It is unnecessary at this time for us to deal with a vehicle” Lori tells her.

Lori also spent the weeks up to their leaving learning Chinese. She mastered reading and writing it fluently in a matter of days to the amazement of Kotomi.
                “As a Ginsharian intelligence officer I was designed to have this capacity” she tells her in pilot voice. Her spoken Chinese is only passable. “I need to hear it spoken more before I can be fluent.”
                Kotomi tells her “It’s actually probably better you are only so-so at it. That makes you more believable being a Westerner (which she had to explain) than if you speak it like a native.
                Oh, when we are at the university over there, I suggest you stay out of ‘pilot mode’ if you can. That might cause problems.”
                “Understood.”

Departure Oct 3 2009

At LAX the TSA inspector doing their equipment (in two large fiberglass-like shipping cases marked “CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY PHYSICS DEPARTMENT” never mind the Ral Ranthan and Ginsharian markings on one of them...) asks what all of it does.
                Lori and Kotomi launch into a rehearsed tag teaming of him with an explanation on the gravitational effects of lasers in a vacuum, formation of micro-super dense quantum particles, and multi-verse theoretical constructs.
                He looks like a deer in the headlights. “Oh… Okay…”
                “We’re going to Hong Kong to demonstrate some of our applied work to Doctor Du at (HKST). We cleared it with both the State Department and Chinese government (showing him the papers).”
                The whole time the TSA guy ignores Kasakabe who fades on him.
                “So you guys are like scientists then…” he asks.
                “What did you think we do?” Lori says sarcastically. “…Fly a starship like Captain Kirk?!”
                The TSA guy shuts up, closes their cases, and releases them for loading.
                As the three walk away Lori looks at Kotomi. “Thank you very much for the help with appropriate responses.”

On the flight over Lori and Kotomi worked on her paper. Lori also showed her some of how FTL worked.

Turning her perscomm towards Kotomi and saying quietly “Sorry, I cannot use the holodisplay due to the presence of Aliens” Lori starts to explain faster-than-light travel to her.
                “The way it works is that the ‘drive’ creates an artificial gravity well. It is a four dimensional construct. Here (showing Kotomi the display) it looks like this in three dimensions.”

“The drive?” Kotomi asks.
                “Sorry, I cannot explain how the actual drive works in any useful detail as I was not designed or… programmed to an engineer” Lori replies. “I can only explain the effect and how it moves the ship when engaged.”
                “What happens is that time is a constant while the strength of the field generated by the drive determines the ‘depth’ of the well created. This is necessary due to the differences in time dilatation in different star systems. The stronger the drive field the deeper the well you can create and the further you can go faster than light. The most powerful drives can generate a well that can go about forty five to fifty light years. That seems to be the limit to how far you can stretch a gravity field, at least in my time.
                The time dilation problem is also why the ship has to be outside any local gravity wells to work properly. Only micro gravity can be present as this is relatively constant and can easily be accounted for in the formula solutions. This is a primary reason your Shadowness unit has difficulty functioning properly.
                What happens is that the ship moves through the well in fourth dimensional space and when we get to the far end of it the well collapses and it returns to normal space. Seven standard days time elapses in the well outside the ship regardless of the well’s depth. This can vary some if the calculations are off from the physical universe at the time of the jump and as much as ten or twelve days may elapse if the navigational inputs are very poorly done. This frequently happens with Alien, sorry, non-Ginsharian, ships as their crews do pay as much attention to this as a Ginsharian crew would.
                To jump I put in the destination coordinates as a three dimensional vector from the ship’s current position or the position from which we will jump. The ship’s computer does all the calculations.
                Here’s some of the basic formulas used” Lori proceeds to cover the display with incredibly complex looking mathematics.
                “The ‘well’ is represented as an elliptic parabolic feature and is, mathematically, a series of geometric curves in space solved as a vector product matrix that converts the four dimensions involved into a real time three dimensional construct. The points of this construct are solved as orthogonal curvilinear coordinates or as Laplacian spherical coordinates” she tells Kotomi.

Kotomi looks carefully at the equations. “So, I would solve the matrix as a straight forward integration that combines all the points of the coordinates?”

