Testing the waters for a WW 2 game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing the waters for a WW 2 game

At this point this is just a musing more than anything else. Who might be interested in playing, on the boards here, a WW 2 personal RPG where you choose a nation and miitary service (in detail) for yourself (within reason... ie., no Field Marshalls) as you might have served in WW 2. The game then goes month by month through the war for each player with your unit, assignements, etc., set by your choices and a referee. You could be killed or captured, etc., based on historical events and probability. You could be awarded, promoted, etc., too. Of course, you might be rejected for service based on your input and later drafted, or forced to choose something else based on the information you give.

I would want to try and make it based on a starting point somewhere within your own life as far as experiance, etc. For actual veterans they might choose to move their own career to a point convienent to be in the service when war comes. I'm still working the details out how this would work completely but I think it is managable.

Would anyone be interested?

I would be interested.

put me down as "Intrigued"
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

So you're thinking a monthly event/choices model with a different strand for every player?

I'm intrigued, though I've become a bit wary of RPGs for myself (my timetable sometimes kidnaps me for long periods of time where my posting is scarce, as my frequently-lapsed games will attest). How many players are you seeing, if your workload is going to be multiplied that many times over?
      Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

1. What about partisans are they included?

2. If we are drafted are the assignments more boring is branch completely different from what we wanted like Army- Navy?

3. If we are captured can we try to escape: what are the odds of success.

4. Do you include armed forces that have been swallowed by Nazi Germany 1939-45 like Czechoslovakia and Poland post 1939?

Comment

Originally posted by The last bullet View Post
          1. What about partisans are they included?
          Only if you choose either a nation that is over run orginally where they existed and then start at that point choosing to be one, or if you are in a military were it might be possible post surrender / being overrun (ie., you are in say the Russian army and your unit is overrun and you end up a partisan by military action).

2. If we are drafted are the assignments more boring is branch completely different from what we wanted like Army- Navy?
          Many assignments may be boring even if you volunteer. That's the nature of the military. Just because you want to be an Army Ranger doesn't mean the war fairy will grant your wish.... So, you very well may end up with a boring career in WW 2 like it or not....

3. If we are captured can we try to escape: what are the odds of success.
          Why not? And the odds of success would be very low.

4. Do you include armed forces that have been swallowed by Nazi Germany 1939-45 like Czechoslovakia and Poland post 1939?
          Of course. You could be a Czech citizen who enlists in the Polish army that escapes to France, then to Britain, and volunteers for service, then gets discharged in Egypt and ends up in Ethiopia where the British want to deport you as a foreign national and you end up in a machine shop working a lathe at the ex-Italian naval base at Massawa for the US Navy (actual case of that happening...).

Comment

Originally posted by Khryses View Post
            So you're thinking a monthly event/choices model with a different strand for every player?
            Yes, with your starting skills set being roughly based on your own experiances and education at some appropriate age for the nation you choose. That way you end up going into the service with about the level of skills and knowledge you actually possess so you have an easier time dealing with events on a realistic level.

I would want to avoid the parapalegic 300 lbs fat @%@@ in a wheelchair who has spent their life programming trying to be a Commando or paratrooper with nothing to relate to that whatsoever. Instead, I'd reject them for service and put them in an appropriate civilian job and they get to work it from that angle.

The idea here is that you are in WW 2 and having to deal with events as they might have happened to you.

Now, I know that won't be 100% accurate but I think I can pull that off for most nations and areas of occupation.

Comment

"In the absence of orders...find something and kill it!" Lt. General Erwin Rommel, 1942

Comment

You're bold, gutsy, full of vision and quite possibly crazy...

...but I'm with David

Captain Khryses, Silver Star Omnilift Wing

Comment

It sounds interesting. I might give it a try.
                  Michele

Comment

I'd be interested.

-Matt
                    SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

I'm in a similar position to Khryses. I'll think about it, but tentatively in.

Comment

Seems to be Europe-oriented.

Any chance I could start out as a pilot with the Flying Tigers?
                        "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
                          Seems to be Europe-oriented.

Any chance I could start out as a pilot with the Flying Tigers?
                          The way I intended to design it was to be as open to as many different careers as possible. I'm still working on the details but why not? You could try and go that way.

Comment

I'm game, I think I have the time to do something like this, seems more light and fun than involved.
                            Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Comment

I think you guys will need an artillerist.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X