Konigerdammerung, The Beginnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Konigerdammerung, The Beginnings

Previously, our Germanic Wargames have been focused primarily on perfecting the combat system, and on working on some other aspects. It was just unfortunate timing that tended to ruin the chances of a full-blown PvP wargame getting started.

However, I believe that time is come, and if there are 3-6 other souls that believe equally, we shall embark on a journey frought with danger and peril, treachery and chivalry. For this is not the ending, this is the beginning of that end.

The time: 1080. Northern Germany. City-States such as Hamburg and Bremen loosely hold onto independence from feudal lords. Danish Vikings threaten the seas and the coastlines, as well as invasion from whole Danish Armies. Northern Germany is a potential powder-keg of violence, if they only knew what a powder-keg was. There are wars to be fought, and deals to be made, because the French, English, Austrians, Danes, Poles, and possibly even Italians are all interested in increasing their influence.

Now, down to some of the basics:

For those that have played this game before, you'll notice first and foremost that there's going to be a bit more 'nation building' involved, with 3 or 6 month turns there (depending upon the number of participants and the rapidity of war). You're not getting well-established states, but this has the benefit of allowing you a bit more breathing space in how you want them developed. You'll have income (some fixed, some variable) which you can manage to train units, hire mercs, upgrade equipment, and improve your lands so that you can make more 'Marks'. A lot of this will be kept abstract to you, and I as GM will handle it somewhat behind the scenes, so while you can steer your development, your focus is on the prosecution of war. The benefit, however, is that you get to choose your path. A small army of the greatest professionals since Alexander's Companions? A large army of levies? Give the nobility more power to raise men-at-arms at the risk of a coup, but less cost to the state? Or give the people more power and raise a self-equipping militia at the risk of the people refusing to participate in a war of conquest? All up to you, as will be the track of advancements made by your nation, because remember, in 1080 mounted knights were a recently proven thing, archery was in its infancy, and armor and arms were works in progress.

As for Combat, that'll be handled by my co-GM, Dashy. By splitting the responsibility, we should be able to handle it quite a bit better.

Foreign policy outside of the players in the game, will consist of your relations with several outside powers that are forward-thinking or expansionist. You might come to terms with the Danes to keep Vikings from raiding your lands. Or you might seek trade or patronage from the French or the English. Each choice will have consequences, from paying simple tribute, to allowing your patron a hand in your policies and actions, but a patron might send you advisors (to improve your training), craftsmen (to improve your weapons/armor), merchants (to improve your income), or troops (at little to no cost to you). Breaking patronage will also have consequences, ranging from the loss of trade, to subterfuge (your former patron starting a coup against you), to open warfare (your former patron launching an invasion to reclaim losses or assuage honor).

How you run your state is up to you, and how you fight (honorably or effectively) is up to you as well. Effective fighters will get mercenaries more cheaply, as they think you'll keep them alive to claim their pay. Honorable fighters will garner the support of knights-errant and their companies, which could vary in quality from poor to legendary.

So, who is for it? A good, old-fashioned wargame. Historical basis, historical tactics, historical weapons and armor, historical nations. The only way to change the march of history is You!
    Tacitos, Satrap of Kyrene

Koingerdammerung, Chapter one- Luther Koing

The Roots of the Events that led to the eventual crowning of Herbert the Golden as King of Northern Germania can be found in the year of our lord 1080, and those war struck years henceforth. Men fell as trees fore a storm, and a once backwards region became the place for lords of warfare to contest their prowess...
    Task Force Regenbogen- Support and Paras

Comment

All we need are 3 players, and we're good to go. There are slots available for up to 6 or more.

Comment

This intrigues me, but I'll probably read the previous threads to get an idea of what's involved before I decide whether to commit myself.
        Diadochi Rising Wargame:
        King Pairisades I of the Bosporan Kingdom

Comment

I'm in if you'll have me. My knowledge of the area is limited, but I have a working knowledge, and love for, the time period.
          "Look, a golden winged ship is passing my way"
          And I really didn't have to stop...I just kept on going.

"Castles Made Of Sand"-Jimi Hendrix from Axis:Bold As Love 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Anacreon View Post
            This intrigues me, but I'll probably read the previous threads to get an idea of what's involved before I decide whether to commit myself.
            I will note that this is going to be a bit different than the previous runs. Those were very combat-oriented, pretty much glossing over everything from battle to battle. In this rendition you will have some control, albiet abstracted so it doesn't get tedious, in the actual path your nation takes. You'll be posed with decisions, and you can suggest things as well, to improve your economy or population base. You can also commission weapons to be built, and armor as well, along with a couple of other things that will markedly improve the quality of your troops.

