Fires of the Lost, Episode 1: A Chain of Events

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires of the Lost, Episode 1: A Chain of Events

Kag' Knarr looks at his caravan. Merchants, travelers, Ogre slaves, all arrayed in line for the journey to the Jentara Mountains.

"Jenkins, get up here."

"Yes?"

"We have all the goods we need. We're short on fighters and laborers. Try to scrounge us up some, and put the word out that we need fighters to protect the caravan."

Jenkins picks up his massive club, slings it on his shoulder, and stomps off to the tavern. As he arrives, he sees a rather large man bodily flying out of the door.

"And stay out, you brute! If I see you again it's off to the prisons with you, nobility or not!"

Jenkins walks up and helps the man up "Seems like you're in need of a way out of here"

"Does it now?"

"Show up at the caravan field in the morrow if you want to leave here"

Jenkins tries to casually stroll into the tavern....of course he's an orc with a club, so casual is a bit....off. He bellows out to all those in the room, though everyone in the building and likely the nearby street can hear him.

"My Master is looking for fighters and laborers for his caravan. We move out tomorrow for the Jentara Mountains to trade for Mithril. Anyone joining us will be fed and get paid once we get to the mines. The Caravan is at the fields outside the city."

Satisfied with himself for stringing so many words together, Jenkins stomps out of the tavern and back to his WagonMaster.

(For one reason or another, all of you are within earshot of the announcement. Nick, your character was the one bodily thrown from the tavern....you're not exactly well loved in these parts....something about insulting someone's wife)
    Last edited by TacCovert4; 19 Nov 12, 19:33.
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

A dark-eyed and light-skinned young Human man grins at the mention of Mithril and gets up to settle his affairs, starting with his bar tab.
    He is a tall, wiry fellow in leather armor, armed with a crossbow and a compact sword with a broad-leaf blade similar to what Gladiators might have used in days gone by.

"I hear the open road calling... Eat, drink, and get ignorant, my friends, for tomorrow I fly!"
    "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

The barkeep sees the prod of a crossbow under his cloak: "And you get out of here with those weapons. You know the're not allowed in the capital! I don't need the Guardsmen coming down here and busting up my place, I run a good business here!"

Comment

Looks like I need to re-read your guide to the realm.

Which city are we in?

Edit- My bad, I was trying to describe the character and had little more to go with than the hardware.

Let me try again- Tall, slim to the point of being skinny, moves like a snake with wary eyes and light footsteps, he can rival some elves in that department. He wears a dun-colored cloak of cheap material over black leather that is not cheap at all, nor boiled hard.
        He leaves anything that would draw attention to himself at whatever cache' he's managed to set up.

As for a name, he uses Mozenwraith Kendari these days.

(as for full kit and supplies, I don't know myself yet)
        Last edited by The Exorcist; 19 Nov 12, 23:36.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
          "My Master is looking for fighters and laborers for his caravan. We move out tomorrow for the Jentara Mountains to trade for Mithril. Anyone joining us will be fed and get paid once we get to the mines. The Caravan is at the fields outside the city."

Satisfied with himself for stringing so many words together, Jenkins stomps out of the tavern and back to his WagonMaster.

(For one reason or another, all of you are within earshot of the announcement. Nick, your character was the one bodily thrown from the tavern....you're not exactly well loved in these parts....something about insulting someone's wife)
          Lord Bruno, stirs and uses his covered great axe to help himself stand up. Scratching his head and dusting himself off, he thinks its time to move on.

That caravan seems like a good idea he muses, and strides over to Jenkins.
          I may be your man. What's the pay like?
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

{Yes Exo, if ever you were wondering why I was so generous with that weapon of choice of yours...now you know....it's noted in the main thread that certain weapons are forbidden/restricted in the cities....though that rule is generally only enforced in the capitals where the administrative power has a large force of guardsmen}

Jenkins looks over the big man standing in front of him, and says in a growling voice: "Jenkins....formerly of the coal cartel. And you, if you can use that axe of yours, can make a worthwhile sum when we reach the Mithril mines. It is a journey, and the halflings are restless..."

Jenkins then turns around and walks away "Be there at dawn. No later"

Comment

From a dark corner of the tavern a cloaked figure emerges, moving through the crowd quickly, he throws a few coins on the bar waving the barman to keep the change.

Leaving the tavern in a hurried stride, he catches up with Jenkins:

"Pardon me sir,.."

"I'd be willing to take your master up on his offer, I have some time to kill and the Jentara mountains sounds like as good a place as any..."

His grin reveals he's quite aware of the lack of credibility of this motive.

"I'm fairly proficient with my bow and can serve as a hunter or provide ranged support if you need it - while my knowledge of these lands is limited I am sure I can make myself usefull as scout too should the need arise."

"If you feel my services could be of use I'll make my preparations and join your party at dawn..."
              Last edited by Snowygerry; 21 Nov 12, 02:25.
              High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
              Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Jenkins looks at the stranger, and snorts, obviously not one to be impressed by an archer. He just says "Dawn" as he walks away back towards the caravan.