“Correct” Lori replies with a smile.

“Once you explained how gravity actually works it’s really quite simple!” Kotomi excitedly replies. She hugs Lori. “You have saved me at least ten years, maybe more, of work and I would have never though to use Einstein‘s equations with time as a constant! So, what’s the next step…?”

Arrival, Hong Kong 4 October 2009

The flight arrived in Hong Kong mid afternoon on Sunday 4 October. The three took a cab to the hotel in Kowloon. Kotomi managed to cajole Lori into going with her and Kasakabe to a teppanyaki restaurant in a large mall about two blocks from the hotel.

“They have real Kobe beef there!” she gushed.
                To her surprise, Lori upon trying hers exclaimed “This is just like cube ninety-three on Ginshar!” Lori also gushes about the very clean and austere lines of the restaurant and how they make her feel more comfortable.
                Murotsu just dumps heaps of wasabi on everything and demands more liquor...

Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 30 Aug 13, 01:06.

Comment

Thats exactly what I was hoping for.
                  But I took a tumble down a flight of stairs and the meds are kicking my ass.
                  I'll get this tomorrow, I swear
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Thats exactly what I was hoping for.
                    But I took a tumble down a flight of stairs and the meds are kicking my ass.
                    I'll get this tomorrow, I swear
                    As though the stairs didn't...?

Comment

With that Dr. K. Ichinose of Cal Tech arranges a visit with Dr. Shenwang Du head of the Quantum Physics Optics department at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST).
                      If that actually exists, I'd like to see a link. For myself, I mean.
                      Sounds fascinating.

At LAX the TSA inspector doing their equipment (in two large fiberglass-like shipping cases marked “CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY PHYSICS DEPARTMENT”
                      I need to know exactly what was in those crates.

Arrival, Hong Kong 4 October 2009
                      There was one of those crosswinds that day, and the girls are treated to one of those landings that HK is infamous for. Kotomi is nauseated but takes it in stride, but the other two girls may be a little more than amazed.
                      They know how (un)sophisticated these aircraft are, and what it takes to land a jumbo jet in a crowded area on a short runway with a 50-kph crosswind. And nobody on board was surprised that it worked, except for the 2 women from another time.
                      I think it might be similar to what people today would think of one of those Captains of 150 years ago, who would back a sail or steam ship into a rocky cove, one not many times the size of their ship, and do it in bad weather over and over again without navigation aides of any sort.
                      The lumber ships of Oregon and northern California are a study in themselves.

But anyway...
                      The food is wonderful, but I don't think the girls are used to that sort of thing. They are not sick, but they won't be feeling 100% for a couple of hours afterwards.

And, the bad-guys already blew it, in a minor way.
                      The lobby and elevator are pretty crowded back at your hotel. You get into the elevator with half a dozen other people and once young man wearing bi-focals steps back and the last second when he sees Murotsu, a horrified expression on his face. You can scan him with ESP until your elevator and his retreat takes him out of range.
                      His thoughts were that he was supposed to get to your room and plant something there, some sort of surveillance device that he really does not understand. But, it was a last-minute thing, the Tong won't hold it against him if you girls are fast eaters... will they? If only they hadn't gone to the Kowloon side. They might even make it to the island without any warning now...
                      And that's it.

Like I said, its less than an hour to Cheung Chau from HK by standard Ferry, but boats cna be rented. There are no cars or trucks on that island, there is no room for them.
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

As though the stairs didn't...?
                        Nope, I busted them up pretty good

Some persnal effects, I am sure benny took all the eltronc stuff he needs but he would kill if I did not bring every thing over and the small arms locker a fn fal is not cheap.
                        (I need to draw up fresh plans for you, the ones I had for that boat are all faded now, being pencil drawings from the 1980s)

The PT Boat has a buyer in Shanghai, of all places. The highest bidder drove the price up to almost half of what your new boat costs. Grumbling, Damien orders up a full re-load of all the ammo all your weapon-systems can hold. That means if you empty your tubes, racks and guns once you will be able to replace everything at the Church in Ranapor.

