X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter 2; Something Wicked

Natuna Besar, late March 2012
    Originally posted by andrewza View Post
    "We will give it some thought, but has you said it is a nice sunday and we in no rush, you were our only job planned. Do the guys we tangoed with have any link"
    "Hm, I may. Might even take a job from them later on, just to make sure. You have not told anyone that I contacted you, have you?"

Now, this really is a relaxed place. It has to be, for the sake of these kids. Damien has been doing rescue work for the last 11 years, and taking the most troubled among them into his own home. This worked well until his wife died a few months ago. The older kids are taking up the slack but its only a matter of time before things start to unravel here, especially if he leaves for an extended period of time.

The local town is no thriving meteropolis, but it has everything you need and all basic, non-lewd or violent forms of entertainment... just the sort of place where raising a family seems like a good idea.

Oh,his idea of a little walking around money (yes, he has done well, and is willing to tell Dutch how a good retirement in this business is spossible)

For each of the crew.

(might take a while but I will have updates for the rest of you by the end of my night, taking the simple ones first)
    Last edited by The Exorcist; 09 Aug 13, 20:15.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

The US, mid-2009

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
    I presume we're getting around to where I am. Which is on the East Coast....where my cargo bird landed me at. If nothing's going on, I'll load up my truck and head out (money, this odd gourd thing, and swapping the 380 for one of my normal revolvers as I head out).
    It all goes well (that's even farther from your home than Texas, but okay) except for one thing;
    Driving through the most ho-hum and hum-drum state of the Union one night (yup Ohio) when you get a shock. It feels like something landed on the bed of your truck. At the same time something huge and dark rushes over your truck, causing a whirlwind that almost sends your truck spinning off the road.

Chris makes his best driving save ever and ends up on the side of the road, still on all 4 wheels.
    Yes, the gourd is gone... and now that it is, you wonder what made you want to lug that thing around in the first place.
    And, there are some gouges in your bed and tailgate.... Chris in not going to like looking at them too closely, or ponder the implications of what they look like... but fixing them won't be cheap.

He has enough money to take it easy for a while, but it's summer time and this is the best time to find honest work.

In mid-September he gets a call from Kendra. That stranger is still in a comma, but her last visit there was odd; The Feds were there to ask her questions about this guy and other visitors he might have had.
    And about some sort of nasty red sand that was found in his bed, as if he has been sleep-walking or something.
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by T. A. Gardner View Post

Sept 8 Boulder con’t.

The first guy headed for Lori takes two swift kicks to the face well before he reaches her. He crashes into the second who sprawls onto the sand covered floor of the room face first.
      Lori, hand already in purse, comes out with a raspberry pink automatic pistol. She aims it at the one man with a firearm and puts a three round burst in rapid succession into his chest, center mass. (there are no casings as the ammunition is caseless)
      Unlike his subsonic lead rounds (I assume this to be the case due to the suppressor on the gun) she is firing the equivalent of 10mm APFSDS rounds that will plow clean through contemporary body armor like a cheap T-shirt. His chest explodes as the rounds tear through him at well above sonic speeds.
      She continues to fire three round bursts, carefully aimed first at the two men that attacked her leaving both dead on the floor.
      The two attacking Kotomi are engulfed in sand tentacles and Lori adds a finale to both shooting them three times each. In under ten seconds all five have been hit three times center mass.

“Kotomi! We need to leave NOW!”
      One free action should not be interpreted as permission to kill everyone in the room.
      However, given the new situation it hardly matters.

Lori is not what anyone would call psycic or even very sensitive, but she feels a wrongness in the air that wasn't in the room a heartbeat ago, and even the partly unconscious Kotomi out in the hall moans in fear.

The only thing that can save Lori is her fast reflexes. The Man who fell to earth is suddenly being devoured by his own sand... which is not really sand at all, as was warned. Its hideous to see him being taken apart the same way he took the room apart, but the same thing it starting to happen to everyone else in the room. Your pistol is not so Pink anymore, but your hand is getting that way as layers of skin vanish in an eyeblink.

You can leave, but to get you here in the first place, Kotomi had to sign you in. She's too banged up to move very well on her own right now.

Your trace of that call lead right back to the same hotel where they claim not to have a room 100. And, a quick search shows the start with 101 there.
      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by The Exorcist View Post
        Natuna Besar, late March 2012

"Hm, I may. Might even take a job from them later on, just to make sure. You have not told anyone that I contacted you, have you?"

