• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    Elf spellsword or swashbuckler sounds good to me
    Great minds think alike... damnit.

Or, maybe that's not such a bad thing.
    Groups of totally different folks with divergent backgrounds are kinda rare, except in some peculiar stories. Might be best to start off with people who are at least familiar with each other, or have similar interests.

I assumed we would start at 1st level, but is that true?

Comment

We are not going to restrict your characters to specific races, aside from the gautiere and the seafaring Elves, which are NPC.

However, I'd like to make clear the racial/special politics of this world:

The Dwarves have been extinct for over a millenia or so.

The Orcs have taken up the traditional dwarven program of mining, and they run the racket. They're much more businesslike than 'traditional' orcs.

The Seafaring Elves, the true elves, for whatever reason not only run the racket on any sea trade, but have also essentially interdicted this continent, and those on it. They are extremely xenophobic.

The Landser Elves, mildly ostricized by their seafaring brethren, pretty much handle the port trade. They have several large port towns, and also do a lot of fishing and other stuff, but they're on the continent rather than the elven domains. Seeing one inland is somewhat odd unless he's trading goods or fish or something. Being cut off from the vast majority of elven culture, landsers aren't given the same access to educational/training/magical forging opportunities as their brethren at sea.

The Firblog inhabit the highland plateau that sits before the orc-owned mountains. They are prolific raiders, and as such draw the everlasting ire of the humans and the orcs. It's just not economical to start a war of eradication over them, as it would be very very costly.

The Halflings are 'native' of a sort, they've been inhabiting areas of the continent longer than most races. It's also not economical to start a war of eradication, rather to just encourage them to die off or retreat into the far wilds.

The Gautiere inhabit the desert, and well, they run the show down there, whatever it is. Rarely do they leave, and even more rarely does someone enter their desert and return.

The Humans really run the show in much of the continent. Their three kingdoms might rely on the orcs, but it's a relationship of convenience, and because the three kingdoms can never get along good enough to really go after any of the other groups en masse. But they definitely have a lot of power as a race, and sometimes take it out on the other races within their realms.

Just note the last one. I'm not trying to restrict you guys, but it's worth noting that if your whole party is elves, firblog, and such, that some paths might not be open to you, and you might draw issues down on yourselves from the humans that have rather large kingdoms. Now, that might be something you want to do, or it might not be. However, a human or two in your party could make things easier when it comes to dealing with the humans, especially in the capital cities and such.

And a note on weapons as well.....remember that your party might or might not be augmented with NPCs from time to time. So keep in mind that your party could have to be self-sufficient on the gear it has. To make a firefly reference....Kaylee is no good in a fight, but she's essential to the crew. Same goes for Simon. Everybody will have fighting ability and weapons or armor or both, but you might need someone with healing talents, or someone stealty, or someone able to talk your group out of trouble, etc.

And how we will do the weapons rolling....there will be 7 rolls of 3 x D6 dice. You'll announce your race and character type before getting the results of the rolls. You'll then use the contents of one roll to gear up (or in the case of mages get extra training), and the other 6 will go to stats. If you don't spend all your 'gear' points, then they go to saving throws, or additional skill with your weapons. This way is simple, fair, quite random, and ok....mildly sadistic as you sit there and agonize on where to sacrifice....But I think it'll make your characters unique, interesting, and something that can be improved upon as the game progresses.
      Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

Oh, and since we will be trying to start soon (and we can fold in players that show up later), I'd like all interested parties to take a good look and start deciding on what they want to be. As for weapons, we're going to use the Wiki for melee and ranged weapons....a huge variety, going from the very cheap quarterstaff or javelin all the way up to the expensive sword and longbow.....spelled weapons will be very expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...combat_weapons

Anything on that list that is not obviously modern, or uses gunpowder, is acceptable as a shield or weapon. Armors are cloth, leather, splint, maille, half plate, and full plate. They can also vary in price based on the materials used (mithril vice bronze, etc....)