Rock and Revy went to clear out the PT boat.
                        They return as heroes... something that seemed a ridiculous prospect this morning. Revy was pretty "harsh" during her foray into being a weapons instructor (that's how they put it, anyway. For kids, they are not very impressed with foul language and smacks to their ears). Things got even worse when half a dozen of them turned up at the same beach R & R were skinny-dipping in at the opposite end of the island.

Anyway... R & R went to clean the boat out for you and the mines had to be cleared, but the same intrepid kids that put them there. The same twerps that already knew enough about guns to learn little from Revy managed to botch this little operation. One Thai boy that is supposed to be 15 but looks 12 (malnutrition at an early age) lost track of his string in the mud and stepped on something that went 'click'.

Rock went right in, chasing the other 2 kids off and out-shouting Revy to make her got get a clamp. he thought the mud would be soft enough for him to make the mind safe by clamping the trigger down. Revy ran to the boat and back, going part of the way through a stretch that had not been cleared yet. While she was doing that , Rock wiggled his fingers in and found that the boy had stepped, not on a mine, but an old turtle-shell.

Good thing, his idea would not have worked.
                        Damien is going to be difficult to deal with for the next couple of days (he spends hours explaining to them all that they are not the little commandos they thought they were), but everyone else is very impressed with Rock, and amazed that Revy decided to support him rather than leave.

Two days later, Damien takes R&R to show them something in his hangar at the airport. Dutch is not invited, and while they are gone, that girl/woman Vondonna sits next to you on a porch railing. She stares out into space, then says; "Its not going to be you."
                        Dutch will probably want to know what that means.
                        "When our Auntie died last Christmas, Uncle Damien lost more than just her, he knew he had to start looking for someone to take his place, inherit all this and take us on, finish what he started." This 20-year-old looks at you with her curiously old eyes. "You don't want it, and now we can see that in you. 10 minutes after you found out what happened with the mines, you were ready to laugh about it. That's not a bad thing, its just the wrong thing, for us."

Before Dutch can get upset about something that he really had no control over, she continues; "That Chinese millionaire is coming in a plane that is big enough for 24 people. That is a bit much for a crew to ferry your boat with, yes? We should go tell Damien, they will be here in 3 hours."
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

If that actually exists, I'd like to see a link. For myself, I mean.
                          Sounds fascinating.
                          http://physics.ust.hk/dusw/

I actually used the real department head...

Comment

Sunday 4 October 2009

Murotsu tells the two as they return to the room that and “enemy” tried to tail her. Upon getting back to the room Lori ran an extensive and exhaustive sweep for surveillance gear on the room. She found just one poorly installed listening device. Rather than remove it she simply gave it a false feed of meaningless conversation that would make it appear that they did not find it.

Monday 5 October
                            Early on Monday Kotomi and Lori headed out to HKUST with their gear. Two hotel porters helped load it in the cab that Lori made sure to randomly select to avoid a plant. Murotsu remained at the hotel to guard the room and wait for their return before she would set out to Cheung Cheu Island and the Warwick Hotel.

At HKUST the day went by quickly as Kotomi and Dr. Du, along with his students and Lori, discussed light movement in a zero gravity environment. Kotomi’s (well, Lori’s) new equations on this impressed everyone and they set up an experiment to test them. Lori and Kotomi were back at the hotel about 5 pm. That is when Murotsu left to go on her reconnaissance mission.

Lori digs two yellow packages out of their gear. These look something like MRE's. Handing one to Kotomi she tells her "We will eat in tonight. This is a Ginsharian food pack. Past experiance with non-Ginsharians tells me you will find it an exceptionally good meal."

For this she was wearing a full set of thermoptic body armor. These clothes looked much like a martial arts set of attire in midnight blue. She was also carrying the two RATS that Lori brought and a basic controller for them along with her usual arsenal of blades.

Murotsu left the room in thermoptic cloak using Kotomi going to get ice as a cover. She faded on the elevator and out the hotel lobby. Several blocks away she took a cab to the Kowloon side ferry terminal to go to the Hong Kong side.

Once in Hong Kong proper she took the #5 to Cheung Cheu Island. She walked aboard with the usual multitude of Chinese that were going there.