Now, this really is a relaxed place. It has to be, for the sake of these kids. Damien has been doing rescue work for the last 11 years, and taking the most troubled among them into his own home. This worked well until his wife died a few months ago. The older kids are taking up the slack but its only a matter of time before things start to unravel here, especially if he leaves for an extended period of time.

The local town is no thriving meteropolis, but it has everything you need and all basic, non-lewd or violent forms of entertainment... just the sort of place where raising a family seems like a good idea.

Oh,his idea of a little walking around money (yes, he has done well, and is willing to tell Dutch how a good retirement in this business is spossible)

For each of the crew.

(might take a while but I will have updates for the rest of you by the end of my night, taking the simple ones first)
        "No one knows that I even have the note, any link is not from my side, but when we left there was some freaky old man watching us that we never saw before."

Looking down at the coins told him that he was right to think that there was more gold than just the note. "Is this your idea of walking arround money, I am impressed. Reirerment must be good?"
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Chris takes his time, getting his truck repaired and getting some 'honest work' done. He spends some off and on time with Kendra, but purposefully avoids going back to the hospital. The Feds want to ask questions....then it's better he just avoid any potential situations.....
          Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

"No one knows that I even have the note, any link is not from my side, but when we left there was some freaky old man watching us that we never saw before."
            "A 'freaky old man', in Ranapor? That place must be getting soft if people like that are walking around out in the open."
            This talk will continue in the smoking room.
            Looking down at the coins told him that he was right to think that there was more gold than just the note. "Is this your idea of walking arround money, I am impressed. Reirerment must be good?"
            "Its only a couple of grand in US money, not that Dollars mean much any more. People with no cash and too much time on their hands tend to get into trouble, so this is how I buy you good behavior. You, and your crew. Make sure they know this ain't Ranapor, and we don't (bleep) where we eat, okay?"

"Oh, retirement? I exploit my contacts, and as you can see I stay busy in other ways. I saved them, they saved me too... but I don't want to bore you with all that yet.
            This is a large complex, you can all find rooms of your own, but don't go out in town with guns showing. Djakarta cuts me a lot of slack because I keep the riff-raff out of this island rather than bringing it in.
            Since you all speak English you can play the part of tourists for a couple of weeks, and I have a good supply of water-sports gear and even jet-skiis. Just don't ask me how the damn things work, that nonsense is for younger bods than mine."

For 3-4 hours a day he will be locked away in his study, "working", and the kids spend roughly the same amount of time with their tutors. Other than that, its all pretty open, and everyone is free to indulge in mutual curiosity or seeing the sights.
            (you can do as you like, even with the crew members, or flip forward a ways)
            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"A 'freaky old man', in Ranapor? That place must be getting soft if people like that are walking around out in the open."
              This talk will continue in the smoking room.

"Its only a couple of grand in US money, not that Dollars mean much any more. People with no cash and too much time on their hands tend to get into trouble, so this is how I buy you good behavior. You, and your crew. Make sure they know this ain't Ranapor, and we don't (bleep) where we eat, okay?"

"Oh, retirement? I exploit my contacts, and as you can see I stay busy in other ways. I saved them, they saved me too... but I don't want to bore you with all that yet.
              This is a large complex, you can all find rooms of your own, but don't go out in town with guns showing. Djakarta cuts me a lot of slack because I keep the riff-raff out of this island rather than bringing it in.
              Since you all speak English you can play the part of tourists for a couple of weeks, and I have a good supply of water-sports gear and even jet-skiis. Just don't ask me how the damn things work, that nonsense is for younger bods than mine."

For 3-4 hours a day he will be locked away in his study, "working", and the kids spend roughly the same amount of time with their tutors. Other than that, its all pretty open, and everyone is free to indulge in mutual curiosity or seeing the sights.
              (you can do as you like, even with the crew members, or flip forward a ways)
              "I mean freaky for Ranapor."

Whil might has well go seeing the sights, will try to get revy to not walk around packing heat. She gets roudy when drunk.
              you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

South Dakota, September-ish, 2009
                Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                Chris takes his time, getting his truck repaired and getting some 'honest work' done. He spends some off and on time with Kendra, but purposefully avoids going back to the hospital. The Feds want to ask questions....then it's better he just avoid any potential situations.....
                A conversation with one of the fellows back at the repair shop may come back to haunt him later; "What, did you get mugged by Godzilla or sumthin'?"
                It was said in a joking way of course... insane to think those were really claw-marks. The spread between the gouges was nearly two feet.
                Just insane... really.