Comment

As dawn breaks, Kag Knarr and Jenkins look over the men that have assembled for the jobs of fighters and laborers on the caravan. A few of the locals have strong backs, but no discernible training, and are taken on as laborers. More expect to be taken on as fighters, or for other reasons, and after looking over them with his trained eye, Kag turns to Jenkins:

"I thought I told you to get me fighters. These are barely farmers with pitchforks, some of them if that. Halflings would go through this crop in minutes, never mind a Firbolg raiding party. I'll be better letting the Ogres and merchants fight for themselves. Send them all away, except the elf....Elves have always been good luck for me. And maybe he really is a mage, though I doubt it a lot coming from this city. And next time you go to get fighters, try to find a better tavern to look in!"

"Wagonmaster, I did speak to a tavern that had several with the right look about them. But they may have had affairs to do, or just don't want the job."

Kag Knarr ignores Jenkins' excuse, instead looking over his shoulder to see a loose group approaching the caravan. Some of the men visibly hung over, but nevertheless a few that appear to have a martial air about them.

"Ah, maybe a few of these men wish to join up. We can certainly use the big man with the axe. The rest, well we shall see."

Comment

In another dark corner of the tavern, sits a tall, well-built young man. With long reddish-blond hair, grayish-blue eyes, and is in mostly leather. His legs are so long they almost stick out from under the rickety table. He isn't speaking to anyone. Only when the barmaid refills his ale tankard. He politely says softly, "Go raibh maith agat." He keeps to himself, as to not draw notice. As soon as the group leaves the tavern, the tall man says something softly to his wolf under his table, and he gets up and follows the man. He drops money on the bar table, and leaves, gathering his gear.

He comes up to the rear of the travellers. "Dia dhoibt," he says softly, as a greeting. "I'm Cormac FitzAirth, and this is Fergus, my wolf. I overheard ye wanted men?" FitzAirth was well over 6'2, he was very well built, and was carrying a spear, and a roundshield. He wore leather mostly, with a chainmail shirt. He glanced over the men in the caravan, wondering if they trusted him.
                    Last edited by rebpreacher; 20 Nov 12, 20:15.
                    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Kag Knarr ignores Jenkins' excuse, instead looking over his shoulder to see a loose group approaching the caravan. Some of the men visibly hung over, but nevertheless a few that appear to have a martial air about them.

"Ah, maybe a few of these men wish to join up. We can certainly use the big man with the axe. The rest, well we shall see."
                      "I wish to join up, sir.."

The request must likely come as somewhat of surprise to Kag Knarr since it comes from a cloaked figure sitting on a rock fairly close to him.

He seems to have not been among the peasants nor was he part of the group of new arrivals, he's clearly human and the exotic looking, composite bow resting beside him leaves little doubt about his profession, yet for some reason he had remained unnoticed untill he introduced himself:

"Ayanda is my name, and if you agree I'm ready to set out immediately..."
                      Last edited by Snowygerry; 21 Nov 12, 07:30.
                      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
                      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

Kag jumps imperceptibly, the years of experience with all kinds of travelers having helped him discipline himself. Turning to the stranger he looks him over, and his bow. With a sigh he says:

"And I suppose you think you're some sort of ranger? Well, you can come along, but if you're just a farmer with a fancy bow, don't be surprised if you're putting up tents instead of gallivanting off by yourself into the forest. Halflings don't take too kindly to strangers, and they really take offense at a caravan full of them."

Kag, obviously not a fan of archers, turns back towards the group walking up on the caravan.

[OOC: Just trying to get basic introductions here, we don't need a huge amount of banter. Once we move out there will be plenty of time for that sort of thing at other junctures.]

Comment

FitzAirth walks up to the leader, whom he presumes to be the leader, Fergus his wolf in tow. He realizes many eyes are upon him. "Maidin mhaith to you kind sir." He is unsure of what he wants to say, but knows what he wants to do. "I would like to join your band," he pauses, then gives a short display of his prowess with his spear. "Can you use a spearman?" he asks, and shyly smiles under his long bangs.
                          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Kag looks at the spearman, and his very wolfish dog.

"Ah, finally, a real fighter." He says. "I think your skills will suffice, and your shield is welcome here."

Kag gives a thoughtful glance at the man, and then his 'dog' and shakes his head slightly as more arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                              Kag looks at the spearman, and his very wolfish dog.

"Ah, finally, a real fighter." He says. "I think your skills will suffice, and your shield is welcome here."

Kag gives a thoughtful glance at the man, and then his 'dog' and shakes his head slightly as more arrive.
                              Bruno scowls.
                              What am I? Dogmeat?
                              He then looks at the spearman.
                              Bet you a pint I kill the first bandit before you and your crochet stick.
                              Thinks a bit. Actually thinks quite a bit more.
                              Bet you two pints I kill a bandit before your cutie little puppy dog.
                              How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                              Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X