On the ferry a Chinese lady sitting next to her asks her for something (Murotsu looks very much like Chinese). Murotsu answers in Ral Ranthan that she doesn’t understand her. The lady looks a bit oddly at her but her foreign language is less of an interest than English would be. Murotsu says “Mongolian” tapping her chest. The lady nods and says something that indicates she recognizes Murotsu doesn’t speak Chinese but is Asian. The ferry arrived shortly after sunset.

At Cheung Cheu Island she got off the ferry faded to lessen anyone noticing her. Murotsu walks up Tung Wan Road towards the Warwick Hotel, part of the sidewalk crowd. At a convenient location about a thousand meters from the hotel she releases the two RATS and then checks to ensure that Lori has control of them.

Rather than go to the hotel she simply finds a spot near it that she can sit hidden and using her psionics looks over the hotel using clairvoyance. Between the drones and Murotsu‘s psionic snooping they look over the area around the hotel for several hours to determine who called them and who their “enemy“ is.

Murotsu returns to Kowloon on the ferry the next morning after recovering the drones. She makes every effort to be inconspicuous making the return trip.

Comment

Nope, I busted them up pretty good

(I need to draw up fresh plans for you, the ones I had for that boat are all faded now, being pencil drawings from the 1980s)

The PT Boat has a buyer in Shanghai, of all places. The highest bidder drove the price up to almost half of what your new boat costs. Grumbling, Damien orders up a full re-load of all the ammo all your weapon-systems can hold. That means if you empty your tubes, racks and guns once you will be able to replace everything at the Church in Ranapor.

Rock and Revy went to clear out the PT boat.
                              They return as heroes... something that seemed a ridiculous prospect this morning. Revy was pretty "harsh" during her foray into being a weapons instructor (that's how they put it, anyway. For kids, they are not very impressed with foul language and smacks to their ears). Things got even worse when half a dozen of them turned up at the same beach R & R were skinny-dipping in at the opposite end of the island.

Anyway... R & R went to clean the boat out for you and the mines had to be cleared, but the same intrepid kids that put them there. The same twerps that already knew enough about guns to learn little from Revy managed to botch this little operation. One Thai boy that is supposed to be 15 but looks 12 (malnutrition at an early age) lost track of his string in the mud and stepped on something that went 'click'.

Rock went right in, chasing the other 2 kids off and out-shouting Revy to make her got get a clamp. he thought the mud would be soft enough for him to make the mind safe by clamping the trigger down. Revy ran to the boat and back, going part of the way through a stretch that had not been cleared yet. While she was doing that , Rock wiggled his fingers in and found that the boy had stepped, not on a mine, but an old turtle-shell.

Good thing, his idea would not have worked.
                              Damien is going to be difficult to deal with for the next couple of days (he spends hours explaining to them all that they are not the little commandos they thought they were), but everyone else is very impressed with Rock, and amazed that Revy decided to support him rather than leave.

Two days later, Damien takes R&R to show them something in his hangar at the airport. Dutch is not invited, and while they are gone, that girl/woman Vondonna sits next to you on a porch railing. She stares out into space, then says; "Its not going to be you."
                              Dutch will probably want to know what that means.
                              "When our Auntie died last Christmas, Uncle Damien lost more than just her, he knew he had to start looking for someone to take his place, inherit all this and take us on, finish what he started." This 20-year-old looks at you with her curiously old eyes. "You don't want it, and now we can see that in you. 10 minutes after you found out what happened with the mines, you were ready to laugh about it. That's not a bad thing, its just the wrong thing, for us."

Before Dutch can get upset about something that he really had no control over, she continues; "That Chinese millionaire is coming in a plane that is big enough for 24 people. That is a bit much for a crew to ferry your boat with, yes? We should go tell Damien, they will be here in 3 hours."
                              Well the RnR would come to a end sooner or later,

"well it is your island so you lead the way.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Monday 5 October
                                At HKUST the day went by quickly as Kotomi and Dr. Du, along with his students and Lori, discussed light movement in a zero gravity environment. Kotomi’s (well, Lori’s) new equations on this impressed everyone and they set up an experiment to test them. Lori and Kotomi were back at the hotel about 5 pm. That is when Murotsu left to go on her reconnaissance mission.