Kendra has stopped visiting that stranger as well. She had only been there half a dozen times in the last year, only continuing because nobody else ever goes there.
                Nobody at all... except for one curious old gent who the Feds wanted to know about. She describes him for you, and you saw him too that day.
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"I mean freaky for Ranapor."
                  "Like, something besides a target for beginners to start thier reps by taking him down? Tell me about this one, in all the detail you remember."

Whil might has well go seeing the sights, will try to get revy to not walk around packing heat. She gets roudy when drunk.
                  Look, we don't care if she goes walking around naked (you can get away with that on about half the island) but if she gets violent in a big way there will be hell to pay. The South China Sea is a major hot-spot and Indonesia has no garrison here because they assume that the Heretic keeps a lid on things. Indonesia prefers to stay out of the various power-plays going on, but they can land 1,000 men at the airport in a matter of hours.
                  Let's make sure Revy understands the situation, eh?
                  Wanna keep her busy, lets have her teach the teenagers to shoot.
                  "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

While waiting for some player response I came up with this-
                    Its a thing that appears on the blogs, or is read on the radio from time to time during 2009 as well as 2012, getting more popular or dreaded towards the alter year, and is indicative of the atmosphere of this world.

Violence in the air…

People have been talking a lot about violence recently, and more than talking.
                    Sudden murders and wars of attrition,
                    news flashes of blood for dinner and fear for breakfast.
                    People are worried about violence.

Nobody feels safe; duels break out on busy roadsides, riots raging out of control while drug-addicts and reports dance on the bloodstains and bystanders gnaw on each other’s souls…. strangers are everywhere carrying guns and authorization to shoot on sight.
                    There are rumors of treason and corruption and people walking around with no pulse.
                    Crime is rampant, and even children are loosing the will to live,

Bridges collapse, grids go dark plunging entire regions into darkness. Whole families go missing, never to be seen again. People who used to be in charge are walking around wal-eyed with their hair standing on end, complaining about voices in their heads and religious leaders babble pointlessly about how their own sprits feel like animals ready to burst from unjust cages.

People are entertained by violence in far-away places, but when a man drives his truck through the plate-glass of a MacDonalds and then opens fire with a shotgun on women and children, only then does it become clear to them what it really is.
                    Energy surges at odd times, something that people are even more reluctant to talk about or understand, but when the air around your head crackles and you take a jolt when you touch your own self you have to wonder, or just get stoned enough to forget your own name.

One thing becomes clear; nobody is safe when other people’s hate starts to run amok. They thought they already knew that; All those books and movies and circular discussions about past mistakes made by whole nations and all the solemn vows “This must never happen again”…. But they keep setting themselves up for more by accepting leaders who do the same old things the same old ways while their supports sit back enthralled by the entertainment value of it all.
                    The question becomes unavoidable for the true scholar; is there something fundamentally wrong with humanity?
                    Last edited by The Exorcist; 13 Aug 13, 02:14.
                    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Some minor updates for everyone-
                      (its been a week and the break was well-timed for my part, but lets get to the good parts. I just need some signs of life from you folks so I know this is still alive)

South Dakota, October 2009;
                      A call from Kendra; The Hospital called her to let her know that the mystery-man woke up for about 20 minutes, but is back in a coma again. It might mean nothing but is considered a "good sign".He might actually recover.
                      No sign of the Feds lately.

Later than same day, you hear one of those odd coast2coast sort of stories. Last night something weird happened in a quiet corner of the Black Hills; a circle 3 miles across was seen from the air, inside which everything was dead. Dead center was what appeared to be a giant gourd, smashed wide open. One caller to the radio show insists that 5 Federal Agents were among the dead birds, bugs and other critters found there.

September-October, Southern California;

Leaving CDC Boudler was no bug trick, everyone was trying to get out of there by that point. (it was a revelation to discover that the place had its own squad of armed goons at its disposal, but its becoming increasingly clear that this is no longer unusual in large Govt buildings)

The fall-out is relatively light; a couple of Bright-eyed boys from the Inquisition stop by to talk to Kotomi, and Lorri incidentally, to ask about what happened.
                      "You really expect us to believe that you just happened by to show your Girl-Friend the sleeping celebrity, and he just happened to self-destruct that very same day?"
                      However, its just stupid enough to be true, and men trained to spot the truth can't deny that you both believe it is true.