Comment

He's correct.

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Perhaps our Elves should be called Sidhe, and the characters could all come from Tir Nan Og? We could be ship wrecked survivors, unable to remember how we got to this land? It would sort out our background, and why Elves and Giants were travelling together. Just a thought .
          This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think I'll keep my plans secret, and just do it.

Comment

I have plans, but I have to sit on them too. All you people know is I am Firbolg.

Comment

As I said earlier, being 6'5" it would feel funny playing an elf.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                  Just note the last one. I'm not trying to restrict you guys, but it's worth noting that if your whole party is elves, firblog, and such, that some paths might not be open to you, and you might draw issues down on yourselves from the humans that have rather large kingdoms. Now, that might be something you want to do, or it might not be. However, a human or two in your party could make things easier when it comes to dealing with the humans, especially in the capital cities and such.
                  Ok, I'll be a human Lord, strong and personable, but not too bright and a tad rash.

Stats in order are strength, constitution, charisma, dexterity, intelligence then wisdom.

Name: Lord Bruno the Questionable. Hope to become king one day

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                  Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Since we using DnD rules i assume mages have armore restcrisions. So my charctar

A elve mage who focuses in divination. He works has a adviser.

Stats are in this order

int. wis, dext, cha, con, str

you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

To update, so that anyone thinking of a character knows which ones are already out there with the other players, we have currently:

A Human Lord
                      A Firbolg Druid
                      An Elf Mage

I'm not placing restrictions on what types of characters are needed for the party. Just keep in mind that if it's overbalanced in one direction or another you might find your options to be limited.

And another note, for informative purposes. Nearly every player that has specified which of their 7 die rolls goes to weapons/armor/etc. has designated their lowest roll. Keep in mind that the type and quality of weapons/armor available to choose from is based upon this roll. So using a 3-4 puts you in the realm of holding a stick and wearing clothes. While an 18 puts you in good chainmaille and carrying a well-made hand and a half sword or somesuch. I know that it's natural to want to boost up your stats, but keep in mind that it might be some time before you have enough money, or access to a market, wherewith to purchase new gear. You could be fighting your first battle without the benefit of needed weapons or armor or a shield, so you might want to think about how you're distributing your rolls in character creation.

And yes, opportunities to upgrade gear/sell old gear will arise, as will the occasional useful spoil.

Comment

Oh, and after an epiphany (not really), I realized that I'm considering knives to be part of your kit. Since this is one of those eras where knives are relatively universal, it's assumed that everyone will have a knife or dagger reflecting their class.

Comment

I have a few questions:
                          Is a spellsword like a fighter/mage who can use melee and ranged weapons but is very fast and has a high constitution?
                          2. It is says they have pre-weaved spells. Do these gain more power as the level of the character goes up. Can they get different spells as time passes?

Comment

Originally posted by The last bullet View Post
                            I have a few questions:
                            Is a spellsword like a fighter/mage who can use melee and ranged weapons but is very fast and has a high constitution?
                            2. It is says they have pre-weaved spells. Do these gain more power as the level of the character goes up. Can they get different spells as time passes?
                            Constitution and speed are determined by where you place the results of the die rolls.

A spellsword CAN weave chits with spells. Their chief advantage, however, is that they can use spells weaved by a mage through the chits. That lets them use spells in combat that ordinarily they're not powerful enough to use.

Spellswords chief advantages are that they blend a bit of magic in with a mastery of their weapon. Their disadvantages are that they carry only one weapon, and no armor, so they rely on magic and their skills to protect them alone.

Comment

Sounds like Spellswords are kinda weak, but.... what are "chits"?

Yeah, its been a LONG time for me.

Comment

Spellswords kind of combine 2 disciplines...mages and swordsmen. Yes, I'd say they're quite weak at low levels, and conversely quite strong at high levels. Compared to a straight fighter that is more balanced at all levels and can increase armor or weapons loadout to match.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X