Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires of the Lost, a Role Playing Game by TacCovert4 and Dashy

Ello and wot wot

This is the newest gaming proposition for you purveyance, provided by the Honorable TacCovert4 and Myself.

This will be set in the world of Lioanr, a planet similar to our own bar in two respects. It has somewhat more biodiversity when it comes to sentient races and contains Magic.

This game will be run using the good 'ol 2nd edition D&D system, with heavy changes to bring it up (or down) to ACG standards. Magic will be present, but will not be a dominating factor. People who use magic will be rare, and magical items will be even rarer.

To a brief explanation of the world.

The Game will begin on the landmass of Oorthanus, known as Si'rasamouran to Elves and Kith'Granuth to the now extinct dwarves. The continent is roughly the size of Australia, with a massive desert in the south, and a large mountain range running through the middle. Roughly 150 years before the game timeline, a massive war took place in which Mages used vast amounts of magic to wreak havoc, weakening magic as a whole and creating a rift of distrust between "Normal" people and Mages.

Humans dominate the landmass, using three old dwarven strongholds as capital cities. However the humans are at odds with another, each stronghold housing a different culture, the northerners are Scandinavian in look, but Arabic in culture, to the west lie Humans that look like plains Indians and operate under a feudal structure and there is a merchant republic in the east, with a people who most ethnically resemble the bushmen of southern Africa.

Elves are the seafarers, operating from an archipelago that extends to cover one fourth of the continent. their blazingly fast dhows and xebecs prevent any of the continentals leaving Si'rasamouran, they are radically xenophobic, both towards other races and "The Landed ones", elves born on land.

Dwarves are extinct, having been wiped out long before living memory.

Halflings are the only indigenous race. they have been forced from their ancestral lands, and most have turned savage. they occasionally raid civilised settlements, but are a dying race.

Orcs own the mountains, where they control the production, smelting and selling of ores and precious metals. Their culture runs like a mafia mob, with 7 "Bosses" ruling the Jentara mountains between them, with each boss having "rule" over a single material (Iron, Copper, Gold, Silver, Coal, Diamond, Mithril). The Mithril Orcs have unofficially ruled the Jentara Mountains for over 200 years.

Firblogs are giant men, roughly 7 meters tall, who inhabit the highlands between the Jentara Mountains. they raid orcish cravans for sustencance and valuables, though the occasional clan provides protection for an orcish cartel. (essentially giant scotsmen)

The inhabitants of the desert are known as the Gautiere, they are mostly shorter than humans, but taller than halflings. Gautiere are mysterious, and usually don't show their faces, leaving them wrapped behind layers of rags.

Ogres were largely wiped out during the mage wars, the survivors were forced into servitude, and live lives as glorified oxen. it is legal to own ogre slaves in all states.

Goblins are in a similar situation to ogres, they were decimated during the war and now live as an underclass in the Human cities, begging and stealing to make a living.

Thats the general setting, any interest?
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

I would like to express thanks to Exorcist for all his work in keeping the Firefly game alive. I do think that it is the longest running RPG in ACG history, and his efforts have been invaluable to making it so. I would also like to say that this is in no way a dig against his work with the game, this is something that has been in the works for quite some time.

Now, I would like to help clarify and reassure those laypeople among us that don't play DnD, like myself. Dashy is most definitely the brains of the outfit. My efforts have been in the 'realism' department. Suffice to say that a lot of the magical elements have been cut out, or made taxing on the user, so that you don't have a game full of mages hurling fire at every juncture. Most of us like something a bit more 'real' and medieval than what we perceive of the 'normal' DnD setup. And that is most definitely what this is. If you want to be a mage, you can be one. But don't be expecting to do cosmic-powers stuff right off the bat.

Now, with all of that in mind, we've also simplified character creation, so you can customize at will (within some small limits), or hurry up and get a useful character without much effort. Appealing to the casual and hard-core RPGer at that.

So who's ready to begin? Adventures and opportunities await.......
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

As always I'm interested in most any forum game

I have no real experience in forum RPGs - most games around being of the military type, but I have played some PC RPGs years ago so I should be able to grasp the basics.

That being said - I will be off-line for three weeks or so around the new year, so likely any role I take up will have to be able to accommodate that.

Other than that I'm online mo/fri 9/4 GMT+1 as usual - tnx.

Edit:

Is there any reason my post here should not show up in my "posts made"-list ??
      Last edited by Snowygerry; 13 Nov 12, 07:51.
      High Admiral Snowy, Commander In Chief of the Naval Forces of The Phoenix Confederation.
      Major Atticus Finch - ACW Rainbow Co.

Comment

No offense taken, TaC, but its been going on a LONG time, and my latest shapter seems to be dying.
        I'll try and wrap it up, just one twist left to go, and then maybe we can get that over-loaded thing done with.

Yes, I would like to get into this, and I have an idea for a couple of Chars that could make things very interesting.
        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

I'm interested .
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Well, to all that wish to create characters, I guess first you need to know a couple of the laws governing the lands ruled by the human kingdoms:

1) Firblog and halflings are generally not permitted in the fortress cities. Not saying you can't be one, only that you'd be a member of a race that is at war with the humans. There might be ways around this difficulty, but that's something you'd have to work out. Of course nothing says you have to enter the fortress-cities. And while not common, it's not unheard of to see these races moving about the human realms....though they're understandably not loved.

2) Ogres and Goblins are not permitted "weapons". Now no one cares about your average knife, and obviously a stave is a walking stick, a club is for pounding flax, and a hammer or mallet is a tool. But Ogres or Goblins with real weapons are outlaws, and those seen publicly with same around the King's men will likely be headed to a summary execution. Again, not precluding you being one of these races, in fact it can make your character more interesting....

