If the War of 1812 occured in 2012: Great Lakes Naval Operations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post

I've been playing 1812: Invasion of Canada and the topic is still on my mind. I thought to ask the question How would the War of 1812 play out in 2012 with current military capabilities but as everyone knows America kicks ass, I decided to change and narrow the topic a bit.

Contemplating the question brought me to a more intriging and thought provoking question: what would a Great Lakes naval campaign look like?

In the War of 1812 neither of the two nations had a real standing navy in the Great Lakes but needed to conduct naval operations there. Consequently they had to improvise one and fast, with scratch navies being hastily assembled as needed.

Where 1812 to 2012 gets interesting is that if a Great Lakes campaign were to occur today, the very same factors would apply. As a waterborne confrontation, America's naval superiority is totally neutralized since all our ships are on the oceans, the Great Lakes remain unmilitarized, and you can't really portage a big ol' aircraft carrier. The playing field becomes significantly leveled.

Now I admit the fatal flaw to this What If scenario is that the whole reason for cranking out a Lakes navy in 1812 was to transport and support ground troops. In an age of airpower, this would be a moot issue as planes would be handling the job better than any improvised navy.

But suppose, just for the sake of theory, that for whatever reason America and Canada came to blows in the Great Lakes and saw fit to once more utilize a scratch navy in the Lakes. What would that naval campaign look like under modern means? Since both of us have our naval infrastructure on the coastlines, how would things go in assembling the fleet. Both nations are in a race to assemble and that means cut corners. Would we see converted merchant ships? What kind of fighting vessels could you create given the Great Lake harbors' current shipbuilding capabilities? Might there be a resugence of privateers? How would the battle go?

Serious question and the more I think about it, the more interesting it gets.

Might even make an interesting board game...
    Where did you get that game from? Or how did you get it?

Also have you considered playing ETW or NTW?

Comment

Originally posted by Hesse-Kassel View Post
      Where did you get that game from? Or how did you get it?

Also have you considered playing ETW or NTW?
      Amazon.com
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
        The French messed with our shipping too, interestingly enough. Perhaps the better solution would have been to just deny both sides commerce since both sides misbehaved with neutrals.

Ehhh, I'll keep use of the term citizen. The RN claimed it grabbed just British deserters. That the settlement involved both compensation and repatriation of American sailors shows that they did in fact grab US citizens too. Whether on purpose or by accident, it happened.
        Cant remeber how the French isssue was resolved but there was a short undeclared war prior to the war of 1812

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
        X