But it is a wargame first and foremost, and it's my intention to keep it that way, like the other wargames that have been enjoyed to their conclusion.

Comment

if anyone is interested, here is a compliation of all previous "Battle Updates"

And a word of warning, I play hardball when it comes to class, Knights will not freely associate with serfs, to the point of losing a battle (death before dishonor) and Most nobles and honorable professionals will avoid "Sneaky" tactics.

A few examples of what can go right/ wrong

Battle of Emtesk, the Inpromtu charge of Oldenburg

then Baron Rothbarg turned to the Knights and called them to charge, "Should we stand here and be slain or charge these knaves! i say charge, and if you do not charge, I shall charge alone and take the field unaided!" Thus did he charge, the arrow seem'd to part before him, the other knights broke ranks, charging the enemy in a silver wave. the archers loosed one more flight of arrows, but the knights seem'd to be protected by a hidden power, mayhap the lord himself, and were untouched and they swept the archers away before they could reach the safety of thier own lines.
              Seige of Hamburg, The Fire Trap that went wrong

Twas in this moment of triumph that Herbert's second surprise hit the men of Hannover. two ships, sails a-flutter and oars high, loaded down with hundreds of Genoese bowmen. they unleashed flight after flight of arrows into the packed ranks of Hannover, causing horrible losses, the river that encircled the city turned red with their blood, as the nile during the time of Moses. the Men at arms, having recently won a stunning victory, fled like dogs from the field, only the shining knights and sturdy archers held their position. using rocks stored by the defense, they hoped to deter the ships of Hamburg, however, Herbert had ordered the Archers to erect shields upon the decks, which saved the Genoese from harsh retribution. However, some of the Archers of Hannover noticed great piles of straw daubed in pitch near the gates, using dropped shields, they ran forwards to grab heaps of the straw, and then used it to make improvised arrows of fire, the pitch allowed the straw to stick to the arrows, and brasiers used by the men of Hamburg provided the light. soon arcs of fire arched towards the mighty ships, as a hellish rainbow. Fires were lit among the ships by these devilish arrows, and the captains pulled out of arrow shot to quell them, thus saving the tired Knights of Hannover.

etc etc etc
              Last edited by Dashy; 26 Dec 11, 19:35.

Comment

I might get in, if I can find a place that likes me.

How in-depth do you get, and how's the pace?
                "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

Depth is going to be somewhat less than the WWI game, but there will be room for people to advance their state, both economically and militarily. The pace will be a turn every week or 2 weeks, still deciding that. Turns will cover 3 months of time. Medieval warfare doesn't have the same 'speed' of WWI.

Comment

Oh Yes, Oh Yes, Oh Yes.

Let it be known that Exorcist shall henceforth be called (insert name here), Duke of Oldenburg.

There are still many fine nations available: Hamburg, Bremen, Mecklenburg, and Hannover.

Comment

Originally posted by TacCovert4 View Post
                      Let it be known that Exorcist shall henceforth be called (insert name here), Duke of Oldenburg.

There are still many fine nations available: Hamburg, Bremen, Mecklenburg, and Hannover.
                      Weren't Bremen and Hamburg the same thing, or did that come later?

Insert name here... how about Siedlitz?
                      "Why is the Rum gone?"

-Captain Jack

Comment

And so in those days it came to pass that Sir Claus Seidlitz wast anointed by the Grace of God to be Duke of Oldenburg. And he didst hath a state of both noble and merchant, both vying for his graces.

Comment

This actually sounds awesome and something I would be super interested in....but I'd have to learn all the rules and stuff because I have never done something like this.

Comment

To be blunt, you don't have to worry too much about rules. That's what I'm here for. As your GM, my job is to ease everyone's way through pesky things like rules and 'reality' so they can focus on getting immersed in the game. Your not even required to be knowledgeable about medieval anything to play. However, the more effort and research you put in, the better you're likely to do in some areas.

As long as you're willing to be a regular, and to devote a little bit of time to the game, you can do it. Your experience is based wholly on what you put into it. The reason I want to GM a game like this is because I've had so much fun playing the previous iterations that I want to be able to help others have the same amount of fun.

Comment

Here's a Map, nations in Red are unplayable, that leaves Hannover, Holstein, Mecklenburg (the big Three, large amount of land, large number of problems) and Lubek Oldenburg, Hamburg and Bremen+Bremerhaven, AKA Cuxhaven, (Small nations, small everything, BUT cities)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X