But, is it?
                      In the days to come, Kotomi starts to wonder. She becomes increasingly guilt-stricken and morose ... not a good thing, since Lorri has the feeling that you are being watched.
                      It could take 3 years to complete her work if you get cut off from the resources of Ca-Tec, but it would still be do-able.

The Warwick hotel on Cheung Chau island off Hong-Hong does exist. Its is a 7-story white building at the south end of the largest beach on that small bit of land. Its modern but not chintzy, with a lobby made mostly of black & white marble. Its not the sort of building that you would associate with gangsters, but the rest of the island is a little on the wild side, and always has been.

April 23rd, Natuna Besar;
                      (I would like a little clarification on how must fraternization Duke is allowing his crew as far as the locals and Damien's collection of orphans, and how he is spending his time there)

Two thing happen on this day-
                      Vondonna shows you a picture, "Is this him?" Its the guy that You saw on the docks alright, standing by a flagpole that tickles your memory... its looks like the mast from an antique ship, hoop-rings for the lookouts and all.
                      Its a profile shot which makes it hard to tell... or should, but you get a spine-weevil that is even more alarming than when you saw him from 100 meters away.

After dinner that night, Damien seems restless. "Hey Dutch, how would you like to see your new Boat?"
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Note: Items in blue are the relevant short version. The rest is for your reading enjoyment.

Sept 8-9 2009
                        Boulder turned into a disaster. Lori tried to help the man but it quickly became clear to her that he was either delusional or just dangerous, possibly insanely so. Kotomi’s safety was paramount, all else really did not matter. Without Kotomi there was no possibility of returning home.
                        More and more security rushed by her towards the man’s room as she helped the dazed and limp Kotomi away and out of the facility. They paid scant attention to the two shouting and running towards the room many with weapons out.

The next day the two flew back to California. When Kotomi checked the news there were reports the facility they had been at was badly damaged. The government spokesmen said there had been an “industrial accident” involving “chemicals” at the facility. They said the cause was still being investigated and the number of dead was not known. Kotomi just sat on the couch still half in shock from the events of the past two days.

Lori covered the incident at the apartment with Murotsu by telling the management that someone had tried to break into her unit as she and her roommate were out of town for the past week. She used a mild version of one of her aphrodisiacs on him to make him more receptive to the story. That took care of that problem even if building security had increased some due to the double murder that occurred across the street. Police were still looking for a possible suspect in those but had few leads and those they did have pointed at criminal / gang violence as a cause.

Murotsu used her clairvoyant abilities to look at the Boulder facility several times. The men Lori said she shot were literally dissolved into next to nothing by the sand and there was no evidence she had done anything other than escape. It was also clear that the authorities were uninterested in Kotomi and Lori who were seen as just a couple of Cal-Tech researchers in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A government agent did stop by the apartment to briefly interview the two. Kotomi was still in poor shape and sobbed when he started asking questions. Lori said she was a grad assistant and played “dumb blonde” working on a “Mrs.” degree to him. He quickly figured the two to be useless witnesses who saw “nothing” and told them it should stay that way.

Sept 11 2009
                        Murotsu tried to give Kotomi a moral boost by using her awareness skills and giving her a healing touch. This had only limited effect. Both she and Lori were worried about Kotomi’s state.
                        Lori tried a different approach. “Kotomi, tomorrow is Sixday… sorry, Saturday. I promised to give you a lesson on flying the gravcoupe. I think we should still do that.”

When the two returned late in the afternoon Kotomi was feeling much better. She could not stop laughing over their buzzing an airliner and she told Murotsu that Lori scared her with some of her maneuvers so badly that she wet herself.
                        Murotsu just smiled at her and replied “Do me too! Lori do that everybody!”
                        Later Kotomi asked Lori “So, can I fly the gravcoupe now?”
                        “Only on routine flights and supervised” Lori tells her. “You still need considerably more practice.”
                        “Thank you” Kotomi replies hugging Lori. “I feel a lot better now.”

The three that evening are having take out. Kotomi and Lori ordered Japanese from the restaurant down the street while Kasakabe got Thai that was so hot and spicy everyone could smell it.
                        “I freaked out over Colorado and you handled it like that sort of thing happens everyday” Kotomi says to Lori as they eat. “We’re here having take out because you refuse to walk a block outside to a restaurant!”
                        Murotsu waves a hand at them. “All crazy! Different crazy! All crazy, crazy!”
                        They all laugh at that. She’s right though… Kotomi thinks.