3) Outside the cities and developed regions this doesn't really matter, but it is forbidden to openly carry certain weapons unless you're an actively serving soldier or a member of the nobility. Those include Swords, magicked weapons, and crossbows. If you get caught with them, then prepare to explain, and likely have it confiscated. Outside the cities this law is not enforced as it is widely known that the army cannot provide total security.

Also note that the weapon(s) you start with will factor into the cost of your total character, which is limited for fairness to all players. So be careful about picking out highly expensive weapons like swords, especially the really nice ones, high quality armors, and other expensive-to-make gear. Again, I'm not precluding you from doing so, only noting that doing so initially might not be in your best interest, and asserting that this game rewards a small bit of variety......

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
              Well, to all that wish to create characters, I guess first you need to know a couple of the laws governing the lands ruled by the human kingdoms:

1) Firblog and halflings are generally not permitted in the fortress cities. Not saying you can't be one, only that you'd be a member of a race that is at war with the humans. There might be ways around this difficulty, but that's something you'd have to work out. Of course nothing says you have to enter the fortress-cities. And while not common, it's not unheard of to see these races moving about the human realms....though they're understandably not loved.

2) Ogres and Goblins are not permitted "weapons". Now no one cares about your average knife, and obviously a stave is a walking stick, a club is for pounding flax, and a hammer or mallet is a tool. But Ogres or Goblins with real weapons are outlaws, and those seen publicly with same around the King's men will likely be headed to a summary execution. Again, not precluding you being one of these races, in fact it can make your character more interesting....

3) Outside the cities and developed regions this doesn't really matter, but it is forbidden to openly carry certain weapons unless you're an actively serving soldier or a member of the nobility. Those include Swords, magicked weapons, and crossbows. If you get caught with them, then prepare to explain, and likely have it confiscated. Outside the cities this law is not enforced as it is widely known that the army cannot provide total security.

Also note that the weapon(s) you start with will factor into the cost of your total character, which is limited for fairness to all players. So be careful about picking out highly expensive weapons like swords, especially the really nice ones, high quality armors, and other expensive-to-make gear. Again, I'm not precluding you from doing so, only noting that doing so initially might not be in your best interest, and asserting that this game rewards a small bit of variety......
              I've just stumbled upon this and would greatly appreciate someone explaining it to me.
              I played dungeons and dragons as a young 'un.
              Is this what you refererring to when you write DnD?
              Can somebody spare me a paragraph outlining the essentials?

Comment

Yep, this be Dungeons and Dragons.

Essentially you folks will roll up a character of one of the races, and will co-operate to navigate the fiendish world me and Tac will devise. I will be the hidden mechanics, whilst Tac will provide the fluff and run the actual game.

Comment

Feel free to go ahead and start coming up with your character. As for skills and weapons and such, you can post up any questions here. The magic engine for this world includes the very rare spelled weapon. You can also be a spellcaster.....use of magic is taxing on your body, and if you're not strong enough some spells can exhaust you, affect your health, or kill you. Magic comes at a price in this world.

Anywho, everyone feel free to work out character creation questions here....

Comment

Can I play a gnome illusionist???
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnome_%...%26_Dragons%29

One of my old toons...
                    Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

no gnomes sorry Bwaha, simply didn't evolve/become created on this world.

Comment

I'm versed in the Firblogs from Ireland. Of Tuatha De Danann. I am well-versed in Irish Gods and Mythology. That help? I'd be interested in being one of those. Being U.S. 6'5" I am not a dwarf.
                        This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Example Character (without advanced stats)

Ok, so say I want to play a Firblog, I'll roll up me stats, 3d6 6 times (3 6 sided die 6 times).

Say that gives me a 15, 10, 9, 13, 7 and a 5.

I want my Firblog to be strong, so I give him the 15 in strength, since he's a Firblog he gets a +2 to strength (capped at 19) bringing him to 17.

Since my Firblog is young, I'm not going to give him muchos wisdom, so I'll put the 5 there.

My Firblog will also be somewhat dexterous, so I'll give the lad a 13 in dexterity.

and so on so forth, assigning stats as to make my character closest to what i envision for my basic dude.

end result would look as thus

STR: 17
                          DEX: 13
                          CON: 9
                          WIS: 5
                          INT: 7
                          CHA: 8 (-2 for racial disability)

now I can build my characters story around this text. Keep in mind that 9 is dead average, 8-5 is below average, 3-4 is extremely low, and 10-14 is above average whilst 15-18 is entering world record levels. 18+ is superhuman.

So my Firblog is extremely strong ad somewhat manuverable, while not being the smartest of lads. So when roleplaying this guy I would remember he prefers to solve problems using force, rather than reason, and apply this in situations.

of course he wouldn't always use force, and he's not stupid or savage enough to just kill everyone to solve his problems.

the stats themselves should be self explanatory, Str is for physical limitations in terms of lifting and hitting things, dex is mobility and general ninjaness, Con is overall health, resistance to disease and poision, Wis is common sense whilst int is straight intelligence, cognitive power. lastly Cha is a characters likeability.

If you need more info on races just ask away.

Comment

Is there a role for "an authority figure"?
                            Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

Prayers.

BoRG

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

Comment

Sal, if you want to play a smaller than average figure, you could be a halfling or goblin. Halflings are pretty much half dwarf/half elf. That's why there rather xenophobic....trust me there's a reason dwarves don't exist, and it's not pretty. As you can note, goblins aren't an upper-class race in this society.

Your choices, if you want to be decidedly upper-class, are a landser elf, a noble human, or an Orc of one of the clans. Gautiere are so reclusive that they're almost not a PC at all.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X