Now, Kotomi has been following your lead and learning all she can from you, and subtly stroking your ego as you work your equations to advance her line of research. Today, as she and her Chinese friend share the delights of pure research (China encourages exchanges like this, they understand the value of innovation and how their own system & culture never seem to produce much of it) and Kotomi keeps stiching all this together and makes connections that niether of you saw coming.
                                Simply put; Lori is like a grad student with a photographic memory, and you just realized that you are sitting next to Tesla at the height of his creativity.

She plugs what she has into what he has (lets skip the techno-babble) and what you have is a a biological map of Hong Kong. People appear as grains of sand, and there are a LOT of them in HK. Its fascinating to watch, and Lori can see the interesting part before the others do.
                                You hope so, anyway.
                                There is an annomaly, this grain looks like a diamond to you, and it shows right where you are standing. Well, in the building you are standing in. If the resolution was good enough to show people as more than grains of sand you could be more sure, but then you glance at Cheung Chau, you get your confirmation. Uh oh.... not just one, but two of these diamond-hard anomolies, very close to each other.
                                Lori cna step away to check her RAT units, and one is having difficulties...

At Cheung Cheu Island she got off the ferry faded to lessen anyone noticing her. Murotsu walks up Tung Wan Road towards the Warwick Hotel, part of the sidewalk crowd. At a convenient location about a thousand meters from the hotel she releases the two RATS and then checks to ensure that Lori has control of them.

Rather than go to the hotel she simply finds a spot near it that she can sit hidden and using her psionics looks over the hotel using clairvoyance. Between the drones and Murotsu‘s psionic snooping they look over the area around the hotel for several hours to determine who called them and who their “enemy“ is.
                                Murotsu is also having difficulties. This is a small island, but the density of people is pretty high in the exact spot you have chosen. Its also a little distracting, how these primitives live and what their expectations are.
                                Inside that hotel are fewer people, and two on the top floor catch your attention. They have commo gear, telescopes, Binos and feed from several live Cams on that very street; looking for you.
                                Imagine their frustration, its almost funny.
                                Until you find out from Lori that somebody has trapped a RAT.

Its south, in an alley just off Hill Side Road, and due to the nature of how its is trapped I will assume that Murotsu will go to take care of this, soon. Some old man has it in a tub of water and is holding a metal rake over it, looking at it curiously. There is a good chance that if the RAT tries to force its way out of the tub and touches the copper-aluminum tines of the rake at the same time, it could be damaged or disabled.

Here is the scene before you;

The odd old man is sitting on that stool in the center bottom, and the RAT is in that wooden tub.
                                (You have to forgive me putting an action in your Charecter's mouth, but as you will see its needed to move this along a little, and also not terribly important in the long run)
                                Murotsu dials down her Cloak to get the civilian's attention. Since he seems somewhat repulsed by what he has trapped it should not be difficult to get him to release it.
                                ((Insert words/an action here))
                                Seconds later, the enemy reveal themselves to you. One opens the window above the door, the handle of something that is probably a crossbow held casually in one hand. Two more come out the doorway, wearing western "sweats" and holding weapons just out of sight, and something tells you that they are not fire-arms. Yes, you can hear the sound of some sort of chain unwinding. There is another in the back corner wearing coveralls and has a wooden staff now. One of the ones that stepped out of the Doorway snaps something in the local dialect at the man on the stool... something harsh and dismissive, barely even looking at him.

That man gives them a 'what the hell?' look, and then looks at you again... and past you. He confirms your suspicion by holding up 3 fingers where he hopes these Thugs can't see them; 3 more coming up behind you.

Murotsu will be delighted at the prospect of a fight like this, but there is a revelation that will be at the back of her mind; This ambush could not have been arranged in seconds and you cammo was working normally.
                                Somewhere on this island, someone has something that can detect you. The most obvious answer; a Human with second-sight.
                                You contact with the more exotic side of this ancient world is just beginning.
                                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X