Kotomi and Lori sip small cups of sake they got with their meal. Murotsu is slamming down another glass of vodka with apparently little or no effect on her.

”Hong Kong?” she asks.
                        “Yes, we will have to go” Lori replies.
                        “No loose end.”
                        “Understood, concur.”
                        “So we’re going to Hong Kong?!” Kotomi asks.
                        “No, you need to stay here and complete the paper” Lori replies. “We will go.”
                        “I speak Japanese and passable Chinese, neither of you do. I can work on the paper on my laptop” Kotomi tells both of them in a stubborn streak.

“Muro?” Lori asks.
                        “All in equal risk. Safer with.”
                        “Understood. Concur.”
                        Sometimes Lori sounds just like a computer… But I know she’ll get really mad if I say that and it really isn’t fair to her… Kotomi thinks.
                        “You can go” Lori says more conversationally. “Can you make the airplane reservations?”

”We’re not taking the gravcoupe?” Kotomi asks clearly disappointed.
                        “No. Unnecessary risk and exposure.” Lori replies..

“We buzzed an airliner yesterday!” Kotomi reminds her.
                        “Yes, but I studied this situation watching vids on something called The History Channel. They discussed Unidentified Flying Objects and how these are dismissed. It was clear the crew of that airplane would not be believed.
                        Kotomi just looks stunned and shakes her head in disbelief.

“Oh, Kotomi, can you do something to make sure this time we do not have to go in that part of the airplane with sweaty Aliens please? I do not think it would be good for any of us to have to endure that.”
                        “The upgrade is called ‘business class’ “ Kotomi replies. That still sounds so weird! An Alien from another planet calling people here Aliens!
                        “Oh, how do I pay for this? They will want a card or something.”
                        Lori turns to get her school bag. While she is Murotsu produces a credit card like a magic trick.
                        Kotomi looks skeptically at the card. “That isn’t stolen or anything is it?”
                        Murotsu laughs. “Learn good! No! Lori order. Come in mail yesterday. Lori calalli, calalli computers!”
                        Kotomi takes the card. “Okay, I’ll make the reservations right after dinner. When are we leaving?”.

“Salamat!” Murotsu exclaims as she downs a big gulp of vodka.
                        How can she do that?! Kotomi cringes.
                        “Salamat means ‘to victory’ and is like a toast” Lori tells her thinking she does not understand. “It is Ral Ranthan.”
                        “Next you two will have me learning Klingon!” Kotomi laughs.
                        The two look at her oddly.
                        “Klingon?” Lori asks.
                        “It’s from a show on television. I’ll find some episodes for you to watch” Kotomi tells her.
                        “Understood.”
                        Last edited by T. A. Gardner; 22 Aug 13, 21:52.

Comment

"Like, something besides a target for beginners to start thier reps by taking him down? Tell me about this one, in all the detail you remember."

Look, we don't care if she goes walking around naked (you can get away with that on about half the island) but if she gets violent in a big way there will be hell to pay. The South China Sea is a major hot-spot and Indonesia has no garrison here because they assume that the Heretic keeps a lid on things. Indonesia prefers to stay out of the various power-plays going on, but they can land 1,000 men at the airport in a matter of hours.
                          Let's make sure Revy understands the situation, eh?
                          Wanna keep her busy, lets have her teach the teenagers to shoot.

"what is to say, he was a creepy old man, never seen him before"

"we under stand, getting we will keep a low profile"

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Kotomi takes the card. “Okay, I’ll make the reservations right after dinner. When are we leaving?”.

I leave the timing up to you, but its pretty expensive to leave right away. And, figure on an 18-hour flight. It's also a 50-minute ferry ride from Hong Kong to the Island. You will land at the obvious place; the docks on the west side of the island in that little protected harbor.

(the DM of this game has been there, I can get as detailed as you would like with this)
                            "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

"what is to say, he was a creepy old man, never seen him before"
                              "He seems to have made an impression. I might just seek him out myself, especially if there is a new player on Ranapor."

"we under stand, getting we will keep a low profile"
                              Which would mean Revy obeying your orders better than she ever has before....

Benny has his GF come out, Damien is fine with that and even gives them something to do, for some extra cash. He has them tracking Pirate activity... with an eye to suppressing it. Temporarily, most likely, but still an odd move for him.

I'll make a few rolls and get back to you with the Revy/Rock situation.
                              "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X